As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Woo GABF day 2!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    20141004_154202_zpslzxlkdaa.jpg

I'm a sucker for a beer with a cork in it.

It helps that this is delicious.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Same. Even if I know nothing about a beer, I'll buy it because it has a cork in it.

I'm a consumer whore.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I won't lie...I've never been disappointed by a beer with a cork in it.

Granted I've only had a couple but they've all been good.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    One of my favorite beers is about to be unveiled - Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.

sierra-nevada-2013-celebration-ale.jpg

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    That is a pretty big picture

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I was pouring for Troeg today.

They came correct.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    The girlfriend's family is in town from Belgium, so I decided to bring some fire with the American beers for them. Dogfish Head Burton Baton, an oak-aged IPA, Deschutes' Stout, and Robert the Bruce. All were well received. The Dogfish is a real kick in the pants at 10%, but doesn't have the oaky/malty/citrus counters the burn. They brought me a couple of bottles from a Belgian microbrewery, so we're all beer buddies now.

They're going out to New Glarus on Tuesday and I'm wicked jealous I won't get to join them.

• Options
    I've got

Old Rasputin
    Kroenenburg 1664
    Wells Banana Bread Beer
    Lucky Buddha Ale
    Certified Evil
    And an organic ESB

It's going to be a good Sunday.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I was pouring for Troeg today.

They came correct.

Troeg is my faaaaaaaavorite. Flying Mouflan is so good.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    No light shall ever pass through this Old Rasputin

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I won't lie...I've never been disappointed by a beer with a cork in it.

Granted I've only had a couple but they've all been good.

It's the special ingredient.
    Class.

• Options
    This Kroenenburg smells skunky. Doesn't taste that bad I guess.

Should have known better than to get a French beer.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Kroenenburg is basically the cheap swill that students buy. If you want good stuff, it's on the pricier end. I'd recommend trying out some trappist brews.

• Options
    This Stone Anniversary IPA is neat, it's very boozy. I think I'm gonna feel real good after I finish this bomber and eat some hot bean dip on tostitos.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    This Stone Anniversary IPA is neat, it's very boozy. I think I'm gonna feel real good after I finish this bomber and eat some hot bean dip on tostitos.

I had one of these the other day. It's great.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Kroenenburg is basically the cheap swill that students buy. If you want good stuff, it's on the pricier end. I'd recommend trying out some trappist brews.

I've had good French beers. I was just joking.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I am probably going to drink 3 different kids of beer tonight. This is a good thing.

• Options
    The Lucky Buddha was really generic and boring. Nifty bottle at least. This organic ESB is quite good though.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I love this Banana Bread Beer. It's starts off so mediocre but by the end the banana is coming out and it becomes delicious

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Last time I was in the package store, they had set up a rack of high dollar 750ml bottles. Is Sucre worth 35 bucks? Because I'm tempted to pick it up and set it aside for a special occasion.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    This Certified Evil might be darker than the Old Rasputin

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    A BEER WITH A COCK IN IT?

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    A BEER WITH A COCK IN IT?

Hard Cock Ale

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Last time I was in the package store, they had set up a rack of high dollar 750ml bottles. Is Sucre worth 35 bucks? Because I'm tempted to pick it up and set it aside for a special occasion.

I would not pay 35 for Sucre. At that price point, I better be getting something out of this world and Sucre is not in that league.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I did not like sucre at all. I do like the New Belgium Folly mix 12packs I've been getting for about $14

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »

I would not pay 35 for Sucre. At that price point, I better be getting something out of this world and Sucre is not in that league.

That's what I was thinking, I can't fathom why they set the price so high on that.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    279 different breweries put an American IPA into the ring at the GABF. It is, as with every year, the most contested category with the most entries.

Pallet Jack from Barley Brown's took the gold to Oregon in '13. And now Breakside's IPA keeps the title in-state for another year. :D

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tapistry Brewing in Brigman, MI (about 20 miles north of me) took 3rd at GABF in the strong porter category. I really need to get up there to try more of their beers.

• Options
    Yeah, half the reason I enjoy flipping through the medal winners is the whole "who the hell are those guys and how the hell do I find them?"

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    279 different breweries put an American IPA into the ring at the GABF. It is, as with every year, the most contested category with the most entries.

Pallet Jack from Barley Brown's took the gold to Oregon in '13. And now Breakside's IPA keeps the title in-state for another year. :D

I'd seriously be surprised if anyone can take the IPA category from Oregon any time soon, as the IPA's are so refined and explosive that even California's best seem 2nd rate by comparison.

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The results of the First Annual Pumpkinfest in Apartment 5A are in.

Southern Tier's Pumking was definitely consensus best in show. A bunch of these beers are just pumpkin or just spice, but Pumking is a pretty damned good mix of the two. Plus it tastes "real", if you follow me. It's a good ale first that happens to have pumpkin in it, rather than throwing something together with a subpar brew just because every brewery needs a pumpkin ale.

Honorable mentions include the awesomely smokey Pumpkin Porter from Alaskan Brewing Company and Wilhelm Scream from Magic Hat which had more hop flavor than I expected. I love when I underestimate a brewery and they prove me wrong.

One pumpkin beer I'll be avoiding is Hooligan from North Peak. Some might appreciate it as an earthy IPA, but the hop profile was NOT for me and overwhelmed any pumpkin flavor.

spec2 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've really been enjoying Atwater brewery's Vanilla Java Porter.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Troegs took home a Gold medal in the Bock category for Troegenator Double Bock, and I am so happy for them. That is a hell of a delicious beer.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Short's won the experimental category for their Key Lime beer. I kind of really want to try that.

• Options
    It is not as good as it sounds.

In fact the line for Shorts was just crazy, and they were offering Strawberry Shorts Cake, Key Lime Pie, Whiskey Sour Barrel Aged, some kind of brett barrel aged, and a bourbon barrel carrot cake.

I had to try the carrot cake and key lime, because I've been brewing a carrot cake for years now. I was less than impressed with both. Definitely not worth the hype.

I'd say their Strawberry Shorts Cake was the "closest" to advertised.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Also I'm taking Brewt Squad signups for this week and then closing them for round one.

I have three so far, including me, so we'll just do a triangle trade if nobody else jumps on.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Troegs took home a Gold medal in the Bock category for Troegenator Double Bock, and I am so happy for them. That is a hell of a delicious beer.

I was pouring for them all day. My squad saddled up there and timed our breaks so that we never left it open, so we could just drink there all day. Wonderful.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I'm proud of the state of Minnesota. Took home quite a few medals.

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Picked up a Stone Enjoy By. Gonna drink it while getting killed in Destiny's Iron Banner.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
This discussion has been closed.