Options

Mid-90's Vertigo [chat]

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    my hard drive is 7GB larger after I restored the old backup. I have no idea why.

that can happen depending on how it was originally formatted
    kaleedity wrote: »
    dayum it's 1406 already

workin makes things go fast

hail Pope Gregory XII

best watch out for that tokhtamysh

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    One advantage of being sick is last night I got to lie in bed and watch Enter the Dragon for the first time.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

This article is awesome and has elevated my mood significantly.

That article sounds a lot like that annoying video game scrub article.

Nothing like setting up your argument so that if someone disagrees with you, they "prove" your point.

It's hard to disagree with a lot of it.

"Get better at stuff" is probably a good thing.

He's completely wrong about fight club though. That was not a "hidden irony that people missed" or whatever. That's just him defining every action the character takes as "his job" and then saying "SEE HE IS HIS JOB"

Because he established the premise that everything you do is your job.

You want to know what my job is right now?
    no, you probably don't

Does it involve your wiener?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Am I the only one who just refuses to go to after hours company parties? I'm sorry. I don't care what fancy location and shmancy food you have. Having to dress up to hang with co-workers who aren't work friends just sucks. Oh sure I'll do whatever team building stuff you want during work hours. Hey, better than sittin' in the cube. But hell if I'm gonna spend my Saturday evening in an uncomfortable suit smiling and laughing while the VP of accounting tells me of the wonders of his iPad.

Well, I work with pretty fun people so I can't really relate.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

That article sounds a lot like that annoying video game scrub article.

Nothing like setting up your argument so that if someone disagrees with you, they "prove" your point.

It's hard to disagree with a lot of it.

"Get better at stuff" is probably a good thing.

He's completely wrong about fight club though. That was not a "hidden irony that people missed" or whatever. That's just him defining every action the character takes as "his job" and then saying "SEE HE IS HIS JOB"

Because he established the premise that everything you do is your job.

You want to know what my job is right now?
    no, you probably don't

Does it involve your wiener?

:winky:

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Free fancy food and free booze are two solid reasons to go to work parties.

That said, the white wine at my Christmas party was pretty bad. But the venison was delicious. As was the port.

I hosted a Christmas Party this weekend. Everyone brought wine and booze. We ended the night with more wine than we started!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Have an odd computer issue, [chat]! Anyone able to lend a hand?

Working on my sister's computer: Lenovo IdeaPad laptop, running windows 7.

Wireless fails to connect at work and home. It displays "Limited Access".

As implied, the wireless wizard exists in the taskbar, and correctly identifies networks to try to connect to.
    The wireless adapter is displayed in the network and sharing center.
    I see the driver in the device manager.
    Glancing through services.msc, the service WLAN autoconfig is started.

I mention all of that because when I run ipconfig, I get nothing. It lists a disconnected bluetooth and an 'isatap.{HEXSTRING}', but no wireless. Which I've never seen before.

Toggled the wireless adapter off (and on) using
    1) the switch on the front of the laptop;
    2) the keyboard combination that brings up the lenovo's ui;
    3) the icon in network and sharing

I've disabled and enabled the driver in device manager.

I've run, at the suggestion of my google searches (and memory)
    *) netsh int ip reset reset.log
    *) netsh int ter st stop

followed by restarting the computer.

I've put in manual ip information, but didn't have any luck.

I'm at something of a loss. Any ideas?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    @Elldren and anyone who had shown some interest in Mechwarrior Online: they are changing up the game a lot tomorrow. In particular, they are going to hand out a big lump sum of monies to existing players and for new players you will earn many times more money for your first 25 matches (so you get your first "real" mech super fast without spending real money).

they are also getting rid of repair and rearm costs.

also trial mechs will now earn XP and also the full amount of money (so no penalty for using them other than not being able to customize them).

all in all they are doing a whole bunch of stuff to push the game away from being "pay to win" or pressuring users to spend real money. Especially up front.

edit: As per usual, ignore the G&T thread on this game. The few people who post there CONSTANTLY are total wankers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    One advantage of being sick is last night I got to lie in bed and watch Enter the Dragon for the first time.

I'm pretty sure being home sick is pretty much the only way I'll ever finish Seven Samurai.

Who the hell makes a movie that long! The worst!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The guy gunning for UK number 1 off the back of X-factor/idol/popstars is terrifying looking. He reminds me of a creepy doll, but I can't specifically remember where from.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    my hard drive is 7GB larger after I restored the old backup. I have no idea why.

i phrased that badly. i mean the data. something in there is taking up 7gb more space, and i'm not sure what it is.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The beetus is a different kind of thirsty. its "keep drinking water even though you know its about to make you sick" thirsty. if you have lost like 10-15 pounds out of nowhere in the last week, you should go back to the doctor. but they are right above, its aregular blood test (and theill spot it if you happen to have the beetus), and they would of said something if they were looking for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The guy gunning for UK number 1 off the back of X-factor/idol/popstars is terrifying looking. He reminds me of a creepy doll, but I can't specifically remember where from.

Aw, there isn't a campaign to dethrone him? :(

• Options

i phrased that badly. i mean the data. something in there is taking up 7gb more space, and i'm not sure what it is.

Page File? hiber.sys?

• Options
    Am I the only one who just refuses to go to after hours company parties? I'm sorry. I don't care what fancy location and shmancy food you have. Having to dress up to hang with co-workers who aren't work friends just sucks. Oh sure I'll do whatever team building stuff you want during work hours. Hey, better than sittin' in the cube. But hell if I'm gonna spend my Saturday evening in an uncomfortable suit smiling and laughing while the VP of accounting tells me of the wonders of his iPad.

while they are usually not fun, these kind of things are often very important to advancing ones career. You don't go to have fun, you go because it could benefit you in the long term (assuming you want to be at the company long term).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

That's a good article.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

As implied, the wireless wizard exists in the taskbar, and correctly identifies networks to try to connect to.

I mention all of that because when I run ipconfig, I get nothing. It lists a disconnected bluetooth and an 'isatap.{HEXSTRING}', but no wireless. Which I've never seen before.

*) netsh int ter st stop

I'm just making sure; this is failing on different wireless connections that have other computers working fine on them, right

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

some manufacturers have a partition where they store drivers and diagnostic software and etc.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Page File? hiber.sys?

ooh, good point. Yeah, that's probably it.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Don't like X Factor on principle.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Bah, screw you people and yer fun and enjoyable work environs. Humbug!

(Its really not bad here at all, just not folks I'd spend my time with after hourse)

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

That said, the white wine at my Christmas party was pretty bad. But the venison was delicious. As was the port.

I hosted a Christmas Party this weekend. Everyone brought wine and booze. We ended the night with more wine than we started!

That's a sign of quality party guests!

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    @Elldren and anyone who had shown some interest in Mechwarrior Online: they are changing up the game a lot tomorrow. In particular, they are going to hand out a big lump sum of monies to existing players and for new players you will earn many times more money for your first 25 matches (so you get your first "real" mech super fast without spending real money).

also trial mechs will now earn XP and also the full amount of money (so no penalty for using them other than not being able to customize them).

all in all they are doing a whole bunch of stuff to push the game away from being "pay to win" or pressuring users to spend real money. Especially up front.

Wow, that sounds nice, it was a little disappointing to play a ton of games and then be like sweet lemme get my own mech. Well, I can afford this commando :/

But SSRMs were awesome at the time so it was okay. Then the next day they rolled out the artemis patch and you couldn't do anything without getting killed by LRMs that could magically core you and I was like eff this.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

This is the visage of nightmares

Bf27ql.jpg

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Aldi's orange soda is surprisingly good.

Who loves Aldi's orange soda?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

*) netsh int ter st stop

I'm just making sure; this is failing on different wireless connections that have other computers working fine on them, right

yes, I'm posting from her work computer that is wireless (and our phones and tablet work here). At home her roommate has a laptop that works, as can the various devices.

• Options

This is the visage of nightmares

Bf27ql.jpg

KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT D:D:D:

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

while they are usually not fun, these kind of things are often very important to advancing ones career. You don't go to have fun, you go because it could benefit you in the long term (assuming you want to be at the company long term).

At my place of work it's a bunch of 40-50 year old women getting wasted and touching the 3-4 guys that work here.

I pass every year. They give me snide comments but sorry, I don't feel like getting sexually assaulted.

I will absolutely change careers if this stops me from getting bonuses or raises.

Plus my family and extended family has a lot of mean drunks, and apparently someone was very obnoxious and mean. Last thing I need is a fucking panic attack.

I'd rather go home, eat dinner, and relax with my girlfriend.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Page File? hiber.sys?

ooh, good point. Yeah, that's probably it.

Also could try downloading windirstat. It always lets me know when something is amiss.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    TehSloth wrote: »

Wow, that sounds nice, it was a little disappointing to play a ton of games and then be like sweet lemme get my own mech. Well, I can afford this commando :/

But SSRMs were awesome at the time so it was okay. Then the next day they rolled out the artemis patch and you couldn't do anything without getting killed by LRMs that could magically core you and I was like eff this.

The way things have been working is that while there is usually a Super OMG Overpowered Thing of the Week what that thing is changes pretty frequently.

If you listen to people like Ninja P in G&T then you'd get a really false picture of how things are.

Also I don't think I really agree with them that only premade 8 man teams are worth playing. When you factor in all the time and hassle in actually getting 8 people together on Vent I think just PUGing it up is usually more fun.

the game really is quite playable on a PUG basis. It helps that the hypercompetative assholes are now sequestered off in their 8 man groups (which only get matched against other 8 man groups).

edit: Oh yeah and ECM makes the game pretty interesting. It blocks missile locks (including streaks) inside its bubble but also makes you not show up on radar. So you can get a blob of mechs to "sneak" around the map under the cover of ECM and suddenly turn up in the enemies rear.

And if you've played before then the patch tomorrow will give you enough C-Bills to buy just about any mech in the game (its 7.9 million, a few mechs cost as much as 9 mil but you'd be close to being able to afford even those most expensive ones)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    TomeWyrm wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

That's a sign of quality party guests!

The highest quality indeed... except for the one girl that literally invited herself because she clicked ACCEPT seconds before I set the event to "PRIVATE". She was a B.

Actually had the nerve to complain that there wasn't enough booze.

Deebaser on
  • Options

*) netsh int ter st stop

yes, I'm posting from her work computer that is wireless (and our phones and tablet work here). At home her roommate has a laptop that works, as can the various devices.
    Every time I've seen that, it's had a fix along the lines of the things you've tried. Try uninstalling the device in the device manager and then right click/scan for hardware changes and go through with the install. I've seen that work before.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I imagine being really good at what I do makes networking kind of a secondary and unnecessary thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I imagine being really good at what I do makes networking kind of a secondary and unnecessary thing.

there isn't a big enough Disagree button in the world

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Good one.

• Options

there isn't a big enough Disagree button in the world

Yeah, bro. Wwwwhhhaaaaa?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Hrm, should I finish the book I was reading, work out, or say fuck it and nothing all day.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

And even then, that's still networking. I got the best paying job of my life because the guy who was the exchange admin at my old job wanted someone to come run / revamp his helpdesk when he ended up as the Director of IT operations at another company. He contacted me out of the blue on that.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    that guy reminds me of jonah hill sort of

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.