As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2012 Year-End Review

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That's the exception that proves the rule, Buster.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Oh my fucking god.

My partner's youngest daughter kept everyone up until past midnight last night. She and her mom had spent a day together and then she just didn't want it to end. After 9 (her weekend bedtime is 9:30) she would come out every couple minutes to complain to her mom about something, who would patiently explain that all the adults needed sleep and that she had to let us all sleep, otherwise we'd have a tough time in the morning.

The neighbors were too loud.

Then she got constipated.

Then she got sick from being constipated.

And my partner was a saint through the whole thing. Unfortunately I was the last one awake and was in no mood to put up with her shit at well past midnight. The door crept open and I snapped.

"What are you doing? Get your ass in bed, now!"

First off, I'm irate. Second, I'm the only adult in the house and I haven't got the tools to handle this kid in any kind of healthy manner. I think I'm just going to tell her to stay in her room until her mom gets home.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    that sucks, metal

how many kids does your partner have, anyhow?

• Options
    that sucks, metal

how many kids does your partner have, anyhow?

She has three daughters who live with us. She also has a 20 year old son who doesn't. Unfortunately, her ex husband and the father of her youngest was extremely abusive and pretty much wrecked the family. So, you know, this stuff is just way over my head what with my never having had any kids of my own

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Whoops.jpg

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, nothing really prepares you for taking care of kids. I'm sure you're doing a better job than you realize.

• Options
    Well, to be fair, nothing really prepares you for taking care of kids. I'm sure you're doing a better job than you realize.

I just hate not having the tools to deal with this, you know? I'm like, okay, what would my mom have done if I acted this way? Oh. Right. Bloody nose.
    Every time? Let's try to think back here. Well, no, there was that time she just slapped me and called me stupid.

So, you know, not much to go on.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

I just hate not having the tools to deal with this, you know? I'm like, okay, what would my mom have done if I acted this way? Oh. Right. Bloody nose.
    Every time? Let's try to think back here. Well, no, there was that time she just slapped me and called me stupid.

Have you considered basing all your parenting decisions on Mrs. Doubtfire?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    ]
    Fyndir wrote: »

So, dress several years older than I really am, invite kids to view me urinating standing up, attempt murder on my exes boyfriend and do some felony stalking, trespassing, and harassment?

Suddenly punching a little kid in the face seems like the lesser of two evils.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Children are scary.

Look at their cute little faces.

Plotting your destruction...

• Options
    ]

So, dress several years older than I really am, invite kids to view me urinating standing up, attempt murder on my exes boyfriend and do some felony stalking, trespassing, and harassment?

Also: Aerosmith

• Options
    Children really like me for some reason.

My friend's daughter is always excited to see me and gives me hugs and when she was little she used to take both my hands and walk up my legs and do a backflip...

Sometimes when doing that she would kick me in that nads though so I'm kinda glad she is too big for that now.

• Options
    dude looks like a lady has been one of my favorite songs since I was a little boy

but knowing what I know now about transpeople and gender issues and whatnot I feel kind of... weird? maybe guilty? about it

• Options
    dude looks like a lady has been one of my favorite songs since I was a little boy

but knowing what I know now about transpeople and gender issues and whatnot I feel kind of... weird? maybe guilty? about it

I can relate. One of my all time favorite books is Andrew loomis's Fun With A Pencil. It was made in the 1920s and near the end of it are some of the most racist caricatures I've ever seen.

• Options
    I used to be pretty big into aeorsmith.

I still like Dream On a lot.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ]

Well, when you put it like that...
    You are a cool person with a good head on your shoulders, your decisions about parenting do not have to follow the patterns you saw when growing up. Try not to worry too much, do what you think is right, and any bigger decisions your partner will help you with I have no doubt.

You'll do just fine.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I used to be pretty big into aeorsmith.

I still like Dream On a lot.

One of my favorite songs of theirs.

I like a lot of what they've put out, minus dude looks like a lady, walk this way, and the other side, as well as most of their get a grip album.

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular

you can't just treat them with respect like you would any other human being?

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I just had a dream in which I was teaching Michelle Rodriguez how to make pizza in a microwave for some reason.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SoaL wrote: »

So far I haven't done anything disrespectful to her. I told her to stay in her room until her mom gets home. I'll have a talk with her mom and she'll have a talk with her daughter about how extremely irate three adults are that they were kept up to well past midnight with her bullshit pleas for attention.

Now, like I said, the only thing I have to go on is what my parents would have done had I tried these little attention getting tactics. Punching a kid in the face is completely unacceptable as a disciplinary tactic and "well that's how I was treated as a kid" is even less so as a justification for it, which is part of the reason why I'm worried. The other, much larger part, is that this shit became normal to me, and part of me is completely terrified that I'm doing something absolutely terrible under the guise that its not really a big deal. It's fucking hard to look at a situation objectively, especially when you don't really have a good frame of reference.

• Options
    SoaL wrote: »

Yo, this is a really fucking ignorant and flippant thing to say.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So glad I'm never having kids. Being an only child ruined me for children. Never ever ever ever ever.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I read somewhere that you should treat kids as if you're a CEO and they're a prized employee

In terms of tone, I mean

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    I read somewhere that you should treat kids as if you're a CEO and they're a prized employee

In terms of tone, I mean

So hookers, 3 martini lunches, and expensive steak dinners? :P

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »

In terms of tone, I mean

Set them up to take the fall when your ponzi scheme is discovered, and fly off to Belize in the resultant chaos?

• Options
    I'm watching gator boys for some reason.

The one guy stands up out of the water with an alligator over his shoulder

OMG SO HOT

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    2012 in review thread, hmm

I just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild

Man that is probably the critically-acclaimed film of the year that I just did not like one little bit

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    2012 in a nutshell

Graduated uni with a good grade and a dissertation I was proud of. Finally made attempts to deal with brain things. Not got a job yet, didn't get on teacher training course.

So thats about half and half. With a bit of luck 2013 will see things finally take off! Positive state of mind and all that!

• Options
    Partner came home.

Kid got one hell of a lecture and told why we're all so pissed.

And she's cleaning the bathroom now.

Correction. I just leaned over and she's doing her hair in the bathroom while her mom isn't looking. Well she's 8.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Signs that I stayed up way too late playing far cry 3, besides that part where I just woke up. Having a nice dream that's starting to go into sexy mode, when whoa what the hell who left the window open

and all of these fucking komodo dragons and giant carnivorous birds start climbing through

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Signs that I stayed up way too late playing far cry 3, besides that part where I just woke up. Having a nice dream that's starting to go into sexy mode, when whoa what the hell who left the window open

and all of these fucking komodo dragons and giant carnivorous birds start climbing through

One of my friends was jealous because I had a dream that all the animals at the zoo mutated and the world went nuts and I had to beat a gorillagator to death with a table leg.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I didn't know what a cassowary was but now I fear them forever

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

I got married.

Got promoted and now the resultant stress means my job is slowly killing me (but in a good way!)

Two of my sisters had children, both are adorable. One has Down's and it's been hard on them but I am incredibly proud of my family and the way we reacted upon discovering this. He is never gonna feel unloved, I can guarantee that much.

And I started doing an exponentially larger amount of cooking which has helped reduce the stress from the increased responsibilities at work.

So, 2012 = good year. 2013 has a lot to live up to.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    vsove

is dragon age 3 ready yet

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    vsove

is dragon age 3 ready yet

No and if you keep asking, it'll -never- be ready.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    noooooooooo

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    All I try to do is go get groceries and rastaman downstairs gives me a hash joint and won't let me say no.

Just stuck it in an airtight container cause I'm job searching but man I can't even go outside without people giving me free stuff sometimes.

• Options
    I hope DA3 starts off with Leliana beheading Anders.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    All I try to do is go get groceries and rastaman downstairs gives me a hash joint and won't let me say no.

Just stuck it in an airtight container cause I'm job searching but man I can't even go outside without people giving me free stuff sometimes.

that

just sounds so difficult
    we're all here for you if you need to talk about it

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    im willing to take any free things off your hands if its too stressful

these hash joints, for instance