Options

[Dead Space 3] - EA shuts down Visceral Games... Add another EA victim to the list.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think about 12 or 13.

But some chapters are really long and others are pretty short.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think about 12 or 13.

But some chapters are really long and others are pretty short.

I wanted to say 13 too, but then I looked it up.

It's actually 15, but chapters 12, 14, and 15 are really short. So it only feels like 13

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How many chapters does DS2 have, and how long is the game, approximately?

After playing for 3-4 hours yesterday I'm on chapter 5.

First playtrough maybe 12 hours? I forget how many chapters, 5 is not that far in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    I always blow through the first disc in 3 hours and then the second disc takes me another 6-7. The chapters get longer and a lot tougher after chapter 5.

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    How present (and by that I mostly mean "dumb") is this "necromorphs with guns" thing in the game?

It's religious fanatics with guns, and we don't know until the game is out.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i'm betting every situation like that ends up being overrun by necromorphs so you can just watch and then clean up the survivors

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The only team there was a "Necromorph with a gun" situation in the demo was when one of those walking head things possessed one of the soldiers.

Otherwise, Necromorphs were doing their Necromorph thing.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Here is a picture of a Slasher that appreciates your efforts with two thumbs up while its trying to kill you.

48332bfdbb8cdd3ecb47a47ed8846758-d58qf7v.png
    my marker pendant just came in the mail

ALTMAN BE PRAISED

Marker pendant? Do you have any pictures of it?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    As for dead space 3 co op I am betrothed to another

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    Just finished the demo. I was really skeptical of the weapon crafting system since I feel that a big part of the series charm are the guns and I thought custom weapons wouldn't be as fun to play with, but being able to build a rivet gatling gun with a stasis bayonet totally cleared that up.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Look, I know everyone is talking about Dead Space 3, but can I talk about 2 here? Because I just started playing it.

First I was super psyched because, hey, my mouse control worked just fine without an hour of fiddling with the settings! Huzzah for not terrible ports!

Then I was super annoyed with how the DLC auto-populated my store with so many weapons I don't want to give in to using. It wouldn't be a problem except now the game is already flooding my inventory with ammo types I don't want or need, which is making already annoying inventory management worse.

Still I'm having fun.

Oh Chapter 3? Cool. After that train sequence I'll be happy to take a breath and stop at a store and withdraw some medpa-OHGODOHGOD!!
    NECROTODDLERS!!! AHHH!!! KILL THEM!!! GET THEM OFF OF ME!!! WHY GOD WHY!!!

Did you know there's a school level in DS2... BECAUSE THERE IS ENJOY MAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

NO

Get ready to say that word.

A lot.

Dead Space 2 is a game that loves making you say "Fuck this shit, fuck this place, fuck this whole situation."

Isn't that most of Issac's dialog?

I love it when games match the player character and the player like that. I wish FEAR had done that, thinking of it. Just "Command, they were killed by fucking ghosts. And so were the next team you're sending me to look for, before you ask. It's Spooky Ghosts Kill Everyone day."

Also worked well in RE4. The player is just having a good time suplexing the undead, and Leon isn't taking anything seriously.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Has anyone read Dead Space Martyr? I'm wondering if it's worth a read.

• Options
    Read some of the comics, apparently Carver is (was?) a devout, who guarded the Red Marker before they moved it to the Ishimura.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    the demo for this entirely unsold me on the game. crappy cover shooting isnt what i want from a dead space game. the guns felt neutered too. i'll probably still pick it up cheap somewhere down the line to do some co-op with my brother, but man. that demo was pretty dire.

Yeah, I will probably still get the game, but the cover stuff seemed really poorly implemented.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount the book, enjoyable for some extra back-story. Few really cool passages.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I wouldn't discount the book, enjoyable for some extra back-story. Few really cool passages.
    Thanks. It's hard to find good reviews of tie-in novels like this, but the guy who wrote it is the head of the English department at Brown University, so I figured it wouldn't be terrible at the least.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yup.
    Thanks. It's hard to find good reviews of tie-in novels like this, but the guy who wrote it is the head of the English department at Brown University, so I figured it wouldn't be terrible at the least.
    Martyr is pretty good, so don't worry.

sig.gif
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Here is a picture of a Slasher that appreciates your efforts with two thumbs up while its trying to kill you.

48332bfdbb8cdd3ecb47a47ed8846758-d58qf7v.png
    my marker pendant just came in the mail

ALTMAN BE PRAISED

Marker pendant? Do you have any pictures of it?

etc-pendant-ds-chromemarker-flat.jpg

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U356b_x0_4U

Nope no lullaby!
    Phil Collins cover!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    That is the dumbest/best thing ever!

Also dumbest thing ever? His little fur collar. Burrrr, this suit I'm in is so shivery! Wait, nope, I've got some mittens! All better now!

I hope you see the scene where he kills a space bear to make that.

• Options
    That is completely acceptable as a launch trailer.

I like the fur! It reminds you if all the snow and wintery weather weren't an indicator "Burr its chilly out there." I want the DS 3 statue with isaac's fur collar.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wow. They managed to make a trailer that both disappoints me and makes me somewhat happy. Would love to hear the full version of that remix.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

I like the fur! It reminds you if all the snow and wintery weather weren't an indicator "Burr its chilly out there." I want the DS 3 statue with isaac's fur collar.

That's what's so funny about it. A) You're in a bunch of goddamn snow. It already looks cold as a motherfuck. B) I'll bet the vacuum of space is a lot colder than Ice Station Zebra! Why didn't he have a fur collar then? And C) Why a fur collar?!? How is that helping? It's outside his suit! Unless it's poking out through the holes in his suit and he's all wrapped up in a bear skin inside his suit, which, if that's the case D) I want to play as Bear Suit Iissaacc.

Anyway, just a funny thing I noticed. I realize it's to make the suit look/seem different, but it doesn't mean it's not goofy.

Still want to see the space bear...maybe it's a necromorph space bear!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    It probably makes me a bad person but I really want a live action Dead Space movie now.

The Iron Man helmet stuff never gets old.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Wow. They managed to make a trailer that both disappoints me and makes me somewhat happy. Would love to hear the full version of that remix.

Yeah. It makes it look like an awesome sci-fi shooter, but a terrible horror survival game.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Magus` wrote: »
    How present (and by that I mostly mean "dumb") is this "necromorphs with guns" thing in the game?
    Well I do hope so, because I continue to hear stuff about necromorphs shooting at you :[

Although I had an epiphany about this "mixed humans/necro encounters" thing: Throw in a lot of of infectors into these, and you'll have to try to snipe the necros while dodging incoming enemies/fire, or you'll be thouroughly zerged when the humans are overrun and transformed into enhanced motherfuckers.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Yeah. It makes it look like an awesome sci-fi shooter, but a terrible horror survival game.
    Well this goes without saying, at this stage: I can't imagine how you'd expect anything else really.

Panda4You on
  • Options

That's what's so funny about it. A) You're in a bunch of goddamn snow. It already looks cold as a motherfuck. B) I'll bet the vacuum of space is a lot colder than Ice Station Zebra! Why didn't he have a fur collar then? And C) Why a fur collar?!? How is that helping? It's outside his suit! Unless it's poking out through the holes in his suit and he's all wrapped up in a bear skin inside his suit, which, if that's the case D) I want to play as Bear Suit Iissaacc.

Anyway, just a funny thing I noticed. I realize it's to make the suit look/seem different, but it doesn't mean it's not goofy.

Still want to see the space bear...maybe it's a necromorph space bear!

That actually makes sense.

In a vacuum, there's nothing for the heat to dissipate into, so heat loss is greatly reduced. There's a reason they make vacuum-insulation after all.

In fact, an astronaut in his space suit would survive much longer in a vacuum than in Antarctica.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    Well I do hope so, because I continue to hear stuff about necromorphs shooting at you :[

Although I had an epiphany about this "mixed humans/necro encounters" thing: Throw in a lot of of infectors into these, and you'll have to try to snipe the necros while dodging incoming enemies/fire, or you'll be thouroughly zerged when the humans are overrun and transformed into enhanced motherfuckers.
    Will this goes without saying, at this stage: I can't imagine how you'd expect anything else really.

DS1 was a horror survival game. DS2 was inbetween. I suppose DS3 should be a sci-fi shooter. But I'd prefer it to be more horror survival. Oh well.

Thats the way this series progressed.

• Options
    I'm still at a loss as to what key difference there was that makes DS2 not exacty like Dead Space to say it was inbetween. If anything it had more horror in it than Dead Space 1, and less asteroid shooter sections.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    DS1, to me, had the more frightening enviorment and atmosphere. Ammo was more scarce as well, at least in my memory.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    I'm still at a loss as to what key difference there was that makes DS2 not exacty like Dead Space to say it was inbetween. If anything it had more horror in it than Dead Space 1, and less asteroid shooter sections.

It was much more linear.

The automatically recharging stasis also significantly changed the nature of reacting to surprise threats.

• Options
    Having played through both recently ammo was not more scarce in DS1, if anything with DS2 more weapons ammo is harder to come by for your weapon of choice. Though DS2 does have a more effective TK which makes ammo not as dire, on top of Stasis coming back on its own and stasis packs stacking to 3, but making the game more fun to play doesn't reduce the horror in my opinion.

Atmospherically DS2 excels in that areas feel unique and tell their own twisted stories. DS1's ship setting played out well, and it felt like a real ship with bathrooms and storage areas etc, but the enviroments start to feel very samey after a time, not a lot of personality, especially with the flesh gunk adding to the sameyness.

Like I can think of places in DS2 I entered with a "oh no no no no no no" that I didn't have in DS1.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    With horror being subjective, you nor anyone else should be surprised some found one more scary than the other.

And what microtransactions are they talking about? Weapons and suits could be bought in DS1 and DS2. Am I missing something?

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

It was much more linear.

The automatically recharging stasis also significantly changed the nature of reacting to surprise threats.

Have you played through DS1 recently? Its hella linear as well, the only backtracking you do is after you've finished the level you go back to the tram and then on to the next unconnected part.

I understand horror is subjective, I'm just not seeing what made DS1 a lot scarier or more of a horror game than 2 other than some kind of nostalgia.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dead Space 1 was scarier to me because it was all a big mystery. New IP/Universe/Scary fucking space monsters to haunt my dreams. Dead Space 2 was awesome, and still scary, but it wasn't as mysterious.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Honestly the not as mysterious played into some of the scares in DS2, especially the one we all know about.

I just don't think people remember DS2 as much, because they say "Well in DS1 there were points where you'd think something would attack and nothing did, thats not there in DS2." But thats wrong there were plenty of times in DS2 where you'd think you'd be knee deep in necro and nothing, just tense atmosphere.

Again having played through both recently, DS2 has more of a connected human element, that was woefully missing in DS1. Getting to hear Isaac react to whats going on around him and interact with the survivors is a lot better than Kendra and Hammond telling you what to do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Again, going by memory, wasn't Issac slower in DS1? In DS1 it felt like an engineer having to deal with some strange shit, not a bad ass. He wasn't a badass, he was a normal dude having his head screwed with and having no clue what he was doing.

Naturally in DS2 Issac is a bad mother. And he feels more like one because he should feel more like one.

Really , the more I think about it, I'm being one of those gamer. The natural progression would be for DS3 to balls out action with some horror. Which it appears to be.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    With horror being subjective, you nor anyone else should be surprised some found one more scary than the other.

And what microtransactions are they talking about? Weapons and suits could be bought in DS1 and DS2. Am I missing something?

You can buy parts for weapons and such in game now with real money. Supposedly it's to the benefit of phone and portable gamers who are into that sort of thing, I think they missed the part where those games run about 2 bucks.

• Options
    He was slower, and his meele attacks harder to hit with. But I don't think that takes away from the horror of the game that your guy was harder to control. That's like saying the shitty tank controls of RE upped the terror level when it just made playing the game frustrating as fuck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I just got a vinyl cutter and thought of Dead Space

altmanlives.jpg

lunaticstar.deviantart.com/art/DeadSpace-Marker-Vector-253898199 made the Marker
    alteran-x.deviantart.com/art/Dead-Space-Title-Font-198686759 made the Dead Space font

I merely pieced it together and is trying to convert it to vector stuff, so the machine can cut the image.

Sirialis on
This discussion has been closed.