Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    For some reason shipping has been pushed on mine to the 31st. So we are waiting 4 weeks.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    For some reason shipping has been pushed on mine to the 31st. So we are waiting 4 weeks.

Is that through Namco for the Wizard's?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Amazon.

Germany.

Don't ask.

You don't want to know.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Did anyone else here order the Wizards edition from Shopto?

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Goddammit it turns out the game has been delayed until the 31st for europe and australia. Why? I don't know. All the shops in australia are saying 31st and german amazon are also saying they can't ship till the 31st.

That's over a week. What the hell.

• Options
    Yeah, Namco said production issues for us

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Cross-posting this:
    Wait

What

I don't get Ni No Kuni at all

The demo starts off you off fighting a boss

He has easily killed me twice now

They don't explain shit about the systems (are there any?) other than attacking and defending

Even if you defend for his big attacks, this dude just fucking completely mops the fucking floor with you

EDIT: And also, if your Pokemon is killed, you are too? That's some dumb bullshit right there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Look on the bright side, everyone outside US/Japan gets a free dlc familar on day 1. This is apparently the familar, 'Draggle'.

yl1qe7s.jpg

Also this game is great, I'm about 5 hours in and the combat takes awhile to pick up but the art and music are phenomenal. You can definitely tell some heart went into both. English voice acting is superb, I know a lot of people are stuck on subs over dubs but trust me everything you hear about the english voice acting being great is true.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Grabbed my copy earlier today. Gonna have to wait another 14 hours or so to start playing though.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Thank you for your pre-order of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on Amazon.com.

As a show of our appreciation for your choosing Amazon Video Games, we are offering a sneak peek of the Prima Games Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch game guide on "The Basics of Familiars." Click here to access the guide preview.

Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.

They uh, must not be expecting to ship those guides out anytime soon.

• Options
    Yeah, based on the demo, fuck this game

Circle strafing combat combined with tedious JRPG mechanics sounds like a recipe for user suicide

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular

Circle strafing combat combined with tedious JRPG mechanics sounds like a recipe for user suicide

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Meanwhile I am going to enjoy the ever loving fuck out of this game.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

I'm hearing they actually completely bombed the Demo, and the final product is nothing like that.

• Options
    That might be so, and that sort of thing has happened before

But $60 on the line is too big a risk on a "maybe"

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Try the volcano bit then. The biggest problem with the first section is that they throw you into a boss fight knowing absolutely nothing of how the combat system actually works.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I deleted the demo in anger!

Perhaps tomorrow I will try the volcano bit

I did eventually beat that boss in the first section

But I just didn't have any fun doing it, since it was a matter of CONSTANTLY circle-strafing to his left and hoping he'd keep attacking with his right, and then I could make a choice:

He's using Bellow, so I can:
    A) Defend myself, which would leave myself unable to defend if he uses Windfall (which he will), which leaves me fucked
    B) Take the hit on Bellow WHICH HITS YOU EVEN IF YOU ARE BEHIND HIM, which stuns you, and hope and pray he doesn't use Windfall (he probably will)

Too much of it seems left up to luck and chance, and hoping there are little HP balls floating around

They dropped a gold one but it was basically clipped through the boss, so I couldn't reach it

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So today I played the demo for the first time, and the sample boss battle that I was playing for the first time KILLED me. FUCK THIS GAME. This is a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I thought this was Penny Arcade, not Kindergarten Overreaction Hour.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Well I thought this was America.

Hey, what's the sound something makes when it goes over your head? Is it whoosh? This is unrelated.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I thought this was Penny Arcade, not Kindergarten Overreaction Hour.

217487025_rDFnb-L-2.jpg

Not at all mutually exclusive

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Helloween wrote: »

Yes @Helloween I did and I can't wait. Annoying that the uk release got pushed back a week.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    My girlfriend beat the first boss really rather handily. I was watching and did not say much of anything because I have been disallowed from saying things because I always make it worse because she does not think a million thoughts a second like I do. All I tend to do is break her concentration. I normally have to tell her what I think about the games mechanics in between fights. So I couldn't help her.

The most difficult game she has ever played is Gurumin. Her ideal difficulty is Locoroco. She has played exactly zero action games that were not Gurumin and very few games in general. She usually just watches me play anything difficult. But this is her game. She brought it to my attention, she got me interested, so she played the demo first.

Protip: Running away makes the bosses normal attacks miss due to out of range. It's her protip not mine. I learnt it from her. I only got to play part of the second section of the demo.

I did actually go back and play the demo's green boss myself. Running away from the boss and casting the boys fireballs at it will obliterate it in short order. Just hit defend on the big attacks.
    Also the boy gets a super attack too. Think "fireball" but replace "fire" with "sun".

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The most effective boss strat in the demo seemed to be to play oliver and lob spells at the boss, getting your pokemon out if you managed to stagger him to proc the miracle attack thing. Not sure on th exact mechanics there.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Nah just trigger Oliver's miracle move and blow it away.
    Sorry.
    I mean burn it to ash.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I just did that boss myself. I swear I don't remember the stun from the demo, but it was here. Thing is, even though he did his super move right after, the stun always wore off before it hit, so it was a simple matter of just quickly hitting defend. Dropped him handily.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Adda wrote: »
    Helloween wrote: »

Yes @Helloween I did and I can't wait. Annoying that the uk release got pushed back a week.

Sweet! I hope we get it a few days earlier like normal :D

On topic, my PS3 hates me far too much to actual download the demo, but from what i've seen it harkens back to my youth and beautiful RPG worlds. I simply can't wait!

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Try the volcano bit then. The biggest problem with the first section is that they throw you into a boss fight knowing absolutely nothing of how the combat system actually works.

Which is fucking insane, since the first dungeon in the real game has all the necessary tutorial bits to make it less of an issue. Why they released a demo that stripped all the "Here's how to play" stuff from the first dungeon is a mystery.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I think a lot of people are maybe having trouble with the boss because you think you need to be right up close when you're not attacking? Just move away to dodge its attacks.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The demo is really fucking bad, yeah, no questioning that.

They fucked up.

But fuck ups happen, and this one is probably the least relevant and significative fuckup in the universe right now.

And, honestly, RPGs in general, and JRPGs in particular, are the worst kind of game to demo. I never ever formed my opinion about one of those games out of a demo. Because that would be stupid, even if the demo is the shining jewel in the demo crown.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, RPG demos, and JRPG demos in particular, tend not to be all that great. Although, it sure feels like they're always constructed out of pieces of the real game instead of just giving us a full say, dungeon or something from an early part of the full game, which would better demonstrate the final product.

• Options
    I'm not really going to defend the demo. It didn't bother me much, but yeah it was way too contrary for its own good. That said, it told me 2 very important things about itself:

-This is how the general combat is. Not fantastic, but decent enough.
    -This is how fucking fabulous the game looks.

So long as the gameplay doesn't completely shit the bed, I will fully enjoy this game. In fact, it looks like it's not afraid to mix things up. If you leave the title screen on for a bit, the attract mode will play, and there was this brief 2D platformer area that looked cool. And there's also a quick look on Giant Bomb that reveals an interesting puzzle area that just shows up out of the blue.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Agreed, the demo is absolutely awful. There is literally zero explanation of what you can do. However, when you get the tutorial in the full game, that boss is cake. You just stay away from him, defend when he does Windfall and throw Fireballs.

And you don't die when your pokerman loses his HP, your pokerman is part of YOUR HP, which I actually like quite a lot.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Apparently alot of the gold familiars will appear in the post game in various places. Not sure if all of them (like the DLC ones) do or not, but something to consider.

The DLC ones don't.

So first impressions: I love the game WAY more then I thought I would. My only bitches:

One hour to get to actual combat, 5 hours in and still haven't unlocked the creature catching system. This is a Level 5 game all right.

I'm playing with Japanese voices because Level 5's dubbing is always awful (USE ALL THE ACCENTS EVERWHERE DERP) and the translation is really off. It certainly doesn't matter, but it is annoying.

Why change Imajins to Familiars? Imajins sounds so much cooler.

Don't make me backtrack all the way through a dungeon to get a previously locked chest just for a dang equivalent of a health potion.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    the guide DLC familiar is listed in the guide itself though, which makes me wonder if it's not available in-game somewhere.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    And you don't die when your pokerman loses his HP, your pokerman is part of YOUR HP, which I actually like quite a lot.

What? Your familiars dont have HP, they just have a stamina gauge. Oliver's HP is what takes damage when they get hit.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    No stores in my area had any copies of this for sale when I went looking last night. So... some faith in humanity restored.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote: »

What? Your familiars dont have HP, they just have a stamina gauge. Oliver's HP is what takes damage when they get hit.

Familiars have HP, they have YOUR HP. Everybody dies together and you can keep using everybody until the end. I like that.

• Options
    the guide DLC familiar is listed in the guide itself though, which makes me wonder if it's not available in-game somewhere.

Everywhere I've read so far says no; they're just included for completeness sake.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm playing with Japanese voices because Level 5's dubbing is always awful (USE ALL THE ACCENTS EVERWHERE DERP) and the translation is really off. It certainly doesn't matter, but it is annoying.

I can tolerate the accents in this game, since they don't seem to be all that prevalent(yet) aside from Drippy.

Also because I played Dragon Quest 4 for the DS and I've thus been desensitized to all but the most egregious translation bullshittery.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    At first, I was thinking of playing in English because my kids like this stuff too...but since it's not fully voiced, I'm going to swap to Japanese. Not that the English VA is bad, necessarily, but the myriad accents are kinda silly.

Does anyone know how far into the game you have to be before you can access your DLC familiars?

Vincent Grayson on