As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turn the lights on and off 3 times, then come post in the [Brain Problems] thread

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Welp my mother told me I deserve to die alone, thanks mum.

• Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    i have a new system for your consideration

unexisting

the gradual phasing of your existence out of this plane of reality

it's all the rage

take my word for it

i'm already 95% there

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Matey wrote: »
    i have a new system for your consideration

unexisting

the gradual phasing of your existence out of this plane of reality

it's all the rage

take my word for it

i'm already 95% there

don't tease me bro

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

pfft what the hell does she know nobody deserves that

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So I was home schooled from 2nd grade until I got my GED and went to college at like 16 or 17.

My parents got into a fight with the school system about meeting my brother's need to be challenged and wanting him to jump grades I think, and the really good 3rd grade teacher was leaving and the teachers were generally shit around here.

The only formal education during my home schooling was a set of correspondence courses with some school in one of the Dakotas, that I basically failed because I didn't give a fuck. Otherwise all of my education comes from growing up in a house with two college educated parents who put a lot an emphasis on learning about the world around you. So basically the internet taught me everything I know. (Unfortunately I didn't really get into the forums until I was starting community college.)

I aced CC classes, so that means I at least came out of it with an average intelligence/education level. But I also aced all my college courses (excluding maths because maths is hard) until I gots the depression and dropped out because of that.

So I'd like to think I'm an example of that style of upbringing turning out right.

Given the broken state of american schools, especially in some areas, some homeschooling systems might seem like a viable alternative. But a much better idea would be a functioning public school system. As far as spiritual beliefs go, by letting your kid go to school, and teaching them your beliefs at home you allow them to make the choice of what they want to believe in. Excluding school parents would still have control over what kinds of outside cultural educations and influence their kids were getting. (Assuming they were actually involved in parenting.) So, yeah I think it would be a good change to no longer allow homeschooling or more strictly regulate it in the united states, along with other constructive education reforms.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »

pfft what the hell does she know nobody deserves that

agreed.

no one really "deserves" anything other than a comfortable and happy life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I guess I'm going to try to go to this therapy group this week.

I'm not exactly looking forward to it.

Also I'm feeling a little better since stopping the stratera on my doctor's advice. Since I seem to be able to actually do stuff and not just THINK about doing stuff and get depressed because I'm not doing anything.

Granted I'm still not really changing anything in my life that makes me unhappy. It's all still way too hard.

• Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    In other parts of the world people work themselves to death to allow for their children to go to school.
    But nope, let's just cut funding and encourage homeschooling.

B_R on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Man, for the most part there's nothing wrong with home schooling

In many situations when the public and private school systems are crap it can be a really smart solution

The success, as evidenced by Kadith good experience above, is the level of Give A Shit the parents have

• Options
    okay i do recall that I know two people who smoked a ton of pot and had a kid immediately after graduating from high school.

they then went on to become conspiracy theorist and homeopathic medicine proponents.

and also mentioned how excited they were to "unschool" their kid on their facebook feed before I unfrinded them.

sad stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    criminalize private schools, seize their assets and use them to supplement the rebuilding, maintenance, and expansion of the public school system

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    that naturally comes after you dismantle the military-industrial complex and prison-industrial complex and legalize pot and tax the crap out of it then dump the resulting billions upon billions of dollars into social programs

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    criminalize private schools, seize their assets and use them to supplement the rebuilding, maintenance, and expansion of the public school system

yes
    that naturally comes after you dismantle the military-industrial complex and prison-industrial complex and legalize pot and tax the crap out of it then dump the resulting billions upon billions of dollars into social programs

yes

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Dichotomy for president.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

As someone who had the good fortune to go to a private school (which are hella common here in Australia)

Yes, please, do this now

• Options
    no I want to be dictator-for-life, someone else can be president

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    private schools will never be outlawed because that's where the policy makers send their kids and how dare you suggest their precious angels consort with riffraff

legalizing pot and taxing might happen eventually

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    how high a tax we talkin' here

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    speak with a variety of pot smokers to determine exactly how much more they will be willing to pay to avoid having to regularly be in contact with creepy dealers

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i haven't had to deal with creepy dealers in a minute but

i'd be willing to buy my weed through legal, taxable channels if i knew that money was going into a system i want to support

• Options
    how high a tax we talkin' here
    You might say.

It's the highest tax ever.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    heard there was some riffraff in here

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

Private schools are fine, provided those parents are still required to fund the public education as well. No school voucher bullshit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder how companies would brand weed if it were made legal and sold in packages...

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Someone here once blamed their brother being messed up mentally on them going to public schools

and I was like argh

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder how companies would brand weed if it were made legal and sold in packages...

plain packaging, covered in health warnings as required by law

broken image link
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Kraft brand weed

comes wrapped in delicious(?) cheese singles

• Options
    Druhim wrote: »

Private schools are fine, provided those parents are still required to fund the public education as well. No school voucher bullshit.

sounds like somebody isn't interested in smashing the means of bourgeoisie oppression

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

I suppose.

But if they wanna sell it there will be some aspect of marketing eventually.

Like cigarettes even have colors on the box.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Someone here once blamed their brother being messed up mentally on them going to public schools

and I was like argh

I don't see that as all that outlandish a claim. Some public school systems are pretty shit. But the problem isn't that they're public schools, it's that we have a rather fucked up system where funding is largely affected by district and so you tend to get districts with poorer residents that collect much less in taxes/levies and then wealthy districts where many in the community either fund their local schools generously, or mostly send their kids to private schools and vote down school levies. The picture is more complicated than this of course, but my point is that the public education system is pretty fucked up in many ways. Where I differ is not in where the problem lies, but that the solution is to fix the public school system for the benefit of everyone instead of just abandoning it as worthless and further stratifying education based on class/wealth.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Some people get super attached to their cigarette brands too.

• Options

I suppose.

But if they wanna sell it there will be some aspect of marketing eventually.

Like cigarettes even have colors on the box.

In these parts, all cigarette packaging looks like this: (spoilered for gross)
    tTPcag5.jpg

broken image link
  • Options
    where is "here"? because holy shit.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    yeah that seems a little

extreme

• Options
    Then again I mean I live in an area where every corner store sells "bath salts" and K2.

• Options
    edited March 2013

sounds like somebody isn't interested in smashing the means of bourgeoisie oppression

Hey, if they're required to contribute to a well functioning public education system then I have no problem with them paying even more to send their kids to a private school. The key is to do away with all the bullshit that lets so many either redirect those funds through school vouchers so they effectively get a tax break for sending their spawn to a pricey private school or just vote down any school levies so they don't have to pay as much to educate the rabble. You should not be able to opt out of funding public education at all. You want to send your kid to private school, you pay for both and stop crying about it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    where is "here"? because holy shit.

Australia

broken image link
  • Options
    cigarette packaging works along those lines in ontario

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Once saw a guy drop 400 dollars on fake weed in the corner store while I was picking up a soda.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yeah.

There isn't anything wrong with private schools, and its good for minorities as a place to learn about their culture.

This discussion has been closed.