As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you want to be when you grow up? [Job Thread]

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Nothing wrote: »
    I'd also be out of a job.

Why were they fighting anyway?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I've got an in-person job interview tomorrow with the hiring manager and the team I'd be working with.

Unfortunately, I came down with a pretty righteous cold on Sunday and it hasn't let up yet. I feel fine physically; it's just all in my head with the runny nose and sneezing.

What's the protocol for taking a meeting/interview while fighting a cold/sick?

Do I:

1. Reschedule; or

2. Take as many meds as I have to in order to stave off the symptoms for an hour?

I'm worried about rescheduling because I really fucking want this job and I don't want another candidate slipping in and stealing my thunder. On the other hand, showing up sick is generally a bad call.

Why did my kid have to get me sick this week of all weeks? FUCK.

Someone interviewed at my company yesterday wearing a surgeon mask

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Need a job.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh no! Did you get sequestered?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    New job goal:

Find someone to rub my shoulders.

So much pain.

That delivery guy would do it...

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    New job goal:

So much pain.

That delivery guy would do it...

No.

• Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I'd also be out of a job.

Why were they fighting anyway?
    The demand for shopping carts in my department greatly outweighs the supply. Customers have to guard their carts fiercely, or it'll get taken by someone else.

Guy 1 brings a cart out to the checking area with several items in it, and leaves it while he goes after something he forgot. Guy 2 enters the store, checks the room for available baskets. He sees the unattended basket, and asks if he can have it. Even though I can't really stop him from taking it, I tell him it's in use. He looks around, and asks "by who?" I tell him the person using it had to go back in for something. He replies with "their loss," and starts taking the items out, dropping them on the floor like some kind of jackass. Guy 1 comes back, sees what Guy 2 is doing, and confronts him. Confrontation turns into yelling, yelling escalates into Guy 2 throwing a punch, which sparks a fight that spills into displays. Managers are called, the fight is broken up, and both parties are asked to leave. As they're leaving though, Guy 2 can't keep his mouth shut, and the fight resumes in the parking lot. Management calls the cops, both guys are gone before they arrive.

Never a dull moment.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Woo got a speeding ticket

If there is no one on the road then obviously prevailing speed is whatever speed I am going at stop writing me a ticket for doing almost 20 over

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Woo got a speeding ticket

If there is no one on the road then obviously prevailing speed is whatever speed I am going at stop writing me a ticket for doing almost 20 over

Nah.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    But Kadith I don't want my actions to have consequences

I think the real reason I got pulled over is that I am white and the trooper was black, virginia is known for high rates of black on white discrimination

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Guy 2 sounds insane, who does that

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    We're not going to start slap fighting over speed limits again, are we?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    some kind of jackass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    some kind of jackass.

I'm picturing that whole exchange set to Yakety Sax

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    New job goal:

So much pain.

My previous job at the hospital used to have massage people that visited every week or two. Free if you wanted them.

Unfortunately I hate massages.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    woke up, no voice. well can't do phone sales without a voice.

send text to manager at 6am as per his instructions to let him know that i'm not coming into the office. go back to sleep. 9am, wake up, no response back from manager. strange. send email to coworker who's email I have remembered. nope, manager did not get the text. I had written his number down with a 2 in it and not a 7. fuck. text manager again with the correct phone number.

this is going to be a long day.

oh well, more drugs for me!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaaa aaa first day of teaching today aaaaaa

broken image link
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

you're gonna do great

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Remember to bring mace.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    remember to punch the first child you see so they know you are a dominant pack leader type

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    It was truly disconcerting my first few months "coaching"

Fresh out of school telling college kids what to do.

In the back of my mind I'd be telling myself "what the fuck do you know about this shit?" and the whole time try to sound authoritative enough that they listen to me

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Rule #1 when dealing with children:

Treat them like small adults; you get mad respect when you don't talk down to them.

Rule #2 when dealing with children:

If they are teenagers, do not shit on their shitty opinions; just say, "well, that's one way of looking at it" and walk the fuck away.

Rule #3 when dealing with children:

Do not touch the children; they are chock-full of germs, seriously, you don't know where they've been.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    New job goal:

So much pain.

My previous job at the hospital used to have massage people that visited every week or two. Free if you wanted them.

That's okay. I'm sure you can give them just fine.

I believe in you.

• Options
    Best deal at the poker tables - massages $1/minute

I never do it because they look like weak back rubs

• Options

That's because you are made of mesquite and tanned leather; pony-up a fiver and tell the masseuse to put some effort in, see what happens.

• Options

That's because you are made of mesquite and tanned leather; pony-up a fiver and tell the masseuse to put some effort in, see what happens.

I also don't want to be distracted while I'm playing. But seriously I need to find someone to get me. I can only do so much with a foam roller.

• Options

I also don't want to be distracted while I'm playing. But seriously I need to find someone to get me. I can only do so much with a foam roller.

Try tossing a wet towel in the microwave and draping it about your shoulders and neck; it works wonders for my tension headaches.

• Options
    Right now I have mysterious tooth pain and that's causing my headaches

Dentist said my teeth look real healthy but she gave me some antibiotics in case there was an infection.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    New job goal:

So much pain.

what

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I hate massages too, unless it's like a qualified massage therapist or masseuse or whatever

every time someone has come up behind me and rubbed my shoulders it makes me want to die

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    INTERVIEW GET!

Tomorrow at noonish!

I am super excited because I thought I lost out on this potential job, didn't hear from them in weeks.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Veretas wrote: »
    INTERVIEW GET!

Tomorrow at noonish!

I am super excited because I thought I lost out on this potential job, didn't hear from them in weeks.

fuck yeah, rock it

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    worst part of going home sick form work yesterday?

I missed the massage lady. :(

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I hate it when they take ages to call you for an interview

that waiting sucks so hard

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Find a place that does deep tissue work. Holy crap that hurts. But man does it open up the adhesions and knots. Or find a physical therapist who can give you the therapeutic ultrasounds.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I hate it when they take ages to call you for an interview

that waiting sucks so hard

Yeah, and it seems pretty darn common in my line of work. Especially if you're applying to the big names like Blizzard and such.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    New job goal:

So much pain.

what

I don't enjoy them! They just don't feel good to me or relieve pain for me.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    The reason Apho is so tall is because his back muscles have congealed into a solid mass. It's also how he stays so fit. Massages just ruin that.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options

Find a place that does deep tissue work. Holy crap that hurts. But man does it open up the adhesions and knots. Or find a physical therapist who can give you the therapeutic ultrasounds.

I always trust you in these kind of matters.

And it's typically because it involves pain

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Moriveth wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I interviewed for a design job years ago with a fever

it was bad. don't do it.

"I would love to answer your questions about design, but I first have one of my own - why are you a radish with the face of my father?"

I called in sick to a crappy fast food jab several years ago. I told them that while I wasn't deathly ill, it was a sinus thing and I didn't thinkthat it was a good idea for me to come in.

I found out a few days later that my exact words were "Hi [manager], my face is leaking."

laughingfuzzball on
This discussion has been closed.