Options

What do you want to be when you grow up? [Job Thread]

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Fuck no I don't blame him for that. I don't even hate Justin Bieber. They're making bank ethically, I say let 'em.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I just want him to show me all of his tattoos.

Up close.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    WOOP WOOP

I just got a letter from work in the mail with a 4% annual raise and a 5% bonus check

This is the first bonus I've ever received

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I have a devious coworker, I actually kind of respect how i just got fucked over.

The coworker passed an entire project off on me. She waited until the boss was on vacation, then emailed the boss telling her that I was now working on it, the boss emailed back from vacation with a "Great, good job stepping up" before i could even get a word in because this email exchange was only later forwarded to me over the weekend. This morning, I check the work that has already been done and it is wayyyyy behind. Next thing i know is its my fault for not having this project on schedule, and I enter this awkward moment today when I am suddenly being grilled by my boss in front of the entire (small) office on why I have not been doing my work.

I got all the criticism, on a project I know next to nothing about. In a way im pissed, in another way I feel like this is an excellent learning opportunity on office politics.

I mean, this whole thing will get sorted out once i get to talk to my boss about it in private, but its impressive.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Today I built a stage for Maroon 5.

I wasn't aware they were still A) around, B) making music, and C) relevant.

I once helped the bassist tune his guitar and spent most of the night before the show outback of our theatre smoking cigarettes with him. Also took a run into the city to find the whole band their vegan chinese food for dinner. I have all of their autographs somewhere. including their road manager and roadie. Back when that was all that they had. They were the opening act for Vanessa Carlton when I saw them, though. So this was a while ago.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I have a devious coworker, I actually kind of respect how i just got fucked over.

The coworker passed an entire project off on me. She waited until the boss was on vacation, then emailed the boss telling her that I was now working on it, the boss emailed back from vacation with a "Great, good job stepping up" before i could even get a word in because this email exchange was only later forwarded to me over the weekend. This morning, I check the work that has already been done and it is wayyyyy behind. Next thing i know is its my fault for not having this project on schedule, and I enter this awkward moment today when I am suddenly being grilled by my boss in front of the entire (small) office on why I have not been doing my work.

I got all the criticism, on a project I know next to nothing about. In a way im pissed, in another way I feel like this is an excellent learning opportunity on office politics.

I mean, this whole thing will get sorted out once i get to talk to my boss about it in private, but its impressive.

Fuck that Bacardi. Email your boss now saying you are unimpressed about the state of this job as it was handed to you. Say you will do the work and catch up on the lag (which is not caused by you) but you would like a private word with him later when he comes back.

Otherwise if you do it at the end it looks like you are pointing fingers at why things have gone wrong.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »

Fuck that Bacardi. Email your boss now saying you are unimpressed about the state of this job as it was handed to you. Say you will do the work and catch up on the lag (which is not caused by you) but you would like a private word with him later when he comes back.

Otherwise if you do it at the end it looks like you are pointing fingers at why things have gone wrong.

agreed.
    get in front of it immediately, otherwise it will look like you fucked up.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Will do,

That should actually be pretty easy given what I have documented with my work from the past week. But i needed to get out of the office and away from work for a while least i blow a gasket at the end of the day.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I've got a bit of a cold. Nothing dire, certianly nothing that really hinders my abilities, other than I occasionally have to put a customer on hold in order to sneeze. But I was making do. I mean, I still feel like death warmed over and I'd much rather be sleeping than at work cuddling a mug of hot tea and wrapped in a shawl while still sitting under the air conditioner. But hey, it's work. I've only been in the job for 29 days now, I shouldn't push my luck.

Of course i go on my first break and start to make myself another mug of tea and my 2 supervisors are in the kitchen. my direct team leader asks me how I'm feeling and I tell him that I'm feeling a bit better, but I'm still sick. At which point the head of Sales basically tells me to go home. That if I'm sick he does not want me in the office, stop making the tea and get your stuff and go home.

So I did.

And I know that employment law is all kinds of different down here and everything but I am doing my best to not panic right now. I'm still in the 90 day probationary period that happens at the start of employment. I'm still not really completely full time yet. They can still fire me. But on the other hand, i was told to go home by the boss who would do the firing. I'm trying to relax and just take it easy, but cripes I'm a bit nervous about this.

but I went home and slept for 4 hours. So that just shows me that I really am kind of sick.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2013
    if you make other people in the office sick, that's much worse for them than having one person off. Your sales manager did the right thing and they won't fire you for being sick, even during your probationary period.

tynic on
  • Options
    In my mind I know this. But the old habits of being in a US call center where you either show up dead or you get suspended/fired are tough to break.

also everybody else in the office is already sick. they're the ones that got me sick. those jerks.

ahwell, i should take advantage of this and do some cooking for the rest of the week. except, i have absolutely no energy.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    When you're off sick, take the time to actually get better, don't think it's a reason to wear yourself out around the house

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Started a new job today. Found out that they weren't entirely forthcoming about a few things.

Turns out that due to the hours I'll be working to each night, I get an extra $0.67 per hour more than my contract says. And the company pays for a cab ride home each night. And I'm going to be offered full time immediately after training, rather than needing to wait six months at 30 hours per week. Also, there's a pension plan that they hadn't told me about.

I think that I can deal with this lack of full disclosure.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So due to paperwork hold-ups we're going to have take a client out to the pub for lunch tomorrow.

The last visitors we had from these guys didn't even drink coffee nevermind being the type to enjoy a nice pint with a working lunch.

This is why it's best to work with the French.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Today I built a stage for Maroon 5.

I wasn't aware they were still A) around, B) making music, and C) relevant.

Did you add the special kill switch I asked for that would make the stage suddenly collapse?

I did. Sadly I slept through the concert and forgot to deploy it. Maybe next time.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    I've got an in-person job interview tomorrow with the hiring manager and the team I'd be working with.

Unfortunately, I came down with a pretty righteous cold on Sunday and it hasn't let up yet. I feel fine physically; it's just all in my head with the runny nose and sneezing.

What's the protocol for taking a meeting/interview while fighting a cold/sick?

Do I:

1. Reschedule; or

2. Take as many meds as I have to in order to stave off the symptoms for an hour?

I'm worried about rescheduling because I really fucking want this job and I don't want another candidate slipping in and stealing my thunder. On the other hand, showing up sick is generally a bad call.

Why did my kid have to get me sick this week of all weeks? FUCK.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I interviewed for a design job years ago with a fever

it was bad. don't do it.

Call them, Say you'd be happy to have a quick chat with the interviewer over the phone, but for a face to face you'll have to reschedule.

• Options
    You can always present the option to them if they really need you to come in for that particular day and are willing to risk the germs.

I think most people would rather reschedule or talk over the phone.

• Options
    I have three things I need to get done today and they take up very little time.

But I cannot bring myself to do anything.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I have three things I need to get done today and they take up very little time.

But I cannot bring myself to do anything.

This is me the last few weeks.

• Options
    I do get to leave at 4:00 instead of 4:30 today. I just need to hold on a little bit longer.

But I'm so tired...

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    You can always present the option to them if they really need you to come in for that particular day and are willing to risk the germs.

I think most people would rather reschedule or talk over the phone.

Yeah this is key. You have to make them make the choice.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    they are doing construction everywhere and today they are lightly tapping on an adjacent wall. full on hammering I can take, but gentle tapping? what the hell are they even doing?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I interviewed for a design job years ago with a fever

it was bad. don't do it.

"I would love to answer your questions about design, but I first have one of my own - why are you a radish with the face of my father?"

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    they are doing construction everywhere and today they are lightly tapping on an adjacent wall. full on hammering I can take, but gentle tapping? what the hell are they even doing?

Use this Morse Code Translator and find out what they're saying.

Then post it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Very elusive stud?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think there are two of them tapping away at the same time. it's a fucking tap off

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I think there are two of them tapping away at the same time. it's a fucking tap off

They're communicating.

Clearly it is a communist plot and it is your civic duty to report them for seditious behavior.

• Options

Very elusive stud?

nah, I'm right here

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Tap on, tap off. Tap on, tap off. Very good, Daniel-san. Tomorrow, we wax cars.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Start tapping back, see if they respond.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    Has anybody else ever watched two grown ass men get into a fist fight over a shopping cart?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Nothing wrote: »
    Has anybody else ever watched two grown ass men get into a fist fight over a shopping cart?

No but you could be a YouTube sensation if you caught it on video!

• Options
    Forgot to acknowledge a ticket for a minor issue (user missing in the ticket system) that I sent to my boss. The original ticket was an AD password reset, so the SLA on it was 1 hour. He got a page about one of his ickets being breached while in a meeting.
    whoopsie!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Working in a building with huge windows in the waiting room, next door (attached) to a nail salon is giving me serious crane neck. On the plus side, my lasik is working fantastically. Also got a raise last week. And my raise is going to go up even further in another 30 days. And I will be getting another raise in 4-5 more months based on how well my subordinates (now my subordinates, 2 weeks ago my equals) learn the shit only I've been able to do for the past 3 years. Ideally I don't get shafted because someone else is a slow learner and/or inept. Also I am bad at giving commands and would usually prefer to just do it my own damn self to make sure it gets done right and in a timely manner.

Oh well, white people problems.

• Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    I'd also be out of a job.

• Options
    Nothing wrote: »
    I'd also be out of a job.

that is the price for internet fame and riches

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options