Options

Best obscure & ancient PC games?

1234568»

Posts

  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    beat wrote: »
    im trying to remember one game i used to really enjoy as a kid, all i remember is it was a shitty (by todays standards) FMV type adventure game, with dinosaurs i think, and i remember at the end you fight some boss that shoots fire balls at you and you drop down and go around the platform and grab this cube... thats all i really remember from that game

    Oh shit. I know what game you're talking about but I too forget the name.

    The main character was named Adam and it was some period of time that was lost where dinosaurs and man roamed the world at the same time. It was all point and click, and you had to go around with your friends and friendly dinos and get the parts of a cube. You had to avoid the "Tyran" which were T-Rex which agro'ed on sight. The end guy was some fire-spitting dragon, but because you had the last part of the cube, you shattered his illusion and won.

    VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    beat wrote: »
    im trying to remember one game i used to really enjoy as a kid, all i remember is it was a shitty (by todays standards) FMV type adventure game, with dinosaurs i think, and i remember at the end you fight some boss that shoots fire balls at you and you drop down and go around the platform and grab this cube... thats all i really remember from that game

    Oh shit. I know what game you're talking about but I too forget the name.

    The main character was named Adam and it was some period of time that was lost where dinosaurs and man roamed the world at the same time. It was all point and click, and you had to go around with your friends and friendly dinos and get the parts of a cube. You had to avoid the "Tyran" which were T-Rex which agro'ed on sight. The end guy was some fire-spitting dragon, but because you had the last part of the cube, you shattered his illusion and won.

    Lost Eden, I believe.

    jothki on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    beat wrote: »
    im trying to remember one game i used to really enjoy as a kid, all i remember is it was a shitty (by todays standards) FMV type adventure game, with dinosaurs i think, and i remember at the end you fight some boss that shoots fire balls at you and you drop down and go around the platform and grab this cube... thats all i really remember from that game

    Oh shit. I know what game you're talking about but I too forget the name.

    The main character was named Adam and it was some period of time that was lost where dinosaurs and man roamed the world at the same time. It was all point and click, and you had to go around with your friends and friendly dinos and get the parts of a cube. You had to avoid the "Tyran" which were T-Rex which agro'ed on sight. The end guy was some fire-spitting dragon, but because you had the last part of the cube, you shattered his illusion and won.

    Lost Eden, I believe.
    That's gotta be it.

    VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    beat wrote: »
    im trying to remember one game i used to really enjoy as a kid, all i remember is it was a shitty (by todays standards) FMV type adventure game, with dinosaurs i think, and i remember at the end you fight some boss that shoots fire balls at you and you drop down and go around the platform and grab this cube... thats all i really remember from that game

    Oh shit. I know what game you're talking about but I too forget the name.

    The main character was named Adam and it was some period of time that was lost where dinosaurs and man roamed the world at the same time. It was all point and click, and you had to go around with your friends and friendly dinos and get the parts of a cube. You had to avoid the "Tyran" which were T-Rex which agro'ed on sight. The end guy was some fire-spitting dragon, but because you had the last part of the cube, you shattered his illusion and won.

    Lost Eden, I believe.
    That's gotta be it.

    holy shit it is... lol wow i didnt think anyone would be able to tell me what game this was... looking at it now... it doesnt really look like its worth playing through it again, i guess when your 8 everything is good lol

    beat on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Star Crusader.

    It was a budget Wing Commander / X-Wing clone with laughable 3D "FMV" and a really good plot.

    ihd on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Subspace, now Continuum. Specifically Trench Wars. Nothing like dogfighting in a ship that takes thirty seconds to 180 and can only shoot every 5 seconds. (Leviathans 4 life).

    Fuck your leviathans, you blue-bombing bastard!! Spiders 4 lyfe!! :P

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Oh man, I need to install Blade Runner.

    I hope it'll run in XP.

    I reinstalled it last week, and after running it in compatibility mode, it runs pretty flawlessly. <3

    "I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe. I told my wrath, my wrath did grow."

    Reinstalled it today, thanks to this thread. Compatibility mode for the win. Westwood for the eternal win. :^:

    Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    KouKou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    neverhood-games_ets.jpg

    The finest video game soundtrack ever along with the delicious Skullmonkeys OST.

    Kou on
  • Options
    DoctorJesusDoctorJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i own that one! AWESOME GAME! alternate endings :)

    i think im gonna re install it.. had the time of mylife with it :)

    DoctorJesus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Shit man. Tyrian 2k also? im down for that!
    I'll do you and everybody else one even better - ALL of it. Tyrian, OMF, DOOM, Descent, Blood, Quake, Warcraft - ALL of the old Dos gems. It'll be a Dostravaganza of epic proportions!

    ...provided I get around to writing a proper thread for it, of course...
    Zell wrote: »
    Viscountalpha, sorry, I lied. You can't play Tyrian 2000 multiplayer over the internets. Netcode was removed for 2000 (seeing as it belonged to Epic, which weren't involved with 2000), you can however copy the netcode files from 2.0 shareware and play through all the first four episodes with Tyrian 2000's features.

    Me playing the first level with Lernean Hydra (both me and him are located in Norway, so not much lag)
    Is there a specific guide for this, or just a simple cut-and-paste job of the 2.0 configuration files?

    EDIT: I see what you did there.

    I think we do need to resurrect (pardon the oncoming pun) Doom and doom 2 for online matches. Doom on the 360 is just sad and laggy to no end. (otherwise its great fun)

    Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    So... nobody can hook me up with any Spaceward Ho!?

    :(
    http://www.deltatao.com/ho/
    I hope you didn't think it was free or something, but there you go.

    Oh god, thank you thank you thank you!

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Subspace, now Continuum. Specifically Trench Wars. Nothing like dogfighting in a ship that takes thirty seconds to 180 and can only shoot every 5 seconds. (Leviathans 4 life).

    Fuck your leviathans, you blue-bombing bastard!! Spiders 4 lyfe!! :P

    Oh, dudes. It's aaall about the terriers. Zoom zoom!

    Veegeezee on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The amazing thing about Blade Runner is that it follows the same 'path' the movie did. The movie's almost completely different from Do Androids Dream, but at the same time it captures the spirit perfectly and is a brilliant film at the same time. The game does the exact same thing. Damnit, where'd I put that box...

    Glal on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if these have been mentioned, but when I think of the best "ancient" PC games, I think of:


    Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception:
    battletech.png


    The Ancient art of War:
    Ancient%20Art%20of%20War2.png


    GORILLA.BAS:
    250px-Gorillas_screenshot.png


    And, of course, Alley Cat:
    Alleycat.png

    Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zell wrote: »
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division runs quite nice in XP with only the official patches.
    Crusader: No Regret should run pretty nice in DOSBox now.

    Link plz.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shogo%20patch
    Aw man, Raptor was awesome. The best part was that there were a large number of configuration options for loading out your jet. Once you started rolling in the cash it got pretty crazy.
    You really should try Tyrian 2000.

    Zell on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A post on the last page made me want to re-install X3. Didn't we have a thread on that recently?

    edit: Also lol at Gorillas. Don't forget that snake game.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Also lol at Gorillas. Don't forget that snake game.

    Yeah, NIBBLES.BAS was great too.

    180px-Dos5sam.gif

    Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Subspace, now Continuum. Specifically Trench Wars. Nothing like dogfighting in a ship that takes thirty seconds to 180 and can only shoot every 5 seconds. (Leviathans 4 life).

    Fuck your leviathans, you blue-bombing bastard!! Spiders 4 lyfe!! :P

    Oh, dudes. It's aaall about the terriers. Zoom zoom!

    I can't fly Terriers on my laptop. Key configuration is all wrong. With a real keyboard, and a good team (i.e. collecting bursts and warps), I've had my bounty hit four digits before.

    Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    'And, of course, Alley Cat:'

    Yes.... I want to hear the 'music' again now. Still remember that game from when I was a little kid (bit too young to catch it on release I'd imagine :D) when it was on my dads pc. Good times.

    EDIT: Yep, came out 2 years before my birth >_>

    AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    'And, of course, Alley Cat:'

    Yes.... I want to hear the 'music' again now. Still remember that game from when I was a little kid (bit too young to catch it on release I'd imagine :D) when it was on my dads pc. Good times.

    EDIT: Yep, came out 2 years before my birth >_>

    In a way, it was a sort of precursor to today's "microgames", like Warioware.

    You jump into a window, perform some task, like catching mice or snatching fish from a tank, then jump back out and go to the next minigame.

    And, yeah its music was brilliant considering it was produced by the PC-speaker.

    I've still got a copy on 5.25" floppies. I'll have to find a drive in the garage and see if the disc still works, so I can try to run it on DOSBox.

    Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yep, I'm just doing the same now! It's funny, as a kid I can remember not really understanding what I was supposed to do... and yet I'd still play it.

    AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got one- It's not nearly as old as some of the games here, but I'm pretty sure it's obscure enough. "Sub Culture" Anyone ever heard of it? You play as a six-inch person (species is questionable, only three fingers) who lives in a vast underwater society. Unnamed Protagonist spends his time freelancing in a submarine because his house was crushed by a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. (Seriously, human litter is really nasty at that size) Anyway, UP does odd jobs for the other aquatic gnomes, carts around bottlecaps and cigarettes, gets trapped in faction wars, and gets nearly eaten by fish.

    My copy's broken. ::sad::

    YggiDee on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jazz the Jackrabbit
    I used to play this game a lot. its basically a 2d shooter version of sonic. its pretty fun actually. ooh interesting fact, I just found out Cliffy B helped make it.

    963910956-00.gif

    963910808-00.gif

    Loom
    This is one of the more obscure lucasarts games and probably actually falls under the category of obscure games no has played. It was cool how the game had no inventory and you had to play music to solve the puzzles.

    loom04.png
    Loom.png

    It was supposed to be part of a trilogy too, it would be awesome if lucasarts made the other two games eventually. heck, they could probably make a deal to have you use the guitar hero remote. unfortunatly, lucasarts doesn't like making adventure games anymore :-(

    Indiana Jones and his desktop adventures
    This was a pretty amusingin game back when it was released because it had a huge array of adventures, so you would never really play the same game twice. its gameplay was semi-decent too.
    962298211-00.jpg
    962298282-00.jpg

    IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    List of decent games with broken images.

    Mobygames don't let you link to their images.

    Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, it's Jazz Jackrabbit. There's no article in it.

    Incidentally, I think Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was the last shareware game Epic made. Although it was also in stores.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blackthorne sort of rules. Blizzard's most badass game.
    The behind the shoulder shotgun blast to your chain-up allies is the single most hardcore move in gaming.

    PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    SealHammerSealHammer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pitfall.

    Alien Carnage.

    End of discussion.

    SealHammer on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zell wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division runs quite nice in XP with only the official patches.
    Crusader: No Regret should run pretty nice in DOSBox now.

    Link plz.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shogo%20patch
    Aw man, Raptor was awesome. The best part was that there were a large number of configuration options for loading out your jet. Once you started rolling in the cash it got pretty crazy.
    You really should try Tyrian 2000.

    I still like some of the food ships alot. Has anyone done the blacknova stargate to the past? and succeeded?

    Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    endless_voidendless_void Registered User new member
    eobet wrote: »
    CapnARRR wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »


    Better than Scorched Earth
    howitzer.png

    Yes, really. It had tons of more options, dozens of more weapons, guidance systems, shield variations, parachutes and hover jets, gravity and atmospheric settings, tracers, etc. etc. etc. and the most important thing:

    SIMULTANEOUS FIRING

    Could you please wright the name of this game? I've been searching for it for a long time.

Sign In or Register to comment.