Options

Best obscure & ancient PC games?

• Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    lb2.jpg

I remember playing this game until you get to the part where the murderer chases you with that giant bat or whatever. I was 10 years old and was too scared to finish it :(

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    First gory game I ever played. Proboably traumatized me pretty hard when i was young.

250px-Noregret_box_art.jpg

You can still download the demo, but I cannot get it working in DOS. I'd be able to play it, but my dad put an axe through our old Compaq laptop that i used to play it on.

Fuckin XP...

Oh hell, I've never played it. But I do see it at the computer store I go to and I half assed tempted to buy it. But I don't think it runs on XP.

Dear god, it needs to be XBLA. or a modern remake. CHRIST IT LOOKS AWESOME.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Decius wrote: »
    Do the games have to ancient AND obscure, or just one? Cause under the ancient category (well old, not quite ancient) I'd have to give a nod to Shogo: Mobile Armour Division.

ShogoBox.jpg

DAMN YOU!

Another game I see at the computer shop I go to. I might get it. Is there any Fan Patches for this game so it can run on XP?

Too bad this game was overshadowed by HALF-LIFE.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division runs quite nice in XP with only the official patches.
    Crusader: No Regret should run pretty nice in DOSBox now.

Zell on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Beki wrote: »
    I've been addicted lately to hard-to-find PC games. Please post your old favorites! Most of mine are from when I was a kid or things that I found in the discount bin at CompUSA five years ago. The best part is that now you can download most of them for free. They're stupid, they have crappy graphics, and I love them.
    Castle of the Winds (Windows ?)
    This game is my memory of the first time I found out that other people thought RPGs were way nerdy. Ahh, 1995. It's a very graphically challenged RPG with bonus points for being one of the first games I ever played where I got to choose to play a female. Link

Published in '89, it was basically the grandfather of it's much prettier offspring Diablo.

Also, I have many a fond memory of the Commander Keen series. All hail the Dopefish.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There were also some pretty cool secrets in OMF2097. There was a code to unlock a menu to fiddle with certain settings. There was also a code to cause way more shrapnel to fall upon hits that really made the game incredible when maxed out (I think it involved holding down R+A+I+N+a number from 1-0, with 0 being the highest, if I remember correctly). There were also 2 hidden levels and bosses, Fire and Ice. I only ever could get Fire to appear. Not to mention all of the hidden challengers. Really a great game. I may have to give it another spin.
    The best secret was probably the alternate combo system, where instead of the hardcoded combos you could combo someone as long as your move
    a) connected and
    b) you hadn't hit them with that move yet.

I loved that game, even if I sucked at it horrible.

I... I also loved the 3d spiritual successor, despite its many flaws. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    lb2.jpg

I remember playing this game until you get to the part where the murderer chases you with that giant bat or whatever. I was 10 years old and was too scared to finish it :(
    I managed to finish it, but got frustrated when the game punished me for using the usual Sierra tactics (examine and pick up everything) and gave me the worst ending for my tampering.

I should go back and try to be a good investigator.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Simon the Sorcerer. Just as funny as the LucasArts adventure games but with an English accent.

Also, Chex Quest.

http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/

I recently replayed Simon the Sorcerer, it's so slow and not half as amusing as I remembered. Having Chris Barrie (sp?) voice Simon was fun though, and the main reason I bought it (for CD32 no less!). Other games:

Goblins, Gobliins 2
    Creatures 2 (ok, it was C64 but DAMN IT, IT'S MY FAVOURITE GAME EVER!)
    Dreamweb (I just liked it as a kid because it had gore and sex)
    Moonstone
    4d Sports Racing (I think that was the title, the track editor on it was superb!...for the time. Actually I think this got called just "Stunts" earlier on in the thread.)
    FX Fighter (I probably remember this being better than it was)
    Fatal Racing, unlocking the extra set of tracks felt great! ANd then there was the super weird set of tracks you could switch to with a cheat.
    Screamer, Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally - I always feel compelled to dig out my CD's and go back to these but the lack of a gamepad stops me. The original was made to rival ridge racer and then the other two really really improved things.
    Life and Death - I think that was the title. Very fun.
    Stunt Driver, or maybe Stunt Car Racer - I had it on pc, you drove on a very narrow track high up in the air. Great 3d graphics for the time.
    Syndicate (and syndicate wars) - Again, played on the amiga but still cool.
    Wing Commander 1 and 2 - Not obscure but fun.
    Lost Vikings - Dunno if this hit PC but it was definitely out on Amiga

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not sure if this counts as old and obscure, but I pumped so many hours into the first Discworld game! I remember buying my first copy at pc world, getting it home, installing it, and the text was all in german. I took it back, exchanged the copy, and the same problem. German Discworld.

I can't remember how I eventually got a proper copy, but once I did, there was no stopping me.

Again, hardly obscure, but the first Settlers game ^_^

Ponge on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone remeber the game outwars, i had a demo for it, where you had a jetpack and you had like a squad of three men. it''s an old one.

I had the demo, and eventually the full game. I had a ball, even though I sucked.

I used to play pretend Outwars in the playground during early primary school. Jumping around and pretending to pew pew tanks and stuff. :P

Suriko on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Space Hulk

96720409700ar1.gif

I got into the board game and then 40K because of this game. A fairly accurate real-time adaptation of the (version 1) board game rules. Freaking hard. Sometimes you come up with a perfect plan and have everyone in exactly the right place, but Genestealers still manage to rush through a hail of storm bolter fire and eat all your Space Marines. Great atmosphere, too, probably the only one to have the brooding, pre-commercial success era vibe. The sequel sucked, though.

Holy crap, yes! I totally forgot about Space Hulk.

I'm off to play Syndicate ;-)

Fawkes on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

I absolutely loved this game, but I'll be damned if I can get it running now at any acceptable speed under DosBox.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    DarkdeusDarkdeus Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Not all obscure or classics and lots of them have been mentioned already. They were so fun as a kid though : )

jazz jackrabbit II
    kens labyrinth
    Dogs or Dogs of War? co-op was awesome
    hocus pocus
    Lamborghini American Challenge
    Zorro
    lost vikings
    Thor: God of Thunder
    Duke Numkem II
    Blackthorne
    Bio Menace
    Blake Stone
    Halloween Harry
    Sky Roads
    Raptor
    Chex Quest
    Hugo's House of Horrors 1-3
    Terminal Velocity
    Rise of the Triad
    Out of this World
    Sango Fighter
    Slipstream 5000
    Screamer
    Alien Trilogy
    All the quest for glory and kings quest games.
    Aces over Europe

and why hasn't anyone remade Tie Fighter? Only the freespace games came close to tie fighters awesomeness.
    I don't understand why the space sim genre is so dead : (

Darkdeus on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Darkdeus wrote: »
    and why hasn't anyone remade Tie Fighter? Only the freespace games came close to tie fighters awesomeness.

Space sims are dead because Freespace 2 was the perfect space sim. And it didn't sell for shit.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Midnight Rescue
    Operation Neptune
    Treasure Mountain

Oh yes, Super Solvers kicked ass back in the day ;]

FUCK YES!

I sucked at the games when I was a kid but I loved them!

oooooo.....

Hugo's Adventures... Jill of the Jungle... Thor: God of Thunder... Halloween Harry... Decent... 3D Movie Maker (kinda was a game if you went around finding tickets...

I was coming in here to suggest 3D Movie Maker, so consider it seconded. BTW, there was also a Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker, but unless you could do perfect impresonations of the characters, the included audio clips were useless.

I had friends sleep over often. When they would, we'd pair off in two-man movie-making crews. While the others were playing Nintendo 64 (just launched), the first two would create a movie and later "premier" it to the others. Then it'd be time for the next two participants and we'd start the cycle over. It became an attempt one-up the last two in humor or vulgarity. Good times!

I remember when we figured out that text box "censor bars" could help us make it more vulgar than the dancing animations alone allowed. ;)

CZroe on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Darkdeus wrote: »
    Space sims are dead because Freespace 2 was the perfect space sim. And it didn't sell for shit.
    PC games that require a joystick (i.e., space action games and mecha games) are all kind of moribund, since the number of people with gaming-capable computers has shot way, way past the subset with joysticks since the days of DOS. There have been kind of a lot of second or third rate space games released in the last few years, though. Nothing on the scale of Freespace, X-Wing, Independence War or Wing Commander, but quite a few along the lines of Tachyon or Starlancer.

Well, I guess X3 was pretty ambitious.

Space combat games that came out in the last half year:

Arvoch Conflict
    Evochron Alliance
    Starshatter: The Gathering Storm
    Darkstar One
    Romanians in Space (Really; only if you live in Romania, though)
    Gunship Apocalypse (Don't know if this actually released)

And a few upcoming:

Space Force 2
    Tarr Chronicles
    The Divine (looks so bad...)

I don't think there are any PC mecha games on the horizon.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

And now we'll never know just what was going on with the Shivans... :(

Darksier on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of space sims, just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Wing Commander: Privateer remake.

I wonder if the game they based it on ever got out of the "spawning gigantic cargo haulers in front of you as you're heading into dock" phase.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Psi 5 Trading Company:

http://www.answers.com/topic/psi-5-trading-company-game

I'm an old man...

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    DIRK SMALLWOOD was one of the funniest and more engaging rpgs I have ever played. And it was free! Or sherware... either way it was really cheap. And Fun!

Yeah, they're the same crew that LORD. Oh, and it's 'Dink Smallwood'. I've got a signed copy of Dink around here somewhere. You can get it free at www.rtsoft.com I think.

Yes, it is fun as hell. Beware the chickens.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I absolutely loved this game, but I'll be damned if I can get it running now at any acceptable speed under DosBox.
    It runs great in .70. Are you using the newest version of DOSbox?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    goc_singoc_sin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    People have mentioned so many great games I've played in the past... Wasteland was probably my all time favorite. Here's one I didn't see mentioned yet.

The Magic Candle

Magic%20Candle,%20The2.png
    Magic%20Candle,%20The7.png

goc_sin on

Noob Gamer Shirts
    Sin's Oblivion Expanded Light Armor Kit 3.0
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zell wrote: »
    Shogo: Mobile Armor Division runs quite nice in XP with only the official patches.
    Crusader: No Regret should run pretty nice in DOSBox now.

Link plz.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure how many of you would consider this obscure, but I used to spend hours at my friend's house watching him play this game:

Magic Carpet
    MagicCarpet.jpg

Szechuan on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thats magic carpet 2, and naw its not obscure

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the prince:
    4dprince.gif

xenon 2:
    943815483-00.gif

edit: ok so not really obscure. still great ancient pc games.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magic Carpet was one of the games that ran horribly in DOSBox, I believe. Has that been fixed?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Apogee published a pretty sweet top-down shooter game called Raptor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor:_Call_of_the_Shadows

Also: Whacky Wheels! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Wheels

Just Like That on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »

It runs great in .70. Are you using the newest version of DOSbox?

Apparently I wasn't. So now it runs at a decent speed, but another problem has cropped up: my joystick isn't working. I can configure it when I first run the game, but afterwards I can't use it for anything. And if I try to use the mouse, it's constantly dragging the cursor towards the top-left corner of the screen.

Oh well, I'll figure it out.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Catacomb Abyss: Sort of a predecessor to Doom (I think, I can't remember which came out first).

Continuum (also known as Alpha Waves): It's...well, I'm not really sure how to describe it. I think you'd have to play it for yourself.

I'm still waiting for the final part Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy.

Obsidian: A point-and-click adventure game that was a total mindfuck and showed some truly brilliant artists and game designers. It's like playing an Escher painting. Difficult to get running in XP, if you can even find it, but a total trip if you can.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So... nobody can hook me up with any Spaceward Ho!?

:(

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ancient, yes they are now. Obscure, maybe not so much. But these are games that I've played and have that warm fuzzy feeling for.

indycar.gif
    Indycar Racing by Papyrus (1993)

The followup to their Indy 500 sim, Papyrus' ICR was my first racing sim. I spent many hours behind the wheel of these open wheel beasts, racing the likes of Mario Andretti. It was amazing. I wish I still had it.

013.jpg
    Grand Prix 2 (1996)

My second racing sim, and honestly my first exposure to Formula One. Growing up in NASCAR country I didn't know much about F1. I learned fast. GP2 remains to this day one of the best F1 games made, and I wisely kept my copy. I currently have it installed and running on my XP machine through the wonders of QEmu and FreeDOS.

nascar2_screen004.jpg
    NASCAR Racing 2 by Papyrus (1996)

I missed out on the original NASCAR racing, but I managed to pick up NR2. I spent many hours turning left, 'nuff said there. The addition of an in-game paintshop allowed me to create as many cars as my mind could dream up.

sh_fatal.jpg
    Fatal Racing (aka Whiplash) (1995)

Insane stunt racing, exploding cars, LAN support and it only required one CD on the host machine for 16 players in the computer lab at my college to rev it up! What more do I need to say here?

grandprixlegends.jpg
    Grand Prix Legends (1998)

1998 really isn't that ancient, not even ten years. The game was obscure early on though, as sales figures were horrible. Now, though, the game is universally recognized as one of the finest racing simulations ever made, period. I still have my copy, and I never was able to master the technique of driving in this game. I still love it though. Fanmade mods keep the game alive even to this day.

sh_tek.jpg
    Tek War

Lousy first person shooter based on the novels, which I read. I loved the game though, because at the time I didn't know any better. I never beat the game, by the way.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    So... nobody can hook me up with any Spaceward Ho!?

:(
    http://www.deltatao.com/ho/
    I hope you didn't think it was free or something, but there you go.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Subspace, now Continuum. Specifically Trench Wars. Nothing like dogfighting in a ship that takes thirty seconds to 180 and can only shoot every 5 seconds. (Leviathans 4 life).

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »
    Apogee published a pretty sweet top-down shooter game called Raptor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor:_Call_of_the_Shadows

Also: Whacky Wheels! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Wheels

Aw man, Raptor was awesome. The best part was that there were a large number of configuration options for loading out your jet. Once you started rolling in the cash it got pretty crazy.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bladerunner from Westwood released November 1997

blade1ka4.jpg

blade2zq9.jpg

blade3si6.jpg

blade4lc1.jpg

Still one of the best games I have ever played. It is a point and click adventure with amazing setting (same as the movie but with different characters, locations although there are plenty that appear in both), excellent storyline which has similar themes to the movie yet different, branching paths and multiple endings which are genuinely different based on your actions (not just a good and bad ending), great voice acting, I could probably go on for a while.....

Oh and remember the Voigt-Kampff test and the image analyzing from the movie...... you get to do both.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    JaephethJaepheth Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    StarControl

Conquests of the Longbow: The Adventures of Robin Hood

Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel

Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

Themepark

Populous: The Beginning

Time Commando

Jaepheth on
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    not obscure... but one of my favorites as a kid

g08174saqhj.jpg

........ except for the fact all my oxen would die, or some dumb bitch would get poisoned, or drown in the river

im trying to remember one game i used to really enjoy as a kid, all i remember is it was a shitty (by todays standards) FMV type adventure game, with dinosaurs i think, and i remember at the end you fight some boss that shoots fire balls at you and you drop down and go around the platform and grab this cube... thats all i really remember from that game

beat on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, I need to install Blade Runner.

I hope it'll run in XP.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, I need to install Blade Runner.

I hope it'll run in XP.

I reinstalled it last week, and after running it in compatibility mode, it runs pretty flawlessly. <3

Kami on