Options

Fire Emblem: Thread is done.

• Options
    QuickSmasherEXEQuickSmasherEXE A mad genius, Where you cannot see meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Alright, here are some changes, but first I should mention that these are main character classes (Oops...)

Average Level 10 stats of a Mercenary-
    HP- 28
    Strength- 12
    Magic- 2
    Defense- 8
    Resistance- 9
    Speed- 4
    Skill- 14
    Luck- 4-5

Hm... well, the avoid will be horrid, but otherwise it is pretty strong. I do have some balancing features in the game, which hopefully balance it, especially Dual Advantage (with a Weapon Triangle Advantage, you get precisely 1 extra attack in battle, even if your using a brave weapon)-
    There are a lot of magic weapons instead of just one per type (lances have 3 or so). Enemies which I made competant (because I do enjoy a good challenge) means that your lack of avoid is a liability, and a diverse arsenal of enemie soldiers from the 4th or so chapter onwards means that you only double 20% of the enemies army until promotion. Of course, I put in reaver weapons, which I may have to remove or weaken for balance (what do you think)? Disarm unequips the enemy's weapon, so you can steal it (because that can be fun, and I would put it back in as a thief skill), but they re-equip it to attack the next turn.

Axe Knights (the Axe Knight unit would be royal, which is why he has Royal Weapon)-
    I think I will reduce the royal weapon bonus to 5 for unpremoted units but keep it 10 if the unit is promoted. That should offer some balance. Compared to Knights/Generals, they have more strength, magic, and defense but are slower and have a tad less skill, as well as 3 movement (4 upon promotion) to 4 movement (5 or 6 upon promotion). I still can't think of a second tier 1 skill though

Comments?

Kind of hard to say one way or another about the stats without seeing the starting numbers and caps. Either way, this character class will get shredded later on without a speed bump. Knights can handle the low speed (thus suffering x2 attacks) because they have high defense. This class will be a glass cannon, not unlike Dorcus and Barte from FE7.

Personally, I don't know what direction this class is trying to go in. I'm assuming something middle of the road, but the numbers indicate otherwise. Shed some light on the situation.

Also, is this class assuming the FE:A engine? You mention things like Reaver weapons and WTA stuff. Is this a fan-made variation of FE? If so, I'd need to know about a lot more of the engine in order to rate/place this class in any sort of hierarchy. :)

It's an awakening-like game, but with some changes to what this and that does (A Weapon Triangle Advantage [WTA] is more a boost to you than a penalty to your enemy, there are more supports that don't lead to marriage, there are more magic weapons and they act differently at a range, but there is still the same 2-gen mechanic, reclassing, etc.), but pretty much yes, it is Fire Emblem fan-made. Sort of.

Spoilered for text size
    Base stats-
    HP- 20
    Strength- 6
    Magic- 1
    Skill- 7
    Speed- 2
    Defense- 5
    Resistance- 4
    Luck- 2
    Movement- 6
    Lance rank- D

Growths-
    HP- 90%
    Strength- 65%
    Magic- 10%
    Speed- 20%
    Skill- 70%
    Defense- 40%
    Resistance- 55%
    Luck- 25%

Mercenary Skills- Dual Advantage (One extra attack with a WTA), Disarm (Skill%, de-equips enemy weapon, can trigger along with other skills like Aether)

Promotion to Hero class-
    Sword rank +3 (starts at C)
    HP +3
    Strength +3
    Magic +1
    Skill +2
    Resistance +3
    Defense +2
    Speed +4

Caps of Hero Class-
    HP- 80
    Strength- 45
    Magic- 30
    Defense- 40
    Resistance- 44
    Skill- 50
    Speed- 38
    Luck- 45

Hero skills- Resolve (increase skill and strength by 30% when under half HP), Aether (Skill/2%, Sol and Luna in a single hit, rather than two successive uses of both)

Modifiers of the character-
    Strength +2, Magic -2, Speed -3, Skill +4, Resistance +1, Luck -2

Other features that may affect this-
    Bows have a WTA advantage a range but a WT-disadvatage up close.
    Reaver weapons have been removed from the concept

The class is like a silver cannon. You won't explode upon being hit, and you can deal a lot of damage with one attack, but you don't dodge very well or double without using a weapon triangle advantage (WTA). However, when you do double (or use Aether/Land a critical, which is not unlikely given how the character can reclass to Brute [rename of barbarian] then become a Berserker for Wrath), it is practically a guaranteed kill. The decent defenses of the class and good move also allow for quickly reaching a choke point, and one will not have to worry about a weapon type weakness (like a hammer). Though it lacks the defense of a general, it has resistance comparable to sages, troubadour promotions, etc.

The characters who have access to Mercenary/Hero also have a lineage-unique weapon (which I have called the Rhongomyniad), a 1 range, 14 might, 70 hit unlimited use weapon effective against both flying and beast units, making akin to a more situational Ragnell and is obtained 2/3 of the way through the journey.

That should cover it, unless you want stat caps of other classes, character reclassess, modifiers, supports, etc., pretty much everything not story related (still working on that one. What can I say, I'm obsesive)

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    QuickSmasherEXEQuickSmasherEXE A mad genius, Where you cannot see meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jars wrote: »
    when trained

it's easier to not train those characters and use duessel. duessel has more than enough power to dominate the game from when he joins onward. ross takes chapter after chapter of babying and contributing nothing to be a decent character. he's never a good character because of his speed issues. a 10/20/1 berserker ross averages... 13 speed. his stats are barely better than garcia, why not use garcia instead?

even if you take out the fact that in order to beat SS on hard all you have to do is roll the game with seth+duessel/saleh(deploy only ephraim, seth and duessel on phantom ship. be amazed at how easy the 'most difficult' chapter is) and you compare him to a good character like say gerik a hero gerik at 20/1 has 18 speed, and he can use steel axes with no speed loss. oh and he's more durable too with higher hp and defense stats, and swords. you can repeat this over and over with ephraim, cormag, lute, saleh, joshua etc. none of them take any babying, they join ready to go and have great stats. not even lute since her avoid is pretty good and she hits the much lower resist stat.

You can have Ross as a pirate in one chapter and a risen map without notable effort. Duessel is still bad, and I will forever use the other Knights/Cavaliers.

Now, I'm not saying Ross is better than Lute or Gerik, but to be fair, that is an unfair comparison (since those two are in the top 5 best characters in the game, top 20 in the series).

And who knows, maybe I'm just lucky since my Rosses usually have 16-19 speed by level 1 berserker. Even then, Ross has berserker (which is 30 strength and 29 speed. He'll never cap either, but he will certainly get more than Hero's rather pathetic 24 in each), which no other character can claim, besides Dozla.

Oh, I have a legitamate not me being a whiny person who believe SS>FE7 comment (which is true, minus the whiny part :rotate: )

I heard you can train Amelia without a Risen map. Teach me how! Please!

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've determined through SCIENCE* that there are five types of Fire Emblem players. They are:

The Storiest: Always resets upon character death. Has to see as many support conversations and endings as possible. Must get all the S ranks!
    The Min/Maxer: Builds a death squad of perfectly created genetic killers. Will spend countless hours grinding skills/exp, plotting marriages, and arguing best skill/stat sets. Will admonish others for their poor builds.
    The Killer: No matter how hard he/she tries, almost always ends up killing a character on a map somehow. Doesn't look back though...much to the shock and horror of others.
    The Smash Bro: Only buys the game on the off chance that Roy and/or Marth are playable. Trades it in or never plays the game again after trying it once.
    The Lunatic: Plays the game on the hardest difficulty with a steadfast refusal to restart after a character's death. Will often times "accidentally" move a Lord into death after losing a character, prompting a game over screen. Never admits to these failings on forums while boasting.

It's not uncommon for players to fall into more than one category. :)
    *no actual science used in the post

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Admonish is a little harsh, some of us just give constructive criticism :P

The Lunatic is a little off as well - the game gets easier the fewer non-MC characters you deploy, after all.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Think I've got all my pairings in order, all that's left is what brave soul I should hitch to Tharja's wagon. Stahl, Libra and Henry are the only ones open....

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I liked Stahl + Tharja's supports! I didn't get them to Rank S in the end, but C-A is pretty boss. I've never done Henry/Libra with her. As a point of balance though, Stahl's one of my favorite characters. Eugenics wise you'll get a magical powerhouse with Libra/Henry for a child. Stahl will make a tankier child.

I think my other one was Kellam + Tharja which was pretty nice.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Think I've got all my pairings in order, all that's left is what brave soul I should hitch to Tharja's wagon. Stahl, Libra and Henry are the only ones open....

Stahl's your best bet, Vantage combos nicely with sorcerer and she'll have both Aegis and Pavise.

ladi.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Stahl though, isn't the best in terms of modifiers when it comes to mages. -1 magic may not be awful, but he's still a little underwhelming for a sorcerer-father.

But I can't argue with Vantage, and no non-avatar character has both vantage and a positive magic modifier, though Lon'qu is close with his 0 modifier

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    Alright, here are some changes, but first I should mention that these are main character classes (Oops...)

Average Level 10 stats of a Mercenary-
    HP- 28
    Strength- 12
    Magic- 2
    Defense- 8
    Resistance- 9
    Speed- 4
    Skill- 14
    Luck- 4-5

Hm... well, the avoid will be horrid, but otherwise it is pretty strong. I do have some balancing features in the game, which hopefully balance it, especially Dual Advantage (with a Weapon Triangle Advantage, you get precisely 1 extra attack in battle, even if your using a brave weapon)-
    There are a lot of magic weapons instead of just one per type (lances have 3 or so). Enemies which I made competant (because I do enjoy a good challenge) means that your lack of avoid is a liability, and a diverse arsenal of enemie soldiers from the 4th or so chapter onwards means that you only double 20% of the enemies army until promotion. Of course, I put in reaver weapons, which I may have to remove or weaken for balance (what do you think)? Disarm unequips the enemy's weapon, so you can steal it (because that can be fun, and I would put it back in as a thief skill), but they re-equip it to attack the next turn.

Axe Knights (the Axe Knight unit would be royal, which is why he has Royal Weapon)-
    I think I will reduce the royal weapon bonus to 5 for unpremoted units but keep it 10 if the unit is promoted. That should offer some balance. Compared to Knights/Generals, they have more strength, magic, and defense but are slower and have a tad less skill, as well as 3 movement (4 upon promotion) to 4 movement (5 or 6 upon promotion). I still can't think of a second tier 1 skill though

Comments?

Kind of hard to say one way or another about the stats without seeing the starting numbers and caps. Either way, this character class will get shredded later on without a speed bump. Knights can handle the low speed (thus suffering x2 attacks) because they have high defense. This class will be a glass cannon, not unlike Dorcus and Barte from FE7.

Personally, I don't know what direction this class is trying to go in. I'm assuming something middle of the road, but the numbers indicate otherwise. Shed some light on the situation.

Also, is this class assuming the FE:A engine? You mention things like Reaver weapons and WTA stuff. Is this a fan-made variation of FE? If so, I'd need to know about a lot more of the engine in order to rate/place this class in any sort of hierarchy. :)

It's an awakening-like game, but with some changes to what this and that does (A Weapon Triangle Advantage [WTA] is more a boost to you than a penalty to your enemy, there are more supports that don't lead to marriage, there are more magic weapons and they act differently at a range, but there is still the same 2-gen mechanic, reclassing, etc.), but pretty much yes, it is Fire Emblem fan-made. Sort of.

Spoilered for text size
    Base stats-
    HP- 20
    Strength- 6
    Magic- 1
    Skill- 7
    Speed- 2
    Defense- 5
    Resistance- 4
    Luck- 2
    Movement- 6
    Lance rank- D

Growths-
    HP- 90%
    Strength- 65%
    Magic- 10%
    Speed- 20%
    Skill- 70%
    Defense- 40%
    Resistance- 55%
    Luck- 25%

Mercenary Skills- Dual Advantage (One extra attack with a WTA), Disarm (Skill%, de-equips enemy weapon, can trigger along with other skills like Aether)

Promotion to Hero class-
    Sword rank +3 (starts at C)
    HP +3
    Strength +3
    Magic +1
    Skill +2
    Resistance +3
    Defense +2
    Speed +4

Caps of Hero Class-
    HP- 80
    Strength- 45
    Magic- 30
    Defense- 40
    Resistance- 44
    Skill- 50
    Speed- 38
    Luck- 45

Hero skills- Resolve (increase skill and strength by 30% when under half HP), Aether (Skill/2%, Sol and Luna in a single hit, rather than two successive uses of both)

Modifiers of the character-
    Strength +2, Magic -2, Speed -3, Skill +4, Resistance +1, Luck -2

Other features that may affect this-
    Bows have a WTA advantage a range but a WT-disadvatage up close.
    Reaver weapons have been removed from the concept

The class is like a silver cannon. You won't explode upon being hit, and you can deal a lot of damage with one attack, but you don't dodge very well or double without using a weapon triangle advantage (WTA). However, when you do double (or use Aether/Land a critical, which is not unlikely given how the character can reclass to Brute [rename of barbarian] then become a Berserker for Wrath), it is practically a guaranteed kill. The decent defenses of the class and good move also allow for quickly reaching a choke point, and one will not have to worry about a weapon type weakness (like a hammer). Though it lacks the defense of a general, it has resistance comparable to sages, troubadour promotions, etc.

The characters who have access to Mercenary/Hero also have a lineage-unique weapon (which I have called the Rhongomyniad), a 1 range, 14 might, 70 hit unlimited use weapon effective against both flying and beast units, making akin to a more situational Ragnell and is obtained 2/3 of the way through the journey.

That should cover it, unless you want stat caps of other classes, character reclassess, modifiers, supports, etc., pretty much everything not story related (still working on that one. What can I say, I'm obsesive)

More comments?

• Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    So I've heard plenty of the apparent glory that is girl Morgan, and since SerenesForest doesn't seem to have all the support conversations yet, would it be worth a quick run-through with a male Avatar just to see for myself? I've only got boy Morgan to use as a reference, but I was quite fond of him.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Digito wrote: »
    So I've heard plenty of the apparent glory that is girl Morgan, and since SerenesForest doesn't seem to have all the support conversations yet, would it be worth a quick run-through with a male Avatar just to see for myself? I've only got boy Morgan to use as a reference, but I was quite fond of him.

I'd say so.

I mean, Boy Morgan is fine, quite entertaining. But Girl Morgan is one of my top five characters in the game, easy.

The parental supports are basically the same, but all the other ones are entirely different.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    girl morgan is awesomesauce.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Be a man, bag a waifu.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Me no get. Still

• Options
    wonderlakewonderlake Registered User regular
    Hi everyone

I seem to have missed recruiting Laurent ? I played the paralogue but he didn't join my roster afterwards; I guess I needed Miriel to visit all of the villages or something ... is there a chance I can re-recruit him? Like, will I be able to do the level again?

If I restart as a new MU then I will have to redownload (pay again) for DLC ?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    wonderlake wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I seem to have missed recruiting Laurent ? I played the paralogue but he didn't join my roster afterwards; I guess I needed Miriel to visit all of the villages or something ... is there a chance I can re-recruit him? Like, will I be able to do the level again?

If I restart as a new MU then I will have to redownload (pay again) for DLC ?

No on all counts.

You need Chrom or Miriel to visit the bottom left village to recruit Laurent. Miss him, and he's gone.

But at least the DLC you own is yours for keeps.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    How do you pronounce wyvern? "wee-vern" or "why-vern"?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    wi-VERN

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    According to wikipedia it's "Why-vern". I think I've always been doing Wiv-urn though...

• Options
    How fitting for you to be the first to answer that Wyborn :P It's "why-vern", I think it's derived from the Latin word for Viper, and all Vs sound like Ws in Latin.

Paired off Olivia and Chrom, I think it's my favourite of the ones I've seen. Unlucky Sumia, I'll find you a nice psychopath instead.

ladi.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    How fitting for you to be the first to answer that Wyborn :P It's "why-vern", I think it's derived from the Latin word for Viper, and all Vs sound like Ws in Latin.

Paired off Olivia and Chrom, I think it's my favourite of the ones I've seen. Unlucky Sumia, I'll find you a nice psychopath instead.

Funny...Henry is who I paired her with too.

• Options
    I did Oliva-Chrom this run and I was somewhat dissapointed by only one support conversation.

I've not gotten Inigo yet but Lucina having +4 Luck as a skill is sorta lame. I guess it's a skill she couldn't normally have...?

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »

I say 'Way-vern'

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I did Oliva-Chrom this run and I was somewhat dissapointed by only one support conversation.

I've not gotten Inigo yet but Lucina having +4 Luck as a skill is sorta lame. I guess it's a skill she couldn't normally have...?

Use the support log to view all of C-S. It's actually a completely different proposal scene as well, just like Chrom's other partners.

I'm doing a full grinding run this time, so I'll be passing Galeforce down to Lucina. Luck +4 technically is more than the other mothers give though :P

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options

Well, at the same time, who honestly pronounces 'Geoffrey' as 'Jaw-free' as it's officially pronounced?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    ...but I've always said it that way, and he asked how to pronounce it.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Just stating my... vocals, i guess

But isn't it hilarious how the English Narrator of RD pronounces, what, 5 things correctly?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ok, I just started playing Fire Emblem. As in, just finished the tutorial battle and first cinematic. Is there anything I should know before diving any further in this?

Also, is the Japanese voice acting better than the English? The first cinematic being full of Hmm, Huh, Hmm, Hey, Hmm got a bit irritating, but when they actually speak it's good.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

I say 'Way-vern'

I've always pronounced it wi-vern with a short I sound.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Ok, I just started playing Fire Emblem. As in, just finished the tutorial battle and first cinematic. Is there anything I should know before diving any further in this?

Frederick is only so awesome because he's level 21 and has a kick-ass weapon. He's there to handle threats your level 1 weaklings can't quite manage yet, not to solo entire maps.

• Options

Also, is the Japanese voice acting better than the English? The first cinematic being full of Hmm, Huh, Hmm, Hey, Hmm got a bit irritating, but when they actually speak it's good.

American voice acting and Japanese are apparently similar levels of quality, so go with English if you don't speak both.

Plus, for one character the American VA is a professional kickboxer while the Japanese VA is a middle aged woman. So, you know, that's a difference.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Plus, for one character the American VA is a professional kickboxer while the Japanese VA is a middle aged woman. So, you know, that's a difference.

W-what?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

W-what?

It's true!

Well, former professional kickboxer.

Henry: The best in more ways than you can count.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I've determined through SCIENCE* that there are five types of Fire Emblem players. They are:

The Storiest: Always resets upon character death. Has to see as many support conversations and endings as possible. Must get all the S ranks!
    The Min/Maxer: Builds a death squad of perfectly created genetic killers. Will spend countless hours grinding skills/exp, plotting marriages, and arguing best skill/stat sets. Will admonish others for their poor builds.
    The Killer: No matter how hard he/she tries, almost always ends up killing a character on a map somehow. Doesn't look back though...much to the shock and horror of others.
    The Smash Bro: Only buys the game on the off chance that Roy and/or Marth are playable. Trades it in or never plays the game again after trying it once.
    The Lunatic: Plays the game on the hardest difficulty with a steadfast refusal to restart after a character's death. Will often times "accidentally" move a Lord into death after losing a character, prompting a game over screen. Never admits to these failings on forums while boasting.

It's not uncommon for players to fall into more than one category. :)
    *no actual science used in the post

I guess I fall into the Storiest category, although there were characters I was prepared to let go (Stahl, Ricken) but others I absolutely would not accept losing.

Maribelle holds the record for causing the most resets in my game. I had no real use for her in battle, I just wanted to build up those relationship stats.

They should have an option in the next game to let you build relationships without having to physically take characters into battle.

• Options

I can see nobody else has said this so PAY ATTENTION TO ME, WYBORN

You can turn that 'Hmm, Huh, Hmm, Hey, Hmm' shit off

It's conversation voices or something like that

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also, man

Nobody told me recruiting Aversa would be like this

After this I have absolutely no reason to fear Priam, or assumedly Rogues and Redeemers

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Also, man

Nobody told me recruiting Aversa would be like this

After this I have absolutely no reason to fear Priam, or assumedly Rogues and Redeemers

Oh, don't worry.

The game still has things to show you.
    50 max level enemies, with multiple breaker skills.

• Options
    That I can take on, I'm not too worried

But my people are set up to be pains in the ass

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That I can take on, I'm not too worried

But my people are set up to be pains in the ass

Ah.

See, I brought my A-team to the Aversa map and crushed it like a bug under a steamroller, and I still had trouble with RnR 1 and 3.

What's your team setup like?