Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised to see so many comments on length, given how many AAA titles give the same, or less value in terms of $/hr.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm torn.

If I buy Transistor on PS4, I can remote-play on my Vita.
    If I but Transistor on PC, it will be easier to mine sound files and take pretty screenshots so I can theme my phone.

Both are hooked up to my 55" TV, and I have no hard preference between the DualShock4 or the 360 Wireless controllers.

This is the hardest decision I will make today.

Buy it on both.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm torn.

If I buy Transistor on PS4, I can remote-play on my Vita.
    If I but Transistor on PC, it will be easier to mine sound files and take pretty screenshots so I can theme my phone.

Both are hooked up to my 55" TV, and I have no hard preference between the DualShock4 or the 360 Wireless controllers.

This is the hardest decision I will make today.

Buy it on both.

I ended up buying it on Steam; now that I'm at work, even though I know there will be no chance to sneak away, I still kinda wish I had the option of remote playing it on my Vita.

• Options
    See, if you buy the game twice, then it's 10 hours long. Not 5 hours. The people saying it's only 5 hours long clearly only bought the game once. Damned liars.

My logic is infallible.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    5 hours is how long it took me to complete the game once, without spending much time in the tests or doing Recursion. Or getting achievements, or making sure I have all the lore unlocked.

I always found a dollar per hour measurement a poor measurement for value of entertainment.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    As someone who REALLY dug Bastion, I've put about an hour into this and am not feeling it at all so far. The art and music is cool, and the idea behind the combat is good, but the way Red moves is infuriatingly slow and plodding. I find myself really, really missing the roll. Cooldowns are an acceptable compromise to real-time, proper combat in MMOs and network heavy multiplayer stuff, but they feel out of place and just sap the energy out of the combat here, at least to my taste so far.

Edit: Unless I'm missing something? You queue up some cool stuff, execute and then just sort off...awkwardly half walk/half run around doing nothing until the timer ends, right? Am I missing something?

Not to mention, the narrator sounds like a kid trying to pull off an adult's raspy voice and completely failing.

Hopefully it'll grow on me.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    this combat system feels like an interesting but failed experiment

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm surprised to see so many comments on length, given how many AAA titles give the same, or less value in terms of $/hr.

I'm kind of more surprised given how long Bastion was

Which is to say

Right about the same length

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a game that gets what it wants to do done, and then ends

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    As someone who REALLY dug Bastion, I've put about an hour into this and am not feeling it at all so far. The art and music is cool, and the idea behind the combat is good, but the way Red moves is infuriatingly slow and plodding. I find myself really, really missing the roll. Cooldowns are an acceptable compromise to real-time, proper combat in MMOs and network heavy multiplayer stuff, but they feel out of place and just sap the energy out of the combat here, at least to my taste so far.

Edit: Unless I'm missing something? You queue up some cool stuff, execute and then just sort off...awkwardly half walk/half run around doing nothing until the timer ends, right? Am I missing something?

Not to mention, the narrator sounds like a kid trying to pull off an adult's raspy voice and completely failing.

You could try using Turn in shorter bursts so you spend less time waiting, and fight some more in real-time. Or put Jaunt in an upgrade slot so you can spam an ability while Turn recharges.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, I found the combat much more enjoyable once I used the upgrade that allows you to use that ability while your bar is recharging.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »

Jaunt() + Bounce() gives you a dash that recharges almost twice as fast, which certainly helps Red move around the level and react to nearby enemies better.

I honestly like this combat system even more than Bastion's. There are so many different ways to configure your abilities, and the function overloading forces you to not rely on one ability too much. Later into the game I had configured Red to barely even need Turn() in most combat situations, which came in handy when I fought
    The nest of Young Ladies, since they tend to dodge Turn() actions.

Is the combat in Transistor as visceral as Bastion's? No, but I feel the tradeoff for flexibility and creativity in build loadouts and combat styles is well, well worth it.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    I respect everyone's right to an opinion; but some of the people in this thread that are being silly geese about this game had some unrealistic expectations.

This is an amazing game with amazing mechanics; unbelieveble visuals; probably the best soundtrack ever.

But it was made by a incredibly small team of people so if it isn't in line with your expectations I have no idea why you were expecting so much more from a solo published indie game. You are being really unreasonable if you thought they had the budget to make a 60+hour AAA game. There's a reason no one's logo but Supergiant is before the title screen.

I'm actually glad its short because that means I can show it to people that aren't hardcore gamers and they have a chance to experience and enjoy it over a single sitting.

I only came to this thread to talk about how much I loved this game. I really did not expect so many people to dislike it.

11 out of 10 would buy again. I'd even buy it a second time just to give more of my money to Supergiant Games.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I liked the combat system a lot, but the combat itself needed more enemy variety, in my opinion. It's also way too easy (at least, if you're milking Turn() as much as I did).

I think it's about the 'feel'. Yes, a $60 game doesn't have good $/hr value, but:

1) You're still playing it for a day or two, which feels more valuable even if the $/hr are equivalent.
    2) It's the Age of Steam You can get AAA releases (older ones, but whatever) for like 5-10 bucks on sale. People are spoiled.

I didn't mind the length at all, but I knew the complaints would be coming based the $20 price tag.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Increasingly these days, I want a game to do what it needs to do, and not overstay its welcome.

Give me all your six to twelve hour games.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Increasingly these days, I want a game to do what it needs to do, and not overstay its welcome.

Give me all your six to twelve hour games.

It really depends on the genre for me. If it's a strategy / survival / management game, I would be appalled if I only got 4 hours out of it. But I'll take an RPG length of almost any quantity so long as the game itself is compelling, and the price isn't completely out of touch with the amount & quantity of content in the game.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    For people saying it as too easy.. did you not take advantage of the system that allows you to increase the difficulty?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    For people saying it as too easy.. did you not take advantage of the system that allows you to increase the difficulty?

I activated every one of the thingies that I unlocked, yes.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The Ender wrote: »

I activated every one of the thingies that I unlocked, yes.

How many did you unlock? There are 10 total, and you can only get 5 or so from a single playthrough without doing any/many of the challenge rooms. There's an achievement for completing 5 encounters with all 10 activated, so my guess is that would be a pretty hefty challenge.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

If you're saying it's too easy and aren't running 10/10 limiters, get back to me when enemies respawn twice as fast, have shields to break before you can execute the cell, fork into multiple cells, kill you when collected outside of Turn(). Oh, and you have more enemies spawning, they hit twice as hard, your capacity for skills is slashed dramatically, etc...

Also, I hit 3k+ in the practice. Anything/Everything get. (If you've cleared the one-turn challenges, you probably know exactly what I did for this) I could get much higher, but I need more levels first.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I wonder if ping+break+load is as powerful as I suspect. Gotta try that one out when I get home.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I wonder if ping+break+load is as powerful as I suspect. Gotta try that one out when I get home.

Against single targets or a group of targets clumped together, yes it is pretty powerful.

Ping + Breach + Purge/Crash is probably also pretty powerful. Lock em down and pummel em.

One of my personal favorites is Flood + Get and either Ping, Load, or Spark (and I'm sure it's terrific with Void, haven't tried it though). Great Big Floating Void Balls Death.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Getting up close to them means i'm going to eat every last one of the shots they fire, which means goodbye half my health. I haven't got time to wait for the shield to drop because I have every other enemy in the room hounding me.

There's no way to avoid getting hit outside of Turn(). Jaunt() only avoids damage while you're in the middle of the movement, the moment before you do it and the moment after you come out of it you're just getting pelted again. There's also not enough time in a Turn() to do much of anything. I spend all my big backstab and DoT abilities and it takes out half of one enemy's health. My cloak is good for waiting out one Turn() recharge, but then the 10 second cooldown means i'm going to be getting pelted for at least two more Turn() cycles.

Jaunt + Mask, perhaps, if you need the extra avoidance?

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Against single targets or a group of targets clumped together, yes it is pretty powerful.

Ping + Breach + Purge/Crash is probably also pretty powerful. Lock em down and pummel em.

One of my personal favorites is Flood + Get and either Ping, Load, or Spark (and I'm sure it's terrific with Void, haven't tried it though). Great Big Floating Void Balls Death.

Flood is pretty good with anything - it does serious damage.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Getting up close to them means i'm going to eat every last one of the shots they fire, which means goodbye half my health. I haven't got time to wait for the shield to drop because I have every other enemy in the room hounding me.

There's no way to avoid getting hit outside of Turn(). Jaunt() only avoids damage while you're in the middle of the movement, the moment before you do it and the moment after you come out of it you're just getting pelted again. There's also not enough time in a Turn() to do much of anything. I spend all my big backstab and DoT abilities and it takes out half of one enemy's health. My cloak is good for waiting out one Turn() recharge, but then the 10 second cooldown means i'm going to be getting pelted for at least two more Turn() cycles.

Jaunt + Mask, perhaps, if you need the extra avoidance?

There's another way: stop being the target altogether.

Run Help and Switch, and let your minion and the enemies fight it out amongst themselves while you sit on the edge of the battle spamming AoE attacks that hop from enemy to enemy.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Void()(Spark()/Crash()) and Flood(Load()/Purge()). 700-900 damage per ball in a small aoe.

Open up Turn(), and Void the area twice, then Flood up to three times. Even each phase of the last boss goes down in a single combo of Void-Void-Flood-Flood-Flood.

• Options
    Personally, I think this needs the 3DS/Vita treatment, along with Bastion.

If they can put Bastion on iOS, they can put it on a proper handheld.

Along with this.

Two Games One Cart

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Along with this.

Two Games One Cart

The Cunningham Collection.

• Options

Along with this.

Two Games One Cart

Would buy in a heartbeat. Touch screen controls in turn() would be neat. Hmm... selecting skill could be tricky though.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Are there any incentives to use the limiters besides the bonus XP? If there isn't something I've overlooked, I'll probably turn off a few of them after I get the Risk() achievement.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Some of the difficulty complaints remind me of the complaints about Bastion being too easy when played on it's easiest mode without any idols activated.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the combat. I don't have a problem with the 5-7 hour length, except for the fact that I want to keep doing the combat.

I've discovered that some builds just feel stronger if you don't use Turn();, but I like the tactical element of it too much to stop
    Peewi wrote: »
    Are there any incentives to use the limiters besides the bonus XP? If there isn't something I've overlooked, I'll probably turn off a few of them after I get the Risk() achievement.

Limiters are the supergiant alternative to difficulties. Greg has said before that he doesn't like the blind player choice of difficulty at the start of a game.

So you use them if you want the game to be harder

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Also, running the Limiter that causes 2 Cells to Spawn, while having Switch() as a passive, is actually a bit of a boost rather than a hindrance.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    The game is twenty dollars and has better art and sound direction than most "AAA" titles.

Holy shit has steam spoiled the fuck out of people.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The game is twenty dollars and has better art and sound direction than most "AAA" titles.

Holy shit has steam spoiled the fuck out of people.

When you can buy Just Cause 2 for like 3 bucks, nothing seems like a good deal anymore. :P

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Regarding the last boss:
    I need to go fight him again to see what was in those tanks. I noticed I could see into them when I was in Turn(), but was too busy to pay attention to them, and the fight ended up being shorter than I expected. I think playing through the game in recursion is going to be worthwhile, since it seems like a few things are different. (did anyone notice if antagonist-dude spoke to you in the intro the first time through?)

• Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Regarding the last boss:
    I need to go fight him again to see what was in those tanks. I noticed I could see into them when I was in Turn(), but was too busy to pay attention to them, and the fight ended up being shorter than I expected. I think playing through the game in recursion is going to be worthwhile, since it seems like a few things are different. (did anyone notice if antagonist-dude spoke to you in the intro the first time through?)
    I believe he does not, and that it is either a gentle nod to the ending of your first play through, or there is more to the story than we realize. Transistorseption?

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    So pretty, you guys. <3

I feel like I must be missing something in the equip-functions screen; is there a way to access it slots-first? When I was playing briefly yesterday, I could only see my slots after picking a function from the Big List Of Functions, which is super-annoying when I don't remember which ones I had equipped in the first place.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    So pretty, you guys. <3

I feel like I must be missing something in the equip-functions screen; is there a way to access it slots-first? When I was playing briefly yesterday, I could only see my slots after picking a function from the Big List Of Functions, which is super-annoying when I don't remember which ones I had equipped in the first place.

Yeah, the Transistor Function Customization UI could use a little bit of tweaking to make it less fiddly and unintuitive in places. You're not missing something, that's the only way I know of to check your loadout :?

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    So pretty, you guys. <3

Yeah, the Transistor Function Customization UI could use a little bit of tweaking to make it less fiddly and unintuitive in places. You're not missing something, that's the only way I know of to check your loadout :?

Whenever I was going to make a big change in my loadout I just uninstalled/removed everything and started from scratch. I knew the combos that worked, so it wasn't too bad of a hassle, and half the time I was wanting to try out new loadouts anyway to unlock more lore/find fallbacks for when I overloaded Crash().

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    guys

guys

Jaunt() + Bounce() + Cull()