As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I get a 2 second or so freeze ever few minutes.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Jim Sterling.

Do we seriously still care what this asshole thinks? Really?

You uh, you do realise his whole Jimquisition thing is a persona and not actually him? He's actually a pretty level headed and funny guy.

In more related news I just beat the first boss. So far it's super great and I'm loving the combat and build choices.

I have zero idea what Jimquisition even is. He responded to females in the most misogynistic way possible. Fuck him.
    Aistan wrote: »
    I will say the four or five people who hated the narration in Bastion should absolutely stay as far away from Transistor as possible.

It was a lot more than "4 or 5" and actually you're completely wrong. The narration here (if it's who I think it is) is completely different. The guy doesn't sound anything like the Southern pedophile he did in Bastion and the gameplay is actually fun!

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Is anyone else experiencing severe stuttering? Like every 20-30 seconds, the game will just freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. In the first zone it cleared up after a bit, but now I'm in the second zone and it keeps happening. I thought maybe it was just related to it being the first run, so I exited and restarted, but it persists.

My computer has plenty of power, so I'm not sure what's going on.

You aren't the only one apparently. The Steam Forums have quite a lot of a people reporting the exact same issue.

I haven't seen anyone with a sure-fire solution, but the Devs are aware of the problem, so hopefully there'll be a patch soon.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    There's already a patch of some sort out. You might want to get to an access point and exit the game so steam can update it if you're having any issues.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Question about leveling up
    Do you have the opportunity to get the functions you don't choose while leveling? I already feel regret over one of my choices early on, and I'd rather not restart already.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yes,
    They pop up after one or two levels.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Jim Sterling.

Do we seriously still care what this asshole thinks? Really?

You uh, you do realise his whole Jimquisition thing is a persona and not actually him? He's actually a pretty level headed and funny guy.

In more related news I just beat the first boss. So far it's super great and I'm loving the combat and build choices.

I have zero idea what Jimquisition even is. He responded to females in the most misogynistic way possible. Fuck him.

When was this? Are you referring to back when he worked at Destructoid? Because he's addressed that. (towards the end of the video, though the rest of it is worth watching)

Either way, it doesn't even have anything to do with the game so please don't try to pull the thread into this. I posted it because it's a good look at the game.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I am really glad I got this, although I am a bit too attached to a repetitive Turn -> Avoid damage until you have a full Turn Gauge -> Turn formula for battles. The combination possibilities are sweet as hell, but just like with Bastion the lack of any sentient, active beings populating the setting detracts a bit from my ability to engage with it. They've improved a bit in that regard though.

I wish more games did eclectic time era/music genre/[noun]punk/art movement mashups with the aesthetics, because this game really shows how awesome that can be.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    It's pretty minor but the usage percentages for all of the functions are super neat. It's cool to see what other people are doing.

• Options
    <Troll2>Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooood</Troll2>

The game natively recognizes the PS4 controller on PC without me having to shit up a x360ce plugin. Including proper Playstation controller button icons!

This is the greatest purchase.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'll be grabbing this on PC, but I'm curious how it plays on a 360 controller since I have that option available to me. Seems like it would be way more keyboard friendly than something like Bastion was, but did it swing too far in that direction or do controllers work fine too still?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I could not really imagine playing this game on a keyboard, honestly.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Anyone else playing without Turn()? It puts the challenge level right where I want it.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I played it with a 360 controller and it was great. It even had 360 prompts, which is kinda weird because I don't think it's actually on an Xbox.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's a minor thing, but it's nice how the game goes straight to the game when you start it and not a menu.
    Is anyone else experiencing severe stuttering? Like every 20-30 seconds, the game will just freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. In the first zone it cleared up after a bit, but now I'm in the second zone and it keeps happening. I thought maybe it was just related to it being the first run, so I exited and restarted, but it persists.

My computer has plenty of power, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm getting stuttering as well

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

The game natively recognizes the PS4 controller on PC without me having to shit up a x360ce plugin. Including proper Playstation controller button icons!

What sorcery is this?

Do you have the xinput wrapper installed, or is it recognizing a freshly plugged in DS4 without any additional software?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

What sorcery is this?

Do you have the xinput wrapper installed, or is it recognizing a freshly plugged in DS4 without any additional software?

It's recognizing the PS4 controller itself with no other add-ons, and I'm even getting the PS controller icons for the buttons.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Anyone else playing without Turn()? It puts the challenge level right where I want it.

Crash+Flood is nice for passives if you aren't using Turn(). Passive HP regen and 25% reduced damage. You'll probably need Jaunt as an active.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    dwareydwarey Nutley, NJRegistered User regular
    For anyone having trouble with stuttering, I increased my monitor's refresh rate to 60 and they went away. Not sure if it's a coincidence but figured i'd mention it...

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I LOVE this game.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My monitors are at 60, so it's not that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Also, screw the wolves. So annoying.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Also, screw the wolves. So annoying.

No, fuck those egg bastards, once they level up.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The stuttering makes this game unplayable. It's a shame, I'm really enjoying myself.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I played it with a 360 controller and it was great. It even had 360 prompts, which is kinda weird because I don't think it's actually on an Xbox.

Errr...PC games have been using 360 icons with a 360 controller plugged in for about 5 or 6 years now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Uncertainty generators so you can't target things in Turn() plus enemies that draw you towards them when they hit you plus cheerleaders that shield themselves in addition to whatever enemy they are shielding.

This is no longer enjoyable to play.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So pretty. Can't comment on the mechanics, though; every fight I change it up so I can decrypt all the skills for sweet infodumps.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's a minor thing, but it's nice how the game goes straight to the game when you start it and not a menu.
    It's probably the best cold open I've ever seen in a game. Like, I haven't had many games lately impress me as much over their entirety as this game just did in its first 30 seconds.

Everything after that has been pretty fantastic, too.

Monger on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Uncertainty generators so you can't target things in Turn() plus enemies that draw you towards them when they hit you plus cheerleaders that shield themselves in addition to whatever enemy they are shielding.

This is no longer enjoyable to play.

Uncertainty generators work on either the space around those enemies if you're far away, or only in the space far away if you're up close to them; get up next to them and you'll see them, no problem.

I hated the upgraded Cheerleaders for about ten seconds before realizing that you can just wait briefly and they'll drop their shield, at which point you can handily zoom up to them and murder them. Crash() helps, since you'll keep them stunlocked even in realtime mode.

And yeah, the dog-things can go to hell. I always have to take those things out first, because getting followed around and taking unavoidable damage from them gets on my nerves bigtime.

• Options
    FacadeFacade Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Managed to get through the whole thing without too much trouble. Wonderful game.
    The relationship between Red and the guy in the Transistor was very sweet, if sad. For a while I wondered if he wasn't some sort of fan or stalker before getting stuck in the sword, but looking back, that was a silly theory. The way Red cradles and rocks the Transistor as she hums to him, the lengths she goes to in order to kill the Spine when it's driving him crazy (more on that in a minute), how she starts using the terminals as a way to make sure he knows she can still hear him, the ending; the infatuation wasn't one-sided. There were a few story points I didn't quite get though, and they all center around one thing: The Camerata.

What exactly were the Camerata trying to do? Furthermore, what the hell is the Camerata? Are they like the mafia, or the government, or a secret society, or is that just what they call elites in Cloudbank? I get they were using the Process to do... something before things got out of control. Were they trying to take over the city? Purge the undesirables? Why was murdering Red and other artistic types such a high priority? One of them mentioned something about getting perspective from them to do - again - something. The Transistor is the (almost literal) linchpin of the Camerata's entire plan (whatever that is) and getting it back from Red is priority one, right? But at the end of the game we fight the final boss, who has his own Transistor, in an endless field of Transistors. Was that supposed to be abstract, like, in the Transistor?

There are a few other things not related to the Camerata: What were the Process? Robot servants? Robot demolition crew? Robot soldiers? All of the above? Why did the huge Spine Process make the Transistor guy sound like he was drunk?

Ultimately though, these questions really don't matter much. The heart of the story was the relationship between Red and the guy in the Transistor, and was quite satisfying. The city of Cloudbank is cool, and I'd love to know more about it, but much like Bastion's Caelondia, we got what we got, and there ain't gonna be much more.

Facade on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...I am very torn on this.

I love Bastion's narration, and it's ability to pull off the unreliable narrator so cleanly (difficult to do in any medium, much less a video game).

I feel like my expectations are going to be too high going into this, and that I'll be disappointed.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Getting up close to them means i'm going to eat every last one of the shots they fire, which means goodbye half my health. I haven't got time to wait for the shield to drop because I have every other enemy in the room hounding me.

There's no way to avoid getting hit outside of Turn(). Jaunt() only avoids damage while you're in the middle of the movement, the moment before you do it and the moment after you come out of it you're just getting pelted again. There's also not enough time in a Turn() to do much of anything. I spend all my big backstab and DoT abilities and it takes out half of one enemy's health. My cloak is good for waiting out one Turn() recharge, but then the 10 second cooldown means i'm going to be getting pelted for at least two more Turn() cycles.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ah sob I got home late today and it's not going to finish patching before I have to sleep ;-;

soon

sooooon

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Welp, potential disappointment be damned: downloading.

...See, the Path was intended for leisurely stroll and such. Not so much for noise and tomfoolery...

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't know what to tell you, then. I just run around and their shots virtually never hit me, unless I stand still or run straight at them; the shots just move in a straight line and don't home in, so running to evade or standing behind cover protects you. I don't have particular difficulty with them, I just use Turn, then Crash to weaken them and the penetrating attack once or twice to wipe them out.

Biggest issue I get with them is their evade ability, but it just means stacking an extra attack after the first one to guarantee a hit.

• Options
    Are people here doing KBAM right now or controller?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

What sorcery is this?

DS4s actually work on PCs out-of-the-box as a regular usb (not XInput) controller. Crazy that an input peripheral doesn't require a specific, proprietary API to function, innit?

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's probably the best cold open I've ever seen in a game. Like, I haven't had many games lately impress me as much over their entirety as this game just did in its first 30 seconds.

Everything after that has been pretty fantastic, too.

This threw me for a loop. I thought I'd accidentally skipped a cutscene.

If anyone else asks, yes, it really does start like that.

• Options

Ahahahahahaha.... That's awesome.