As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    BTW, the whole soundtrack is up on YouTube already!

The folks at SuperGiant say that the music is deeply interwoven with the narrative, and strongly encourage you to not listen to the soundtrack before playing the game.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Jim Sterling.

Do we seriously still care what this asshole thinks? Really?

You uh, you do realise his whole Jimquisition thing is a persona and not actually him? He's actually a pretty level headed and funny guy.

In more related news I just beat the first boss. So far it's super great and I'm loving the combat and build choices.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    BTW, the whole soundtrack is up on YouTube already!

The folks at SuperGiant say that the music is deeply interwoven with the narrative, and strongly encourage you to not listen to the soundtrack before playing the game.
    Whoops!

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Purchased and downloading now to my PS4 while I'm at work.
    I really need to setup WoL on my PC, that was just too damn convenient.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I will say the four or five people who hated the narration in Bastion should absolutely stay as far away from Transistor as possible.

I loved the narration in Bastion. He wasn't there physically with The Kid, he was relaying his knowledge of the story to a third party. The game you were playing already happened in terms of how it was being told, you were just hearing it as you went along doing the events that were being narrated. It added a lot (to me) to the overall setting and how I experienced it.

Transistor-
    (Everything i'm talking about is from the first hour and a half of the game, and not really spoilery at all, but since it literally just came out i'll put it in tags just to be safe)
    Transistor guy is right there with the main character, talking to her and talking about stuff as she goes along, in real time. That subtle difference from how it was handled in Bastion is enough to put me off slightly. It's like a running commentary by a person who can't stop talking for the benefit of a person who can't talk at all. It's starting to grate on me a little bit. I'm imagining Red screaming at him in her head to just shut up for a few minutes, but of course she can't say anything.

But as I said, first impressions from an hour and a half of play. Nothing definitive, and it's still a pretty darn good game right off the bat.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So, a quick rundown of the strategy:

Most enemies (but not all) take extra damage from behind. This can be hard to pull off during normal combat, but is pretty easy during your turn(). You can tell you're hitting from behind if your abilities as listed on your target say backstab after them.

turn() lets you freeze time, move around, and attack your enemies. Afterwards there is a recharge time for turn(); most abilities can't be used while turn() is recharging (jaunt() can however, and equipping jaunt() to another skill will usually let you use it at all times also).

crash() stuns enemies and causes them to take extra damage for a short time. Try crash()ing enemies and following the attack up with a heavy hitting backstab.

I recommend taking mask() and or switch() fairly early (I took both), because both can be used to give you breathing room while turn() recharges. If you mask() as your final attack, you'll be invisible for most of the recharge period. switch() is a little harder to use, as it charms only one monster normally, but it lasts longer and doesn't have a cooldown.

Each skill can be equipped to a primary slot, letting you use that skill in combat, but they can also be equipped to primary skills, giving the skill it's equipped to special effects. For instance, if you equip spark() as a primary skill and equip crash() to it, spark() will then stun enemies and open them up to more powerful attacks the way crash() normally would.

Each skill is correlated to a character in the world. Using the skill will give you access to extra info about that character. Equipping a skill passively to another skill will give you even more info.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Yeah the ability system is really interesting, and encourages you to experiment. Jaunt may seem like something you'll never unequip, but slotting it into another ability is also super useful. Also there's a hum button!

• Options
    I don't really like jaunt that much as an active skill. I have issues getting it to jaunt in the direction I want when I'm outside of Turn() and it has kind of a long recovery time after using it. Slotting it into abilities is a godsend though.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't really like jaunt that much as an active skill. I have issues getting it to jaunt in the direction I want when I'm outside of Turn() and it has kind of a long recovery time after using it. Slotting it into abilities is a godsend though.

It'll probably be pretty interesting seeing the builds different people come up with based on personal preference.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I was gonna say that I hoped it had vocal tracks like in Bastion, but then I remembered that the main character is always pictured with a mic, so

I haven't played it yet, and this info is floating around, so I don't know if it's spoilers, but:
    The main character, Red, has her voice stolen at the intro and is mute. The Transistor provides for all your Logan Cunningham Narration Needs.

Non-Spoiler version: Yes, you get Bastion-like vocal tracks.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, weird issue. When I have the game set to 1080p, it is all blown up and extends way past the edges of my screen. This is a newer laptop that I don't have a ton of experience with, but Diablo 3 had no such issues. Any ideas? I tried screwing with the scaling, but the only way to get the game to fit was to set it to a much smaller resolution and have the GPU scale it up to full screen, which definitely makes it all look less good.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    You get more than Bastion-like vocal tracks; the vocal tracks seem to be part of the game's story itself. They're also really good, and once you get access to a particular area you can unlock the music tracks for use with an in-game audio player.

• Options
    @InkSplat Is 1080p the native res of your monitor? My laptop has a feature where it supports resolutions larger than the display for projector related reason, and it does something that sounds like what you're describing with the picture extending off the edges.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cripes, I'm like... ten minutes into this game and it's giving me the chills.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I will say the four or five people who hated the narration in Bastion should absolutely stay as far away from Transistor as possible.

I loved the narration in Bastion. He wasn't there physically with The Kid, he was relaying his knowledge of the story to a third party. The game you were playing already happened in terms of how it was being told, you were just hearing it as you went along doing the events that were being narrated. It added a lot (to me) to the overall setting and how I experienced it.

Transistor-
    (Everything i'm talking about is from the first hour and a half of the game, and not really spoilery at all, but since it literally just came out i'll put it in tags just to be safe)
    Transistor guy is right there with the main character, talking to her and talking about stuff as she goes along, in real time. That subtle difference from how it was handled in Bastion is enough to put me off slightly. It's like a running commentary by a person who can't stop talking for the benefit of a person who can't talk at all. It's starting to grate on me a little bit. I'm imagining Red screaming at him in her head to just shut up for a few minutes, but of course she can't say anything.

But as I said, first impressions from an hour and a half of play. Nothing definitive, and it's still a pretty darn good game right off the bat.

Regarding the spoiler (involves stuff prior to the second boss):
    Red talks to the Transistor at one point and it's fairly obvious she appreciates his help and doesn't find him a chore to have around at all.

Also when it comes to combat jaunt is my best friend. It's ability to let you dodge outside of combat is less than ideal but the in turn() active is so effecient provided you don't need to turn a corner for movement.

Tempted to drop Help() for putting the stealth active on though. Purely because it'll help get some of the peskier enemies off of me between turns.

• Options
    @InkSplat Is 1080p the native res of your monitor? My laptop has a feature where it supports resolutions larger than the display for projector related reason, and it does something that sounds like what you're describing with the picture extending off the edges.

Native resolution is 1080p, and like I said, it plays D3 at 1080p without a hitch. I tried messing with some settings in my NVIDIA preferences, to override the game scaling, and that didn't seem to do anything.

• Options
    Try this maybe:
    Go into the local files and choose either the x86 or x64 folder (depending on OS)
    Find the exe named transistor and right click and select properties
    Go to compatibility tab and choose disable display scaling on high DPI settings
    Click run as adminstrator
    I assume they mean the exe in steam/steamapps/common/Transistor/xwhateveryourplatformisprolly64/

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Ugh, game not even starting for me. Reinstalling or verifying cache does not help, and starting from the .exe does not help, neither does running steam or the .exe as administrator. Guess I'll just wait and check if it works tomorrow, gotta sleep soon anyway.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    The music in the game has lyrics and singing? Like, not just the title screen but the "running around in game doing stuff" music?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The music in the game has lyrics and singing? Like, not just the title screen but the "running around in game doing stuff" music?

Not all of the tracks do, but yes, there are multiple vocal tracks that play during the course of the game. Primarily only during important bits though.

• Options
    Try this maybe:
    Go into the local files and choose either the x86 or x64 folder (depending on OS)
    Find the exe named transistor and right click and select properties
    Go to compatibility tab and choose disable display scaling on high DPI settings
    Click run as adminstrator
    I assume they mean the exe in steam/steamapps/common/Transistor/xwhateveryourplatformisprolly64/

Hey, it worked! Awesome.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Just beat it, gotta say I honestly liked the story better than Bastion's.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My initial impressions of this game are why the fuck don't we have full-budget, full-scale RPGs done like this game? I can't even remember the last time I saw an RPG-type setting with this much heart, style, and quality.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    My initial impressions of this game are why the fuck don't we have full-budget, full-scale RPGs done like this game? I can't even remember the last time I saw an RPG-type setting with this much heart, style, and quality.

I think its much easier for games to have an identity/heart with a smaller team.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Transistor-

Regarding the spoiler (involves stuff prior to the second boss):
    Red talks to the Transistor at one point and it's fairly obvious she appreciates his help and doesn't find him a chore to have around at all.

Ah, I haven't gotten to that point yet, then.
    So it's just me who wishes he would stop talking, then.

It's like i'm on a trip to some gorgeous place and all I want to do is enjoy everything and some guy i'm not with and don't know at all keeps yammering about everything they see, shaking my shoulder and telling me to look over there isn't that amazing? Yes, it is, I was already looking at it. Shut up and leave me alone, let me enjoy myself.

Rucks was telling the story, Transistor guy is interrupting it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    God-fucking-dammit, muscle memory.
    I keep clicking all these damn spoilers and then have to unclick them before I can read anything.

• Options

I think its much easier for games to have an identity/heart with a smaller team.

No argument there. Just already wishing I could spend more time in this setting.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Does the narrator have the same gravelly voice that he did in Bastion? With the same sort of idea that he's narrating the story and other events as they occur?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Does the narrator have the same gravelly voice that he did in Bastion? With the same sort of idea that he's narrating the story and other events as they occur?

Nope, Logan Cunningham is in the game but there's no Bastion-like narration.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »

Must not be a very long game

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    What to play first when I get home... this or Wolfenstein? Such a hard decision.

• Options
    PoolCue wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »

Must not be a very long game

I just finished it. Steam says four hours for me. Enjoyed the vast majority of it but the ending
    has me completely depressed and out of sorts. In a 'can we warn people when you're going to glorify suicide' kind of way.

Not sure if that counts as a spoiler or not.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Right now... my favorite skill combo:

Purge (Crash+Bounce) - homes in on targets, stuns them and applies a dot, and then goes for another. Can clear so much crap just locking it down spewing this everywhere. Cheerleaders muck it up a bit, but...

Flood (Cull+Anything) is also fun - constant AoE around projectile, and anything hit gets launched up, preventing it from attacking while it's juggled. Add grab and it will drag them with it. But it's not as ridiculous as the previous one.

This game has so many options for shenanigans.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I clocked in at around 3 hours. I honestly play games way to fast though, it's becoming a real problem. Totally going to go back and NG+ it.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

That seems to contradict Aistan's earlier post, but thanks. I didn't like Bastion's narration, but this game looks really nice, and the soundtrack seems just as good if not better than Bastion's. So I have to play it at some point.

• Options
    Crash into Uber Cull does the job in a simple and effective way. One kill every rotation guaranteed unless it's a jerk. It's especially useful as later stages of the game cut down on groups in favour of needing big single target nukes.

• Options

It's not Bastion-like, but Logan Cunningham is absolutely providing a running commentary during the gameplay about what is happening.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Transistor-

Speedwagon confirmed.

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Had a bit of trouble getting it up and running, but now that I've gotten the wrinkles ironed out, I'm enjoying it.

I haven't gotten very far, so the combat is a little basic at the moment, but I can already see that once I get more functions to play with, things are going to get a lot more interesting.

I love the setting as well. Definitely looking forward to finding what's going on.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is anyone else experiencing severe stuttering? Like every 20-30 seconds, the game will just freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. In the first zone it cleared up after a bit, but now I'm in the second zone and it keeps happening. I thought maybe it was just related to it being the first run, so I exited and restarted, but it persists.

My computer has plenty of power, so I'm not sure what's going on.