Options

[WH40k] Thank the Emperor we're back to dick jokes.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Immortal heads, but there should be heads leftover from the immortals/deathmarks sprues. I had two boxes of deathmarks so I had 10 immortal heads, backs and sets of guns. Then I bought a box of warriors and used the front torso and legs from the warriors

I recommend at least 10 deathmarks if you are going to play Necrons anyway. They are a very useful unit.

Sure, it's just a question of the initial buy-in. If I go with two boxes of Deathmarks, it saves me money on bitsbut not enough that I could afford a second box of Warriors.

I was thinking, if I pull the trigger, of getting:

-Necron Overlord
    -Warriors x2
    -Deathmarks/Immortals
    -Tomb Blades

This would give me about 700ish points, which would be enough to do some small skirmish games against my IF.

Yeah I guess it's ultimately about what you want. I wanted 10 death marks and the immortals were an after though once I saw the left over bits. So all I needed to pick up was a box of warriors and the spines.

I honestly never really got the tomb blades to work for me either. I definitely prefer wraiths as my fast attack option; I found tomb blades to be a tad squishy.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @El Mucho did you use the left arms that came with the Warriors or the Immortal kits? Just trying to price the bits out.

• Options
    Pretty sure, I used warrior arms. I think the left arms are used up making deathmarks. I can double check when I get home and look at my bag o' bits.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looking at the sprues online it looks like each kit comes with 10 left arms. Could be wrong though.

• Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    If I played Necrons I would field:

'Anakin' the Traveler
    Scarabs
    Scarabs
    Scarabs
    Doom Scythe
    Doom Scythe
    Doom Scythe
    Immortals
    Immortals
    Immortals
    Immortals
    Immortals
    Immortals

Yes, I like spam.

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Looking at the sprues online it looks like each kit comes with 10 left arms. Could be wrong though.

That very well may be the case, sorry, I can't fully remember it was about a year ago I built those guys.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I am certain you are correct. I think there were left arms for both the immortals and the deathmarks.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    So they weren't joking when they said the new codex wasn't anything like you've faced before - think almost every single weapon and unit has changed in some way.

Kroot get the option to have a "heavy 1, sniper" mode on their guns for 1pt!
    Burst cannons and pulse carbines get an extra shot, railrifles are rapid fire, fusion and neutron blasters go up to 18" range
    Drones are toughness 4
    Firewarrrior teams can buy missile pod drones
    Sniper drones now have a 48" pulse rifle with sniper
    Railrifles are rapid fire...

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So nice you had to say it twice. I think I'm going to have a reason to have all 60 of my kroot on the table at once again, and my krootox might be used for more than Ogryn stand ins.

How's the missile bastard suit looking, because I'm really keen on buying a couple of them, but want to hear how their rules work first.

• Options

That very well may be the case, sorry, I can't fully remember it was about a year ago I built those guys.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I am certain you are correct. I think there were left arms for both the immortals and the deathmarks.

No huge added cost.

So, for about $130 (bits and discounted models) I could grab two Immortal Kits, 2 boxes of Warriors, an Overlord, and all the requisite bits.

What am I looking at points cost wise?

-Overlord
    -Immortals x 10
    -Immortals x 10
    -Deathmarks x10
    -Scarabs x 6

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular

No huge added cost.

So, for about $130 (bits and discounted models) I could grab two Immortal Kits, 2 boxes of Warriors, an Overlord, and all the requisite bits.

-Overlord
    -Immortals x 10
    -Immortals x 10
    -Deathmarks x10
    -Scarabs x 6

Overlord - 90 points base, easily can get up to ~140 with upgrades
    20 Immortals = (17*20) = 340
    Deathmarks = (19*10) = 190
    Scarabs = (15*6) = 90

So depending on how crazy you go with your Overlord, you can get 700-750 points right there.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Tau rules translated wholesale from the Spanish leak rumours:
    Bonding is 1pt/model for pretty much everyone
    Any unit that can have drones can just take them as an upgrade; no more drone controller tax
    All ion weapons can be overcharged; gain +1 Str and exchange normal shots for Heavy 1 Blast (or large blast for cannon variants) and Gets Hot!
    Seeker missiles are 8pts each
    Basically everything even vaguely Tau (ie not kroot) has the Fire Support rule, even things with no guns, or gun option.
    Markerlights get three options: +1 BS per counter, fire 1seeker missile per counter, or grant Ignores Cover for two counters. You only get one choice per firing unit.

9pt fire warriors include photon grenades, EMP are 2pts/model
    Assault 2 carbines with pinning are free exchanges for rifles
    Profiles unchanged

Devilfish basically unchanged, SMS upgrade cheaper (10pts)

6pt kroot with 25pt krootox and they don't lose infiltrate if they take the ox, apparently.
    Nor do they pay for armour anymore, but they can upgrade to sniper ammo for 1pt/model.

Sniper drone teams are 1-3 controllers plus 3-9 drones in basically any configuration
    Drones lose rail rifle, get sniper variant pulse rifle (still Rapid Fire(!), 48" range)
    Single team (1+4) is 58 points

Hammerhead is 125pts base, includes heavy railgun
    Submunitions are 5pts, ion cannon is free, as are drone/gun exchanges

Skyray … the skyray has no point cost listed in the leaked pictures. (lolGW?)

Riptide (Cataclysm Suit in Spanish. Why can't we have cool names?) is 180 base
    S/T6, W5, BS…3 :(
    Has built in SMS, can exchange for TL plasma or fusion for free
    Can take two systems at cost, upgrade big burst cannon to big ion cannon for 5pts
    Drones are 25pts ea., are T6 with missile pod and shield generator.

Edit:
    Both flyers are 11/10/10 with three HP and the two seeker missiles built in.
    Bomber is 160, has the drones included and can TL it's missile pod for 5pts
    Fighter(?) is 145 and can take options.
    The bomber clearly only exists to deploy the drone interceptors, but they are so worth it.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So nice you had to say it twice. I think I'm going to have a reason to have all 60 of my kroot on the table at once again, and my krootox might be used for more than Ogryn stand ins.

How's the missile bastard suit looking, because I'm really keen on buying a couple of them, but want to hear how their rules work first.

Kroot are now S3 though, but look like they can still infiltrate with their krootox.

Missile bastard is 4 36" S7 shots AP4 (high explosive missiles are just two missile pods) with then twin linked SMS (30" S5 AP5 ignore cover & LOS, 4 shots) for 65 points, and a smart missile (S8 AP3 as now) for 8 extra.
    Can also add two drones with more missile pods if you need more S7 shots.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Farangu wrote: »

No huge added cost.

-Overlord
    -Immortals x 10
    -Immortals x 10
    -Deathmarks x10
    -Scarabs x 6

Overlord - 90 points base, easily can get up to ~140 with upgrades
    20 Immortals = (17*20) = 340
    Deathmarks = (19*10) = 190
    Scarabs = (15*6) = 90

So depending on how crazy you go with your Overlord, you can get 700-750 points right there.

You'll want a res orb for your overlord, it makes him and his unit very strong objective holders. I usually give him sempternal weave (2+ sv), and mind shackle scarabs. mind shackle scarabs are very effective anti charge for your Olord and his unit. You could also give him a warscythe which gives him Str 7 ap 1 CC attacks. All combined thats an additional 80 pts of gear

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Can also add two drones with more missile pods if you need more S7 shots.
    Yes, YES! When somebody asks how many missiles does that thing have, I need to say 'ALL OF THEM!'

• Options
    Comparing the profiles of the riptide main weapons, I'm not sure why you'd ever take the Heavy Pulse Canon over the Ion Accelerator Cannon?

Eight shots at S6/AP4 vs three at S7/AP2 seems like an OK compromise, but the overcharged accelerator cannon is S8 Large Blast and doesn't use the Nova Reactor to get there.
    Plus you can Nova Charge the Accelerator Cannon to get it to S9 Ordnance if you're desperate.
    Whereas the Nova Charge on the Pulse Cannon grants an extra four shots and rending, which is nice I guess? But your still relying on BS3 to get that all down range.
    Add in that the difference between the two is 5pts…

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Flyers are a bit backwards - the ion turret (4 shots S7 AP4) is BS3, but the two drones are slightly better with twin-linked BS2 rapid fire (S7 AP4) and have interceptor, before we even get onto the twin linked missile pod the bomber has. Fighter can upgrade this to a S8 large blast, whilst Drones would have two small ones - bomber definitely has the edge in range, but is that all that important on a flyer?

The bomber's ability to actually function as a bomber is going to depend if it can generate and launch multiple bombs a turn.

Stealthsuits as Mimic teams, and Apocalpyse and Cataclysm suits instead of Broadsides and Riptides is all well and good - but you've also got an army that has "Muy Corpulento" on most of the cooler units.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Oh yes, something else about the heavy pulse cannon: in addition to the 1-in-3 chance of losing a wound to the Nova Reactor to charge the thing in the first place, the Nova Charge profile is Heavy 12 Rending Gets Hot!

Anyone want to play "spot the fatal flaw?"

• Options
    Tau have actually sold out in Europe, if you didn't get your order in today by 4PM you're on the waiting list.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Oh yes, something else about the heavy pulse cannon: in addition to the 1-in-3 chance of losing a wound to the Nova Reactor to charge the thing in the first place, the Nova Charge profile is Heavy 12 Rending Gets Hot!

That's no flaw, its a perfectly valid mechanism to weed out the weaklings who role 1's.

Edit: can anyone say if cover saves can be taken against markerlights themselves? I have a buddy who thought it was bogus that markerlights weren't effected by cover, and has been waiting ages for a FAQ or new codex to change that. I'm hoping they haven't so I can buy all his stuff when he rage quits.

saluksic on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Um, is it just me, or is 4 new codeci in less than a year good for GW? We've had Chaos Marines, Chaos Demons, Tau and Dark Angels since the new system came out, and I don't know if we had that many in the two years previous to that. (May be an exageration for effect.)

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    That really is a lot. It's pretty cool to see all this stuff coming out.

What codexes does that leave unupdated? Eldar, Black Templar, Orks and Space Marines? I still think of those last two as fairly new, but I could see them getting attention.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Um, is it just me, or is 4 new codeci in less than a year good for GW? We've had Chaos Marines, Chaos Demons, Tau and Dark Angels since the new system came out, and I don't know if we had that many in the two years previous to that. (May be an exageration for effect.)

GW did say they were taking a new approach to releasing codices in 6th. Maybe by that they meant they might actually update everything.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Well Chaos demons doubles up as both a Fantasy and 40k release doesn't it? Plus the starter set got released this year, which obviously accounts for the Dark Angels (old needed an update codex) and Chaos Marines (needed a tidy up really) coming out in quick succession.

It's not like the entire range has been done for each army either (not that I'm complaining), whereas before you tended to see a big revamp. Plus, whenever you see a Marine codex released, it is sort of "easy" because there tends to be a common ground between all marine armies.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote: »

What codexes does that leave unupdated? Eldar, Black Templar, Orks and Space Marines? I still think of those last two as fairly new, but I could see them getting attention.

Orks, Eldar, and Black Templar are all 4th edition. Space Marines is the oldest 5th edition codex.

• Options
    And I guess Sisters is still pretty far out in the cold. I'd actually like to see a new Sisters codex, but that probably won't happen.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really wish that the rumored Allies supplement was true.

I'd actually like to see two, one for Imperium and one for Xenos. Have 3-4 armies in each book that can only be taken as allies (or, at least only recommended as allies since they would only have 1-2 options for each FOC slot)

• Options
    That would be fun. Kroot, demurig, SoB, mechanicus.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That would be fun. Kroot, demurig, SoB, mechanicus.

Genestealer Cults.

• Options

That's no flaw, its a perfectly valid mechanism to weed out the weaklings who role 1's.

Edit: can anyone say if cover saves can be taken against markerlights themselves? I have a buddy who thought it was bogus that markerlights weren't effected by cover, and has been waiting ages for a FAQ or new codex to change that. I'm hoping they haven't so I can buy all his stuff when he rage quits.

Specifically says no saves allowed now.
    Caveat: you can only use one of the three options per shooting unit. So with five marker hits you can add up to +5 BS, OR ignore cover, OR fire 5 seeker missiles, but NOT add +3 BS and ignore cover, say.
    The next unit can use any remaining marker hits to choose another option of course.

Bonus: drone snipers get to pretend to be BS5 AND the sniper controller has a BS5 networked markerlight.
    Two controllers +9 drones = 151 pts and gives 18 BS 5 sniper shots that most likely ignore cover at 24" range.

• Options
    That sounds pretty cool, excepting the range 24".

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Nono, that's half range for rapid fire i.e. the range where nine guns turn into eighteen shots. The long-barrelled pulse rifle's max. range is 48”

Edit: a note on markerlights; there doesn't seem to be an upper limit on BS buffs anymore, or if there is its not in the summary. If this is so, markerlights just got another sneaky trick – the BS6 gets hot! gun. That is, take a weapon with the gets hot rule that isn't already twin linked and give it re-rolls for when it rolls a 1 to hit. Even if the re-roll misses (needs sixes) you still reduce your chances of taking a wound from 1/6 to 1/36. Goes great with nova charged mega burst cannon.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Hmmm. . . I actually think it's more cost effective to buy the Warrior bits I need rather than the whole kits. Could do 30 immortals and 10 death marks for the same price

• Options
    Nono, that's half range for rapid fire i.e. the range where nine guns turn into eighteen shots. The long-barrelled pulse rifle's max. range is 48”

Edit: a note on markerlights; there doesn't seem to be an upper limit on BS buffs anymore, or if there is its not in the summary. If this is so, markerlights just got another sneaky trick – the BS6 gets hot! gun. That is, take a weapon with the gets hot rule that isn't already twin linked and give it re-rolls for when it rolls a 1 to hit. Even if the re-roll misses (needs sixes) you still reduce your chances of taking a wound from 1/6 to 1/36. Goes great with nova charged mega burst cannon.

Ah, there it is. I like the gets hot! work around, that's pretty nifty.

Are the sniper pulse rifles regular sniper rules (strength X)? I always enjoyed straight up strength 6 ap 3, but they did just get a whole lot cheaper, so I won't complain.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Reeeally not looking forward to playing against Tau.

• Options

Ah, there it is. I like the gets hot! work around, that's pretty nifty.

Are the sniper pulse rifles regular sniper rules (strength X)? I always enjoyed straight up strength 6 ap 3, but they did just get a whole lot cheaper, so I won't complain.

Sniper drones get a new weapon, the long-barrelled pulse rifle, which is a 48" range rapid fire sniper weapon.
    Pathfinder teams still have access to rail rifles which are 30" range S6 AP1 rapid fire now.
    They can also have Ion Rifles which are 30" S7 AP4 rapid fire weapons with a second profile; S8 AP4 heavy 1 blast, gets hot!

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    What sort of weapons can firewarriors field now with their support drones? That was always their big drawback wasnt it? No special weapons?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Orks, Eldar, and Black Templar are all 4th edition. Space Marines is the oldest 5th edition codex.

We'll likely see Eldar before the year is out.

• Options
    Don't know the full listing of drone types available, but they include the regular gun drones, missile pod drones, marker drones, recon drones*, gravity disrupter drones**, pulse accelerator drones^… basically a whole lotta drones.
    Pretty sure that fire warriors can take at least the gun, missile, marker, accelerator, and grav drones but not certain.

* modifies reserves and outflanks, has a burst cannon, is big
    ** reduces enemy charge distances
    ^ adds range to pulse weapons

• Options
    Reeeally looking forward to playing as Tau!

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    What I read was that Fire Warriors had access to Gun, Marker, Shield and Missile drones, with the more exotic variants available to Pathfinders.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
This discussion has been closed.