Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Turbo Frog Still Not A Deck

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Planeswalker points?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Planeswalker points?

Pro points are separate. You can only earn pro points from finishes at GPs, PTs, the World Magic Cup, and the Player's Championship. Earning enough will get you into the Pro Player's Club, which gives you byes at GPs, PT invites, and other benefits based on the rank you reach.

Planeswalker points are earned at any sanctioned event, and other than giving regional PT invites to the top scorers they're almost entirely like XBox Gamerscore.

• Options
    Thanks for all your patient answers! Getting into Magic via MTGO has been hugely exciting for me. I'm having a blast.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Anyone else just watch SCG Live where UW Control just got curbstomped by a RUG Devotion list? Seriously though, minus Garruk into Ruric Thar after Syncopating his opponent's 2 Sphinx's Revelations was just gross.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    It was so satisfying.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Anyone else just watch SCG Live where UW Control just got curbstomped by a RUG Devotion list? Seriously though, minus Garruk into Ruric Thar after Syncopating his opponent's 2 Sphinx's Revelations was just gross.

I caught game one, in which at least three Sylvan Primordials had a grand ol' time playing Rampage on some Hallowed Fountains.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    Pro Tours are invite-only. You can qualify by either winning a pro tour qualifier, reaching top x in a grand prix or have top x highest planeswalker points in your region of the season (or be in the hall of fame).

Making it to the top 25 of the previous Pro Tour also qualifies you.

As does making silver pro status or better, IIRC. Although I think the silver-level invite is limited.

• Options
    I'm surprised AEtherling is so reasonably priced at $1.62 on MTGOTraders. I might able to even pick up a pair soon. Doesn't quite fit in my current two decks, but it's much more reasonable for me than Elpseth at 10 bucks per card.

Gonna keep refining my Heroic deck for now and figure out what I want to build next

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing to see Pack Rat go from "auto-win draft pick" to finally finding a home in Standard, where turn 2 pack rat can still just win games.

I didn't realize it at first, but Pack Rat playing into Devotion is pretty gross.

Your not kidding.

One of the things I'm learning watching the Competitive stuff is just how unafraid they are to lose some life. Being so willing to pay life with Underworld Connections dropping you from 7 to 6 when your opponent is at 20 is hard for me to fathom, yet the guy who did that WON!

Greatness, at any cost.

Overall, games are decided on the basis of what player has more control of the board and can generate more card advantage. Usually the player that draws AND plays the most cards wins. Control focuses on the draw part, aggro on the play part, etc. Also, trading life for stuff is Black's thing, and Mono-B has Whip and Grey Merchant to get out of burn range, so it works.

• Options
    I'm surprised AEtherling is so reasonably priced at $1.62 on MTGOTraders. I might able to even pick up a pair soon. Doesn't quite fit in my current two decks, but it's much more reasonable for me than Elpseth at 10 bucks per card.

Gonna keep refining my Heroic deck for now and figure out what I want to build next

Aetherling is only a one or two-of in one archetype, and it's not mythic. No reason to be pricey.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing to see Pack Rat go from "auto-win draft pick" to finally finding a home in Standard, where turn 2 pack rat can still just win games.

I didn't realize it at first, but Pack Rat playing into Devotion is pretty gross.

Your not kidding.

One of the things I'm learning watching the Competitive stuff is just how unafraid they are to lose some life. Being so willing to pay life with Underworld Connections dropping you from 7 to 6 when your opponent is at 20 is hard for me to fathom, yet the guy who did that WON!

Greatness, at any cost.

Overall, games are decided on the basis of what player has more control of the board and can generate more card advantage. Usually the player that draws AND plays the most cards wins. Control focuses on the draw part, aggro on the play part, etc. Also, trading life for stuff is Black's thing, and Mono-B has Whip and Grey Merchant to get out of burn range, so it works.

Also: you can lose every life point except the last one and still win (and some cards even let you skirt that rule). It's as much a resource as anything else. Is it risky? Hells yeah. But if it's what you have to do to win, then not doing it is even riskier.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Guess that makes sense.

I think my next attempt at deck building will involve Green or Black. I haven't really toyed with those colors yet (I have my R/U Spellheart deck and my in-progress U/W Heroic Tactics deck), and my goal is to try all colors in a budget form, so I can figure out what colors I enjoy and want to devout more resources to.

Edit: the makes sense comment was directed to @admanb but applies equally to @Vyolynce

APODionysus on
  • Options
    Some thoughts:

I wonder if theres a R/W heroic deck to be built that includes Nivmagus Elemental and.. Flames of the Firebrand. Flames can trigger THREE Heros, then you have Nivvy eat it before the damage goes through. Heck, even without the Nivmagus it could be a value play - at the very least after combat.

So Ive been watching the competitive Magic, and I've noticed something. Most of the players are nearly constantly shuffling their hand. Is that a merely a nervous tick? The spiritual kin of a batter checking his gloves or tapping the bat before settling in in baseball? Or is it intended to throw off your opponent in some way?

• Options
    Some thoughts:

I wonder if theres a R/W heroic deck to be built that includes Nivmagus Elemental and.. Flames of the Firebrand. Flames can trigger THREE Heros, then you have Nivvy eat it before the damage goes through. Heck, even without the Nivmagus it could be a value play - at the very least after combat.

So Ive been watching the competitive Magic, and I've noticed something. Most of the players are nearly constantly shuffling their hand. Is that a merely a nervous tick? The spiritual kin of a batter checking his gloves or tapping the bat before settling in in baseball? Or is it intended to throw off your opponent in some way?

You want to shuffle your hand whenever you draw to conceal whether you're playing a card you just drew or a card that had been in your hand. Otherwise, it's mostly a tic.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Your not kidding.

Depends on the board state.

1): If you're dead next turn anyway (he can swing in for more than your life total regardless of how you block) then losing another life doesn't matter, and it could let you find an answer
    2): If you're not dead next turn (and cannot feasibly be dead next turn based on what plays you expect he has available,) then paying the life doesn't matter. Life total is just another resource. If you're at 18 and your opponent is at 5, you are not necessarily "in the lead." This can be difficult to learn but doing so will make you a much better player.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Cube: the only draft format in which I can say to myself "Okay, guess I'm cutting Inferno Titan from my red deck."

ap8k08.png

Let's see how this goes

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    I'd probably try to fit Ghitu Encampment in there somewhere, speaking from the perspective of someone who likes to build durdly decks that can handle traditional creatures but not land-creatures.

• Options
    Watching Pro Tour Theros Semifinals.

Some guy named Rashad Miller is interviewing a winner.

Who let him wear that outfit? That hat is ridiculous.

Is he Magic's answer to Craig Sager (baseball sideline reporter known for insane suits)?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'd probably try to fit Ghitu Encampment in there somewhere, speaking from the perspective of someone who likes to build durdly decks that can handle traditional creatures but not land-creatures.

I sided it in after game 1. I also cut Mizzium Mortars from the main deck in favor of Thragtusk, but I'm not sure that's right.

2-0'ed round 1 in brutal fashion. It turns out Firedrinker Satyr into Mox Sapphire + Molten Rain is tough for UWR control to beat.

• Options
    Is he Magic's answer to Craig Sager (baseball sideline reporter known for insane suits)?

More or less.

He's certainly not Magic's answer to the question of "where do we find competent coverage reporters?"

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

More or less.

He's certainly not Magic's answer to the question of "where do we find competent coverage reporters?"

Anyone who's good enough to do quality coverage and personable to be entertaining is probably playing in the tournament already. LSV hates doing coverage, despite being better than all the regular commentators.

• Options
    You don't have to take my snark so seriously, geeeeeeeez.

But you know, as much as there's some truth to what you are saying, it's not like Patrick Sullivan and Cedric Phillips are figments of my imagination. And LSV clearly enjoys doing coverage, he would just rather be playing Magic.

• Options
    Victory! Despite being Channel-Ulamog'ed turn 2 in game 1 of the finals.

Not sure how draft Urza block. Halp?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Wizards really should see if they can't incorporate SCG's operation for tournament coverage and running. But at this point, SCG's developed such an extensive parallel tournament structure that I don't even know if they'd want (or need) to.

Meanwhile (standard finals spoiler)
    Pack Rat wins again! My favourite reaction:

"Congrats to @OwenTweetenwald, though in fairness he got pretty lucky topdecking like six rats in a row."

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Draft red/green. You will want Arc Lightning, Simian Grunts and Rancor. Works every time.

Edit: or sell them for 8 tix for another round of cube.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Also check the list of high-priced Urza cards. Snap up all those Show & Tells and Gaea's Cradles.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Also, mother of runes is worth a few tix. Picked up a few goblin lackeys myself.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    And Sneak Attack.

Characters
  • Options
    This BUG vs ANT match is hilarious.

"Wasteland myself to shut off your Carpet of Flower, go"

Characters
  • Options
    Hahaha

BUG player had earlier thoughtsized ANT's Tendrils to the graveyard. Now he just untaps, exiles Tendrils and the ANT player straight concedes as that was his only win condition (he wasn't playing a second copy nor did he have Burning Wish).

Characters
  • Options
    Griswold wrote: »
    Victory! Despite being Channel-Ulamog'ed turn 2 in game 1 of the finals.

Not sure how draft Urza block. Halp?

I haven't had the pleasure, but Pestilence is a common in Saga so I'd probably try black.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Don't look now: Squee, Goblin Nabob is in a Top 8 in Legacy on stream.

It just got lightning bolt'd xD

Edit: The deck has Tabernacle at Pendral Vale in it. Okay, it's my favourite now.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    And it just beat Ad Nasuem Tendrils (how the fuck did he manage this?) to get to the finals. This is going to be great.

Characters
  • Options
    Annnnnnd the UWR player forgets his Tabernacle trigger with a germ token on the board. Oops!

Characters
  • Options
    Is there a link for all this?

• Options
    Is there a link for all this?

twitch.tv/scglive

Characters
  • Options
    Brainstorm to hit the 3rd Wasteland to hit the 2nd Maze of Ith was brutal

Characters
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    229fjk2sdalkfeatwk01_en_card_wastenot.jpg

From Daily MTG today. New card frames!

The Betgirl on
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Does he seriously just have a single answer to Rest in Peace?

Regardless, deck is crazy.

I mean, Nether Spirit that is.

• Options
    Does he seriously just have a single answer to Rest in Peace?

Regardless, deck is crazy.

I mean, Nether Spirit that is.

SQUEE

Characters
This discussion has been closed.