Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening is a Critical Hit!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »
    I wonder if there's going to be another My Unit/Avatar

Also, if there'll be marriages and children again.

I liked the feature (most people did I think), but I don't want it shoehorned into every FE game from now on.

I'm fine with marriages, but I'm not terribly keen on having children again.

Of course, I hope this because I not-so-secretly want some same-sex S ranking in my Fire Emblems. Ike and Soren, Lissa and Maribelle, Heather - Intelligent Systems have been hinting for a quite some time now and I'd really like it to actually happen in a way that's not subtext, but just text.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Children wouldn't make sense unless they're going to do a time travel story again.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah. Marriages can stay.

As for kids, they were great, both on and off the field, but I don't feel like they need to be a mainstay.

That said if this one is called If as in "What If" I could see us dealing with alternate timelines again.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Are the tiny feet a New 3DS exclusive feature due to the extra horsepower?

I don't think so.

I remember an interview some time ago where they said the reason the characters didn't have feet was because they underestimated how much processing power the 3DS had and designed the game around those expectations.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Because feet take so much processing power?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It adds extra joints, which means additional animations.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Intelligent Systems started out under the impression that the hardware would not be able to handle the extra animation, polygons, etc.

They were too far along in the development process to add them in once they better understood the specs they had available.

So the new game will have 200% more feet.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Rad. If it has kids I hope they go the Lucina/Morgan route of making them story-locked/easy to recruit.

Possible weapon triangle shake-up, there's a frame where swords apparently beat bows.

Dual system is back! I kind of hope pair up isn't though, shit was broken.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

It adds extra joints, which means additional animations.

I'm busy making fun of them, stop it with your logic

Steam profile
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Can't wait! Awakening was so good.

Now I almost want to scratch that itch again...

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Children wouldn't make sense unless they're going to do a time travel story again.
    Growth hormones

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    this is technically too early to be a birthday present but fffffffffffwhatever I'm claiming it anyways

that giant monster design in the cinematic part of the trailer makes me think dark souls for some reason

the way the trailer obscures the silver-haired dude's face makes me think "player-customizable main character" again, too

I'm ok with that being a trend within the series

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Have you played Fire Emblem IV?

butts
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what, they have feet now???
    preorder cancelled.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Amiibos will let you use those characters in Codename STEAM

Gonna have to buy them all, now

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So the guy writing the story did the GetBackers anime.

I remember watching that back when I was younger. It was entertaining enough.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Amiibos will let you use those characters in Codename STEAM

Gonna have to buy them all, now

And they're producing Marth again because of it. Neat.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Growth hormones

Time Skip. Play a 20 hour game, roll credits, fade to a black screen that says "25 Years Later..." and BAM! Another 20 hour game with you controlling the kids of people you married off in the first half of the game.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind that as long as my previous team doesn't all die horribly or something.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind that as long as my previous team doesn't all die horribly or something.

They already did that once. And what are the odds of Fire Emblem recycling plot points?

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

They already did that once. And what are the odds of Fire Emblem recycling plot points?

>_>

<_<

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Growth hormones

Time Skip. Play a 20 hour game, roll credits, fade to a black screen that says "25 Years Later..." and BAM! Another 20 hour game with you controlling the kids of people you married off in the first half of the game.

Would't be the first multi-generational game.

Romancing SaGa 2.
    SaGa Frontier II. (Finishes with the grandkids.)
    Even Dragon Quest V, kinda.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, looking at the little data out there, looks like they're claiming more branching in this one. Thus the If title.

Sounds interesting.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So, looking at the little data out there, looks like they're claiming more branching in this one. Thus the If title.

Sounds interesting.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into English words used by a Japanese company to name their game.

Something interesting from the link I posted:

0dsWtcJ.png

The weapon that character is using is a bronze metal rod. I wonder how that interacts with the weapon triangle. Maybe it's a neutral weapon that doesn't have any advantages or disadvantages?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Sounds interesting.

From what translations we have, I get the feeling the player character ends up allying with one or the other of the two guys we see at the end of the trailer. Both are clearly major characters but neither gets a lot of screentime or appears to be like, the main character

so... either a vaguely eastern or a vaguely western group?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I just hope they keep the My Unit and customization options that Awakening allowed. Being able to reclass was so nice, but I'll happily accept the more limited Sacred Stones system of upclassing too.

I would also like them to go back to the General style from the GBA games and still let the MU become one. Because everyone knows that Generals are the best.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    One "what if" I wouldn't mind seeing.

What if, for a change, the allied nation is the wyvern nation and not the pegasus nation. Or at the very least, you get a wyvern early. Radiant Dawn doesn't count because...it doesn't really count, if memory serves. Defectors and what not.

butts
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Let's hope the scantily clad dragon tween is at least 10k years old this time, wouldn't want to be creepy.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    alright I'm still feeling pretty hyped so I'm gonna do some speculation/analysis

'Kamui' is the player character, and is customizable like the tactician from Awakening was. There's a first-person scene of someone telling them to wake up, and they've got a unique-looking sprite that looks kind of sword-master-y but still seems different from the myrmidon we see in the battle segments.

We do see (so far) more of them, physically, than the tactician in cutscenes- they're probably the silver-haired figure in the painting judging from that goofy long samurai coat, as well as the ghostly figure reaching for the dancer girl, but their face is still obscured. Which points to some level of player customization.

Their map sprite also appears to change faces between shots. The first in-game battle sequence has them with pretty long hair, while the second one has short-haired and with an eyepatch(? I think).

side note: Kamui are, iirc, the name for Ainu spirits/deities

which is an interesting choice considering the culture clash vibe the trailer has

and speaking of that:

while the opening shots have an east v. west feel with a clear bad guy (knights with skeleton helmets ha) we also see knights with different designs/army colors in later moments, specifically the shot that becomes the painting. There you've got knights with open helmets and a blue/yellow color scheme. The footsoldiers there also look almost identical to the generic footsoldiers from Ylisse/Plegia in awakening, which is interesting.

The 'Max' guy also appears to be a recruitable/usable character, which is a big part of why I think he and the guy in red at the end of the trailer might fill a secondary protagonist role. They're both clearly important, but neither is presented as the player character or an antagonist, which makes it surprising the trailer ends with that. Maybe you pick one of them to join forces with?

extra neat stuff that might just be trailer magic: the cuts to battle segments appear to actually reflect where those two units are on the map, more or less? The shot with the myrmidon attacking the archer takes place where she actually is in the building which is pretty cool

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    I hope Soldiers / Halberdiers are back as a playable class this time.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Let's get ready to shipping.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    New pegasus knight owns.

vHkkx8z.png

Normally I'd think there's a 90% chance she'll get a name change so it's pretty pointless to actually call her Hinoka. But maybe she will be a special samurai pegasus knight from samurai town??? (hopefully not)

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Odds are they'll keep the 'casual' setting in this new game for horribads* like me?

*Also known as people who can't deal with starting the whole damn map over because of one tiny mistake.

• Options
    They probably will, yeah. As long as it's an option and not mandatory, there's no harm in keeping it.

• Options
    I mean, it bothers some people. But those people are silly.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Frosteey wrote: »
    New pegasus knight owns.

vHkkx8z.png

Normally I'd think there's a 90% chance she'll get a name change so it's pretty pointless to actually call her Hinoka. But maybe she will be a special samurai pegasus knight from samurai town??? (hopefully not)

I don't think we've ever had a pegasus knight that looked that badass before. At least not in the English Fire Emblems.

• Options
    Frosteey wrote: »
    New pegasus knight owns.

vHkkx8z.png

I don't think we've ever had a pegasus knight that looked that badass before. At least not in the English Fire Emblems.

It's the sideburns. She looks like she should be piloting a giant robot.

I can't think of another pegasus knight who passes "Professional" to get that deep into "I am going to kick your ass", but if she lives up to that, I think I've got my first locked party slot.

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    After playing PoR and RD, then coming back to Awakening, I really hope that Shove and Canto make a return in future games

Though on the flip side, I did end up losing a character in PoR when I found out that rescuing, unlike pairing up, gives you pretty big speed penalties

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Growth hormones

Would't be the first multi-generational game.

Romancing SaGa 2.
    SaGa Frontier II. (Finishes with the grandkids.)
    Even Dragon Quest V, kinda.

How dare you not immediately use Phantasy Star III as the best example.

I would assume marriage/kids are 100% in, and probably even more of a focus, since that was what made it actually popular. If it's really a 'what if?' thing, I'd expect something like multiple versions of the main characters and/or their kids. Like you have Lord and Lady Knight, they get together and have a Lord/Knight Kid A. They go to alternate world and meet Kid A-2, who is a Lord/Pegasus Knight or Lord/Warrior because the mom changed classes. Or maybe even a Mage or something, because in that world the Lord married the Mage, who he happens to have the lowest social link rank with out of all his options. You could also just do the same without kids, like a world where the Knight is an evilish Mage and you get both on your team.

uyvfOQy.png