Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9FnSvEQxE

One additional playable character!

Dear god, please let it be Cranky.

K. Rool. I'm calling it now.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    That'd be fantastic.

He's pretty fucking huge though compared to the Kongs, isn't he? Not sure if that'll be compatible with some platforming sequences.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    That'd be fantastic.

He's pretty fucking huge though compared to the Kongs, isn't he? Not sure if that'll be compatible with some platforming sequences.

Maybe it'll be like Bowser's Inside Story and part of the game takes place inside K. Rool.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    That'd be fantastic.

Maybe it'll be like Bowser's Inside Story and part of the game takes place inside K. Rool.

He's not THAT huge :P

Although, they did mention that you travel between five different islands in this game. How do you travel from island to island? By ship. And who's got ships? Well..

• Options
    That'd be fantastic.

He's not THAT huge :P

Although, they did mention that you travel between five different islands in this game. How do you travel from island to island? By ship. And who's got ships? Well..

Yeah, Funky seems like a pretty obvious choice. I'd also like to see Candy Kong return in some way.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mvg19c.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I hope the Wii U version of DKCR has the 3 arranged mode from the 3ds version. My old man 2d skills ain't what they used to be and the extra heart is appreciated. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Rpv0F2e.png

Go home skeldare, you're drunk!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Rpv0F2e.png

Go home skeldare, you're drunk!

That image is blocked at work, so that's my excuse :P

But still, it's awesome news and more people need to be talking about it.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's probably gonna be him.
    Everybody hates kiddy.

Its gonna be one of the.vikings

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DaDroodDaDrood Registered User regular
    OK.. Let's have a civilized discussion about 4-3 bombs away.....Sorry I can't.. What were they thinking? 50 balloons later and I finally reach the end.If anyone knows the designer of that level can he/she please slap him.Just a little bit.Thanks.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9FnSvEQxE

One additional playable character!

Dear god, please let it be Cranky.

K. Rool. I'm calling it now.

It's that baby/junior one. OBVIOUSLY.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    DaDrood wrote: »
    OK.. Let's have a civilized discussion about 4-3 bombs away.....Sorry I can't.. What were they thinking? 50 balloons later and I finally reach the end.If anyone knows the designer of that level can he/she please slap him.Just a little bit.Thanks.

My God that level was friggin' annoying. For me, it was the "O" letter that cost me so many balloons. I've also noticed that once I get some memorization down and die, my frustration causes me to make stupid mistakes losing more lives, which frustrates me more.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Obviously, the 4th character is going to be

swanky_kong_01.png

Swanky motherfuckin' Kong

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Muncher Marathon, as creepy as it is, really isn't all that bad. Until you got for puzzle pieces and KONG letters. Then it's a nightmare. I don't know how many lives I burned on it last night since there's an easy balloon right near the start. Never did get all the letters. The N in particular feels impossible. I just can't get the platforms to time right before the spiders gets me.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Swanky is the most obvious DK reskin when you see his model up close. That sorta blew my mind

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    DaDrood wrote: »

The only stage I really had trouble with was 6-4, "Boulder Roller". So many precisely timed jumps.

Though I've still got a few "K" stages to go so I'll get back to you on that.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I hope the Wii U version of DKCR has the 3 arranged mode from the 3ds version. My old man 2d skills ain't what they used to be and the extra heart is appreciated. :D
    The trailers had two hearts but the demos had three hearts, so yeah, it's in.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    BTW: 3 Hearts each
    Pretty sure it'll have the two difficulties like the 3DS remake had.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Swanky is the most obvious DK reskin when you see his model up close. That sorta blew my mind

Apparently, not quite enough bling.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    5-K

ahem

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER

That level is a hell of a bitch. I lost count after 75 lives BUT FUCK YOU I BEAT IT. With all the puzzle pieces so I never have to play that shit again!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    5-K

ahem

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER

That level is a hell of a bitch. I lost count after 75 lives BUT FUCK YOU I BEAT IT. With all the puzzle pieces so I never have to play that shit again!

Jesus Christ! THIS FUCKING LEVEL! ARRRGGHHH!!!

Edit: It's all about the fucking timing to rebound off enemies. Even getting into the first barrel off the three beginning enemies is a bitch.

Edit2: GOT IT! 50+ fucking lives. "You've been playing for a while. You should take a break." I wholeheartedly agree.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Only problem I had with 5-K was timing the barrel blasts towards the end, where they are moving up and down at LUDICROUS SPEED.

6-K however, can eat a dick. That rising lava + flaming buzzer tikis + invincible electric bees. First time in the whole game I had to bust out the Banana Juice.

Just got World 9 unlocked. Not sure how much I want to play it after going through all those brutal ass K stages. There's a point where it's so frustratingly difficult that all the fun is sucked out of it. Not crazy about going through more of that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    World 9 is actually a good deal easier than the K levels.

• Options
    World 9 = beat'd.

Eat my ass, Mirror Mode. I am not going through all of that! Shit be for masochists.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Rotam wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I owned the first three DKC games for SNES and played them all to completion. I started this game up and got a game over on the first level. I kept expecting the gameplay mechanics to be the exact same, but there were enough subtle differences to give me serious trouble for a while.

I really had no difficulty in the switchover from the original trilogy to Returns. Switching back though D: I played through the original trilogy about two years after DKCR came out and it was hard to get used to.

I like the physics in Returns so much better than the Rare games. Not to say they are terrible, they still control excellently. It's just DK's weight in this, he's heavy but agile, and controls like a dream.

Really? He feels incredibly clumsy to me, particularly any time you run up to a wall, which he instead runs into. Just feels like a platforming no-no to me...
    The original trilogy is nearly 20 years old and was made by a completely different development team. You really can't expect the games to feel / control the same.

More similar than this. I mean, Mario feels slightly different but familiar. Elsewhere, Inti Creates managed to ape Mega Man 2 pretty well for Mega Man 9 and 10, so it can be done.
    Beat the final boss. Man, fuck that guy. Landing the final hit was nearly impossible for me. Also, fuck rocket barrels. Fuck them right in the ass.

Rocket barrels are like Balloon Fight with too much weight/increasing momentum, in my humble opinion.

If anyone is interesting, I finally got my review up last week. It sort of takes on the perspective of a person who has played the original trilogy, played a little of the Wii version, and completed it for the first time on 3DS. Maybe that's a little on the nose, but I like to think I covered all the key elements.

And I used Super Kong once on 8-2, the barrel rocket stage. I was just ready to finish and move on to Animal Crossing and Zelda: Oracle of Seasons by that point. Turns out I'd nearly reached the end a couple of times, it was that one last bit that got me.

Last boss was a huge pain, though, since they don't let you get Diddy beforehand.

I hope maybe Tropical Freeze lays off the difficulty by maybe 10 percent, given the controls look like they'll be the same. I don't want a huge difference, but I was really getting sick of redoing some levels here.

I feel like the Factory really nailed it, though.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yo. Yo. Fuck your face KONG letters in Muncher Marathon. Fuck you so hard.

I forgot I played most of the Wii version in two player mode, which allows some breathing room when you screw up and your partner is still alive, and also allows some cheese tactics like doing suicide runs to random places and items while the other player remains in a safe spot. Getting shit in singleplayer legit is kinda harder!

• Options
    Only problem I had with 5-K was timing the barrel blasts towards the end, where they are moving up and down at LUDICROUS SPEED.

6-K however, can eat a dick. That rising lava + flaming buzzer tikis + invincible electric bees. First time in the whole game I had to bust out the Banana Juice.

Just got World 9 unlocked. Not sure how much I want to play it after going through all those brutal ass K stages. There's a point where it's so frustratingly difficult that all the fun is sucked out of it. Not crazy about going through more of that.

Holy shit balls! 6-K is no fucking joke. I've got the first 4 puzzle pieces but run out of health dodging that damn bee. Haven't gotten any further....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played this game on the Wii, all the way through. Loved it. The level design was so good.

Is it worth it to pick it up for 3ds? Would be nice to ditch the waggle controls.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    After reading this thread I feel crazy for not minding the waggle controls in the Wii version. The only "active" use of them was to roll, and it always seemed fairly easy to pull off in my experience. The pounding the ground/blowing was easy enough and never had enough of an immediate need that I felt like I needed to have a button press instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    You're not crazy. The "waggle" controls worked perfectly, and those that tend to bitch & moan about it are just afraid of change.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I felt like i could have been more precise with my roll jumps had i had a button press. The waggle stuff worked, but it wasn't optimal for me.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    You're not crazy. The "waggle" controls worked perfectly, and those that tend to bitch & moan about it are just afraid of change.

You're a silly goose.

I'm missing a hand. Fuck waggle controls. Especially when other control options are available and they specifically disable them. I can understand some games are going to outright require it, and fine I don't get to play those but when there is no reason for it and they provide no alternative then it's totally worth bitching about.

Heck, fuck lack of customizable controls in general, waggle or no. Full button mapping should have been the standard over a decade ago.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Holy shit balls! 6-K is no fucking joke. I've got the first 4 puzzle pieces but run out of health dodging that damn bee. Haven't gotten any further....

I just beat 6-K with the puzzle pieces. It wasn't challenging so much as it was tedious. I found 5-K to be much more difficult.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    6-K is a severe case of the first half of the level being fairly trivial and the second half being stupid bullshit, but since there's no checkpointing you play the easy part over and over and over again until you get really really sick of the tedium to the point where you start dying to dumb things due to steadily draining focus. A lot of the K levels (incl. the final, final level) are like this. It annoys me to no end but I can't stop until I beat the goddamn things.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    6-K is a severe case of the first half of the level being fairly trivial and the second half being stupid bullshit, but since there's no checkpointing you play the easy part over and over and over again until you get really really sick of the tedium to the point where you start dying to dumb things due to steadily draining focus. A lot of the K levels (incl. the final, final level) are like this. It annoys me to no end but I can't stop until I beat the goddamn things.

This is so true. Just finished it tonight with all the puzzle pieces though. Now, only 3 worlds left to go...with Project X Zone on the way!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Hardly afraid of change, but as Lars so kindly pointed out, there are reasons why people might prefer alternate methods.

As for me, I prefer the button presses because they're more reliable, though even those still aren't quite perfect, as I learned in the 3DS game.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Man this thread is hilarious. I've been playing the game for the past week and haven't once thought collecting the kong letters was difficult on any stage. I just cleared the second to last K stage so I'm pretty far. I don't think I've needed to do a board more than twice to get all the letters. The hardest K stage was probably the barrel one which has all the shredders and bouncy tires though the lava one was close. I haven't gotten all the puzzle pieces yet in all boards though. I used the parrot for a couple of them just because they were really well hidden. Makes me feel like a cheater, but it's there. Having a limit of 99 lives and 999 coins is annoying though. I'm at the max pretty often. Fantastic game though.