Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

• Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's just that i'm becoming old and/or have abused drugs for many years but i sure am not very good at this game.

i've never been especially good at platformers but this sure is kicking my ass.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Alright, just finished up the game last night. Took roughly 11 and a half hours according to Activity Log. 72%

Gonna work on the puzzle pieces and unlocking World 9 next.
    I absolutely hate the little continue pig. I feel like he is constantly mocking me. Oh gee... as if I couldn't already tell that I sucked at this game from the sheer number of times that the spiders have eaten me. Thanks pig. Your super kong will sure help me get all the kong letters. :)

You actually used the Super Guide? For shame.

I used the super guide on platform panic just so I could see the whole level through once. Too much needing to know where to go before you commit to moving in that level.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Alright, just finished up the game last night. Took roughly 11 and a half hours according to Activity Log. 72%

Gonna work on the puzzle pieces and unlocking World 9 next.
    I absolutely hate the little continue pig. I feel like he is constantly mocking me. Oh gee... as if I couldn't already tell that I sucked at this game from the sheer number of times that the spiders have eaten me. Thanks pig. Your super kong will sure help me get all the kong letters. :)

You actually used the Super Guide? For shame.

Yeah I used it on one of the k levels just to see how it worked... I was pretty ashamed.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    iowa wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just that i'm becoming old and/or have abused drugs for many years but i sure am not very good at this game.

i've never been especially good at platformers but this sure is kicking my ass.

Apparently there is no middle ground for some people. :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ive completed KONG in every level cept one so far and im on world 3 so i guess im not completely awful. but lots of game overs especially on mine cart levels. and lots of banana juices

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Little to no point in buying banana juice as far as I'm concerned since 95% of my deaths involve pits.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    World 4 complete. All KONG letters and puzzle pieces up to this point also. Funny, I got 100% on the Wii version, but for whatever reason I'd forgotten how tough Jagged Jewels was. It wasn't completely horrific once you found the rhythm the level wanted you to take and if you didn't screw up and lose Diddy, but it was still the most times I've died since Platform Panic. Which, incidentally, is the one that stuck in my mind as being ear-impossible on the Wii version and mercilessly kicked my ass this time as well. Also whichever -K level it is with the rising lava (haven't reached it yet) was the other near-impossible level that I really remembered.

Jeez the thought of trying Mirror Mode in some of these is horrifying.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Nintendo I love you but would it kill you to let me know how much space this game takes before you force me to load $60 onto my account? Lucky I had a spare micro with an adapter.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    World 3, minus the boss, complete. The K level was super easy. 1 death and got all the puzzle pieces.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So I played it on Wii, and I know they ported it to 3DS. I'm a sucker for remakes, I love playing things on the 3DS, and DKCR in threeee deeeeeee is something I wanted since day one.

And I still can't justify myself getting it. There just isn't enough new stuff. Maybe when the price goes down. But I'm hoping on any potential sequels being cross-platform for Wii U and 3DS.

So, those of you who have the new version
    Have you reached any of the new levels yet? How are they?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I owned the first three DKC games for SNES and played them all to completion. I started this game up and got a game over on the first level. I kept expecting the gameplay mechanics to be the exact same, but there were enough subtle differences to give me serious trouble for a while.

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I owned the first three DKC games for SNES and played them all to completion. I started this game up and got a game over on the first level. I kept expecting the gameplay mechanics to be the exact same, but there were enough subtle differences to give me serious trouble for a while.

I really had no difficulty in the switchover from the original trilogy to Returns. Switching back though D: I played through the original trilogy about two years after DKCR came out and it was hard to get used to.

I like the physics in Returns so much better than the Rare games. Not to say they are terrible, they still control excellently. It's just DK's weight in this, he's heavy but agile, and controls like a dream.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The original trilogy is nearly 20 years old and was made by a completely different development team. You really can't expect the games to feel / control the same.
    So I played it on Wii, and I know they ported it to 3DS. I'm a sucker for remakes, I love playing things on the 3DS, and DKCR in threeee deeeeeee is something I wanted since day one.

And I still can't justify myself getting it. There just isn't enough new stuff. Maybe when the price goes down. But I'm hoping on any potential sequels being cross-platform for Wii U and 3DS.

So, those of you who have the new version
    Have you reached any of the new levels yet? How are they?

The new levels are fun with a couple interesting mechanics, but they are fairly easy, especially considering what you have to do to reach them.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Beat the final boss. Man, fuck that guy. Landing the final hit was nearly impossible for me. Also, fuck rocket barrels. Fuck them right in the ass.

Now on to finding the rest of the KONG letters and opening up world 9. Better be worth it!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I've made it to world 4. Fuck my life. So much memorization combined with exact timing to get all the KONG letters. Christ on a cracker these mine cart levels are hard!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've made it to world 4. Fuck my life. So much memorization combined with exact timing to get all the KONG letters. Christ on a cracker these mine cart levels are hard!

World 4 was probably when the difficulty started spiking. And it only went up from there.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    I think World 4 and 8 are the hardest in the game. Everything between isn't too bad.

Actually no, that's not right, some of the cliff levels are pretty tough. I hate the first one. I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Cliifs were frequently really really hard. I don't remember the factory being all that bad, in fact I mostly remember it for some of my favorite levels in the game with some brilliant mechanics. Volcano was just balls-out hard, but it's the last world, what'd you expect? Caves for some reason wasn't that bad for me. Except the big bat. That fat bastard can go straight to hell.

• Options
    Pretty much anything with a rocket barrel is guaranteed to be at least somewhat challenging.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Good fucking God! That giant bat level can eat all my dick. The amount of balloons I used would have given the house from Up a run for it's money.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I somehow managed to beat that on my first try. The mine cart levels usually give me more trouble than the rocket barrel ones.

• Options
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was just announced, being released for the Wii U later this year.

Dixie is back!

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was just announced, being released for the Wii U later this year.

Dixie is back!

Very nice. Can't wait.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Waggle Controls return? booo

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    b1rdman wrote: »

I'm gonna guess that they'll be control options, including playing on the Gamepad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

I'm gonna guess that they'll be control options, including playing on the Gamepad.

My God, I hope your right. If so, I will be back on board with playing this shit on my TV. I literally got the game on wii for christmas, played one or two levels and nver touched it. I got the 3ds one and can barely put it down unless Luigi's Mansion gets my attention.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options

My God, I hope your right. If so, I will be back on board with playing this shit on my TV. I literally got the game on wii for christmas, played one or two levels and nver touched it. I got the 3ds one and can barely put it down unless Luigi's Mansion gets my attention.

If they don't offer gamepad support (especially for off-tv play) I'll eat my cock.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

If they don't offer gamepad support (especially for off-tv play) I'll eat my cock.

Screenshotted for future hilariousness. If and when they don't do so, you better be hungry

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Of course it'll be playable with the gamepad.

• Options
    It'll look a little something like this if I do

3389322550_c77ab7415d_z.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/

Looks like November is the exact release date.

Well, "exact".

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Rpv0F2e.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wow, that's pretty cool. I was really digging the music in DKCR returns though, especially that jazz track in world 7.

• Options
    Good fucking God! That giant bat level can eat all my dick. The amount of balloons I used would have given the house from Up a run for it's money.

yea i just beat this last night. gotta get into the groove. slight up slight release to avoid supersonic waves

• Options
    iowa wrote: »

yea i just beat this last night. gotta get into the groove. slight up slight release to avoid supersonic waves

I got through the level and missed a puzzle piece, the one at the beginning. After getting the piece, I actually breezed through the rest of the level only dying once. Maybe it's the pressure of getting all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces that makes me die so often?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9FnSvEQxE

One additional playable character!

Dear god, please let it be Cranky.

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    We all know who it's going to be!
    20120202235050!DKL3Kiddy65.jpg
    WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME???

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    Yeah, it's probably gonna be him.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Assuming it's not a new character or guest, the only returning characters I could conceivably see it being would be Kiddy, Cranky, Funky, or Tiny.

Kiddy since he was playable in the earlier games, or one of the other 3 since they've been playable in more recent things. Heck, Funky was in Mario Kart, and they gave Tiny a brand new design (that would look really weird next to Dixie if they go with it instead of her original).

• Options
    Lanky or bust

You see, he can stretch his arms out just for you.

And handstand when he needs to.