As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Dungeon Crawl 2: The Cave's Treasure - GAME OVER

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Please point me to where I said OH MY GOD SAVE THE MONSTER THIS IS FUCKING ESSENTIAL

I asked "Hey guys, what if this thing". Do you know what that means? What if? It means I don't know, it means let's discuss, let's think about hypotheticals. You know, let's assume we're not god's gift to phalla and that we know exactly what we should do. The fact that there are people going you know it's an interesting idea let's discuss it and at the same time people are going FUCKING MAFIA PLAN YOU ARE MAFIA MAFIA MAFIA KILL HIM KILL HIM is absolutely ridiculous and incredibly tiring. I do not want to fend off a fucking bandwagon every time I suggest an idea in phalla.

Do you know what mafia need to do to win games? I should hope so since it's all that's happened this year, but if you haven't noticed it's not boondoggle the village into following them like a pied piper, it's hang out, do nothing, and let village bullheadedness hang themselves.

But an idea is a dangerous thing. Maybe the mafia isn't controlling the monsters, but the risks of keeping it alive out weight the rewards of keeping it. And maybe you aren't mafia, but I feel that, with the death toll and no red, that the mafia is controlling this game and tactics like this is more beneficial to them than us.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Who should we vote for? (preferably not INANTP because he has been a proponent of discussion and as stated earlier discussion is a good thing.)

Should we keep the monster alive?

If yes, who should get the attack?

WE SHOULD VOTE FOR THOSE NOT TALKEY TO US. LIKE TA .

NO, MONSTER MUSH BE SMUSHED. BAD MANS HAD POWERS TO SCREW WITH MONSTERS LAST GAME. BUT NOT TO SMUSHED, OR WE NEVER DAMAGE BAD MANS.

MAKE SURE VOTE WINNER IS LAST VOTED. ANYONE WHO DOESN'T VOTE FOR VOTE WINNER GETS SMUSHED TOMORROW.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    New premium sale:
    Whoever pays me the most money can pick a target for my last second vote
    premium wrote: »
    Anonymity and confidentiality guaranteed, losers will be fully refunded

Like hell I'm getting botp'd

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Please point me to where I said OH MY GOD SAVE THE MONSTER THIS IS FUCKING ESSENTIAL

I asked "Hey guys, what if this thing". Do you know what that means? What if? It means I don't know, it means let's discuss, let's think about hypotheticals. You know, let's assume we're not god's gift to phalla and that we know exactly what we should do. The fact that there are people going you know it's an interesting idea let's discuss it and at the same time people are going FUCKING MAFIA PLAN YOU ARE MAFIA MAFIA MAFIA KILL HIM KILL HIM is absolutely ridiculous and incredibly tiring. I do not want to fend off a fucking bandwagon every time I suggest an idea in phalla.

Do you know what mafia need to do to win games? I should hope so since it's all that's happened this year, but if you haven't noticed it's not boondoggle the village into following them like a pied piper, it's hang out, do nothing, and let village bullheadedness hang themselves.

But an idea is a dangerous thing. Maybe the mafia isn't controlling the monsters, but the risks of keeping it alive out weight the rewards of keeping it. And maybe you aren't mafia, but I feel that, with the death toll and no red, that the mafia is controlling this game and tactics like this is more beneficial to them than us.

It's been two days. We're fine.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    When you take out inactivity, three people died yesterday. Not a lot in a nearly 40 person game.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Eh, benefit of the doubt.

Let's try the guy with the hot mafia hand:

mrtlicious

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    So, I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but re: the monster killing debate there was some talk yesterday about maybe our wincon is actually dependent on killing all the monsters. Today's narration starts with this:
    Realizing that they would never reach the holy relic at the end of the cave, and thereby succeed in their quest, without defeating the giant green ooze blocking the entire passageway.

Emphasis mine. Could maybe be a hint from the host that yeah, we need to kill these things to win?

• Options
    So it's theoretical that we could kill all the mafia and then awkwardly just hang out in the phalla thread for two days saying "yeah i attack the monster"?

I feel like once we eliminate the mafia we can safely say "Yes, we just kill the fucking monsters, we're fine."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Unless there's too few of us left after we're finished with the mafia that the hosts decide that we can't possibly defeat the monsters before the monsters defeat us. It's a possibility.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Unless there's too few of us left after we're finished with the mafia that the hosts decide that we can't possibly defeat the monsters before the monsters defeat us. It's a possibility.

I doubt if ZH is any more eager to let the game go on until the village votes itself to death than I was in Airport.

• Options
    Doesn't have to let the game go on, can just end it with a monster victory based on probability.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Doesn't have to let the game go on, can just end it with a monster victory based on probability.

That might have been feasible before, but NOW the hosts are gonna make INANTP sit around awkwardly in the thread attacking the giant purple worm waiting at the end of the cave until one of them dies.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My morning thoughts before my phone dies.

I am curious about jpants. Les sothancyth. My original vote on him was actually a joke but I'll take it either way.

Jdark is still of some interest to me but I'll assume he's ok for now. Also tayrun and phyphor.

Will give son reasons when I get to the office cause my phone is Hong to die

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    My morning thoughts before my phone dies.

I am curious about jpants. Les sothancyth. My original vote on him was actually a joke but I'll take it either way.

Jdark is still of some interest to me but I'll assume he's ok for now. Also tayrun and phyphor.

Will give son reasons when I get to the office cause my phone is Hong to die
    I'm just quoting this because of the awesome autocorrects.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    The Phyphor situation is very suspicious. Did the mafia go back in time and stop him from signing up so that we wouldn't have the benefit of the magic box?

Flarne on
  • Options
    Trust, what's your story? You barely post. When you vote, you explicitly mirror another player's vote.

Maybe chat with us here, don't spend all your time on your mafia boards okay?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Box is down. Why not spreadsheet?

Pretty sure the vote you've got JPants making vs. MrT day3 is actually Void Slayer's vote.

Flarne on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure the vote you've got JPants making vs. MrT day3 is actually Void Slayer's vote.
    Edit: Yup, you're right. Somebody quoted a vote and I misparsed it.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Edit: Yup, you're right. Somebody quoted a vote and I misparsed it.

You can always reference this handy spreadsheet for comparisons.

Flarne on
  • Options
    Clever play there, Flarne!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Since it's not very obvious: The dotted lines in the vote timeline are whenever you've posted a vote count.

Edit: That was silly. It's shared now.

Flarne on
  • Options
    Since it's not very obvious: The dotted lines in the vote timeline are whenever you've posted a vote count.

As a spreadsheet nerd, let me just say: that is a pretty neat spreadsheet.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Premium, we are merchants, not hired assassins. Although...

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Premium, we are merchants, not hired assassins. Although...

We literally sell implements of death to people of dubious reputation. This is hardly a big step.

• Options

As a spreadsheet nerd, let me just say: that is a pretty neat spreadsheet.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it! It could probably be a bit easier on the eyes though.

• Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    Murder the monster it is, then.

Looking over his posts, I get a weird feeling from SLyM. A lot of filler, a lot of short posts making quick observations that could easily go unnoticed. I'm not going to make a giant quote tree because I've seen the power of those things to reduce all conversation to ash, but I recommend anyone looking for something to do: go check it out.

I would also not be opposed to traditionally talkative people who are uncharacteristically quiet (*cough* Langly *cough* Baidol).

• Options

Looking over his posts, I get a weird feeling from SLyM. A lot of filler, a lot of short posts making quick observations that could easily go unnoticed. I'm not going to make a giant quote tree because I've seen the power of those things to reduce all conversation to ash, but I recommend anyone looking for something to do: go check it out.

I would also not be opposed to traditionally talkative people who are uncharacteristically quiet (*cough* Langly *cough* Baidol).

The trouble with that is that it's difficult to distinguish deliberately not posting from actually having shit to do. I'm awake right now when I'm usually asleep because I've got a splitting headache that is making trepanation seem like a good idea, for example. Sounds plausible (is in fact true), but none of y'all know. It cuts for not being active too.

• Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    I don't disagree on any one point, but there also isn't a ton to go on.

Generally, I find that more points of view leads to better decision-making. Nudging people into talking more makes them A) more talkative, presenting more points of view and B) more likely to slip up if they are hiding something.

Its not a perfect strategy, but as a general concept I like it. I'm all for better ideas if you have them.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

The trouble with that is that it's difficult to distinguish deliberately not posting from actually having shit to do. I'm awake right now when I'm usually asleep because I've got a splitting headache that is making trepanation seem like a good idea, for example. Sounds plausible (is in fact true), but none of y'all know. It cuts for not being active too.

I was about to give you shit for being so quiet, but now I'd feel bad. Have you tried caffeine? Downside: may make it difficult to fall asleep. Upside: often helps with headaches, in moderate doses. And if you can't sleep anyway, it's a good excuse to brew a comforting cup of coffee or tea.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    On lunch and have time to squeak in a post before going back to work!

Yes we should be killing the monsters. Every enemy killed = LOTS of gold for our rogues, while the mafia has at most 1 rogue (well in the last game the mafia couldn't double up on classes... I'm assuming the same for this game since I can't see ZH trying to make the mafia MORE powerful) to get double gold from. Plus it gives the leader a chance to hand out the loot to (hopefully) whatever network they have managed to form.

I don't think we should necessarily jump on the people who argued for not killing, because I can see some compelling reasons to consider it, but I do think we should be killing every mob that crosses our path.

Baidol gets my vote for now. Barely posting, drops a throwaway vote (or at least a vote with no reasoning) RIGHT after narration, and (this is where the real guess work comes in) I suspect he was hanging around at vote close to make sure he didn't get hit by the ooze, for fear of revealing that he didn't take any damage. If someone had tied him with me he could just switch his vote from Mikey to me for "self-preservation". Speaking of, thanks again to whoever healed me last night. It is greatly appreciated!

I can't tell if MrT using the health pot is suspicious or not. The obvious implication is that the only way he could have trusted someone enough to use one of our pots on them is if he was masoned or mafia'd. Then again, if he was a mafia, that would be a stupid move for that exact reason.

Lunch is up, back after work

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular

No bueno! Excedrin Migraine is a gift from the gods.

• Options
    JPants wrote: »

No bueno! Excedrin Migraine is a gift from the gods.

90% sure this is sinus-related due to the return of the rain and allergies, honestly. Plus side it gave me an excuse to start watching Torchwood, which is okay apart from their sound guy wanting to break my head.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    for the moment I am ok voting for mrt. Reading through the thread now.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Wait what?! SLyM is around?!

I don't recall a phalla he played in where I wasn't very aware of his presence. :P

Though could just be busy. I reserve the right to change my vote if something more concrete shows up. Sadly I got nada.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    In response to whoever called me out for being quiet, it's just the way I am. I've never been a big talkative player, I prefer to just analyse and play hunches. I'll soft network sometimes but I'm in this game on my phone pretty much exclusively so not so much this time.

JPants. Sticking with it until he's dead or vouched for.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Trust wrote: »
    In response to whoever called me out for being quiet, it's just the way I am. I've never been a big talkative player, I prefer to just analyse and play hunches. I'll soft network sometimes but I'm in this game on my phone pretty much exclusively so not so much this time.

JPants. Sticking with it until he's dead or vouched for.

No excuse, I'm on my phone 99% of this game!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Day 3

Day 2 Results Narration

Realizing that they would never reach the holy relic at the end of the cave, and thereby succeed in their quest, without defeating the giant green ooze blocking the entire passageway, the adventurers redoubled their efforts to destroy the green slime.

So its pretty obvious now that we need to kill all the monsters and get to the end of the cave.

OH SO WRONG

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Now knowing that killing monsters is essential and reading back through the debate about whether we should kill monsters or not this quote is the only one that really stood out to me:
    I dunno, the idea at least deserves exploring. I think you're just sour about it, because without new monster info you won't feel as useful. Invictus raises some worthy counterpoints, so I'm torn on the monster-slaying issue, but we should at least discuss it a little rather than just rejecting the notion out of hand.

OmLoz sits on both sides of the fence while simultaneously pushing the village into making sure to maybe explore this issue that would doom us. It's just passive enough that he isn't pegged if it bites us in the ass.

FWIW, I still think Jpants is mafia too