As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Darker Side of [Chat]

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Also, Real Ale types are overwhelmingly middle aged white men. Oddly the majority of the half dozen women seemed to be Afro-Asian Carribean so go figure

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    What is this garter throwing thing, I have never heard of this.

Bride tosses bouquet to all the single ladies while the traditional folk song "All the Single Ladies" is played
    Groom tosses garter to a bunch of dudes.
    Dude who catches garter then puts it on the bridesmaid that caught the bouqet in front of everyone
    It is generally awkward and unpleasant for all parties involved.

jesus christ

that is ten kinds of fucked up

It can get worse. At my cousin's wedding one of my younger cousins caught the bouquet. My aunts and mother decided that I had to join in with the single guys. I tried to argue against it because I had been married once so it wouldn't be fair but enough of my female relatives can drag me somewhere apparently. So I did the only thing a man can do in a situation like that. Faked my knee going out and flopped like I was trying out for the Italian world cup team.

I really hate the garter tradition.

I've actually never heard of this tradition but it sounds terrible.

The worst tradition at any wedding I've been to has been the general creepy vibe of a father owning his daughter and giving her away. I went to one where he walked her down the aisle and gave a little "I am giving <name>, my daughter, to <name>." thing with some other stuff mixed in and I was definitely disconcerted and felt really creepy to even be there.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hey broar!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Bride tosses bouquet to all the single ladies while the traditional folk song "All the Single Ladies" is played
    Dude who catches garter then puts it on the bridesmaid that caught the bouqet in front of everyone

jesus christ

It can get worse. At my cousin's wedding one of my younger cousins caught the bouquet. My aunts and mother decided that I had to join in with the single guys. I tried to argue against it because I had been married once so it wouldn't be fair but enough of my female relatives can drag me somewhere apparently. So I did the only thing a man can do in a situation like that. Faked my knee going out and flopped like I was trying out for the Italian world cup team.

The worst tradition at any wedding I've been to has been the general creepy vibe of a father owning his daughter and giving her away. I went to one where he walked her down the aisle and gave a little "I am giving <name>, my daughter, to <name>." thing with some other stuff mixed in and I was definitely disconcerted and felt really creepy to even be there.

Never seen that. Seen the father walk the bride down the isle and then a small non-scripted exchange that usually is one of the two saying they love the other. But nothing said to the groom.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    On the last episode of The Wire
    Dukie, no! :-O

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Going back to American cultural standards for nudity is going to be weird.

Going back to American cultural standards for PDAs will be nice though.

Can you briefly tell me what it's like in Japan, compared to here? I'm curious and don't know more than the basics.

Nudity is very context driven, but nudity isn't inherently sexual here. If you go to an onsen or a public bathhouse you walk around naked and it is no big deal. They are mostly split by gender but no one cares that anyone else there is naked. Little naked kids go running by chasing one another, dodging around all naked doddering men. If you go to a mixed onsen it is likewise the same, no one cares. It's because the context of an onsen is a place to relax, there is nothing sexual about onsen, so there's nothing sexual about being naked there.

Or take for example last night at my kendo practice, we are in our dojo, the purpose of which is to practice kendo. So, while I was changing in the same area as everyone else and was just down to my boxers and a new female member showed up for the first time we went through the whole greeting ritual (hajimemashite, blah blah blah, yoroshiku onegaishimasu) while I was basically wearing nothing, and no one cared.

PDAs though are basically a big no-no. Anything past holding hands is really frowned upon. And I almost got tossed out of a bar for swapping spit with a girl.

Admittedly I also think part of that is that I had just met the girl like 10 minutes ago at that bar and I think some other people had been eyeing her for some time during the night and probably buying her drinks or buying drinks to build up their courage for her... so I probably wasn't good for sales.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I have got to say, the lack of sexualized nudity is really appealing. I hate how bodies are seen as inherently sexualized here and nudity is seen as shameful. Hate hate hate.

But yeah that PDA thing sounds like a pain :P

Curse your sexy self.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My family had done the bouquet toss and the garter toss, but never the garter catcher has to put it on the bouquet catcher, that bit just sounds awkward as hell.

In our family its more of a big joke, everyone tries to catch it, especially the little kids, and then everyone laughs at who caught what and then speculates and who they may get hitched with laughingly.

But my family is a bunch of drunk boisterous cubans so, it figures.

• Options

jesus christ

Never seen that. Seen the father walk the bride down the isle and then a small non-scripted exchange that usually is one of the two saying they love the other. But nothing said to the groom.

I haven't been to many weddings (that I remember) so it might just be that one and I wouldn't know. But it was definitely a really creepy vibe and exchange.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man these The Last of Us scores are CRAY

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/06/obamacare-a-war-on-bros.html

I didn't even read the article beyond the first few sentences because I'm busy but "Is Obamacare a War on Bros?"

If there is a War on Bros....

Where do I enlist?

aw cmon bro dont be like that

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah I'd settle for really good cheesecake for my wedding, assuming I ever get married.

I'm starting to think that marriage is becoming a matter of "if" for me. Which, honestly, bothers me a great deal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

jesus christ

Our vows were:

Me: "To love and cherish"

Her: "To honour and obey"

And she signed documents! In triplicate! This is legally binding!

@marz_1982

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    all this talk of stilton reminded me that I had to check out the new cheesemonger on my block

really cute little shop with lots of nice epicurean gourmet olive oils and chutneys and such

got some bleu d'auvergne, some american speck, and a rye baguette

nom!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

jesus christ

Our vows were:

@marz_1982

I tell myself this every time I disagree with my wife but I'm wrong.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    haha, what

is that article equating bros with 25 year old healthy men

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'll be buggered if I can find something I want to gas about in the instant film watch thread on Netflix. Will try again tomorrow.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    This is why I don't go to New Zealand. I am scared Mortious will make me sign weird legal documents.

• Options
    The sexualization of bodies has become really interesting to me as of late, especially given what's going on with mine. So yeah, that is of great interest.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

jesus christ

I haven't been to many weddings (that I remember) so it might just be that one and I wouldn't know. But it was definitely a really creepy vibe and exchange.

Yeah it would be. One more thing I refuse to ever do is act a parent for permission to marry their child. Not gonna do it.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'll be buggered if I can find something I want to gas about in the instant film watch thread on Netflix. Will try again tomorrow.

I don't know if you saw it but I suggested The Long Good Friday. It's not a comedy but it is a very British Crime film.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I want to have sex with bodies.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    This is why I don't go to New Zealand. I am scared Mortious will make me sign weird legal documents.

Pfft, don't worry, our legal documents are written on sheep skin. So even if you sign something silly, the sheep will eventually walk.away

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options

jesus christ

Yeah it would be. One more thing I refuse to ever do is act a parent for permission to marry their child. Not gonna do it.

If I recall correctly, my ex thought it was a sweet gesture. I uh, disagreed vehemently. Not gonna do that.

She also said she'd want to share a name with a hypothetical husband. I found even that to be a bit weird and uncomfortable, to be honest.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

See I want to have sex with people's sexy sexy brains.

They don't let me assist in neurosurgery anymore.

• Options

They don't let me assist in neurosurgery anymore.

Their brains are part of their bodies.

I want to have sex with the whole thing.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

I don't know if you saw it but I suggested The Long Good Friday. It's not a comedy but it is a very British Crime film.

I like that movie a lot but I don't love it. I'm shooting for something I adore.

• Options

I like that movie a lot but I don't love it. I'm shooting for something I adore.

I understand.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    e6WgISE.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

jesus christ

If I recall correctly, my ex thought it was a sweet gesture. I uh, disagreed vehemently. Not gonna do that.

She also said she'd want to share a name with a hypothetical husband. I found even that to be a bit weird and uncomfortable, to be honest.

Only if it was something we made up and was awesome

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Have you looked into hypnosis and/or the applied use of psychotropic drugs?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

jesus christ

I did that.

Personal reasoning was to be polite and include the parents so they feel involved etc. Their answer mattered little in the overall scheme of things.

Mostly though it was to force me into a solid date on which to do it, so I don't chicken out and postpone it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    20 hours of sleep. Not good.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    marz_1982marz_1982 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

jesus christ

Our vows were:

@marz_1982

Hah, well at least you said "Yes" in all the right spots during the Pastor's speech :)

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    20 hours of sleep. Not good.

Oh god, that sounds wonderful right now.

• Options

jesus christ

Only if it was something we made up and was awesome

To be fair part of why I was uncomfortable was that her last name was totally badass. Mine is only pretty badass.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    omg I had this ice cream last night

I try super hard to eat a specific diet (won't get into it), but of course I eat the 'wrong thing' sometimes. Never beat myself up, just have my plan for any given day firmly in sight.

but that wrong thing is never ice cream. never cared for it much even as a kid.

but last night I was down the jersey shore, we played football in the sand, I ran through the freezing cold ocean and felt like a God. and then I got blackberry ice cream and it was the greatest thing I've ever eaten.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Have you looked into hypnosis and/or the applied use of psychotropic drugs?

Drugs are pretty much always the answer to my problems.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    my wife is taking my name

patriarchyyyyyyyyyyy

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    my wife is taking my name

patriarchyyyyyyyyyyy

You'd better stop her or there'll be nothing left!

This discussion has been closed.