As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Last of] Us Gamers

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    That all said

People who worked on this game: Develop a DLC item where I get a magic sword that never breaks and allow me to cut through these fucking Clickers on repeated playthroughs

I'll pay $10 for that sweet satisfaction

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    i'm about to start hard because i had so much fun in normal mode and i know that this sort of game will get better when the combat forces you to be more creative

i am probably hoping for too much for it to be more fun

edit: holy shit survivor is unlocked after completing on normal. i am not in for fun anymore. not at all.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I just got through Clicker Station (I don't have a better term for it)

Now I have to play the Hatsune Miko demo to lighten up my mood because I'm not going to bed in the state I'm in

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I just watched the intro to this

I am so tempted to buy a PS3 for this alone

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I am hoping to pick one up on the cheap some time soon. Although I don't have anywhere to set it up at the moment.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    What I think makes the difficulty "fun" rather than infuriating is how quickly the game lets you reload and try again, and how smart the check pointing is. It's the same reason I don't get mad at games like Trials 2 or Super Meat Boy. The initial load time when starting to play is unusually long, but if that's a necessary tradeoff for the quick reloads it is well worth it and smartly done.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I get frustrated mostly when I lose like 20 minutes of careful sneaking progress because I can't see shit and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

That said once you get an area "down" it's almost like solving a puzzle. If you know the "solution" you can kill 10 dudes in a minute because you know their patrol pattern and what order you can take them down and where you can disappear to if it gets hot.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    I get frustrated mostly when I lose like 20 minutes of careful sneaking progress because I can't see shit and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

That said once you get an area "down" it's almost like solving a puzzle. If you know the "solution" you can kill 10 dudes in a minute because you know their patrol pattern and what order you can take them down and where you can disappear to if it gets hot.

here's a tip:

zombies don't give a fuck about your flashlight

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    My main issue with this game, is there are not nearly enough areas where you have to sneak past clickers, and way too many areas full of humans that you have to shoot.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I tried sneaking when you are in those water pipes with all those infected. After two or three tries I just said fuck it and went in loud. There were only a couple clickers and the rest were runners and their damn running patterns are so erratic, I would get caught sneaking and have all of hell come down on my neck.

Set a couple traps, used some fire bombs and the rest I just punched to death.

I have about 175 supplements, should I max out hp, weapon sway or clicker shiv repel?

• Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    so can you craft arrows or what

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The Last of Us may be the scariest game I've ever played (i haven't played amnesia or anything)

I've played the Dead Space games, but those are mostly BOO GIANT HORRIBLE MONSTER!!

The Last of Us just creates such a feeling of dread

Having to sneak past a room full of only Clickers is terrifying

I always clear out like 90% of the clickers in an area. I can't help it. I've played too many games where not clearing rooms have come back to bite me. Plus, I don't want to continue stealthing onwards and smack into a runner (it's happened perhaps too much, even if I listen for them) and have the whole house come down on me. I like to take them out on my own terms, if I can.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    throwing a bottle into a room full of clickers so that they all run over, and then a molotov never stops being satisfying

• Options
    i take back everything i said. survivor mode is epic fun. you can't top taking out a room full of clickers with a shiv and two bricks, because you've got six bullets and haven't seen a melee weapon yet

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    throwing a bottle into a room full of clickers so that they all run over, and then a molotov never stops being satisfying

You don't actually have to lead with the bottle if you don't want!

Clickers run straight into the flames when they hear the molotov go off

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I own this game now.

• Options
    I own this game now.

Happy Father's Day!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Dog bites man and The New York Times continues to be terrible at reviewing things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/arts/video-games/in-the-video-game-the-last-of-us-survival-favors-the-man.html?_r=0
    The Last of Us aspires to be an interactive, mixed-company version of “The Road,” in this case the story of the relationship between an older man and a 14-year-old girl as they try to survive in an oppressive and deadly wasteland. Almost throughout, however, it is actually the story of Joel, the older man. This is another video game by men, for men and about men.

You know how sometimes someone thinks the Bechdel test is like, an actual test, which you use to pass or fail individual stories, instead of a way of examining larger trends? That's pretty much what this review feels like, except using Anita Sarkeesian instead. It's utterly dunderheaded. The female characters are bad. Why? He doesn't say, except that you control Joel in combat and therefore the game is just about Joel. Except for those times when you don't control Joel.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The opening sequence... I just... Fuck.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So is it just me or are they really channeling ellen page with ellie

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I got the game yesterday, but still haven't gotten a chance to start it.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I made it through Bill's Town and forced myself to bring it back to Redbox this morning

If I wanna see the rest, I have to buy a copy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    Dog bites man and The New York Times continues to be terrible at reviewing things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/arts/video-games/in-the-video-game-the-last-of-us-survival-favors-the-man.html?_r=0
    The Last of Us aspires to be an interactive, mixed-company version of “The Road,” in this case the story of the relationship between an older man and a 14-year-old girl as they try to survive in an oppressive and deadly wasteland. Almost throughout, however, it is actually the story of Joel, the older man. This is another video game by men, for men and about men.

You know how sometimes someone thinks the Bechdel test is like, an actual test, which you use to pass or fail individual stories, instead of a way of examining larger trends? That's pretty much what this review feels like, except using Anita Sarkeesian instead. It's utterly dunderheaded. The female characters are bad. Why? He doesn't say, except that you control Joel in combat and therefore the game is just about Joel. Except for those times when you don't control Joel.

uh

I hate to say it but this review might actually have a point

four hourish spoilers
    between Sarah and Tess both dying and having a huge impact on Joel's characterization, they both do act as a variation on women in the refrigerator, albeit not nearly as egregious as most examples Anita uses

at least Ellie can handle herself and has her own agency, and Marlene too

YaYa on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the Times has a point, at least up to a certain time in the game.
    KetBra wrote: »
    So is it just me or are they really channeling ellen page with ellie

Her first character design looked a lot like Ellen Page. I think they redesigned her about a year ago, but yeah, it's not just you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    one thing that crossed my mind - did anyone find a female firefly pendant yet?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    one thing that crossed my mind - did anyone find a female firefly pendant yet?
    There's definitely at least one, but ... the names on the Firefly pendants were the result of a contest we ran:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/03/the-last-of-us-firefly-pendant-winners/

• Options
    Well it took me the entire first half of the game to adjust to the combat system but I have it down now. Turns out choking people out and running the hell away is pretty good!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Ugh

I can't beat this one combat scenario that the game forces you into

Please don't force me into combat, game.

And I couldn't honestly give a FUCK about whether or not it's realistic to have to go into your backpack to switch weapons, it's a goddamn hassle to do in battle and I consider it a major strike against

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ugh

And I couldn't honestly give a FUCK about whether or not it's realistic to have to go into your backpack to switch weapons, it's a goddamn hassle to do in battle and I consider it a major strike against

it's supposed to be a hassle. I don't think they did it for realism, I think they did it for tension

same as trying to make or apply a healthkit in battle. You might be able to do it, but you'll be on edge the whole time.

• Options
    see also: choking someone out and praying during the agonizing seconds that it takes that no one looks over and sees you doing it

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ugh

it's supposed to be a hassle. I don't think they did it for realism, I think they did it for tension

same as trying to make or apply a healthkit in battle. You might be able to do it, but you'll be on edge the whole time.

I'm just wondering when someone's going to be able to actually make a game be scary and tense without intentionally hampering the player

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    @darric
    I'm the voice of all female stalkers who only appear in the sewer when you end up with Sam instead of Ellie

As for NYTimes article
    "a game for men by men" :):):)

beavotron on
  • Options
    I am not real surprised by a writer for NYT watching a YouTube video, digesting the social commentary, and then stretching really hard to apply it as often as possible regardless of its actual applicability.

• Options
    I think I might just restart the game on easy

'Cause hard is just a frustrating mess

I imagine the tense parts will still be tense because I'm pretty positive Clickers would still one-hit-kill you, and the combat parts would be less shitty

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    This is so good. Especially being a man.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

I imagine the tense parts will still be tense because I'm pretty positive Clickers would still one-hit-kill you, and the combat parts would be less shitty

I think you can change the difficulty mid game

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I think you can change the difficulty mid game

Yeah

But I'd rather go through all the areas I've done with a fresh gameplay perspective

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Far out, the acting and sound direction in this game is so damn well done and unsettling.
    Sarah's little squeaky gasping cries as she slowly fades in Joel's arms at the beginning
    just absolutely tore me apart.

Also my wife has discovered with glee that she is able to make a sound similar to the clickers and has been tormenting me all weekend.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    If you sit in the car at the beginning and don't kick out the window, you notice that the same character models keep running by

I love looking for little things like that

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I am pretty close to the end, I think
    Stuck in the hospital trying to fight my way past all those goddamn fireflys with their stupid assault rifles :(