As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Last of] Us Gamers

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am totally going to cry like an infant when/if my first child is ever born (ha ha i am a shit loser idiot who will never reproduce)

Hi five me too

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I totally did when Anya was born.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    someone needs to explain to me how the meta game layer of the multi works

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    man, fuck clickers

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I hate human enemies a lot more than clickers

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am totally going to cry like an infant when/if my first child is ever born (ha ha i am a shit loser idiot who will never reproduce)

Hi five me too
    Do I hear wedding bells

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    for those wondering what difficulty to play it on, i'd suggest normal for your first run

no doubt, it's not very hard if you've played this sort of game before, and you'll only tend to die through dumb mistakes and impatience, but things change up a bit later on that i won't spoil - but it gets hard, and there's a reason for it getting hard, and if you were playing a genuinely hard game all along you might miss an emotional moment or two

i'm a die-hard uncharted fan who beat the thing on crushing several times over, and i absolutely can't wait to unlock the survivor mode in the last of us. i had been thinking i should have done the whole thing on hard, but i've changed my mind. the default difficulty is pitched where it is for a reason.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There is a scene about an hour before the end that got me seriously, seriously misty-eyed.
    That scene with the giraffes was just transcendent. Like they've just been crushed down by so much grimness and despair and tension, and then you turn around a corner and it's just this suddenly magical, beautiful moment, like they've stepped out of time. I seriously didn't want to keep going for a while, just let them stay in the moment.

Also this game has one hell of an ending. Like it's the opposite of the ME3 ending, I don't think there could be a more fitting, morally complex, perfect ending to the game.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Bale: you are the leader of a small group of either hunters or fireflies. Every round you play of multi counts as a day. Your group requires a certain amount of supplies to remain healthy daily. You get those from picking them up in world off bodies or by winning the round.

If you succeed at earning your daily supplies, your chance of growing the population increases. If you don't, you'll lose members.

There are two types of missions that affect your population as well. Regular events allow you to earn new clan members and powerful in-game boosters. They last three rounds and you get to pick what you want to do.

Cataclysm events are things like infected attacks. You will always lose a portion of your population at the end of the three days. Perform better to lose the least amount possible.

The meta game lasts 12 weeks (84 multi matches) if you can make it to the end of the 12 weeks and still have some of your population, you've essentially "won" the meta game. It's tougher than it seems though.

I'd love to hear all of your feedback on the clarity of this system. I'm currently reworking some screens with the multi design lead for a future patch!

Edit: oh and connect to Facebook! It doesn't post anything it just pulls your friends names and pictures so they populate your clan. It makes it more intense when it's like "your mom is going to die if you don't win this next round" haha

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm not so sure about that facebook thing.

Like I appreciate the humor of it, and multiplayer is sort of inherently a silly thing anyway so fair enough, but to me that doesn't make it more intense, because every time your sister's boyfriend's brother who's kind of a dick dies and you see his name pop up it takes you out of the immersion, and you know he's not REALLY dead. As opposed to a randomly generated fictional character, who dies and stays dead forever.

Like for a contrast, look at XCOM, which manages to get you super invested in your squad despite their utter lack of any personality at all except for what you mentally ascribe to them. Giving them Avenger theme names or naming them after PA forumers reduces your anthropomorphism of them. I don't regret the deaths of the roughly 5 zillion forumers I've let down (and/or die because they can't make a goddamn 95% shot), but losing Captain Flynn Johnson, Badass Dude? Still a little bummed about that one, he died so the squad could live.

EDIT: The facebook thing seems especially out of place in THIS game, which is so clearly all about removing as many "game-isms" from between the player and the world of the game. Very little HUD, very very minimalist designs, no quickly accessed overhead map or "go here" shining beacons.

Anyway that's just more of a philosophical disagreement, this game is goddamn amazing and at some point I'm going to write up a long post to fellate it properly.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    wow.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Let me note that I wrote that on 4 hours of sleep and no food today

So I sort of took a random goofy comment and got all blah de blah on it

which now that I've got some food in me I'm mildly regretting

Although I do think it's a weird choice for a game like Last of Us to have a feature like that

• Options
    Actually I appreciate that feedback a lot! You're right about immersion and its definitely something we've discussed.

It's important to get feedback like this. We do this stuff in our little bubbles :)

• Options
    ending notes:
    heart of darkness has been my favourite story since i read it, and this isn't that, but the ending hits the same note - modernity necessitates that we lie to ourselves. in a narrative that goes to such brutal depths as this, that's the only way you can really end it without the big questions still lingering. it all comes together so naturally that you understand that this was a game created to support a story that had to be told - even if it's been told before, though not often - rather than a story created to support a game. i mentioned previously that this may be the best videogame yet and for me that's no longer in doubt, but at the very least it represents a peak of using the medium to communicate something.

they could have gone all HBO, used this for a blunt, fashionable, cut-to-credits cliffhanger ending and people would have still largely lauded it. that would have been a good ending, but this game doesn't have an ending. it has the whole damned story, which is rare at the moment.

i'll shut up.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So I was going to wait until I finish my backlog to buy this. But I'm selling my magic cards and pricing them I'm already at over $600 in net worth of rares alone. Therefore I am buying this game after I unload these damn cards

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I've just been watching day9 play this since I don't have a ps3.

Man, that intro sequence. I hope one day some company makes a survival horror where you principally play as a scared little kid, because that entire sequence was super powerful.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    hey beavo i don't know if you had anything to do with this but i really appreciated that i only ended up getting, what, one trophy? through the single player campaign. it is a game that thrives on its immersion and the balance of peripheral elements works finely enough that trophies would probably be a bother. besides, the game's too damned good. i can hunt the rest out in the coming days. weeks. decades.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I was going to wait until I finish my backlog to buy this. But I'm selling my magic cards and pricing them I'm already at over $600 in net worth of rares alone. Therefore I am buying this game after I unload these damn cards

good because i need peeps to play sick nasty multiplayer games with

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I've just been watching day9 play this since I don't have a ps3.

Man, that intro sequence. I hope one day some company makes a survival horror where you principally play as a scared little kid, because that entire sequence was super powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDQN_X5b-M

Among the Sleep is exactly that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm just kind of holding off on even writing anything much about the ending until most people have beat the game

But man I'm really looking forward to those conversations

• Options
    Several species of Cordyceps are considered to be medicinal mushrooms in classical Asian pharmacologies, such as that of traditional Chinese[3][unreliable source?] and Tibetan medicines.

i'm not saying this game needs a prequel, naughty dog, but you do have those nice himalayan assets already made...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm almost done with Bill's town

I think I'm gonna take it back to Redbox and force myself to actually buy a copy if I wanna see the rest

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    my save file says 52% complete, is that purely story progress or is that collectibles and stuff too?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I thought this game was a little unsettling but not scary. Cause I was playing at my girlfriends house

got back home. With the big tv and surround sound. And oh my god that was one of the scariest things I've ever played.
    Hotel basement type thing with the bloater and lots of enemies. So god damn tense and scary

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I thought this game was a little unsettling but not scary. Cause I was playing at my girlfriends house

got back home. With the big tv and surround sound. And oh my god that was one of the scariest things I've ever played.
    Hotel basement type thing with the bloater and lots of enemies. So god damn tense and scary

oh man, the hotel basement:
    As soon as I turned on the generator and I heard stuff spawn I thought to myself "well okay, I've got almost a dozen shotgun shells, i'll just crouch here and mow them down as they charge me."

Then the first thing to turn the corner is a bloater so I said FUCK THAT and just sprinted to the card reader.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

As soon as I turned on the generator and I heard stuff spawn I thought to myself "well okay, I've got almost a dozen shotgun shells, i'll just crouch here and mow them down as they charge me."

Then the first thing to turn the corner is a bloater so I said FUCK THAT and just sprinted to the card reader.
    Wait did you find the card first? Because I think the generator was one of the first things I did. Which, was kind of stupid in retrospect. So I had to pick the guys off one by one and just avoid the hell out of the bloater, all while frantically checking every place I could see for the dang card, having died trying to open the door previously.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Wait did you find the card first? Because I think the generator was one of the first things I did. Which, was kind of stupid in retrospect. So I had to pick the guys off one by one and just avoid the hell out of the bloater, all while frantically checking every place I could see for the dang card, having died trying to open the door previously.
    I found the door first, then the card, then the generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Just stopped for the day partway through Bill's town, just before the school
    Am I the only one who hopped into the pool outside the house right after you climb over the RV and before the school, just in case there was a Marco Polo callback?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am

so bad at this game
    At the first real part with the infected and I keep dying dangit

• Options
    Hey wanna know a fun fact?
    I'm the voice of the female infecteds you meet in the sewer.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    beavotron wrote: »

"One time I texted the girl who did the ui on that game"

People will want to touch my cel phone.

"Also she voiced a zombie."

People will want to touch me

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    hey beavo i don't know if you had anything to do with this but i really appreciated that i only ended up getting, what, one trophy? through the single player campaign. it is a game that thrives on its immersion and the balance of peripheral elements works finely enough that trophies would probably be a bother. besides, the game's too damned good. i can hunt the rest out in the coming days. weeks. decades.

That was all the game and creative directors. They were very anti anything that broke immersion.

• Options
    edited June 2013

That was all the game and creative directors. They were very anti anything that broke immersion.

Yeah, I really noticed... well, not noticing any of that stuff.

It's especially welcome considering how lately most games have been like CHEEVOS MUST HAVE CHEEVOS OR THEY WON'T PLAY OUR GAME

It usually just annoys me

Kana on
  • Options
    Fission MailedFission Mailed Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I am

so bad at this game

Stealth is mad OP, but it is fleeting.

My advice; eliminate the more mobile enemy AI first if possible. Sleeping guys will remain asleep as long as you don't do anything to wake/alert them or the other enemies in the area. Capitalize on this by choking out out more dangerous ones first and then return to the sleeping ones before you say, start combat or do some other risky gameplay.

You can do it!

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

Oh, hey, I didn't know that! Where exactly? (Gimme those spoiler tags.)

Darric on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I am

so bad at this game

Stealth is mad OP, but it is fleeting.

My advice; eliminate the more mobile enemy AI first if possible. Sleeping guys will remain asleep as long as you don't do anything to wake/alert them or the other enemies in the area. Capitalize on this by choking out out more dangerous ones first and then return to the sleeping ones before you say, start combat or do some other risky gameplay.

You can do it!

It's also really hard to cleanly stealth everyone in that section. Best to learn to move in and out of stealth as needed, you're going to need that.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    that awkward moment when you're holding your pistol to a struggling hostage's head - five or six guards with their own guns aimed at you - and you ruthlessly pull the trigger to hear a hollow click.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    This is the first game I've played - ever - where I will accept "it's not fun" as a valid argument for a well-made game

Because this game isn't fun, at all, honestly

Either I'm sneaking through a room full of Clickers and I hate my life because I know one of them's gonna fucking grab me

Or I'll try taking out a room full of dudes in various ways and I will inevitably fuck up somewhere and when I am caught it is exhausting and tense but never annoying

Like basically they made a game using the trial-and-error Hitman model that's actually good instead of just stupid bullshit

EDIT: Maybe that comes off a little harsh. Maybe this is just a different kind of fun, like enjoying a horror movie. I've never seen a horror movie I enjoyed because they're usually just poorly-made and not actually scary.

Whatever. Point is, I like what this game is doing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    you playing on hard mode, UV?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    you playing on hard mode, UV?

Yes

Also a first for me, I pretty much never do hard mode first. Typically I'll start on easy, and if I enjoy it, ramp it up each time on multiple playthroughs.