Options

I'm The Best At What I Do And What I Do Is [The Wolverine]

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The editing for man of steel definitely sucked. Scenes would just end and jump to other scenes with zero transition.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    actually there was this one scene where the superman costume totally looked bright and colorful

in comparison to all the other things

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    turns out DC's not planning on following the example of the avengers and setting up a justice league movie

they're setting up a justice lords movie

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    turns out DC's not planning on following the example of the avengers and setting up a justice league movie

You know if they really went for it, that might be a thing I would watch

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Injustice done right is totally a film I would love to see

• Options

You know if they really went for it, that might be a thing I would watch

Just have each character's movie deviate from the character in some way, with Batman's culminating in him just gunning down the Joker

Post-credits scene is the reveal of the Justice Lords, inviting Batman to join their ranks

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Lex has a pretty good argument to make against Superman in Man of Steel Two

it really throws lex luthor under the bus, actually

man of steel spoilers
    like lex luthor is a character whose tragedy is that he is a brilliant person who simply cannot believe that such goodness as superman can exist, and that he is choking humanity's potential, and that at any moment superman can snap and prove himself just as corruptible as anyone else and in that moment he becomes something not to be aspired to but to be feared
    and lex and superman could be friends and do great works but luthor makes himself superman's enemy due to mistrust and jealousy

then you throw lex luthor into the man of steel universe, and lex says "superman is a giant menace, he is strangling humanity's potential and he could never sustain being the force of good that he claims to be" and then everyone else says "whoa lex luthor is fucking right the only reason anything bad at all happened was because superman was here and thousands if not millions of people were killed in his battles and then in the end superman chose to kill someone else which shows he can in fact cross that line and what's to stop him doing it again"

and then the movie contrives a way to have lex luthor lose, even though this time he is completely right, just because he is the villain
    Letting Luthor have a point about Superman would be an inspired take on the character. It'd give him nuance and a good reason to hate Superman, rather then the usual "Superman destroying humanity potential" angle for the 5352342 time.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I just came back from Man of Steel.

I'm glad it was not the trainwreck the internet led me to believe, but I did think there were a lot of problems. There were some genuine, great moments, but as a film it's just disjointed and kind of flimsy. They did a real ham-fisted job with the scoring in a lot places too; the actual music I thought was pretty great, but it was used in a very smack-you-over-the-head sort of way and it kinda got annoying. Thematically, I don't think they did a spectacular job tying the latter half of the film to the first half, and there is almost no transition between
    "Joe" and "Superman".

It also wasn't a whole lot of fun in the way Batman Begins was, which is kind of a downer.

It over all, it was okay. Hardly the game changer that I think DC wanted it to be, but what else is new.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Stealing this from the GV thread, basically an alternative to how the final battle plays out in MoS:
    Even without the phantom zone projector, there is still a way to take away Zod's powers. They can replicate Krypton's atmosphere.

As for the "he has no choice" thing, as I mentioned earlier, all the earlier collateral damage really weakens that scene. It wasn't the first "he has no choice" scene. Superman was clearly unable to stop Zod from killing thousands of people when they were smashing through dozens of buildings so why didn't he try to use lethal force earlier?

The scene would have been much stronger if they had shown Superman saving people from the collateral damage earlier. Instead of having Zod start off with Superman's level of power, have him start out much weaker. Have Zod take advantage of Superman's compassion by intentionally causing lots of collateral damage so that Superman has fly around trying to protect/save civilians while fighting Zod at the same time. However, Zod absorbs more of the sun's energy and his strength grows as the fight continues, making it harder for Superman to save the civilians. Finally, Zod's power reaches Superman's level and Superman is no longer able to protect civilians from Zod and that's when he has to kill Zod.
    What good would replicating Krypton's atmosphere do?

It would make Superman and Zod normal, but it seems like it would kill off the population of Earth in the process

And even if it didn't, what then? They capture him and somehow revert the process? Then you've got a super-powered Zod again and no kryptonite to stop him with.

They can do it in an enclosed space.
    Knock Zod out, throw him in a specialized chamber with Kryptonian atmosphere.

I'm really confused now about
    whether it's the radiation that's the source of Superman's powers or the atmosphere. Or both? Thanks, Goyer.
    It seems to me it's a combination of things, including the lesser gravity of Earth, due to its smaller size. The implication is that The Red sun of Krypton is "less powerful" than the yellow sun of Earth, so Kryptonians have more "power hungry" cells, although neither species derives its energy directly from the sun, I assume, so it's kind of silly to make that distinction. They also clearly make a big deal, both on the Kryptonian ship and with Martha Kent's little story about how it "was so hard" for baby Clark when he first arrived on Earth, breathing and what not. It seems silly that just the "atmospherics" of the ship would be an issue for the more relevant powers in question, but there's every reason to believe that whatever artificial gravity they used would be more like Krypton's than Earths. They should have come at it from the other angle, and demonstrated how difficult it would be for Lois to even move under Kryptonian gravity, but whatever, that's hardly the worst mistake Snyder made in this film.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Superman Returns is on TV right now, and I just caught the sequence where he makes his first reappearance and saves the plane
    And whatever the other problems with that movie, I thought that was a really great scene and felt very "Superman," because he saved people and showed concern for their well-being and there's that great moment where everyone's reaction to him coming back is to flip out and start cheering like fucking crazy because they're so thrilled that he's here and everything seems a little brighter now that Superman is back, it's a really wonderful few minutes

And Brandon Routh was so delightfully cheesy with the way he delivered the "safest way to travel" line from the first Reeve movie

Problems with that movie aside, at least it was a continuation of the idea that Superman is a good thing to have in the world and people should always be happy to see him

• Options

man of steel spoilers
    like lex luthor is a character whose tragedy is that he is a brilliant person who simply cannot believe that such goodness as superman can exist, and that he is choking humanity's potential, and that at any moment superman can snap and prove himself just as corruptible as anyone else and in that moment he becomes something not to be aspired to but to be feared
    and lex and superman could be friends and do great works but luthor makes himself superman's enemy due to mistrust and jealousy

then you throw lex luthor into the man of steel universe, and lex says "superman is a giant menace, he is strangling humanity's potential and he could never sustain being the force of good that he claims to be" and then everyone else says "whoa lex luthor is fucking right the only reason anything bad at all happened was because superman was here and thousands if not millions of people were killed in his battles and then in the end superman chose to kill someone else which shows he can in fact cross that line and what's to stop him doing it again"

and then the movie contrives a way to have lex luthor lose, even though this time he is completely right, just because he is the villain
    Letting Luthor have a point about Superman would be an inspired take on the character. It'd give him nuance and a good reason to hate Superman, rather then the usual "Superman destroying humanity potential" angle for the 5352342 time.
    no.

no, it most certainly is not inspired. it is moronic.

superman represents a lot of things, but at the core I believe the key component of superman being superman is compassion. the flight and durability and super-strength are incidental, and compassion makes superman what he is. he seeks to help people, to protect them and keep them safe and even comfort them when need be, because they are people, and because helping people is just the right thing to do.

lex luthor is cynicism. lex luthor sees superman and thinks "it won't last." "he's faking it." "he's up to something." lex luthor thinks "why should I be compassionate when I cannot guarantee that others will be compassionate to me in return? Why should I be compassionate when I do not need compassion myself? What's in it for me?" as superman is the ideal of interest focused outwards towards others, lex luthor is the epitome of interest being focused on the self- and he cannot comprehend that there is actually someone selfless out there, and in so doing girds himself against them, because one day their foolish compassion will dry up and on that day luthor will be ready.

that's why the john byrne(?) reimagining of luthor as a ruthless businessman instead of a mad scientist is genius. that is an inspired take on the character, because it works with who luthor is and who we know ruthless businesspeople to be in a way that deepens him and binds him more tightly into a role that we recognize and that makes sense for him to occupy. of course luthor is a fiendish capitalist at the head of a business empire in his own name, because getting and staying in that position works perfectly with his own self-interest and cynicism and focus on ending up "ahead".

writing luthor, practically a personification of cynicism, to have legitimate grievances against and points against superman, a personification of compassion, is not inspired. it is shortsighted and stupid and childish in the same way as cloaking a work of fiction with drab colors, violence, and brutal cynicism to give it the impression of being mature. if someone in a position writing superman fiction says "hey, what if lex luthor was right?" they not only shouldn't be writing superman stories, they should probably also take a look at why they're writing fiction at all.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I just got back from this movie. I will offer the DEFINITIVE MAN OF STEEL OPINION sometime later, but right now I will leave these points.

1. Goyer is a criminal and belongs in prison.

2. Snyder's sense of pacing is the perfect example of a director's reach exceeding his grasp.

3. The casting in this film was good. Russel Crowe is great and the guy who played Superman was just the perfect big goofy bastard in parts (and directed horribly in others)

4. You know the whole last act reminded me a lot of Miracle Man, this would have been an awesome beginning to a Miracle Man franchise (conceptually, because it was still written by Goyer and directed by Snyder)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013

man of steel spoilers

no.

no, it most certainly is not inspired. it is moronic.

superman represents a lot of things, but at the core I believe the key component of superman being superman is compassion. the flight and durability and super-strength are incidental, and compassion makes superman what he is. he seeks to help people, to protect them and keep them safe and even comfort them when need be, because they are people, and because helping people is just the right thing to do.

lex luthor is cynicism. lex luthor sees superman and thinks "it won't last." "he's faking it." "he's up to something." lex luthor thinks "why should I be compassionate when I cannot guarantee that others will be compassionate to me in return? Why should I be compassionate when I do not need compassion myself? What's in it for me?" as superman is the ideal of interest focused outwards towards others, lex luthor is the epitome of interest being focused on the self- and he cannot comprehend that there is actually someone selfless out there, and in so doing girds himself against them, because one day their foolish compassion will dry up and on that day luthor will be ready.

that's why the john byrne(?) reimagining of luthor as a ruthless businessman instead of a mad scientist is genius. that is an inspired take on the character, because it works with who luthor is and who we know ruthless businesspeople to be in a way that deepens him and binds him more tightly into a role that we recognize and that makes sense for him to occupy. of course luthor is a fiendish capitalist at the head of a business empire in his own name, because getting and staying in that position works perfectly with his own self-interest and cynicism and focus on ending up "ahead".

writing luthor, practically a personification of cynicism, to have legitimate grievances against and points against superman, a personification of compassion, is not inspired. it is shortsighted and stupid and childish in the same way as cloaking a work of fiction with drab colors, violence, and brutal cynicism to give it the impression of being mature. if someone in a position writing superman fiction says "hey, what if lex luthor was right?" they not only shouldn't be writing superman stories, they should probably also take a look at why they're writing fiction at all.
    Luthor having a good reason to be against Superman doesn't mean he can't still be an asshole whose wrong about Superman at the end of the day. The sequel can subvert this by having Superman being a changed person who learnt from his experiences in Man of Steel so he's not so inexperienced or irresponsible in battle. It'd be a grayer interpretation then their relationship is typical portrayed and give Lex greater depth as a character rather then keeping him as a shallow cynical villain. Both sides can be right without ruining either character. This can add complexity, though I don't think Goyer is the guy who can write such a script properly.

Luthor having a point about Superman being dangerous doesn't mean he can't also be self interested or a fiendish capitalist. That said, like I said above it doesn't mean he still can't be wrong about Superman, either. That's why it'd be a grey area not a black and white one that you incorrectly assume I meant. Amanda Waller went through a similar phase during the Cadmus arc in Justice League Unlimited.

This Luthor also needs to be consistent with this new movie universe the movie started. They're going to update the character anyway so why not explore new territory most adaptions haven't? Creators putting their own spins on established characters isn't always a bad thing. Whether they'd succeed doing that with Luthor remains unknown, of course. They might have other plans for the character anyway.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    If anyone, if anyone defends the dialogue in this movie, I will poop in their sock drawer.

Some of the actors got around this but when I find myself actively rewriting lines of dialogue in my head as I watch a film, becoming an editor instead of a viewer, something horrible has happened

If it happens once or twice in a movie, whatever, no script is perfect, but in this picture it happened all the time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I dunno if anyone mentioned it but the Wall Street Journal is reporting that WB is fast tracking Man of Steel 2 for next year and Justice League for 2015.

Avengers 2, Justice League and Star Wars 7 all in one summer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I just got back from this movie. I will offer the DEFINITIVE MAN OF STEEL OPINION sometime later, but right now I will leave these points.

1. Goyer is a criminal and belongs in prison.

2. Snyder's sense of pacing is the perfect example of a director's reach exceeding his grasp.

3. The casting in this film was good. Russel Crowe is great and the guy who played Superman was just the perfect big goofy bastard in parts (and directed horribly in others)

4. You know the whole last act reminded me a lot of Miracle Man, this would have been an awesome beginning to a Miracle Man franchise (conceptually, because it was still written by Goyer and directed by Snyder)

You need to include Snyder, his boss, and his co-writer Chris Nolan then. Goyer didn't write the film by himself and is the lowest on the food chain between the three, even if he did.

• Options
    One of those things is not like the others, one of those things just doesn't belong

And I'm not talking about Star Wars

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    9sOkA0B.png
    if mtmte actually ends at 22

i will make a list of people who didnt buy it

i will find you

and i will kill you

• Options
    So you will kill the vast majority of the human population?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think that might be a big list, my friend

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

yes

and it will be an idyllic paradise

• Options

hey the plan was good enough for ra's al ghul

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I dunno if anyone mentioned it but the Wall Street Journal is reporting that WB is fast tracking Man of Steel 2 for next year and Justice League for 2015.

Um...

Aren't they forgetting something?

Or are they not gonna do a Batman movie before Justice League?

• Options
    Ra's only wanted to kill like, half!

You are more radical than the League of Assassins!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Um...

They have said Batman is gonna take a break for a while

The reported solo films being developed are Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Um...

They need to make a World's Finest movie to introduce their new Batman before Justice League IMO.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or does a year seems like an awfully short timeframe to fast track a sequel?

I mean if they were shooting it lotr-style to begin with, that's one thing, but it seems like not a lot of time if they're spinning things up as of now.

• Options
    It is pretty short but doable.

First Class had a similar schedule.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

yes

and it will be an idyllic paradise

If the apocalypse is like RPM then deal

• Options
    Is it just me, or does a year seems like an awfully short timeframe to fast track a sequel?

I mean if they were shooting it lotr-style to begin with, that's one thing, but it seems like not a lot of time if they're spinning things up as of now.

It worked for Saw!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    9sOkA0B.png

i will find you

and i will kill you

Antimatter you will hate me for saying this but what the fuck is mtmte?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    9sOkA0B.png

i will find you

and i will kill you

More Than Meets The Eye. It's a comic about robots. In space.

It is good.

• Options
    Ra's only wanted to kill like, half!

You are more radical than the League of Assassins!

Bane posts at Penny Arcade. :lol:

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    9sOkA0B.png

i will find you

and i will kill you

More Than Meets The Eye. It's a comic about robots. In space.

It is good.

Oh I thought it was a DC book.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    mMlVRuS.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If anyone, if anyone defends the dialogue in this movie, I will poop in their sock drawer.

Some of the actors got around this but when I find myself actively rewriting lines of dialogue in my head as I watch a film, becoming an editor instead of a viewer, something horrible has happened

If it happens once or twice in a movie, whatever, no script is perfect, but in this picture it happened all the time

Some of it was okay. A lot of it was not.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Superman Returns is on TV right now, and I just caught the sequence where he makes his first reappearance and saves the plane
    And whatever the other problems with that movie, I thought that was a really great scene and felt very "Superman," because he saved people and showed concern for their well-being and there's that great moment where everyone's reaction to him coming back is to flip out and start cheering like fucking crazy because they're so thrilled that he's here and everything seems a little brighter now that Superman is back, it's a really wonderful few minutes

And Brandon Routh was so delightfully cheesy with the way he delivered the "safest way to travel" line from the first Reeve movie

Problems with that movie aside, at least it was a continuation of the idea that Superman is a good thing to have in the world and people should always be happy to see him

I won't argue it got the Superman concept much better than MoS but it's still a terrible film and even if my opinion of MoS still drops overtime I'd rather watch it than SR.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There were a few good lines in the movie.

I mean, they were lifted straight from Birthright and All-Star Superman out of context, but they were still good lines.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay?

This discussion has been closed.