As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pork [Chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Big news happening in Texas. Meanwhile, on CNN:

BNqc8vuCMAAXDRc.jpg

to be fair, it really doesn't matter. override can testify as to the utter irrelevance of trying to intimidate representatives already in office with a studiously non-violent mob. The only interesting decisionmaker here is the Federal Supreme Court, really.

every day this law is delayed is a day that a woman in Texas who needs an abortion has one less hurdle to jump.

Considering Texas is #3 for teen pregnancies and #1 for repeat teen pregnancies, it's probably even more than just a woman this matters to.

I'm not even sure what this means, but the fact that I read it as something pretty fucking virulent means I need to leave [chat].

It means the supposed "Pro Life" movement in your state causes more abortions than it prevents through suppressed education and an aversion to medical and scientific understanding of problems that are inconvenient to stunted morality.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    this texas stuff is just nuts

to offer lighter fare, getting a few mason jars and picking your own veggies (and certain fruits!) is a super cheap way to make your own cheap, delicious snacks

Do you pickle garlic?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    CCP can afford to cruise on its earlier successes. It fucks up a lot, and when it does it has a loyal fanbase that supports a game that despite its flaws is so unique that its players can't go anywhere else.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i like to go to my market and pick up whatever veg (or season bountiful veg/fruit) is on sale and pickle it to see how it turns out

that's how i discovered pickled ramps are the fucking DELICIOUS

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My plan back in the day was to make a dedicated mining account in EvE, and use it to pay for its own monthly game time and just send the excess straight to my mercenary in Dust 514.

But then Dust 514 turned out to be really bad.

That is a bad plan for a whole host of reasons.

Also, give dust time.

CCP develop games on very different timescale to other developers.

Eh, by the time they have it anywhere near something fun Destiny, The Division and Titanfall will all be out. And even with huge improvement Dust 514 won't be able to touch any of those.

And when those games are dead and gone Dust will still be there with bigger player population than ever.

Destiny is going to be around for a decade so, that is a long ways out.

You are mightily optimistic.

That is Destiny's stated gameplan, according to Bungie and Activision. Halo went for for a decade so I don't see why Destiny shouldn't

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Picked bananas

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Picked bananas

All my pickled nightmares.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My plan back in the day was to make a dedicated mining account in EvE, and use it to pay for its own monthly game time and just send the excess straight to my mercenary in Dust 514.

Also, give dust time.

Eh, by the time they have it anywhere near something fun Destiny, The Division and Titanfall will all be out. And even with huge improvement Dust 514 won't be able to touch any of those.

And when those games are dead and gone Dust will still be there with bigger player population than ever.

You are as optimistic about Dust as he is about Destiny.

Dust is pulling in revenue and developed by a company that has a good track record for this stuff.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    It's the modern GOP, at the state level, made up of tea party idiots and corporate shills, I doubt most of them understand how anything works.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Also, give dust time.

Dust is pulling in revenue and developed by a company that has a good track record for this stuff.

CCP has a good track record of holding people hostage because they're the only game in town.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Picked bananas

Why are you so terrible? First you forgot to get ham, now you want to pickle crazy things. What next?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the threat of a low-level democratic body being hijacked by an organized concentrated interest because its local opposition is too diffuse is an omnipresent one

the only real permanent cure is to dissolve the body and revert its powers to a sufficiently senior level of representation, such that elected representatives are actually representative, due to a diffusion of interest imposed by sheer size

all American states are arguably too small, even California and Texas, since both tend to be dominated by one of their national parties each. But "dissolve Texas" is hardly going to be on the average American's political horizon.

The problem is that sufficient popular support in elections is unduly difficult by design of those in power.

I'm sorry, if you're expecting even well-run democracies to continually probe for opposition, you're going to be permanently disappointed

(for the sake of consistency, I should point out that I have argued before on [chat] that deliberately hampering populism under the weight of bureaucratic institutions is a big part of stabilizing a liberal welfare state. You want the kind of people who can mobilize "popular support" at local levels to stay far, far away from the reins of power. Only distant bureaucrats poll; all votes are driven by enthusiasm, and all local enthusiasm is driven by concentrated interest.)

I would posit there's a difference between probing for opposition and rigging the system to ensure a lack of opposition.

nope

there is no body here that can deliver an uncontested opinion on just how much give an incumbent majority is obliged to let the loyal opposition have

noting that your country has vigorous notions on what constitute legitimate kinds of electoral districts to begin with, and won't readily tolerate, e.g., non-geographical seats. I have no clue why you think this stuff has some simple uncontested point of fairness.

I don't think you have a firm grasp on how districting works in practice in the US maybe?

Gerrymandering isn't just some dream someone came up with to explain why Republicans continue to control legislatures with less than a majority of votes.

I know what gerrymandering is, thanks

I also know that your country cannot tolerate any of the 'mathematical' solutions because of ethnic enfranchisement concerns, but won't tolerate dedicated non-geographical ethnic representation either, or non-equal votes of representatives

so, out of a balance of political imperatives, you've wound up with a system where continual adjustment of electoral boundaries is necessary, and you are shocked, shocked! that this has forced your governments to retain archaic politicking over the drawing of these boundaries

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CCP's way of developing things is releasing something okay and then adding to it until it's better and then worse and then okay and then WORSE and then whatever fuck this I'm either addicted or I'm gonna escape and live a good long life.

It's release something unique, develop a stable core player population, continue development at the rate that population can fund, lol 10 years later game is still running and more successful than ever.

This is true for EVE, 100%.

Sadly this is not true for Dust 514, that turned out to be very generic. I mean, yes, it has a persistent world but so does Destiny and The Division so its not that special on that front.

You played it what, in beta? Even now they're only just scratching the surface of the stuff they're going to add.

No I played it once it got out of beta. They would have to practically completely overhaul the game and rework core mechanics to make it non-generic.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Also, give dust time.

Destiny is being made by Bungie, who long ago had to reinforce their plumbing because they shit solid gold. Nobody is going to lose money on Destiny.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    A couple years ago we grew a bunch of pickling cucumbers. But when it came time to pickle them, Mom decided to use a salt brine instead of a vinegar brine.

A whole years worth of "pickles" were rendered completely inedible.

But the good news is, a jar of pickles at the store is pretty cheap, and it doesn't taste like I just drank seawater.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

Also, give dust time.

That is Destiny's stated gameplan, according to Bungie and Activision. Halo went for for a decade so I don't see why Destiny shouldn't

Strange, I don't remember anyone still playing Halo 1 in 2011.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

to offer lighter fare, getting a few mason jars and picking your own veggies (and certain fruits!) is a super cheap way to make your own cheap, delicious snacks

Do you pickle garlic?

Sweet pickled garlic is delicious

Also sort of disgusting, in that oh god now I sweat garlic kind of way

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Sen. Uresti: Senate Journal clerk has the vote on SB5 started at 12:02. #txlege

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Also, give dust time.

Destiny is being made by Bungie, who long ago had to reinforce their plumbing because they shit solid gold. Nobody is going to lose money on Destiny.

Hint: they don't need to lose money for it to stop being worth continuing development long before 10 years is up.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Also, give dust time.

a-hem

HaloCEA_boxart.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    CCP's way of developing things is releasing something okay and then adding to it until it's better and then worse and then okay and then WORSE and then whatever fuck this I'm either addicted or I'm gonna escape and live a good long life.

It's release something unique, develop a stable core player population, continue development at the rate that population can fund, lol 10 years later game is still running and more successful than ever.

Sadly this is not true for Dust 514, that turned out to be very generic. I mean, yes, it has a persistent world but so does Destiny and The Division so its not that special on that front.

You played it what, in beta? Even now they're only just scratching the surface of the stuff they're going to add.

I want more time spent on World of Darkness, to be honest.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Picked bananas

Why are you so terrible? First you forgot to get ham, now you want to pickle crazy things. What next?

A9ewoGd.jpg

• Options

Also, give dust time.

Destiny is a series of games, you know, like mass effect. No need to be intentionally obtuse.

• Options
    the hamfinding was unsuccessful, m_j?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    https://www.texastribune.org/donate/

if you watched the feed on the Texas Trib site, and feel generous.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the threat of a low-level democratic body being hijacked by an organized concentrated interest because its local opposition is too diffuse is an omnipresent one

the only real permanent cure is to dissolve the body and revert its powers to a sufficiently senior level of representation, such that elected representatives are actually representative, due to a diffusion of interest imposed by sheer size

all American states are arguably too small, even California and Texas, since both tend to be dominated by one of their national parties each. But "dissolve Texas" is hardly going to be on the average American's political horizon.

The problem is that sufficient popular support in elections is unduly difficult by design of those in power.

I'm sorry, if you're expecting even well-run democracies to continually probe for opposition, you're going to be permanently disappointed

(for the sake of consistency, I should point out that I have argued before on [chat] that deliberately hampering populism under the weight of bureaucratic institutions is a big part of stabilizing a liberal welfare state. You want the kind of people who can mobilize "popular support" at local levels to stay far, far away from the reins of power. Only distant bureaucrats poll; all votes are driven by enthusiasm, and all local enthusiasm is driven by concentrated interest.)

I would posit there's a difference between probing for opposition and rigging the system to ensure a lack of opposition.

nope

there is no body here that can deliver an uncontested opinion on just how much give an incumbent majority is obliged to let the loyal opposition have

noting that your country has vigorous notions on what constitute legitimate kinds of electoral districts to begin with, and won't readily tolerate, e.g., non-geographical seats. I have no clue why you think this stuff has some simple uncontested point of fairness.

I don't think you have a firm grasp on how districting works in practice in the US maybe?

Gerrymandering isn't just some dream someone came up with to explain why Republicans continue to control legislatures with less than a majority of votes.

I also know that your country cannot tolerate any of the 'mathematical' solutions because of ethnic enfranchisement concerns, but won't tolerate dedicated non-geographical ethnic representation either, or non-equal votes of representatives

so, out of a balance of political imperatives, you've wound up with a system where continual adjustment of electoral boundaries is necessary, and you are shocked, shocked! that this has forced your governments to retain archaic politicking over the drawing of these boundaries

Are you seriously just saying DWI in regards to how fucked up our legislature is?

I really don't get your point here, unless it's just dismissive, wanking pragmatism.

• Options
    The remaining senators in the chamber being asked to caucus behind closed dors to resolve the evening's disarray. Some are refusing. #txlege

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2013
    ... so they did just edit the legal logging of their votes.

How fucking skeevy does this have to get before the federal government can step in and smack them about the head and shoulders?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

I want more time spent on World of Darkness, to be honest.

They were overextending themselves trying to do prelaunch development on both Dust and WoD. Once is Dust is solidly up and running they'll expand the WoD dev team.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Do you have some sort of guide to pickling I could use?

pickling is super easy

everyone has their own recipe, but mostly it comes down to vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, cinnamon (or allspice/jamaican pepper) and bay leaf, and everything else is preference

(btw, the same basic premise applies for brining meats)

you want your pickles (my faves being cucumbers, peppers, and fennel) to sit in the brine long enough that the vinegar breaks them down a bit and infuses the brine flavor in them

once you get that down, you can branch out and make stuff like salsas

pickled jalapeño and red onion salsa is one of the spiciest things ever if you let it sit for long enough, but GOD DAMN it is so delicious

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Also, give dust time.

Hint: they don't need to lose money for it to stop being worth continuing development long before 10 years is up.

no it just needs to stop raking it in by the shovelful.

which if they manage to get even close to another halo, it won't

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Thanks Poldy.

• Options

Do you pickle garlic?

no but that sounds delicious!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    the hamfinding was unsuccessful, m_j?
    It remains on my to do list. Maybe I could have stolen one from the ham, wine and parmesan cellar last night. I would have had to fight that man for it though and he had a knife

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    ... so they did just edit the legal logging of their votes.

How fucking skeevy does this have to get before the federal government can step in and smack them about the head and shoulders?

Are they betting on "as skeevy as they fucking want" based on today's SCOTUS ruling?

• Options

nope

Are you seriously just saying DWI in regards to how fucked up our legislature is?

I really don't get your point here, unless it's just dismissive, wanking pragmatism.

no, I am asking you to accept that there is no uncontested level of obligation toward the opposition in American political culture, because (for complicated reasons) all the systems where such a level of obligation would either be cleanly identified or would not be necessary are all intolerable

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Alright, it's 1:30 and I'm tired. Time to sleep. @ me if they actually decide anything tonight.

• Options

Also, give dust time.

no it just needs to stop raking it in by the shovelful.

which if they manage to get even close to another halo, it won't

How long did they continue post release development on Halo?

or Halo 2?

or Halo 3?

or Halo ODST?

or Halo Reach?

Halo 4?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

nope

no, I am asking you to accept that there is no uncontested level of obligation toward the opposition in American political culture, because (for complicated reasons) all the systems where such a level of obligation would either be cleanly identified or would not be necessary are all intolerable

ergo ____ ?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

Also, give dust time.

Destiny is a series of games, you know, like mass effect. No need to be intentionally obtuse.

I really need to do a better job at keeping up to date on Destiny since it's one of the games that has piqued my interest. I didn't realize they were going to make it a series of games instead of an MMO with possible expansions if it does well enough.

This discussion has been closed.