As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL]: Can Seattle Take the Vegas Front Office in the Expansion Draft?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    i hate pims as well but it's so ingrained that everyone uses it. blocks really wouldn't be viable, it wouldn't add enough value to the guys that get huge block totals as they typically have very low scoring stats.

plus/minus might be the most bullshit stat in all of competitive sports, please don't use it.

Blocks would be good for forcing people to take some defensemen that aren't just no defense points getters. But I'm not really heavily campaigning for them, especially since they're not really that valuable by themselves as it is. There just aren't a lot of stats that are really good and I wanted to get up to the 7 I suggested. I guess PIM and hits would work, but I really don't like having both of those, since PIMs are what I said and hits are so subjective and again, not actually that valuable. But still more valuable than PIMs which have negative value.

I hate +/- too, but if we're going to use PIMs then why not? At least +/- has a slight correlation to positive value. I wouldn't be against not including it but then we're looking at 5/3, or 5/4 if we want to add shutouts, which I don't want to because there are just too few of them to be a viable category. It would be like complete games in baseball. Some weeks a team might win with 1 in a week and that's just kind of dumb.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Did I post in here that Ogie Oglethorpe of Slapshot fame got his own movie? 'Cause he did. It looks awful.
    But anyway, don't we include PIMs to get the fighters and plumbers everyone loves a chance to be statistically significant? Beats getting into the late rounds, not knowing who these guys are, and hoping one of them gets a hot scoring touch

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Adding PIMs also makes nights like this more epic: nhl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?id=2013010061

Don't think I can embed this video, sadly: video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=446674&lang=en&navid=DL|TOR|home

• Options
    !!!!

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    awesome, so because zach kassian and dale weise are pieces of shit, sam gagner is out for 8 weeks and mact just went brain dead and picked up steve macintyre on waivers.

so we have no center depth still, but at least we have a guy that can play 3 minutes for 25 games. steve macintyre is a really nice guy, and i don't wish him any ill, but he isn't a fucking hockey player and has no business on a roster. in his one full year in edmonton, only 3 oiler forwards played 70 games. taylor hall injured himself fighting while he was on the roster for the love of gord.

Angry on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So my boss invited me and a bunch of other people from head office and some venue managers (I work in head office of a hospitality company that runs bars/restaurants/hostels) to a Canucks game this Thursday. I thought we were going to be using our crappy nosebleed season tickets we sell to tourists, but it turns out one of our beer suppliers offered us their corporate box, complete with free food and booze! I am stoked. Basically this makes up for by boss being too cheap to throw a christmas party.

Also the Canucks are hosting the Devils in a couple weeks and I'll finally be able to watch my favourite team play live.

I am so glad to have a full season again you guys.

• Options
    LTM wrote: »
    Adding PIMs also makes nights like this more epic: nhl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?id=2013010061

Don't think I can embed this video, sadly: video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=446674&lang=en&navid=DL|TOR|home

Reading around the internet today and the amount of people who are praising Kessell for using his stick like a club and trying to break that guy's ankle because Scott is a "goon with zero hockey talent" is kind of upsetting.

If you don't want to fight the dude because he's got a foot and 80 pounds on you, that's fine. But you don't have to swing for the bleachers after he's been subdued.

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Sorry for kind of asking a question and then disappearing for a while. New girl and all that jazz.

I've always been a big fan of PIMs as a trackable stat, just because it's the only reason why you'd draft the grit guys like Colton Orr or makes a player like Lucic or Simmonds(or Clarky when he isn't going to be suspended) a lot more valuable. That and a lot of the other point options are really situation specific, like shorthanded anything.

Someone asked about scoring for each category, basically it's head to head so whoever has more goals wins the goals category and gets 1 point in the head to head score. So if I my team has more goals, assists, shots, wins, SV% and shutouts and your teams has more PIMS, PPP, saves, and hits. My team would win that week with a score of 6-4.

I'm trying to keep it at 10 categories tracked, so how does this sound: Goals, Assists, PIMs, PPP, Shots, Hits, Wins, GAA, SV%, and...uh...shutouts or saves, I guess? Shutouts are infrequent which kind of sucks and becomes a split point and saves and SV% doesn't seem redundant enough to say no in favor of things like shots against or losses.

• Options
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I've always been a big fan of PIMs as a trackable stat, just because it's the only reason why you'd draft the grit guys like Colton Orr or makes a player like Lucic or Simmonds(or Clarky when he isn't going to be suspended) a lot more valuable.

My counterpoint to this would be, why do we even want to draft goons in the first place?

But I'm fine with those stats, although I'd probably prefer shutouts over saves because at least they're not redundant with SV% already included.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

Reading around the internet today and the amount of people who are praising Kessell for using his stick like a club and trying to break that guy's ankle because Scott is a "goon with zero hockey talent" is kind of upsetting.

If you don't want to fight the dude because he's got a foot and 80 pounds on you, that's fine. But you don't have to swing for the bleachers after he's been subdued.

Then going back and spearing him in the ribs after the refs have gotten everyone under control.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

Then going back and spearing him in the ribs after the refs have gotten everyone under control.

Seriously.

What a scumbag.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I for one am cheering for Kessel to have a good year because I know the better he does, the more pissed off the Toronto Star is going to get.

Unless, of course, he signs and avoids free agency - then I won't care anymore.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    kessel also instigated scott at the draw.

listening to randy carlyle whine about "the code" is hilarious. kessel thought he was untouchable and scott reached out and touched him. they're lucky that scott wasn't actually of the mind to throttle kessel.

• Options
    kassian suspended for 5 regular season games.

doesn't matter, he's a worthless plug and gagner still has a busted jaw.

• Options
    edited September 2013

listening to randy carlyle whine about "the code" is hilarious. kessel thought he was untouchable and scott reached out and touched him. they're lucky that scott wasn't actually of the mind to throttle kessel.

I dunno, that's not how it looked to me. It looked like Kessel was surprised and knew he was gonna get his ass beat. He acted like a bitch once he saw that was gonna go down, but it didn't look to me like he instigated.

EDIT: But I guess Kessel's only getting a phone call tomorrow, so probably just a fine?

chromdom on
  • Options
    Schide wrote: »
    I've always been a big fan of PIMs as a trackable stat, just because it's the only reason why you'd draft the grit guys like Colton Orr or makes a player like Lucic or Simmonds(or Clarky when he isn't going to be suspended) a lot more valuable.

My counterpoint to this would be, why do we even want to draft goons in the first place?

But I'm fine with those stats, although I'd probably prefer shutouts over saves because at least they're not redundant with SV% already included.

This is meant to be in good humor and not argumentative, when a guy like Teemu scores two goals, an assist, and then gets a game misconduct at the end I have way more fun with that. Just imagine the PIM importance back in the days of the Avs-Redwings rivalry.

The league is sort of set up, so if I've let out something obviously important let me know.
    http://y.ahoo.it/tQOvMIgc

• Options
    sam gagner put up a picture of the remnants of his face.

i feel bad for that young man.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

I dunno, that's not how it looked to me. It looked like Kessel was surprised and knew he was gonna get his ass beat. He acted like a bitch once he saw that was gonna go down, but it didn't look to me like he instigated.

EDIT: But I guess Kessel's only getting a phone call tomorrow, so probably just a fine?

kessel was surprised. he was surprised that the giant man next to him that he taunted before puck drop didn't just let him go with a free pass. and really, you can tell that scott doesn't really try and pummel him, he gives up the chase immediately. he could have easily reeled kessel back in.

kessel should be suspended at least 3 games. that kind of stick work is exactly the type of thing the nhl doesn't want out on the highlights and kessel took 3 cheap shots at a tied up player. he escaped completely unharmed but that wasn't enough for him.

listening to kadri, "i would have done the same thing too", well you're a little shit as well.

• Options
    Sam Gagner's head has another Sam Gagner's head starting to grow out of it.

• Options
    kessel suspended for 3 fake games.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    So you were sorta right?
    Kessel won't lose any money (unless there was also a fine?), but would something like this get him on a Repeat Offender status if he, for example, boarded someone? Or does preseason assault with a deadly weapon not count?

chromdom on
  • Options
    he'll be on the repeat offender list but all the nhl did is give him a 3 game vacation. what ever, it's done.

• Options
    Also, just a big ol' reminder that the league is open and that the draft is tentatively set for Sunday at 6PM EST. So sign up or yell at me to change the draft time!

• Options
    We're gonna need more than 2 people.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Whare be da linkage?

Sorry, I was just reading about 40K orks in the tabletop thread

EDIT: Nebber minds, I founds it.

Goddamit, fuckin' orks.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Reminder:
    Also, just a big ol' reminder that the league is open and that the draft is tentatively set for Sunday at 6PM EST. So sign up or yell at me to change the draft time!
    http://y.ahoo.it/tQOvMIgc

Actually, one of my buddies wants to take me out for a few drinks this afternoon. As of right now, I am planning on doing this thing, but if it's changed, lemme know, would ya?

• Options
    We're gonna need more than 4 teams.

• Options
    Every team's an all-star team?
    Must draft at least 4 rookies?

• Options
    So does this mean it's off? 'Cause my buddy just called and wants to head out, but we had been talking about 90 minutes from now...

• Options
    We have an odd number so it won't let us draft right now anyways. I can't find the setting to let me change the draft day now though.

• Options
    I pushed the draft back a week for the time being while we track down people to sign up. My roommate will play to get us to an even number, but if anyone else wants to sign up or knows someone who wants to sign up, go for it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Am I too late for fantasy?

• Options
    I'll sign up if you want to fill spots, but I'll likely autodraft, and will probably suck.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I'll sign up if you want to fill spots, but I'll likely autodraft, and will probably suck.

Same here.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    You guys know what day today is?

GAMEDAY MOTHERFUCKERS

No more Whose Line preseason hockey. It's the real deal.

We have 85 straight days of hockey with no breaks until Christmas.

And then the next break will be for the Olympics. USA! USA! USA!

• Options
    the no center depth oilers open up the season with a win over the vastly overrated and poorly coached jets in the first jets-oilers game held in rexall place since 1996.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    damnit

toronto game is available for whatever reason on GameCenter

and the blackhawks game is blacked out

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    All the games that are played on NBC Sports or NHL Network are blacked out on Gamecenter. I think if you proxy to a European country you can watch the nationally broadcast games on Gamecenter though.

Grabovski took one game to start his 82 game long demonstration of why Carlyle is a moron.

• Options
    All the games that are played on NBC Sports or NHL Network are blacked out on Gamecenter. I think if you proxy to a European country you can watch the nationally broadcast games on Gamecenter though.

Grabovski took one game to start his 82 game long demonstration of why Carlyle is a moron.

The proxy thing didn't work last year, I don't think. I remember people in Europe complaining about not being able to see them either.

Also, some good hockey last night, if you don't count the goaltending.

• Options
    :(
    Goaltending is why I watch hockey.