As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL]: Can Seattle Take the Vegas Front Office in the Expansion Draft?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I have a team now.

Luckily I remembered to actually draft it (stating in the third round).

EDIT: And I only drafted one player on IR and one that is NA!

Schide on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i actually like calgary this year. they are utter underdogs since iginla got traded, but it's also since then that they've been really consistent with their attack and hard to beat. i've always just hated them due to the division rivalry or whatever, but a corner's been turned and i really hope they surprise everyone. considering their roster, they deserve it.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    since iginla was traded they're like .300.

they've been in rebuild mode for 3 years but wouldn't admit it, that's why they got absolutely nothing for iginla and bou. it's been an absolute joy watching feaster destroy that franchise.

Angry on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Three! Three games for the Flyers to fire Laviolette! Ah! Ah! Ah!

O70HilR.jpg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I can't say I'm surprised, he's been on shaky ground for a while and I didn't think it'd take much for him to get canned.

Does anybody have an impression of Craig Berube? I know the name and I can look up his records but is he a cool good coach or just some dude?

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    he's only ever coached your ahl affiliate and been an assistant for the flyers so you're probably in a better position than us to tell.

holmgren is your problem though. how many people are gonna take the fall for him?

• Options
    I'm an idiot, I knew the name from when he was a player. Ok so I'm not upset about the hiring, the Phantoms have been pretty consistently good in the AHL.

Holmgren's all the fuck over the place with this roster, I don't even know what to say about it. He seems totally unwilling to commit to rebuilding via younger players and accept a really bad season or two but that leads to him paying way too much for vets and shipping off promising young players and none of this is news but I haven't vented about it in a while. I don't think he's done a good job as GM for a while now and I wish I knew what it would take to get rid of him. I will never get over them trading Bobrovsky, which I ranted about at the time and the fact that he won the Vezina only validates what I was saying.

• Options
    I think a big part of Holmgren's problem is the whole Paul Holmgren thing with the added fact that Ed Snider constantly sticks his finger in the Flyer's pie without any thought to what Lavy or Holmgren are doing.

Laviolette's system was one that was based entirely off of the assumption that you have puck moving defensemen that can spring the forwards into the offensive zone with speed and when Pronger went down and Timmonen got old Holmgren went out and replaced those guys with Broad Street Bully defenseman that don't know what to do with the puck in the neutral zone. So there's three levels of management there that just aren't in any kind of synch.

• Options
    Yeah, what he said, better than me.

• Options
    here's a gif i think we can all enjoy.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3346935/jetsfail.gif

• Options
    I feel bad for Bogo on that one. You can see where his skate hits some bad ice and skips on him when he whiffs it. And then that kind of iffy roughing penalty at the end.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    hee hee hee

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    here's a gif i think we can all enjoy.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3346935/jetsfail.gif

The fact that Corey Perry scored that goal should mean that no one should enjoy it.

• Options
    Agreed. But it's still funny.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    AAAAAAHAHAHAHA

OH MY SIDES

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    edit: wrong thread!

while i'm here, how about those oilers?

*scratches head*

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    yeah i don't know.

i mean, that slow plodding game is what new jersey does to teams and it wasn't like the game on saturday where the canucks just shit kicked them, but going in to the third i had pretty much given up on the game. then for 18 minutes in the third the oilers just fucking impose their will on the devils.

we'll see in a month where this team is at. eakins system seems like it could be a winner, but it takes total buy in from everyone.

at least rnh is back. he's so damn good.

• Options
    Oh, and rnh played 28 minutes.

As a forward.

In his first game in 6 months.

What the fuuuuck.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    How about that Jonathon Quick?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    For the first two periods where I was at girl's house, not watching the game, the Devils kicked ass. The second I get home and start watching, shit hits the fan. Hmmm.

This is going to be one of those years where I don't get to actually watch any Devils games.

On the plus side, we scored goals!

• Options
    I just realized that this week is still considered week 1 for fantasy and we don't start our league until next week.

So I guess it's good that Mike Smith start from last night doesn't count for me.

• Options
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/10/canucks-vs-hertl-gameday-what-we-learned/
    Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:

“Shut up, have you ever played the game?”

When the press turned his way, he then added:

“I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it.”

OK, then.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I absolutely love the quote and agree with the sentiment, but because it's Thornton, my immediate response was:

...and if it was the playoffs he'd get halfway done and it'd go limp.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    it's a fantastic quote.

fuck anyone who was upset by that goal, fuck anyone who has ever muttered the phrase "it's a respectful game."

give me highlight reel goals all day long.

• Options
    i've been a defender of dubnyk for a while, but the dude is a fucking tire fire this year.

• Options
    the sharks are incredible this year.

how do you average more than 40 shots per game?

the sharks were first in shot differential and the sens fifth going in to tonight and the sharks outshot them by 27. they put almost a hundred pucks towards the net.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    With the reduction in size of goal pads, it seems like we're seeing a lot more five hole goals this season.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Fantasy league has started, yes? I'm at Harrah's Tahoe and am thinking about putting a few dollars down for some of my boys

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I really do feel sorry for Luongo on that goal.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    it was 100% hamhuis' fault and he didn't even say anything on the ice.

luongo was visibly pissed the rest of that game.

• Options
    hamhuis has been bizarrely bad this season. he's making a whole bunch of sloppy errors... i'm sure he'll shape up, but until then, i'm a little worried.

the good news for the canucks' D is that ryan stanton ended up being a really good pickup.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    So it just occurred to me why it felt like my roster was so damn small. I didn't set it up to have three dedicated goalie slots so one of the bench slots is taken by a goalie.

It's after the draft so I can't add more actual roster spots, but I can up the number of bench, NA and IR spots. So if no one is especially opposed to the idea, I was going to add another bench spot.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I finally logged in to check my team. I don't even know what I'd do with another bench spot in this small of a league.

• Options
    So the sharks are by far and away the best team so far.

• Options
    You mean second, behind the Avalanche.

As everyone predicted!

• Options
    RadiojockRadiojock Calgary, ABRegistered User regular
    Shot in the dark here, but would any of you be interested in 48+ hrs of NHL14 to raise money for Child's Play?

This year's NHL Lock-IN is accepting new teams, and I'd love to have some new blood (esp people already IN the PA forums) join up.

Dec 6/7/8, A full season in one weekend, online... was a blast last year, raised a bit of coin, too.

More info here, including how to get at me.

/Living in Calgary, I can agree with that "won't admit the rebuild". Holy high hell, people here get super fired up if you so much as suggest it. Bringing in Burke, at least, should make for a sh&t ton more fun on the media side... which I'm on... Glad to See Monahan here tearing it up, even if he gets popped out at the end of 9 games.

• Options
    fuck the Oilers are nothing if not consistent.

I can see why Calgary doesn't want to be 'rebuilding'. It doesn't seem to get you too far.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Kippa finally retiring should have been the tipping point for Calgary fans. They could probably keep pretending they were going to be competitive up until that point.

Now with Ramo and...I don't even know, you have to admit to yourself that you're gunning for a top pick.

• Options
    Decius wrote: »
    fuck the Oilers are nothing if not consistent.

I can see why Calgary doesn't want to be 'rebuilding'. It doesn't seem to get you too far.

the oilers are doing poorly for 2 reasons:

1. at minimum one bad goal against per game
    2. at minimum one powerplay goal against per game

we went in to pitts on the back half of a back to back and outchanced them handily. we went in to washington and outshot and out chanced them. we blew the fucking lid off the maple leafs in every meaningful department.

as a team, we've only looked bad for 4.5 periods. the shellacking in vancouver and half the nj game. easily should have won against the jets and montreal.

the oilers have as a team, historically bad goaltending so far. the oilers only out corsi'd teams 5 teams all of last season, they've already done it 5 times this season. they are outshooting, out chancing, winning 60% of the faceoffs and are just in general better all round. i don't know what the problem 4v5 is but i'm confident that it will work itself out. if we had even league average goaltending, we wouldn't have so many people standing on those ledges.

• Options
    yeah of the games I've seen we've been playing remarkably well. The Toronto game wasn't helped by that 3 on 1 in the dying seconds. Dubs faced down two rebounds on that and of course the last one made it in.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth