As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I need to play American Nightmare still.

....and the final DLC for Alan Wake.

Guess I'll preorder Quantum Break for all the goodies.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    AN is pretty great, lots of Stephen King references and has a cool, pulpy vibe to it. The one complaint against it is, it retreads a few areas over to make the game feel longer, but not in a way that is too offensive.

My least favorite part is when SPIDERS EVERYWHERE because SPIDERS EVERYWHERE

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm interested in Quantum Break but still not sure what to make of the real world stuff.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm interested in Quantum Break but still not sure what to make of the real world stuff.

It's just FMV cut scenes at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

It's just FMV cut scenes at this point.
    Yeah, just a natural progression from similar things Remedy were trying with the televisions in Alan Wake.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Homefront beta code
    GYMDV-KH7TV-P92MM-4VYKG-GH7HZ

@Local H Jay Taken. Thanks! Curious to see how the first-person motorbike stuff handles.
    @Local H Jay
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Skidzilla360/video/c636c7ec-5cd5-4e40-858c-41b95945b9be/04160100-5dac-4f18-9942-18d31eaa13e2

^Me knocking over a porta-potty with a dirt bike.

It's actually not bad (for a FPVV), took about four tries to find a lobby though, feels almost like a multiplayer alpha than beta, lots of hilarious unfinished third-person animations and choppy netcode. Could be an okay singleplayer game, but if you already own Destiny or Titanfall etc, there's no reason to really recommend it IMO.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Homefront beta code
    GYMDV-KH7TV-P92MM-4VYKG-GH7HZ

@Local H Jay Taken. Thanks! Curious to see how the first-person motorbike stuff handles.
    @Local H Jay
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Skidzilla360/video/c636c7ec-5cd5-4e40-858c-41b95945b9be/04160100-5dac-4f18-9942-18d31eaa13e2

^Me knocking over a porta-potty with a dirt bike.

It's actually not bad (for a FPVV), took about four tries to find a lobby though, feels almost like a multiplayer alpha than beta, lots of hilarious unfinished third-person animations and choppy netcode. Could be an okay singleplayer game, but if you already own Destiny or Titanfall etc, there's no reason to really recommend it IMO.

Checked it out myself, not sure how much I like it, though I played at night mostly so that may have been a factor

This happened too
    https://youtu.be/t2CVNW0pflY

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I think that, for me, if Microsoft feel it's a better business move for Xbox in general to have its exclusives also available on PC, then I'm happy for them to do that. If it means more sales for these games, then there's more chance of them and their studios getting continued support, and hopefully the freedom to continue a series with further releases if they wish. I'm really not fussed about whether it's LITERALLY solely on Xbox or if it's exclusive to Microsoft platforms, I just want these things to succeed and seemingly the best way to achieve that is to allow more people to buy and play them.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    While I want Xbox one to do well so my instinct is to "support" exclusives that "force" people to buy one, I also want the games themselves to do well, and between Microsoft and the game companies, it's more likely for the game companies to fold if their games don't sell, rather than Microsoft Xbox folding if Xbox doesn't sell well. So I'm happy about this, if games get more sales on PC and that helps them get sequels, as someone who only has an Xbox one that is a massive plus in my book

I loved Sunset Overdrive, but I'm definitely worried it didn't sell well, and I don't want that to keep happening to great games out of some mad dash for more and more exclusivity to try and force people to buy the One

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I just want to play shit. I don't care who else is playing it on what.

BTW, looks like Unraveled is out now.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm sympathetic to "I want to play this, but I can't because it's not on my favored platform." I have NO sympathy for "I CAN play this, but other people can too, so now I'm mad." Fuck that.

• Options
    Oh, I won't say I don't go "aw, bummer. I can't play that cause I have a Mac..." now and then, etc. But like... Bummer is all. Too old for otherwise. Worn out from the great Atari wars, and the Sega/Nintendo border conflicts.

• Options
    It's entirely a "problem" of optics.

Like, the ONLY person this honestly affects is sombody who either has or is thinking about buying a gaming PC, and either has or is thinking about buying an Xbone. It's probably not really that high of a number!

But that's not what people are freaking out about. They're in the PS4 vs Xbone mindset. Currently the hardware platforms are pretty damn similar. Similar arcitecture, similar subscription services, similar prices, and even the power of the hardware isn't radically different. The exclusives are kind of becoming "the thing" that seperates the two consoles, and there's some level of disconnect between hearing "X exclusive is also available on the PC" and how, like I discussed, how that only affects people who are involved with higher end PC gaming.

X being available on PC is completely pointless information to someone who just console games; or who don't have a beefy PC. Yet the optics of yet another Xbone exclusive also being available on PC, while PS4 exclusives pretty much stay on the PS4, makes the PS4 "appear" to have a stronger library of exclusives.

Like, case in point, out of the known releases for next year, only Crackdown 3 and Gears of War 4 are not coming to PC (and Gears4 might be coming after all). Meanwhile the PS4 has Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian, all of which are completely exclusive to the PS4. This of course ignores Quantum Break, ReCore, Cuphead, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2 and others, just because they're on PC.

Basically, every time we hear about the PC getting an Xbone exclusive, people mentally remove that from the list of exclusives, even though its still available for the Xbone and not the PS4. It's all bullshit, basically.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It's a bit hard for me to analyze since, well, I really can't imagine Microsoft counted on Quantum Break to move many consoles.

For once I think Giant Beastcast had a salient point: I don't think a Remedy game (Max Payne included) was going to move consoles. Period. Of course, Alan Wake didn't really interest me that much, so it's hard for me to relate.

Meanwhile, Quantum Break's requirements demand a video card, by itself, that costs as much as an Xbox One console. For all I know, everyone who plays PC games can run it, but that's a difficult thing to calculate.

At least with Street Fighter V, which will be PC as well as PS4, that's actually a popular game series that won't take a console-cost video card to run, as far as I can tell. It's not surprising that Sony couldn't nail that down as an exclusive because, well, Capcom's not stupid.

Of course, maybe I'm totally wrong about Quantum Break--it could be far, far more popular than I could appreciate.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    so... it's rather amusing that in Homefront stevedore is a job background as the port is largely beaten out by NY and Baltimore's... like... four generations? Waterfront is largely touristy.

and Gas Jockey is only a job that would only exist in New Jersey.

And so I chose exterminator.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's a bit hard for me to analyze since, well, I really can't imagine Microsoft counted on Quantum Break to move many consoles.

For once I think Giant Beastcast had a salient point: I don't think a Remedy game (Max Payne included) was going to move consoles. Period. Of course, Alan Wake didn't really interest me that much, so it

Meanwhile, Quantum Break's requirements demand a video card, by itself, that costs as much as an Xbox One console. For all I know, everyone who plays PC games can run it, but that's a difficult thing to calculate.

At least with Street Fighter V, which will be PC as well as PS4, that's actually a popular game series that won't take a console-cost video card to run, as far as I can tell. It's not surprising that Sony couldn't nail that down as an exclusive because, well, Capcom's not stupid.

Of course, maybe I'm totally wrong about Quantum Break--it could be far, far more popular than I could appreciate.

If you just pare it down to Quantum Break, then sure. But QB is just one game in a continuing trend. From a press release from Microsoft a little while ago.
    Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer Beta in spring 2016/launch in fall 2016
    Quantum Break (Xbox One) – April 5, 2016

Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Fall 2016
    Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer in summer 2016
    Fable Legends Open Beta (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    ReCore (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Sea of Thieves (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Gigantic (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – March 2016
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    Cobalt (Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam) – Feb 2, 2016
    http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/

Like that isn't some random assortment of games; that's Microsoft's "look at all the cool shit we got" announcement straight from their website. Three games on that list weren't coming to PC at the time it got posted, and with the Quantum Break announcement it's now down to two. Possibly one based on that Gamespot blurb that got taken down.

• Options
    The irony here is that if they were to not release these games for PC, they would be "ignoring the PC gamer", "shooting themselves in the foot to spite the competition" and "being greedy to force sales".

It's a wonder anyone sells anything to the gaming market but strychnine, honestly.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I
    dporowski wrote: »
    The irony here is that if they were to not release these games for PC, they would be "ignoring the PC gamer", "shooting themselves in the foot to spite the competition" and "being greedy to force sales".

It's a wonder anyone sells anything to the gaming market but strychnine, honestly.

Yeah. I've come to the conclusion some folks just like to complain.

• Options
    I

Or, you know, different folks have different opinions and aren't a single conglomerated folk hivemind.

• Options
    I

Or, you know, different folks have different opinions and aren't a single conglomerated folk hivemind.

But either way, the clickbait shall flow 'gainst the high walls of Redmond, like a tide of flesh, fire, and steel.

• Options
    I

Meh. I think most console war stuff is garbage anyway, so I don't have much sympathy for any party.

• Options
    edited February 2016

For once I think Giant Beastcast had a salient point: I don't think a Remedy game (Max Payne included) was going to move consoles. Period. Of course, Alan Wake didn't really interest me that much, so it

If you just pare it down to Quantum Break, then sure. But QB is just one game in a continuing trend. From a press release from Microsoft a little while ago.
    Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer Beta in spring 2016/launch in fall 2016
    Quantum Break (Xbox One) – April 5, 2016

Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Fall 2016
    Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer in summer 2016
    Fable Legends Open Beta (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    ReCore (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Sea of Thieves (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Gigantic (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
    Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – March 2016
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
    Cobalt (Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam) – Feb 2, 2016
    http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/

Like that isn't some random assortment of games; that's Microsoft's "look at all the cool shit we got" announcement straight from their website. Three games on that list weren't coming to PC at the time it got posted, and with the Quantum Break announcement it's now down to two. Possibly one based on that Gamespot blurb that got taken down.

I guess so? I mean, we're coming out of the PS3 and Xbox 360 era where most of Sony's most famous IPs aren't exclusive to their platform either, as far as I can tell.

Kingdom Hearts? That'll be on XB1. Same for the Final Fantasy titles that aren't crappy PSP ports, no offense.

From Software? Except for Bloodborne, that's multiplatform too, though honestly I've never been a huge fan of their games.

They couldn't even keep Street Fighter as an exclusive, and I'm pretty sure they're paying for a large chunk of the development (hmm, where does that sound familiar?). So, there's Naughty Dog who has obvious, real mainstream appeal, but hasn't put out anything until now that wasn't a remake of a previous generation game (and personally, I wouldn't trade the Coalition for them--but I like Gears more than Uncharted). I'm not convinced Ratchet and Clank does anymore than Sunset Overdrive, but what do I know? Really, the only thing that I'll miss is The Last Guardian, which was supposed to come out back on the PS3 (something I do own). It's hard for me to be care, but that's what I get for thinking about it from a "I play games" standpoint and not a "I'm a businessman" standpoint--if I do the later, I immediately wonder, "Does Microsoft have the clout to say, 'No, you only put all these games out on our second-place console!'?" And could they survive the shitstorm that would result?

I...kind of just assume that's how things are for more than five years now, when Final Fantasy XIII hit the Xbox 360, and the best action game the PS3 had for the first year of its lifespan was Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I mean, I guess there are tens of millions of people who have zero problem dropping the cost of a PS4 or Xbox One (or both) for a awesome goddamn video card into their PC (and everything else it needs to run), but I know I'm not one of them. My GTX 970 has got to last unless something else literally falls into my lap for free. So far, the projected requirements for games like Quatum Break aren't encouraging.

But again, these are just my circumstances. The console sales meta game is something that's really hard for me to think of beyond, "Huh, what does this mean for me?" And what that means is, "Am I going to drop $400 to have PC that could properly play Quantum Break?"

(In my case, the answer is no.)

EDIT: Oh, and Horizon Zero Dawn. That looks great. On the other hand, it's also made by the Killzone people, and those games all looked amazing (after they got off the PS2) but run the gamut from "meh" to "this actually sucks". So I'm not sure how to weigh in on that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Well, like I said, it's all bullshit that only affects the few people who have (or will have) nice rigs and are also looking at an Xbone. Everything else is just people getting stressed out about how things look, rather than how they are.

Edit: Also, as an aside, even as a colossal Gears of War fan, I'm not sure I'd place a reletively unproven company like the Coalition above the studio that made Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted and the Last of Us.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Console wars, PC wars, handheld wars. NES vs Sega Master System. Yup, Still dumb.

There's some 'drama' going on surrounding 'The Division' right now...

Some PC gamers will never be happy until they get Log(n) FPS from their cryogenically cooled billion dollar rig.

War, war never changes. Just the amount of transistors or opinions you can fit in X area.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    has anyone picked up Arslan? Kinda interested, but wondering if i should wait till steam has a sale for PC?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Maguano wrote: »
    has anyone picked up Arslan? Kinda interested, but wondering if i should wait till steam has a sale for PC?

Arslan was released? Didn't know that :O

It's a Koei game, so... if you don't like Musou/Warriors games... then you probably won't like it.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I dunno about all this stuff, you guys, I just like Xbox games.

I did invest in a GTX980 so I'm not exactly out of options when it comes to these sorts of games, but my computer sits in a cramped, poorly-ventilated study room wedged into a corner next to a foam couch and runs off a 5 year old CPU. A surprising amount of cross-buy/cross-play options coming from titles like Killer Instinct Season 3 and Quantum Break aren't really discouraging me from investing in my console!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Playing Arslan now, and yep. If Musou/Warriors games are your bag (and all that entails), I'd say go for it.

As this is based on the anime/comic, it should be noted that it will spoil the series.

edit: As in, they use pseudo-animated cutscenes between the stages... and so far they are largely mirroring it.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Re: Arslan, with the character designer from Fullmetal Alchemist I think (Hiromu Arakawa, who's doing said manga), if you're a fan of that.

I'd like to check it out, but barely any games get demos nowadays...arg.

• Options
    Re: Arslan, with the character designer from Fullmetal Alchemist I think (Hiromu Arakawa, who's doing said manga), if you're a fan of that.

There's that too. Forgot to mention it.

Honestly it plays like a Musou game, but converted to a different franchise. This one uses weapon switches as part of the combo. It also has skills more like Gundam Warriors, but they're acquired via cards that drop from enemies... it seems like so many games are using cards these days. They combine and so on and so forth. Higher difficulties grant stronger versions of the cards, which can be synthesized (haven't done any of that yet)

I will say if you did not like the early episodes of Arslan... well... playing them in game format is just as thrilling.

Overall, I like it. But I like Koei games.

• Options
    edited February 2016

There's that too. Forgot to mention it.

Honestly it plays like a Musou game, but converted to a different franchise. This one uses weapon switches as part of the combo. It also has skills more like Gundam Warriors, but they're acquired via cards that drop from enemies... it seems like so many games are using cards these days. They combine and so on and so forth. Higher difficulties grant stronger versions of the cards, which can be synthesized (haven't done any of that yet)

I will say if you did not like the early episodes of Arslan... well... playing them in game format is just as thrilling.

Overall, I like it. But I like Koei games.

Yeah, I suspect your enjoyment out of this, like all of the Musou games, is predicated out of how much you like the source material. Hence why I found Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 an order of magnitude more interesting than Hyrule Warriors.

On the other hand, I do want to do my small part to encourage Koei to release their games on this platform. I might give Arslan a read, see if it clicks, and pick it up.

It does seem like you can apply the Musou formula to practically anything. Come on, Koei, throw some cash at Madhouse and get permission to make Record of Lodoss Warriors. I'll buy ten copies of that! Shit, or Dynasty Warriors Bastard!!--I can't imagine that would be that hard to make.

In any case, fans of the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist might want to check it out on Youtube, since it's pretty unmistakably in her style.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    A question from a pc gamer that note plays some Xbox one games. When playing FPS games like to battlefield hard-line I can't aim to save my life. I am used to the fine control of my mouse. Example :: I am running down a corridor and know there is a target ahead. I see him and try to aim but just always go to far back and forth and end up dead. Sniping is even worse with my reticle always going to far left and right. Help? Ideas?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A question from a pc gamer that note plays some Xbox one games. When playing FPS games like to battlefield hard-line I can't aim to save my life. I am used to the fine control of my mouse. Example :: I am running down a corridor and know there is a target ahead. I see him and try to aim but just always go to far back and forth and end up dead. Sniping is even worse with my reticle always going to far left and right. Help? Ideas?

Well, "you get used to it". I can't aim to save my life on PC, not that I'm amazing on console, but I'm notably worse on PC.

Muck with the sensitivity for sure, that in my experience is the single biggest thing to make your life happier re: aiming. Default's usually nice, but try things.

• Options
    Aiming with a kbam and aiming with thumbsticks utilize entirely different sets of muscles and hand-eye-comms. Just gotta get used to it/learn it

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Did anyone elses friendslist just vanish? Everyone appears offline.

What the fuck do all these 3-500 megabyte updates do? I must have installed 15 gigabytes worth of updates over the past year and I cant tell the difference...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Did anyone elses friendslist just vanish? Everyone appears offline.

What the fuck do all these 3-500 megabyte updates do? I must have installed 15 gigabytes worth of updates over the past year and I cant tell the difference...

Mine is still there, but I have no idea if it has updated recently or not. Not sure where to check that. Are. You in the preview program?

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm in the preview program.

• Options
    Likely weekly/scheduled builds, then. Probably just push the latest beta out every so often.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in the preview program.
    @Sirialis You should set your expectations about things working as low as possible then.

Heck, there's massive bugs/regressions in the RTM builds I'm on.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Siri, you complain about the preview program pretty regularly. Just turn it off. :P

What is this I don't even.