As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] The Summer Dale is upon us!

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Icemopper wrote: »
    What is the Secret World? I'm ashamed to ask, but I don't know that I've heard of it.

It's Funcom's MMO set in the modern day. Doesn't have subscription to have a complete playing experience, but it's not free-to-play as you need to buy the game itself. I got it from some deal late last year, and have spent a lot of time with it without really progressing much.

It's basically a modern-day setting, centered around weird shit happening, and how the three factions deal with it(Templars, Illuminati and Dragon). You end up in one of the three secret societies, and basically get sent to investigate/do missions in a couple places around the world. It's different from other MMOs in the sense that there aren't really classes, and rejiggering your abilities is quite fluid. There's also investigation missions, and other missions that are more imaginative than the usual "Collect 5 wolf penises"-MMO fare, but require some thinking and possibly investigating/Googling through the in-game browser to figure out.
    Examples might be figuring out a painting to find based on a bible excerpt referring to Kings: something or other, from which you'll find the next hint, and after a couple checkpoints like that you'll discover a hidden stash/documents/whatever secret, that'll net you some rewards, reveal parts of the plot, and give more interaction with your faction handler.

The game's got a fairly occult/lovecraftean vibe at least in the first area, heavily garnished with conspiracy theory stuff. Honestly my only wish was that the factions/npcs would've been a bit more secretive to enhance the feeling of being in a secret society, but the idea is that there's a "Secret World" that the world at large isn't privy to, full of monsters, magic, crazy science, conspiracies etc.

The combat isn't the best thing ever, but the setting is a lot more interesting than most MMOs.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    What is the Secret World? I'm ashamed to ask, but I don't know that I've heard of it.

ONLY THE GREATEST GAME EVER!

Well, no. But it's a shitload of fun! It's the first MMO I ever played, and I still love it a year later, having put around a thousand hours in. The story and lore and environments are the real draw, it's just phenomenal how interesting the characters and dialogue and everything are. I would make a list of my favourite characters but it would be longer than the rest of the post, so let's just say that the Illuminati are the greatest.

It uses hotbar combat which I hear people don't like, but it seems fine to me. The fun thing about the combat is mostly in building your deck: you get 7 active and 7 passive abilities, chosen from a wheel of 500 possible skills. So you can choose this frenzy attack, this passive that makes frenzies more likely to penetrate, this passive that does extra damage on penetrations, this active that buffs your penetration rate, and this passive that makes your frenzies heal you. And then at the end of that fight you can switch all your skills out and become a tank. Or a healer. Or shoot some zombies with your revolvers, or zap them with lightning, or punch them.

Even if you don't like MMOs (and in general I don't like MMOs so I know where you're coming from) there's a great single player experience there. You can play almost the whole thing on your own, just missing a few dungeons, and while it will be a bit rougher than in a group, you'll still have a blast. Get it, blast? No? It's a type of attack, play the game now so you can appreciate my puns more.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    You guys know that there is a surgeon and barbershop. You can change your look for in game money

Doesn't matter. I'll change hair/makeup in game, but not base appearance. That has to be right from the beginning. I'm that way in every game. ;)

But hey, I have a character finally!

Now I just have to think up a goddamn name that isn't taken. /cue 15 more hours

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Morning, folks. A reminder from yesterday: I am giving away two copies of Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed:
    signature.png

If you played it during the free weekend, it probably won't let you enter. A possible solution to this is to force Steamgifts to sync your account again (Account --> Sync).

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »
    So, i want the straight skinny now that the hype has long passed.

I kinda want Aliens: Colonial Marines this Summer Dale if it catches a really good sale (75+%). Just finished watching Aliens again and I'm feeling nostalgic. Am I a horrible person?

Nope, I feel the same way. If it's discounted enough, I won't think twice about grabbing it.

In fact, adding to my wish list right now.

A nostalgic buddy of mine gifted it to me on the Xbox. We played through it Co-Op. I can only recommend the experience if a few conditions are met:
    1. Do not go into the experience expecting it to be good, there are a few bits and special items for the nostalgia buttons to go off, but over all... it's just bad.
    2. Play Co-Op with someone who will ridicule the game with you.
    3. Do not pay money for this. If you have some steam monies from selling cards, and this is about $0.50, jump on it.
    4. Don't play it sober. Seriously.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I think I may have gotten the best gift ever. Just for that message alone <3@AnteCantelope for being simultaneously mean and awesome :lol:

QG8vobV.png

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I think I may have gotten the best gift ever. Just for that message alone <3@AnteCantelope for being simultaneously mean and awesome :lol:

QG8vobV.png

That game always seems to have some sort of odd charm to it. Basically the sort of charm that appeals to the tinkerer/manager/perfectionist in one's heart. I'll probably have to get it some day just to try out being a chocolatier.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    QG8vobV.png

Goddamnit, @AnteCantelope I threatened to send Isy all the food related games during his fast, and you beat me to the punch. :(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    QG8vobV.png

Goddamnit, @AnteCantelope I threatened to send Isy all the food related games during his fast, and you beat me to the punch. :(

He should send them to you instead!

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Arithon32 wrote: »
    Time to break in the gifting before the Dale ramps up.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

More than 4 of you need to sign up for this Little Inferno give away. Seriously you get to play with fire, and puzzles, and it's a beautiful game. Also the first PC game I got my Fiance to play. It could get you women

@undead scottsman Just watched the trailer for Magrunner. The words "Technology meets Chtulu" displayed. Instant wish-listed, barley resisted buying it at full flipping price...

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    There's a game about chocolate?

The fuck?

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Luchaire wrote: »

The fuck?

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED?

It was big in the last summer sale, its a game about combining chocolates and other treats to meet taste tester's preferences. There was lots of giveaways and even a contest where you had to design a real chocolate treat and pm it to the guy hosting the contest and he decided what would theoretically taste the best.

Man. I forget how new some of you guys are to the steam thread. Kids these days, don't even know about Chocolatier. Back in the day we didn't have this huge steam library, we could go through every available game and the steam thread on the forums in the same day. Now all you kids are posting and its filling up so quickly. Yeesh.

Get off my lawn.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    daichiasukadaichiasuka Registered User regular
    Some extra keys I have laying around...

signature.png

signature.png

Just a reminder that these exist.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Tropico 2 of late. It's better than I remember. Still not great, but the 18 year old me never completed it, and the 28 year old is angry about that. Strive on.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Food for the fasting. Positively wicked!

Don't ever change, Steam Thread. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Micro wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    All steamgifts have been sent out! Congratulations to the winners!

@ Crayon

As the winner of Chivalry, thank you so, so much. I'm really grateful.

May the Dale Season bring you nothing but happiness and joy

Guide to having the most fun with Chivalry:

1) Play the knight

2) Grind out that shitty one handed hammer until you unlock the maul

3) MAUL TIME:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQNaqlbPBE

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Food for the fasting. Positively wicked!

Don't ever change, Steam Thread. :)

Joke is on him, fasting starts in 12 hours. I can eat as much as I want right now! :p

• Options
    Guys, I bring terrible news.

http://steamplaytime.appspot.com/

CorriganX's Steam library would take approx. 5059.32 hours to complete.
    That's 210.80 days!

D:

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Has anyone posted this yet?

"Curious about how long it would truly take to finish your Steam backlog? Enter your 17 digit Steam ID or Profile URL"
    "tsmvengy's Steam library would take approx. 2040.68 hours to complete. That's 85.03 days!"

D:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy so slow.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Damn my formatting, not fast enough!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

I was talking about Sonic racing, not the forums.

OH SNAP. ITS ON NOW SON. <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular

That's 210.80 days!

D:

That's less than a year. unimpressive.

Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Shadowhope's Steam library would take approx. 2571.05 hours to complete.
    That's 107.13 days!

Ugh.

And my games library is worth $2572. I mean, I know that most of that came on sale, but still, ugh.

The Dale needs to start soon so I can improve those numbers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

That goes perfectly with your avatar. It really does.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    natetwocnatetwoc Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    Excision wrote: »
    Dishonored complete on low chaos wuwu! Backlog down one, now onto Batman: Arkahm City

I loved Dishonored!

Completely forgot that this was on my backlog...

• Options

:( A weekend of playing actually helped get the boat handling down.

But for now, time to start racking up those vacation hours so I can vanquish the backlog in one fell swoop!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    14154.93 hours to completion. Yeah, I ain't hitting all those. Proof I don't need to be gifted more things dammit! :p
    BTW, thats 590 days or so. D:

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That site just makes me feel bad:

Main story completionist played
    Dungeons of Dredmor 19.5 24.84* 19.3

So I should be about to finish the game, not got to level 5 and died twice. Grr, that game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

The fuck?

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED?

It was big in the last summer sale, its a game about combining chocolates and other treats to meet taste tester's preferences. There was lots of giveaways and even a contest where you had to design a real chocolate treat and pm it to the guy hosting the contest and he decided what would theoretically taste the best.

Man. I forget how new some of you guys are to the steam thread. Kids these days, don't even know about Chocolatier. Back in the day we didn't have this huge steam library, we could go through every available game and the steam thread on the forums in the same day. Now all you kids are posting and its filling up so quickly. Yeesh.

Get off my lawn.

Sit down and take your Geritol, pops. I'll have the nurse change your Depend later.

Would the grumpy old man feel better with a new gift in his inbox maybe? Hmm....? I'll see what I can do about that when I get home.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Spellforce takes 340 hours to beat?!

Okay, I'm never crossing that one off my backlog.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

That's 210.80 days!

D:

erm

RIK's Steam library would take approx. 6367.72 hours to complete.
    That's 265.32 days!

retirement sorted

edit: according to xfire I've played 5500 hours over the last 5 years, so I could have this lot finished in 6 years! obviously I would have to not buy any new games

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular

The fuck?

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED?

Get off my lawn.

Sit down and take your Geritol, pops. I'll have the nurse change your Depend later.

Would the grumpy old man feel better with a new gift in his inbox maybe? Hmm....? I'll see what I can do about that when I get home.

You guys are doing this wrong, you wait til the sale stars THEN you start wars. Backwards you are.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    That site isn't working for me :( It's ok I've got some games to beat I know. Starting to knock off the shorter ones - really liking Runner 2 (leaderboards are making me nuts!), but need to go back and finish off the first.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    That site isn't working for me :( It's ok I've got some games to beat I know. Starting to knock off the shorter ones - really liking Runner 2 (leaderboards are making me nuts!), but need to go back and finish off the first.

USAgent's Steam library would take approx. 2639.36 hours to complete.
    That's 109.97 days!

http://steamplaytime.appspot.com/?steamid=http://steamcommunity.com/id/USAgent/

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So apparently I've played enough to finish 102% of the main stories. I think Borderlands and Arkham City may have skewed things.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    rikdaly wrote: »

That's 210.80 days!

D:

erm

RIK's Steam library would take approx. 6367.72 hours to complete.
    That's 265.32 days!

retirement sorted

edit: according to xfire I've played 5500 hours over the last 5 years, so I could have this lot finished in 6 years! obviously I would have to not buy any new games

Mines gotta be broken. You have waaaaaaaaaay more games than I!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Sigh. I just installed the Steam app on my phone. What have I become?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daichiasukadaichiasuka Registered User regular
    A huge thanks to @RoyceSraphim for gifting me Dead Island GOTY, Metro 2033, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row: The Third!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Finally got around to completing my Super Meat Boy and Gratuitous Space Battles badges. If any of you suddenly get some booster packs, you can thank me :lol:

If only my new Steam emoticons worked in the Steam thread.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
This discussion has been closed.