As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i have never understood people who hate it when the bombcast isn't talking about games

that's like half the point of the podcast

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. If it is comedy, that tangents are great. If they are just a "Hey, listen to me." info dump, they are horrible.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's at least 65% wrestling now.

(I hope I don't have to point out that I'm not "angry" or "mad" or any other serious sounding adjective about Dan and his wrestling boner, which I'm clearly exaggerating)

Are you sure you are not accidentally listening to the power Bombcast or something because I have not listened to the new episode but all of the previous episodes probably have a combined 10 minutes of wrestling talk.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Essentially, the journalists need to keep the show on topic. I always hate it when they run off on non-gaming tangents. If it is not part of a feature, don't do it.

It was hilarious when a stalker popped up on WoW and Brad went, "Oh God.".

What you are asking them to so here is make a product that is not the Giant Bombcast.

Non-gaming talk has always been a big part of it. It's not some sort of mistake or blunder when it happens. To put it in PA forum terms, you are asking for G&T when they are making SE

They don't consider it a journalism site, they consider it a personality-based one. They are not concerned with a rigidly on-topic product.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I love the idea that I might be accidentally listening to the all-wrestling podcast. SURE FEELS THAT WAY.

(YES, I'M KIDDING AROUND)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, they really need to add a comedian to the show.

• Options
    Zoe Quinn is a former standup and a funny gal, which is why I hope we see more of her.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    The parts where they talk about games are by far the worst parts of the bombcast you guys

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I agree. Zoe's funny as shit. There really hasn't been anyone else as funny as Ryan on the show since his passing. I love Jeff's dry sense of humor, and Vinny's endearingly goofy, but a great big ball of funny is a good thing to have on the bombcast.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    The parts where they talk about games are by far the worst parts of the bombcast you guys

I wouldn't go that far, personally.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'd likely agree that it's the worst part, with the addendum that it's still actually good content.

Until Jeff starts talking mess about some beloved game, wherein it temporarily becomes the best.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Favorite Bombcast topics for me would probably be

1) Science related topics and discussion of future tech
    1) Scenario E-mails (knife or bat, would you drink breast milk?, lightning rounds, etc)
    3) How each Bombcast participants week went outside of gaming
    4) Food and drink (going all the way back to Jeff and Ryan reviewing energy drinks)
    5) Things that they love that they also see as being duuuumb
    6) Nostalgia trips of various kinds
    7) Things they hate
    8) Video games
    9) Anything that could be considered an "inside baseball" look at the industry
    10) Recent absurd purchases

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    He's almost like one of those weird mormon kids that grew up on a commune and are just now experiencing the outside world for the first time. He grew up with no connection to the outside world other than thousands of hours of wrestling VHS tapes.

Excuse me??

• Options
    You're excused.

• Options
    It is top class irony that you make that kind of comparison while accusing someone else of ignorance.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that's not what irony is.

• Options
    I honestly learned about irony to a large extent from the topic of how Isn't It Ironic? contains no irony in American Lit class.

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    I honestly learned about irony to a large extent from the topic of how Isn't It Ironic? contains no irony in American Lit class.

Now that's ironic.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm pretty sure that's not what irony is.

I dunno, accusing someone of ignorance while not only Mormon-bashing but mixing Mormons up with the Amish fits the bill pretty well.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Well, then it's a good thing Mormons aren't allowed to use computers, so they'll never find out I was throwin' shade.
    Just messin' with ya! I love Mormons. I love their bicycles and their little uniforms and everything. So much cuter than Jehovah's Witnesses (BOOM, RELIGIOUS SOLICITOR BEEF)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Amish wouldn't have a VCR.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Well, then it's a good thing Mormons aren't allowed to use computers, so they'll never find out I was throwin' shade.
    Just messin' with ya! I love Mormons. I love their bicycles and their little uniforms and everything. So much cuter than Jehovah's Witnesses (BOOM, RELIGIOUS SOLICITOR BEEF)

Hahahahaha

Ahahahahahahaha oh my goodness

You're honestly throwing me for a loop here, I'm not sure how much of this is serious so I'm just going to proceed as if it all is.

Full disclosure: I'm a Mormon, I finished my 2-year missionary service last October.

While all Mormon Missionaries are Mormons, not all Mormons are Mormon Missionaries.

And since I was part of the Facebook pilot programme I can tell you with confidence that even Mormon Missionaries are allowed to use computers.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Even if it isn't irony it sure is ignorant.

Maybe it isn't a good idea to be offensively ignorant of something while talking about how ignorant Dan is.

Maybe that's completely unnecessary, and when called on apologizing is much much better than doubling down.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    And since I was part of Facebook pilot programme I can tell you with confidence that even Mormon Missionaries are allowed to use computers.

You just blew my goddamn mind.

I'm not sure how much of this is serious

As a general rule of thumb: very little.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I haven't listened to this weeks but I don't remember dan mentioning wrestling a single time last week so I can't say I agree with you in the least and think you're full of hyperbole on this one

• Options
    I have a feeling that Dan's ignorance is going to be a constant source of entertainment and humor too.

You can just take a wheelbarrow into that ignorance mine at any time and always come out with some sort of precious metal.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Also I rode a bike about two times, total. To be fair, that one very much depends on the location of the mission, and I served in London.
    And since I was part of Facebook pilot programme I can tell you with confidence that even Mormon Missionaries are allowed to use computers.

You just blew my goddamn mind.

To clarify, I meant the church's pilot programme of using Facebook to help in missionary work. Like, me and Mark Zuckerberg aren't best bros or anything. Maybe.
    I'm not sure how much of this is serious

As a general rule of thumb: very little.

Oh I know it wasn't meant maliciously and was said in jest, but I just didn't know to what extent you were feigning ignorance.

Again, it's funny (Ironic or not) because I could say almost this exact same thing about Dan Ryckert. I lean towards the position that he's 100 percent serious, and I can't help but find his attitude of self-deprecation and earnest willingness to learn incredibly endearing.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Dudes. I'm sorry I called Mormons sheltered. I've never known a Mormon who didn't freely admit to having a pretttttttttty sheltered childhood. I was not aware this was a raw nerve for some of you guys. I apologize if I upset you.

• Options
    Also I rode a bike about two times, total. To be fair, that one very much depends on the location of the mission, and I served in London.

Man, the bikes are the best part, though!

Oh I know it wasn't meant maliciously and was said in jest, but I just didn't know to what extent you were feigning ignorance.

Again, it's funny (Ironic or not) because I could say almost this exact same thing about Dan Ryckert. I lean towards the position that he's 100 percent serious, and I can't help but find his attitude of self-deprecation and earnest willingness to learn incredibly endearing.

I'm pretty familiar with Mormonism. Grew up around lots of you dudes. Ended up working with quite a few when I worked for a computer company for a few years. So, for the record, I do in fact know the difference between Mormons and the Amish. The Amish make way better bread.

But back to Dan, I've actually occasionally wondered if his naivety is some kind of grand, Kaufman-esque public trolling performance art. It almost seems to colossal to be real.

• Options
    But, for all the ragging I do on Dan, I also agree that his wide-eyed take on stuff new games is kind of cute. I still don't really get any enjoyment of him on the Bombcast, but there's some fun in seeing him explore the world of video games that he's apparently never been exposed to before.

• Options
    There are certain times where he actually has an edge on those who have had a wider range of experience.

I for one now wish that I could say I've never played an MMO!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Dudes. I'm sorry I called Mormons sheltered. I've never known a Mormon who didn't freely admit to having a pretttttttttty sheltered childhood. I was not aware this was a raw nerve for some of you guys. I apologize if I upset you.

No worries, I'm not in the least bit offended. OK, I was a little offended at the first comment, as evidenced by my initial "Excuse me??" response. Forget about that, though.

I'm certainly not going to deny the existence of sheltered Mormons. Even in Utah, though, they're far fewer than you might think.

And I certainly fall far outside what you may think of as a typical Mormon, for the following reasons:

-I'm British.
    -My family isn't one big happy unit, and hasn't been since I was 2 years old.
    -I've frequented these forums since 2007, although recently I have been feeling less and less like I fit in.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Dan making everyone play Mario Party was the best.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I need to consume Giant Bomb in a vacuum. I'll be loving their content like always, but then look at comments about them and realise that no - in fact, everything has become awful, and personality X is dragging the whole thing down by always doing Y.

Seriously, that site has easily offered me more entertainment than anything other than games for like four years now. I love and respect those guys enough to have had my own occasional frustrations with them, but that's the byproduct of such a beautifully personality-driven enterprise.

• Options
    It is both possible, and sometimes necessary, to enjoy media while at the same time being critical of its less good parts.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    i have never understood people who hate it when the bombcast isn't talking about games

that's like half the point of the podcast

Yeah. That's the reason I listen to the Bombcast and not one of the dozens of other, arguably better gaming-focused casts. I don't want to listen to people talk about games for 3 hours, but I enjoy the random bullshit that comes from these dudes in that same time, while touching on gaming for maybe 1/3 of that time. I find Dan amusing, but do agree with the notion that someone who wasn't basically Jeff, but younger and more ignorant, would've been nice. And I have absolutely no knowledge of wrestling, so whenever they go off on those tangents, I tend to tune out.

• Options
    The worst part of Giant Bomb is when they talk about or play a game you're familiar with, because they know nothing and do it wrong.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I need to consume Giant Bomb in a vacuum. I'll be loving their content like always, but then look at comments about them and realise that no - in fact, everything has become awful, and personality X is dragging the whole thing down by always doing Y.

This is basically how I feel about the internet with respect to all entertainment properties. It's also why I stopped going to Rotten Tomatoes.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Frozen peas. New meta.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Some people in the SE thread pointed it out. Dan comes off as a guy who's basically just been playing whatevr AAA game IGN wants him to for years and is now suddenly discovering the depth of the gaming landscape again and it's like a wondrous new world.

He's just so earnest to explore weird games and it's endearing to me.

I do like that about him. His quick looks with Drew have been fantastic. I just don't think he has a good personality or breadth of experience to be on a weekly podcast that, at the end of the day, is more about the individuals on the panel than it is about video games.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Dan's story about intentionally tanking an eye exam to get eyeglasses...*-1 Faith in Humanity*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.