As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    His ability to play a game for as many hours as he has at this point and still manage to not notice anything is pretty mind blowing. I can't stop watching.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I remember when I first starting playing WoW

I was an Elemental Shaman who ran up to mobs and just kept whacking them with my staff and wondering why it took so long to kill everything

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what I was doing wrong

My first character was a warrior. I specialized in the defensive tree, yet mainly played solo except for the instances. Even then, I didn't really get a proper feel for what I was supposed to be doing until many, many wipes. I think a lot of other random people I played with didn't really understand the basics either, or just enough did that my idiocy managed to not mess up every dungeon run. By the time I got to Scarlet Monastery, I think I had a good handle on my role.

Eventually I moved on to play spellcasting classes. My first warrior still sits on the Eredar PVP server, hanging out at the first Alliance settlement in Hellfire Peninsula at level 61.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Dan DPSing in the Deadmines was AMAZING
    LY painful to watch. It could only have been worse if Brad had gone with his instincts and had him queue up as the tank.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So after a few pod casts, I think it's safe to say: I don't like Dan Ryckert. He's brought this really harsh, reductionist vibe to the show that I just am not liking. He reduces everything to the most black/white opinion possible and seems to go for "Who can I piss off?" value over actual substantive discussion. I know the bomb cast is a comedy show at it's core, but it's always been a thoughtful comedy show. I don't think I've heard Dan say a single thoughtful thing on the show.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I hate to sound judgmental, but I think his ignorance really hurts the show. Juvenile behavior works fine for me in quick looks (Lovely Planet or whatever was pretty damned funny), but it is pretty clear that he is a child trying to converse with men on the bombcast.

Also, not every topic needs to be tied back to stupid wrestling shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Him and Jeff are very much alike except for one thing: Jeff knows how to talk to his audience. That means severely limiting wrestling references and learning to not go on and on about [popular thing] he despises. I hope he learns but I have serious doubts considering his knowledge of life in general is that of a 6 year old.

• Options
    They all like dumb shit (and I do, too), but dumb shit seems to be all he brings to the party. Contrast with Ryan, who adored dumb shit, but was also insightful, and it isn't hard to realize what we are missing.

I also miss Vinny on the podcast more than I thought I would. I know it isn't the same over Skype, but hearing about Max and grown-up stuff he is doing is ways better than mistaking egg shells for egg whites and eating hot dogs out of a shoe box.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The more I hear of the Bombcast with Dan, the more I agree with you guys. Which sucks, because I wanted to like Dan, but he really brings down the whole thing. =[

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The great thing about Dan though is that his inner child is not dead. That is much like Ryan. Notice that he plays off of Jeff really well.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    I feel like Dan's lack of understanding of any popular culture from the last thirty years would be acceptable if he brought something to the table that none of the other guys have. Like if he was a huge sports game fan, and they brought him over to fill in that conspicuous gap in their tastes. As far as I can tell from any quick look I have seen with him, he doesn't even play video games at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If he let his inner child out, it would die of dysentery after living in it's own filth and eating eggshells.

At least Ryan's would be filming itself flushin' pies,

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Dan is the worst WoW player I've ever seen...and I played that game since Beta. Just the worst. I also really like Dan, but man is he super bad at this game. When I said Dan is the GB drunk uncle I meant it, and it seems a lot of you agree.

Crayon on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Reading about how terrible Dan does in the latest WoW video I cant bring myself to watch it. You'd think he would have looked up some guides or talked to Rorie to learn what he should be doing. Having played MMO's for something like 10 years it's painful to watch someone be so inept at playing one.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Reading about how terrible Dan does in the latest WoW video I cant bring myself to watch it. You'd think he would have looked up some guides or talked to Rorie to learn what he should be doing. Having played MMO's for something like 10 years it's painful to watch someone be so inept at playing one.

I played the game when, literally, no one knew what they were doing and I can say, without hesitation, that he's the worst WoW player I've ever seen. Ever. Watch it if you want to cringe at how absolutely selfish and "me me me" he actually is. I don't think he has any real world skills. At all. And this is coming from someone who actually likes him as a personality.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think his complete naivete was the the point of the videos. Somebody into gaming who's never engaged with a MMORPG at all is kind of a rare duck these days. It's not the most fascinating or insightful thing in the world, but I always like to see things I'm overly familiar with through new eyes.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    I feel like Dan's lack of understanding of any popular culture from the last thirty years would be acceptable if he brought something to the table that none of the other guys have. Like if he was a huge sports game fan, and they brought him over to fill in that conspicuous gap in their tastes. As far as I can tell from any quick look I have seen with him, he doesn't even play video games at all.

He does bring a certain love for games like
    Crayon wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

I played the game when, literally, no one knew what they were doing and I can say, without hesitation, that he's the worst WoW player I've ever seen. Ever. Watch it if you want to cringe at how absolutely selfish and "me me me" he actually is. I don't think he has any real world skills. At all. And this is coming from someone who actually likes him as a personality.

Well part of it is a selfish attitude but part of it is that he's trying to record some content while playing so he's not paying close attention. Plus, MMO style grouping is highly, highly artificial. Certainly, when I read the class descriptions in Anarchy Online (my first MMO) I didn't begin to realize what those roles actually meant. These days the whole MMO community is just so bizarrely antisocial (at least that was my experience returning to WoW a while back) that I don't know how I would have learned the basics while actually in game.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm still not sure if I believe that Dan is an actual person and not a performance art of the World's Most Sheltered Man.

• Options
    He's almost like one of those weird mormon kids that grew up on a commune and are just now experiencing the outside world for the first time. He grew up with no connection to the outside world other than thousands of hours of wrestling VHS tapes.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Wow, I actually find Dan to be super pleasant and a welcome bastion of enthusiasm. He makes the podcast better IMO.

Also wrestling references are fine. Wrestling is awesome.

• Options
    Occasional wrestling references are fine, but it is seriously all the boy knows about.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Honestly I think you are greatly overstating how much he talks about wrestling.

• Options
    I never thought I'd find myself wishing Brad would start talking about Dota.

• Options
    Maybe we are, but when it's quite possibly the most boring goddamn topic in the world, it feels exaggerated. I'd honestly prefer if they started recapping spanish soap operas.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    If he let his inner child out, it would die of dysentery after living in it's own filth and eating eggshells.

At least Ryan's would be filming itself flushin' pies,

CBS: "Well, Penny Arcade does not like Dan. We will have to let him go."
    Dan: "What is this Penny Arcade you speak of?" :p

Really, I think they need an older guy on the show that has been around longer than Jeff. It would make things interesting.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's funny, the Giant Bomb crew in social entropy seem to be loving Dan and his ridiculous exploits.

• Options
    Maybe we are, but when it's quite possibly the most boring goddamn topic in the world, it feels exaggerated. I'd honestly prefer if they started recapping spanish soap operas.

This is silly.

Just cause you don't like wrestling doesn't mean it's some objectively bad thing to talk about.

Every single thing that they talk about on the Bombcast is boring to someone. And there are several topics that come up or get referenced multiple times.

You are basically complaining because a guy is into something you are not.

• Options
    And I totally wish Adam Sessler had made some more bombcast appearances at least before riding off into the sunset.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Sessler was getting that "cranky old man" vibe. He would be perfect at this point. I could see him barking at people to get their sh*t together.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    It's funny, the Giant Bomb crew in social entropy seem to be loving Dan and his ridiculous exploits.

And us over in SE were far more critical of the initial hire, too.

But he's won people over, mostly.

• Options

This is silly.

Just cause you don't like wrestling doesn't mean it's some objectively bad thing to talk about.

Every single thing that they talk about on the Bombcast is boring to someone. And there are several topics that come up or get referenced multiple times.

Yep, exactly. His primary interest in life is exceptionally stupid and boring to me. Of course I would complain about that. Just like I bitched when Brad would spend 20 minutes talking Dota every week. I'm just as free to complain about changes that make the show less enjoyable as they are to ignore my complaints. That's how this whole crazy thing works.

• Options

And us over in SE were far more critical of the initial hire, too.

But he's won people over, mostly.

Yeah, totally opposite trajectory for me. I wish it wasn't, but you know, opinions and shit.

• Options

This is silly.

Yep, exactly. His primary interest in life is exceptionally stupid and boring to me. Of course I would complain about that. Just like I bitched when Brad would spend 20 minutes talking Dota every week. I'm just as free to complain about changes that make the show less enjoyable as they are to ignore my complaints. That's how this whole crazy thing works.

But he doesn't spend 20 minutes every week talking about wrestling.

He barely mentions it at all.

• Options
    I guess if you compare it to the amount of time he spends talking about how he can't feed himself like an adult, maybe it doesn't seem like a huge chunk of time.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    this thread embodies in all ways the inevitable reaction to a new giant bomb hire

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Bombcast is usually a few hours long with usually four or more guys talking about a bunch of things.

I think it's silly to be mad that you don't find every single thing that comes up personally interesting. Like when it starts to actually dominate things several weeks in a row like DOTA talk then I think there's a valid complaint there. But that's not happening here.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I like that Dan is digging back on the old retro stuff. Vinny and Co. are doing that as well.

It gives the younger people more of an idea where games came from. As for myself, I like the nostalgia and seeing some things that I missed out on.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Some people in the SE thread pointed it out. Dan comes off as a guy who's basically just been playing whatevr AAA game IGN wants him to for years and is now suddenly discovering the depth of the gaming landscape again and it's like a wondrous new world.

He's just so earnest to explore weird games and it's endearing to me.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's at least 65% wrestling now.

(I hope I don't have to point out that I'm not "angry" or "mad" or any other serious sounding adjective about Dan and his wrestling boner, which I'm clearly exaggerating)

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Essentially, the journalists need to keep the show on topic. I always hate it when they run off on non-gaming tangents. If it is not part of a feature, don't do it.

It was hilarious when a stalker popped up on WoW and Brad went, "Oh God.".

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I love the tangents, but I love when they're funny. Like the international beefs, and the weird poop stuff, and bizarre food stories. Best parts of the bombcast.

This discussion has been closed.