Options

All will [chat] me, and despair

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Podly wrote: »
    do you search for sculptural meaning in painting?
    But what about paintings.....that are also scuptures??

2ce3ZBj.jpg?19ASPRD9.jpg?1

wandering on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Here's an artistic tactic that's pretty common: contrast a poppy melody with a creepy narrative
    an example I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esilpuVICXw

and lyrics:
    I see you nearly everyday.
    I see you, but you don't see me.
    I wish I had something clever to say.
    And I wish I had something better I could be.

We touched hands by the coffee machine the other day.
    I know you've forgotten already,
    But I'm gonna take that moment to the grave.
    To the grave.

Cuz I just wanna walk you home.
    I just wanna walk you home.
    Oh, yea.

I see you nearly every night.
    I see you when you're down in your house.
    With my night vision binoculars
    I creep quiet as a mouse.

And I get jealous when I see you stroking his hair.
    But it's okay, I tell myself 'cause I know
    It's only I'm not there.
    I'm not there.

Well I just need some time alone.
    I just need some time alone.

I'm the boy who watches the phone.
    I'm the boy who eats lunch on his own.
    I'm the boy with the monotone.
    I'm the boy who still lives at home.

I'm the boy with the ironed shirt.
    I'm the boy who watches you work.
    I know where you keep your skirts.
    I know where your secrets lurk.

I'm the boy that's calling your house.
    I'm the boy that's freaking you out.
    With my thermal flask of tea.
    Up there in your neighbor's tree.

I'm the boy that's crossing borders.
    I'm the boy with social disorders.
    I'm the boy with restraining orders.
    I'm the boy, yeah.

And I know that's it not right to creep.
    But I just wanna watch you sleep alone.

Notice that this description literally doesn't make sense if you think that lyrics don't contribute to the meaning of a piece of music. If that were so, there would be no sense in talking about whether the narrative was creepy and how that contrasts with the melody--the literal content of the narrative couldn't possibly matter in that way. But it does make sense to talk about that contrast. Ergo, the idea that the literal meaning of lyrics doesn't contribute is wrong.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    There are a fair number of musicians whom I consider to be poets who incidentally write musical accompaniment to their poems

In those cases the lyrics are the piece and the music is almost secondary

But most musicians are not them

This distinction seems really ad hoc. If you wanted, you could also divide painters into color-ists and spatial-ists depending on which aspect they were more skilled in. But this distinction would be artificial: color and space are both elements that co-occur in paintings, and which can both contribute to the overall meaning and aesthetic of the piece. So too with lyrics and melody.

except there really aren't entire genres of painting that use no color whatsoever

Even people who only compose in monochrome are deliberately choosing to do so rather than, say, just not having any colors in their available palette

in music not using a voice is quite common

this isn't even getting into stuff like scat singing, where the voice is used but poetic concerns are ignored entirely in favor of just making appropriate sounds for the piece

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I honestly saw that there was a brony convention recently and locally.

It made me judgmental enough that I never bothered watching the show.

I don't even know why! It looks pretty cool, to be totally honest.

It depends entirely what you're watching for.

But it's well written and well animated, and was definitely designed by someone who wanted girls' entertainment to be engaging and interesting and not something parents would hate, so it is kind of neat if you're sort of a feminist-interested person who looks at stuff sociologically sometimes.

I should really give it a fair chance.

I like what I have seen of it, it seems like a fun show.

But then...BRONY CONVENTIONS...

It's a fun show with a pretty ok fanbase overall, but with a really really big fucking obnoxious portion who make watching the show, like, their thing.

Though I also have really strong feeling about bronyism as a phenomenon that non-bronies care about and largely think they're used as a scapegoat and convenient socially acceptable funnel for a desire to gender police, so I mean, I kind of hate everyone here.

I can't really argue with this.

I think "brony" stuff is weird, but also kinda cool, if maybe a bit hard to discuss with.

I honestly don't get brony-ness.

Like there is fanart that's awesome and the toys can be cute and the show is pretty neat and honestly I can see someone being a fan of it the same way people become obsessive fans of anything, I just... like, find it weird that someone would identify so strongly with the show that it became an identity with its own name.

But whatever makes people happy!

Yeah, this is mainly my opinion as well.

I just don't really GET it for a lot of people.

Now I should also point out that I don't really get "Trekkies" either. Star Trek is awesome. But attaching your identity to a single show? Now I get confused.

And probably also offensive. Sorry, Trekkies! I still like you!

To be fair to trekkies, they at least don't appropriate the language of social exclusion and use it to accuse those mocking them of discrimination on a par with gender or race based exclusion.

I don't know what's up with bronies being so sensitive about people finding it silly.

The way people find it silly is really annoying and sexist, though.

Sometimes, yes.

However when you get to the stage of conventions, fanart, and cosplay with anything you're at a place most people will find silly.

Particularly if you insist on shoehorning your fandom into every aspect of your social life, which isn't really a thing i've seen happen with anything else.

That is true, though I think the constant effects of people giving you crap for unrelated stuff will build up so it's hard to separate it all.

Silas Brown (WHERE IS HE ANYWAY) said he had an MLP avatar for a while and got a ton of shit so he changed it. Simple little stuff, like the inability to even publically mention it without someone going off, all adds up to feeling othered and forming a community and such. As well as being sensitive.

And I am just always struck at how no one has ever cared about my avatar, which is nice but sorta... weird, all things considered.

Anyway, I guess I am just saying I get where the knee jerk sensitivity comes from; it comes from people being jerks in general whenever it comes up.

That said I agree with the insistence of shoehorning a thing in everywhere being weird, and seeing it a lot more with MLP than I do for anything else. That is really kind of strange. Though I'm mostly interested in why, psychologically and sociologically, that happens.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hai, music [chat].

Death to all butt but metal.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hai, music [chat].

DESTROY ALL FALSE POSEUR BUTT METAL

• Options
    @desc ^^^

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    And I said what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    She says
    I think I
    Remember the film and
    As I recall I think
    We both kinda liked it
    And I said
    well that's
    one thing we got.

See

I don't understand why other people don't realize

That this right here

Is the pinnacle of lyricism

It's about the banality of relationships, even as he's grasping for anything to demonstrate that they have a shared history, neither he nor the girl can summon enough emotion to have more than a meh response to a fabulous film, and can't even remember clearly what they thought of it.

Their hazy memory of a bland and colorless reaction to a cultural icon, and that listless memory being the touchstone for their relationship, predicts the flawed and bitter self-hatred of the genuine that is the hallmark of today's youth.

It's a brilliant song.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    do you search for sculptural meaning in painting?
    But what about paintings.....that are also scuptures??

2ce3ZBj.jpg?19ASPRD9.jpg?1

my mum has a painting like that (well, not exactly like that, but a primarily canvas-based work with sculptural elements) in her house. I mean, some paintings do have sculptural dimensions! But examining all paintings from a sculptural framework is silly. Similarly, some musics have lyrics. sometimes these lyrics have meaning. But their meaning is not a musical component

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    There are a fair number of musicians whom I consider to be poets who incidentally write musical accompaniment to their poems

In those cases the lyrics are the piece and the music is almost secondary

But most musicians are not them

This distinction seems really ad hoc. If you wanted, you could also divide painters into color-ists and spatial-ists depending on which aspect they were more skilled in. But this distinction would be artificial: color and space are both elements that co-occur in paintings, and which can both contribute to the overall meaning and aesthetic of the piece. So too with lyrics and melody.

except there really aren't entire genres of painting that use no color whatsoever

Even people who only compose in monochrome are deliberately choosing to do so rather than, say, just not having any colors in their available palette

in music not using a voice is quite common

this isn't even getting into stuff like scat singing, where the voice is used but poetic concerns are ignored entirely in favor of just making appropriate sounds for the piece

Yes, I would classify scat music as music where literal meaning is unimportant (after all, there typically is none). Similarly, I would so classify other music in which there are no lyrics. My claim has never been that literal meaning is important to all music, or even that literal meaning is important to all music with lyrics, but just that it's important to some music with lyrics. If you want, you can reclassify that as 'poetry accompanied with a score.' But that reclassification ignores the way that the poem and the score are not separate, as in my above example (where the point is that they gain by their contrast), and I see no reason to do so other than to make it come out right that 'lyrics don't matter.'

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    INTERESTING THINGS ARE HAPPENING

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2013/07/16/the-dell-vote-remains-too-close-to-call/

Silver Lake are the same people that flipped Skype, and purchased GoDaddy. :o

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    And I said what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    She says
    I think I
    Remember the film and
    As I recall I think
    We both kinda liked it
    And I said
    well that's
    one thing we got.

See

I don't understand why other people don't realize

That this right here

Is the pinnacle of lyricism

It's about the banality of relationships, even as he's grasping for anything to demonstrate that they have a shared history, neither he nor the girl can summon enough emotion to have more than a meh response to a fabulous film, and can't even remember clearly what they thought of it.

Their hazy memory of a bland and colorless reaction to a cultural icon, and that listless memory being the touchstone for their relationship, predicts the flawed and bitter self-hatred of the genuine that is the hallmark of today's youth.

It's a brilliant song.

Days like these spool

Long days of hard work followed by slightly more drinking than is respectable

Days like these are when you and I get each other, man

• Options
    edited July 2013
    they don't matter to me

/solipsism

edit: realtalk: the key word is musically

as in color, tone, pitch, rhythm, etc

they affect a couple of these things in a small but important way

and yeah, for a speaker of the language meaning can give an emotional shade that might otherwise not exist

but otherwise they are such a tiny part of composition, only apply to one instrument, and are generally overvalued by nonmusicians to an astounding degree

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    i guess a good example of a song whose lyrics are important to the work is this south african apartheid-era protest song that keeps getting stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNNfAuMq-M0

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    My new rental car is pretty cool. A Nissan "Sunny." It's got a cassette player, which is awesome because I brought along my cassette collection hoping I'd get a chance to play them.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hai, music [chat].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yExwkQYcp0

工事中
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Weather looks good today.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    i guess a good example of a song whose lyrics are important to the work is this south african apartheid-era protest song that keeps getting stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNNfAuMq-M0

Yeah, you can broaden that to 'all folk/protest music ever'

one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz40LZHO0lI

• Options
    almost all of the people I consider poets who write music for poems are folk musicians

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    the best part about MLP is that john delancy also plays a whimsical godlike villain

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    maybe i should have made that edit its own post since its considerably longer and kind of stuck on a joke post

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
  • Options
    god is it like folk music hour in chat or something now?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Yep.

Or.. is it?

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Look, I'm not saying that you are to blame for this.

But it's pretty obviously your fault.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

can you help me get my suspenders on

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    This summer weather has been nice, but it has reinforced my desire not to live somewhere where aircon is a necessity

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    This summer weather has been nice, but it has reinforced my desire not to live somewhere where aircon is a necessity

Meh. It's only necessary once temps get to around 40C, and even then, you really only just need a bunch of ice water, a wet burlap sack, and some shade.

• Options
    y'all can call me by my other middle name, Balrog.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Lots of Cambridge's parks are common ground meaning that if you so fancy you can graze your animals there. And people do this. So occasionally a park just has a herd of cows eating out of the bins.

Today, it looked like a junction might shutdown because somebody had left a gate open and the cows were spilling out onto the pavement.

Oddly small cows though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    maybe i should have made that edit its own post since its considerably longer and kind of stuck on a joke post

I also don't know what to say about them being overvalued by the laypeople, given that the vast majority of what the laypeople consume is music (pop music) where they are relatively important. Laypeople care about lyrics because they listen to lyric music, not oboe solos.

If your point is that there's a whole world of music where lyrics aren't really important, then okay. There are indeed all sorts of oboe solos, and etc. etc. But that's not what people are talking about when they say that lyrics matter. They're talking about what they hear, and how it impacts them; what they hear is lyric music and in that music the lyrics (often) matter a lot to the aesthetics of the piece.

• Options

Meh. It's only necessary once temps get to around 40C, and even then, you really only just need a bunch of ice water, a wet burlap sack, and some shade.

Says you! I have had trouble sleeping this week, except when in a hotel with aircon!

• Options

Says you! I have had trouble sleeping this week, except when in a hotel with aircon!

Yeah, if you're not used to it, then it can be super uncomfortable.

• Options

Yeah, if you're not used to it, then it can be super uncomfortable.

Let us all move to the desert and see who is unmanned by the heat or the feral camels

• Options
    There is a reporter talking about railway worker safety standards on the radio and he has the best accent, it sounds just like the old school BBC/NZBC news voice of the 1980s and earlier

• Options

I also don't know what to say about them being overvalued by the laypeople, given that the vast majority of what the laypeople consume is music (pop music) where they are relatively important. Laypeople care about lyrics because they listen to lyric music, not oboe solos.

If your point is that there's a whole world of music where lyrics aren't really important, then okay. There are indeed all sorts of oboe solos, and etc. etc. But that's not what people are talking about when they say that lyrics matter. They're talking about what they hear, and how it impacts them; what they hear is lyric music and in that music the lyrics (often) matter a lot to the aesthetics of the piece.

my point is the way in which they matter is not musical in nature

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have a doctors appointment today and am nervous when usually I am not.

Also stressed about making it in time since I am at work on the opposite side of the city and Stockholm traffic jams during mid day are completely fucking random.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

1) I still find that distinction artificial

2) I don't think that's where we started out at all (which was with "who even pays attention to lyrics?/ The most important thing about lyrics is consonance and meter/ vague "literal meaning" and silliness like "message" are dumb dumb dumb")

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    I have a doctors appointment today and am nervous when usually I am not.

Also stressed about making it in time since I am at work on the opposite side of the city and Stockholm traffic jams during mid day are completely fucking random.

Just hail a passing boat. I am of the view there must be a boat going everywhere in Stockholm

• Options

1) I still find that distinction artificial

2) I don't think that's where we started out at all (which was with "who even pays attention to lyrics?/ The most important thing about lyrics is consonance and meter/ vague "literal meaning" and silliness like "message" are dumb dumb dumb")

1) Well, there's an entire academic structure that doesn't and that's where I'm coming from so I'll just let them argue for me from now on

2) Please don't confuse my hyperbolic poasting with actual considered positions

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.