Options

All will [chat] me, and despair

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The lyrics in Tom's Diner are at least spare and evocative of something that's supposed to be mundane. It has a thing to do and it does it. Breakfast at Tiffany's is just searching in the dark. Full of random words until it hits the meter of the song.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    If there is a hit pop song with lyrics more painful than "Breakfast at Tiffany's", I can't think of it at the moment.

Do we get to involve the Vengaboys and/or Aqua?

Edit: Ooh. OOH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

Edit x2: See also "everything 4 Non Blondes ever did".

dporowski on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Neco wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I honestly saw that there was a brony convention recently and locally.

It made me judgmental enough that I never bothered watching the show.

I don't even know why! It looks pretty cool, to be totally honest.

It depends entirely what you're watching for.

But it's well written and well animated, and was definitely designed by someone who wanted girls' entertainment to be engaging and interesting and not something parents would hate, so it is kind of neat if you're sort of a feminist-interested person who looks at stuff sociologically sometimes.

I should really give it a fair chance.

I like what I have seen of it, it seems like a fun show.

But then...BRONY CONVENTIONS...

It's a fun show with a pretty ok fanbase overall, but with a really really big fucking obnoxious portion who make watching the show, like, their thing.

Though I also have really strong feeling about bronyism as a phenomenon that non-bronies care about and largely think they're used as a scapegoat and convenient socially acceptable funnel for a desire to gender police, so I mean, I kind of hate everyone here.

I can't really argue with this.

I think "brony" stuff is weird, but also kinda cool, if maybe a bit hard to discuss with.

ehh... doing a google image search for anything associated with my little pony drives any possible trace of cool from bronyism.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

goddamn hawaiians taking OUR instrument and totally ruining it for everyone

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    And I said what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    She says
    I think I
    Remember the film and
    As I recall I think
    We both kinda liked it
    And I said
    well that's
    one thing we got.

See

I don't understand why other people don't realize

That this right here

Is the pinnacle of lyricism

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

But it's well written and well animated, and was definitely designed by someone who wanted girls' entertainment to be engaging and interesting and not something parents would hate, so it is kind of neat if you're sort of a feminist-interested person who looks at stuff sociologically sometimes.

It's a fun show with a pretty ok fanbase overall, but with a really really big fucking obnoxious portion who make watching the show, like, their thing.

Though I also have really strong feeling about bronyism as a phenomenon that non-bronies care about and largely think they're used as a scapegoat and convenient socially acceptable funnel for a desire to gender police, so I mean, I kind of hate everyone here.

I think "brony" stuff is weird, but also kinda cool, if maybe a bit hard to discuss with.

I honestly don't get brony-ness.

Like there is fanart that's awesome and the toys can be cute and the show is pretty neat and honestly I can see someone being a fan of it the same way people become obsessive fans of anything, I just... like, find it weird that someone would identify so strongly with the show that it became an identity with its own name.

But whatever makes people happy!

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    You can't edit in @ signals.

@Hamurabi

Racism.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    But then again I have a pretty strong identity anyway in a way a lot of people who are mostly sociological majorities don't so I don't know what that's like.

I used to but I've kind of forgotten.

• Options
    who even pays attention to lyrics?

The most important thing about lyrics is consonance and meter

vague "literal meaning" and silliness like "message" are dumb dumb dumb

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I have heard the same song about a million times in electrolysis and had to have the lyrics in front of me before I realized what the words were.

And they are pretty calmly spoken without much over them.

Though to be fair I was a little distracted >.>

This song actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobu_4uASfE

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    anybody who goes "aha, I have the loyalty of a significant majority of the peasantry and intellectuals: you'll never, ever murder us into oblivion, and everyone one of us you strike down will only make us stronger!" has never reflected upon the european wars of religion

the "they shot one of us - let us unite and rise up!" response has sharply diminishing returns
    And yet, here the Muslim Brotherhood stands.

Well, stood.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

Like there is fanart that's awesome and the toys can be cute and the show is pretty neat and honestly I can see someone being a fan of it the same way people become obsessive fans of anything, I just... like, find it weird that someone would identify so strongly with the show that it became an identity with its own name.

Yeah, this is mainly my opinion as well.

I just don't really GET it for a lot of people.

Now I should also point out that I don't really get "Trekkies" either. Star Trek is awesome. But attaching your identity to a single show? Now I get confused.

And probably also offensive. Sorry, Trekkies! I still like you!

• Options

It's really very simple:

"You're a grown ass man."

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And "home".

I dislike flying.

Also nothing has tried to kill me yet, however there's a bird outside acting suspicious.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    tido14tido14 Registered User regular
    Why do all superheroes have a super deep voice? They must all go to the same speech therapist.

The Thing (falsetto): "It's clobberin' time!"
    Therapist: "Lower! Lower register!"

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I wish there was a 'strongly disagree' button.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    And "home".

I dislike flying.

Also nothing has tried to kill me yet, however there's a bird outside acting suspicious.

Hi Mortious!

Be nice to that bird he is a friend of mine.

But he has an evil twin so make sure to confirm his identity before being too nice.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    hbDpGjv.png

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

I wish I were musically educated.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    lyrics are just a component of the rhythm and timbre of the vocal instrument

nothing more

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    do you search for sculptural meaning in painting?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

I wish I were musically educated.

It's true, I do.

BUT ALSO BESIDE THE POINT!

• Options

If a painting had words in it, I would take the meanings of those words to be part of the piece.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Now I should also point out that I don't really get "Trekkies" either. Star Trek is awesome. But attaching your identity to a single show? Now I get confused.

To be fair to trekkies, they at least don't appropriate the language of social exclusion and use it to accuse those mocking them of discrimination on a par with gender or race based exclusion.

I don't know what's up with bronies being so sensitive about people finding it silly.

• Options

If a painting had words in it, I would take the meanings of those words to be part of the piece.

Sometimes they aren't!

It's not high art, but I present Engrish T-Shirts as an example where actual words and literal meaning take a back seat to shape and form and other design elements

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

To be fair to trekkies, they at least don't appropriate the language of social exclusion and use it to accuse those mocking them of discrimination on a par with gender or race based exclusion.

I don't know what's up with bronies being so sensitive about people finding it silly.

The way people find it silly is really annoying and sexist, though.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    lyrics are just a component of the rhythm and timbre of the vocal instrument

nothing more

While I agree with you mostly, the meaning of a word can still significantly color the emotional content you get out of it in a song.

I think the idea of the words forming a narrative or something is usually dumb, but there are reasons outside of just sound to pick particular words and/or particular languages for your lyrics.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Sometimes they aren't!

It's not high art, but I present Engrish T-Shirts as an example where actual words and literal meaning take a back seat to shape and form and other design elements

Sometimes they aren't, but then again sometimes they are.

I'm not saying lyrics are always important in a piece. But you started saying they were never important. And that's just silly!

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    There are a fair number of musicians whom I consider to be poets who incidentally write musical accompaniment to their poems

In those cases the lyrics are the piece and the music is almost secondary

But most musicians are not them

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I feel like such a music plebe

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And "home".

I dislike flying.

Hi Mortious!

But he has an evil twin so make sure to confirm his identity before being too nice.

Does this one look familier?

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w380/avzweblizard/photo_zpsd236ad5e.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

hugs

at least you weren't an orch dork in school

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    There are a fair number of musicians whom I consider to be poets who incidentally write musical accompaniment to their poems

In those cases the lyrics are the piece and the music is almost secondary

But most musicians are not them

This distinction seems really ad hoc. If you wanted, you could also divide painters into color-ists and spatial-ists depending on which aspect they were more skilled in. But this distinction would be artificial: color and space are both elements that co-occur in paintings, and which can both contribute to the overall meaning and aesthetic of the piece. So too with lyrics and melody.

• Options
    And "home".

I dislike flying.

Hi Mortious!

Oh yeah no stay away from him.

He's a dick.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

The way people find it silly is really annoying and sexist, though.

Sometimes, yes.

However when you get to the stage of conventions, fanart, and cosplay with anything you're at a place most people will find silly.

Particularly if you insist on shoehorning your fandom into every aspect of your social life, which isn't really a thing i've seen happen with anything else.

• Options
    And "home".

I dislike flying.

Hi Mortious!

That bird is ready to take on the day!

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    If there is a hit pop song with lyrics more painful than "Breakfast at Tiffany's", I can't think of it at the moment.

Do we get to involve the Vengaboys and/or Aqua?

Edit: Ooh. OOH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

Edit x2: See also "everything 4 Non Blondes ever did".

Philosopheeeeeeeee.... is the talk on a cereal box!

/commits seppuku

• Options

hugs

at least you weren't an orch dork in school

I didn't know orchestra people suffered that particular appellation in school.

I just heard band geek.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I mean, the terrible lyrics are kind of the point

but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26hsZqwveA

Better version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgSyGa94y4

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

In retrospect that's such a weird, almost nonsensical statement from a sitting President.

This discussion has been closed.