As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] - The thrilling F2P adventures of Henroid, Bounty Hunter and snappy dresser.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    If it's possible, it'd probably require stacking as many XP boosters as possible, but I rather doubt you can get by on class missions alone.

If youre subscribed and have xp boosts and pay for the flashpoint (definitely worth it) and class quest (mediocre) xp boosts its definitely possible to hit 55 by only doing class quests and flashpoints since thats basically how all of my characters have hit 50 for quite a while now.

Granted, I do the planet quest for the first couple of planets (usually through DK/Coruscant) and then the Makeb quests.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    jedi knight is afflicted probably the most by bioware's biggest writing crutch, which is that sometimes your character acts like an asshole for no discernible reason whatsoever other than that there needs to be a 'bad' option. Like in the example you mentioned there's no reason
    that the dark side option couldn't have been 'fuck you dude, flesh raiders can't be jedis' and then he runs off to continue learning the darkside stuff on his own

that would at least make some kind of sense in the context of what's going on on tython and wouldn't make the character out to be a weird sociopath

but, :bioware:

some of the dark side knight options aren't so bad though, I liked the parts where you had the option to side with the republic military in opposition to whatever random jedi X wanted you to do

Lucky for me I have no desire to play my Jedi Knight dark-aligned. Though I've gotta say, even on the light side some of the lines are cheesy. "Allow me to do this." If I hear that one more time I'm gonna jump off the Coruscant docking platform.

I can't decide if I like or despise the theme behind a lot of Light / Dark decisions across the game (regardless of class, but mostly emphasized on the Jedi Knight). Basically Light Side is "do what's right in the moment" and Dark Side (or neutral) is "do what's best for the long-term or a future goal."

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure that out for awhile. According to the site, the upcoming rewards are:

May 4th - Subscribers get 1000 cartel coins.
    May 11th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, and 3 extra rooms, but I don't think you can actually use it until early access starts a little bit later.
    June 24th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, but not with the extra rooms, and subscribers can start using strongholds.
    July 29th - Preferred players can start using strongholds.
    August - Free players can start using strongholds.

So if you only do 1 month, you either want to start it before May 4th to get the coins and the upgraded stronghold, or just before June 24th to get the stronghold and early access. I'll probably sub for a month starting next week, although it'll be a little annoying to get a stronghold that I can't use for 2 and a half months.

so what I'm getting from this is, sub at like the end of april, then maybe extend at the end of may and hit the june 24 date too

The problem is that I think you need an active sub throughout the early access, or else you will get pushed back into the preferred group. So if your account ran out on say June 30th, you'd get to try out your stronghold for 6 days, then get kicked out until the end of July.

I'm not totally sure if that is accurate, but it's what happened to me during the starfighter early access period.

heh, that actually doesn't sound like such a bad option. Player housing has never done much for me

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    By the way speaking of character themes, my Imperial Agent - I've been playing him Light aligned, Operative spec'd for stabbing. I noticed last week (and I dunno if I mentioned it here) that every knife ability triggers a sinister laugh from my character.

Which in my RPer head drives me CRAZY. I justified his combat method by writing (in my head) (for now) that if he's gonna kill someone, it should be up close and personal so he never forgets the awful shit he's done to get the job done. But then when I'm lacerating and backstabbing dudes, it's "Hue hue hue."

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    By the way speaking of character themes, my Imperial Agent - I've been playing him Light aligned, Operative spec'd for stabbing. I noticed last week (and I dunno if I mentioned it here) that every knife ability triggers a sinister laugh from my character.

Which in my RPer head drives me CRAZY. I justified his combat method by writing (in my head) (for now) that if he's gonna kill someone, it should be up close and personal so he never forgets the awful shit he's done to get the job done. But then when I'm lacerating and backstabbing dudes, it's "Hue hue hue."

I totally understand how that would be annoying/terrible if you were RPing a certain way, but personally that was one of my favorite things when I was playing my Operative.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

I totally understand how that would be annoying/terrible if you were RPing a certain way, but personally that was one of my favorite things when I was playing my Operative.

Oh don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise. It's just one of those innocuous things I wish had an on/off switch. Combat barks. Maybe they can have stuff for the Jedi akin to Link from Legend of Zelda, hopping around with a lightsaber going "HUP HYA HWWWWAAAAH!"

• Options
    Just wrapped up the Inquisitor start on Korriban. I have yet to see how the rest of the prologue plays out and what it leads into, but I'm enjoying it so far. Shoulda named my guy Rodney Dangerfield. I took the Sorcerer (Lightning) route, because I just wanna play a straight up caster. From the look of the talent tree it's the most obvious "did you play WoW? Okay do more of that."

Seen the start of almost every Imperial character. Still gotta see the Consular and Smuggler.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    As an aside, I am currently on a break from playing this game right now after my very enjoyable few months playing it on the tail end of last year. Final Fantasy 14 has been surprisingly sustainable and enjoyable right now so I envision I'll be playing that for the foreseeable future.

We are getting close to 100 pages so, if someone wants to make the new thread, such as @Cambiata, let me know in PMs and I can set you up with some OP stuff to get you started.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    jedi knight is afflicted probably the most by bioware's biggest writing crutch, which is that sometimes your character acts like an asshole for no discernible reason whatsoever other than that there needs to be a 'bad' option. Like in the example you mentioned there's no reason
    that the dark side option couldn't have been 'fuck you dude, flesh raiders can't be jedis' and then he runs off to continue learning the darkside stuff on his own

that would at least make some kind of sense in the context of what's going on on tython and wouldn't make the character out to be a weird sociopath

but, :bioware:

some of the dark side knight options aren't so bad though, I liked the parts where you had the option to side with the republic military in opposition to whatever random jedi X wanted you to do

Lucky for me I have no desire to play my Jedi Knight dark-aligned. Though I've gotta say, even on the light side some of the lines are cheesy. "Allow me to do this." If I hear that one more time I'm gonna jump off the Coruscant docking platform.

I can't decide if I like or despise the theme behind a lot of Light / Dark decisions across the game (regardless of class, but mostly emphasized on the Jedi Knight). Basically Light Side is "do what's right in the moment" and Dark Side (or neutral) is "do what's best for the long-term or a future goal."

What bugs me about Darkside choices especially on the Sith side is they are so short sighted. They are in the moment psycho or hey fuck you I don't want to build an army of allies and underlings because murder! Drives me crazy. Part of the reason I picked up diplomacy was to cover my "light side" moments where I instead grab a new underling for my future plans. The Sith Warrior dark side choices all feel kind of comically stupid evil rather than long term planning take over the universe evil of Palpatine or the stoic bad ass of Vader or even the pompous dick face that is Dooku. Hell Revan on the dark side feels more long term than the lets stab to stab now actions.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular

The giggle was removed in a patch once.

You don't know the lengths Imperial Intelligence went to in order to get it back.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Oh don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise. It's just one of those innocuous things I wish had an on/off switch. Combat barks. Maybe they can have stuff for the Jedi akin to Link from Legend of Zelda, hopping around with a lightsaber going "HUP HYA HWWWWAAAAH!"

I'll give you a little hint. While most of the characters, especially the force users, don't really have a middle ground you could strive for, the Agent and I believe the Smuggler have endings where you stay neutral. So don't just assume you have to pick a side with the non-force users, because with the Agent you can end your story being pretty much Imperial Batman... which is fucking awesome.

But honestly, one of the more awesome things about the stories is that, to a point, you can RP your character however you want. My Scoundrel is a pretty Zabrak in an elegant red dress, wielding a gun name Sparkles that shoots pink lasers, who I'm working up the Pugilist skill tree with. She is Pretty Pretty Princess Tiny Fists. It's hilarious what you can do with the choices if you have a vivid enough imagination.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    not all of the dark side options are totally crazy, but lots of them are. They have to fit a lot of variation in character development into the dark/light dichotomy.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've now down the 2 new FPs a little over 20 times - I have 9 55s and I did the story mission on each of them, as well as doing it on a few random queues. During that time, the relics have dropped about 4 times, the pet about 3 times. I'd probably be complaining more about the low drop rate if the story mission didn't give an automatic relic drop for mission completion, so at this point the toon that I wanted tricked out in that legacy gear has every piece except for the feet wraps (9 stories plus I managed to win 1 loot roll). Knowing Bioware, they're probably going to get mad that people with a lot of alts got the gear so quickly, and will up the relic cost of each piece in a future patch.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    jedi knight is afflicted probably the most by bioware's biggest writing crutch, which is that sometimes your character acts like an asshole for no discernible reason whatsoever other than that there needs to be a 'bad' option.

In the intro sequence, it feels like there are such obvious "I'M GOING TO GO DARKSIDE ON YOUR ASSES" when talking to the council. That you can only really justify the choices if your character is an idiot.

Relating to "understandable" darkside choices, like with the romance you are forced to spy on. Bioware seems to go out of their way to make it pretty clear that the girl is definitely up to no good even if Spanios (the horned dude) seems like a decent guy. Had they both seemed decent at least it would have given you more of a feeling of guilt and question the order some.

Like I wanted to go that route but as soon as you hear the nasty tone in the girl's voice ....it's just like "I really don't want to be on your side".

edit: and like you can deny the reward but it takes awhile to get there. Otherwise at the start you just think it's "tell the council or be a corrupt jedi who accepts bribes as opposed to one who disagrees with said code". Since the couple throw out the bribe prospect so early without feeling you out.

Egos on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So this Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

It says it's free to subscribers? Does that count if you only do a 1 month thing?

And does buying it straight give you a months subscription?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

It says it's free to subscribers? Does that count if you only do a 1 month thing?

Yes, and I doubt it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yes, and I doubt it.

So subscribe for 1 month and i have it forever?

That seems like a much better deal than just buying it.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Okay, Corso, you're still in my bad books, but you did earn a couple points back as we entered the Organa palace.

“What do we do if some duke or baroness shows up? Salute? Curtsy? Wink knowingly?”

EDIT: But I just noticed one of the "You summoned me?" lines from Bowdaar, and given his past, I have to imagine it's a deliberate reference, so he vaults up a few more points too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s

Shadowen on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I dropped from my first group in the group finder. It was Athiss, not my favorite but I figured at level 20 heal speced I can heal it.

Sadly our tank could not tank it.

I just didn't want to deal with the bills on a group of randoms.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I dropped from my first group in the group finder. It was Athiss, not my favorite but I figured at level 20 heal speced I can heal it.

Did your tank have a shield-gen on? I had a Foundry group once where the tank's inability to stay upright was due to him using a regular generator.

• Options
    KassKass Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Did your tank have a shield-gen on? I had a Foundry group once where the tank's inability to stay upright was due to him using a regular generator.
    "But guys... I get more strength (and/or aim/wisdom) from using this one!"

I think I might have been in that group with you (the tank was a moron... not so much because he did that in the first place (I mean, everyone makes mistakes and starts out new at some point), but he would listen when someone pointed it out).

Kass on
  • Options
    Oh man, I have on more than one occasion made it halfway through an instance before realizing I'm not in tanking gear. I've never had it pointed out to me though, if I had I would most definite have switched gear.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "But I do moar damage in this stance!"

That's where most ppl seem to leave.
    I try to explain to them.
    The concept of the MMO trinity isn't obvious to anyone except people who have played (a lot of) MMOs.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yeah the other day someone was ranting at me about how I should have half my guardian tank's skill points in one of the dps trees.

Though this one I can forgive because when the game launched, Bioware put a bunch of defensive stuff in the Guardian's vigilance DPS tree so I used to run that hybrid spec myself. But when they moved most of those defensives over to the defense tree where they belong, then nerfed they two they had left over, it was no longer worth it. I expect the guy ranting at me was just someone who didn't pay close enough attention to the patches to realize the changed and/or read old material about the hybrid spec and didn't realize it was no longer worth it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah the other day someone was ranting at me about how I should have half my guardian tank's skill points in one of the dps trees.

Though this one I can forgive because when the game launched, Bioware put a bunch of defensive stuff in the Guardian's vigilance DPS tree so I used to run that hybrid spec myself. But when they moved most of those defensives over to the defense tree where they belong, then nerfed they two they had left over, it was no longer worth it. I expect the guy ranting at me was just someone who didn't pay close enough attention to the patches to realize the changed and/or read old material about the hybrid spec and didn't realize it was no longer worth it.

When was this?

I mean, there's balance patches, and there's an expansion's rejiggering of the whole talent system.

I also think part of the issue comes from soloing biases combined with laziness. I mean, everyone knows it intellectually, but I don't know how many people really notice: tanking solo or story content at higher level, especially if you decide to run your healer companion for safety's sake, takes noticeably longer, even when it's just groups of standard mobs. Your survivability is of course greatly increased, so enemies that make hash of DPS builds are often stymied while you slowly grind them down, but it's still slow. So some people might build for DPS out of impatience and then forget to switch over to tanking when running as a tank, or decide not to out of laziness. "Hey, I have the tank stance and the pull abilities; that's all I need."

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

When was this?

I mean, there's balance patches, and there's an expansion's rejiggering of the whole talent system.

I also think part of the issue comes from soloing biases combined with laziness. I mean, everyone knows it intellectually, but I don't know how many people really notice: tanking solo or story content at higher level, especially if you decide to run your healer companion for safety's sake, takes noticeably longer, even when it's just groups of standard mobs. Your survivability is of course greatly increased, so enemies that make hash of DPS builds are often stymied while you slowly grind them down, but it's still slow. So some people might build for DPS out of impatience and then forget to switch over to tanking when running as a tank, or decide not to out of laziness. "Hey, I have the tank stance and the pull abilities; that's all I need."

Guardian tank was just awful at launch. Horrible survivability. And things like Commanding Awe at the top of the vigilance tree were quite a bit better than the stuff at the top of the defense tree, because at the time the top four rows of the defense tree had nothing defense related except Shield Specialization (and at launch, shield was horribly gimped as well, so it actually wasn't even worth getting that extra 4% shield chance anyway). Guardian slash now does a damage debuff, but at launch Guardian slash was damage-dealing only, and Overhead Slash on the vigilance tree was the same skill only more powerful. Someone actually did a fairly detailed write up about the advantages of the hybrid spec at the time, but they've deleted their commentary from the SWTOR.com forums. Bioware made several incremental changes to improving Guardian survivability, I can't remember which was the 'big' patch that made me leave vigilance behind forever. But the final death knell was making unremitting a dps-stance skill.

• Options
    So just a bit of catch-up here on my characters, but behind spoilers since story discussion stuff may be included.

Inquisitor
    Got him to level 20 and just about to take off for Balmorra. Double XP weekend sure did help the progress. I'm digging the Lightning tree as a sorcerer. It's just so straight-forward and very WoW-player friendly in understanding what benefits you most. I'm not a fan of my big hulking tank though. Which sucks because I'll need him to survive. I'm trying to play the character as reluctantly Sith, as the slave-start to the story implies. But I'm also trying to play him as having been educated and wanting to pursue an education on the Force, which leans him Light side. I don't think I made any Dark Side decisions yet. He's not snappy at his current master either, because she treated him fairly. He's not going to get into a useless power struggle.

Agent
    I had to wrap up Tatooine. And just did, thank goodness. The XP boost kinda helped me get a bit of an edge in finishing up the content more briskly than it took on my Bounty Hunter. My whole lady-killer angle kinda bit me in the ass during the story; some assassin cloaked herself to look like the Ghost informant, and I forgot what her personality was like so I was all "SURE JUST FLIRT." And then got stabbed. OH WELL. Empire forever. Just as long as it's not unnecessarily cruel.

Bounty Hunter
    Okay I haven't played him in a while so he's still barely started out on Taris. But I finally found something reasonably priced on the auction house (titles unlock for the account) so I can go back out and earn money on him again. Which I'll do tonight!

Trooper
    I haven't played her in a while either, she's still at the start of Nar'Shaddaa but also a little over-leveled for it. Dunno how it happened.

Jedi Knight
    I restarted this one because I made bad talent choices but also his face looked dumb and too much like my Bounty Hunter. I'm about to land him on Taris.

• Options
    So just a bit of catch-up here on my characters, but behind spoilers since story discussion stuff may be included.

Inquisitor
    Got him to level 20 and just about to take off for Balmorra. Double XP weekend sure did help the progress. I'm digging the Lightning tree as a sorcerer. It's just so straight-forward and very WoW-player friendly in understanding what benefits you most. I'm not a fan of my big hulking tank though. Which sucks because I'll need him to survive. I'm trying to play the character as reluctantly Sith, as the slave-start to the story implies. But I'm also trying to play him as having been educated and wanting to pursue an education on the Force, which leans him Light side. I don't think I made any Dark Side decisions yet. He's not snappy at his current master either, because she treated him fairly. He's not going to get into a useless power struggle.

Agent
    I had to wrap up Tatooine. And just did, thank goodness. The XP boost kinda helped me get a bit of an edge in finishing up the content more briskly than it took on my Bounty Hunter. My whole lady-killer angle kinda bit me in the ass during the story; some assassin cloaked herself to look like the Ghost informant, and I forgot what her personality was like so I was all "SURE JUST FLIRT." And then got stabbed. OH WELL. Empire forever. Just as long as it's not unnecessarily cruel.

Bounty Hunter
    Okay I haven't played him in a while so he's still barely started out on Taris. But I finally found something reasonably priced on the auction house (titles unlock for the account) so I can go back out and earn money on him again. Which I'll do tonight!

Trooper
    I haven't played her in a while either, she's still at the start of Nar'Shaddaa but also a little over-leveled for it. Dunno how it happened.

Jedi Knight
    I restarted this one because I made bad talent choices but also his face looked dumb and too much like my Bounty Hunter. I'm about to land him on Taris.

With regard to talents, you should be able to respec your talent choices on the fleet, at the far end of the Combat Training wing. I think the first time, it's free; subsequent respecs cost credits unless you're a subscriber. But yeah, if you don't like the face and you're straight F2P and you're not yet halfway through, just restart it.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Oh man, I have on more than one occasion made it halfway through an instance before realizing I'm not in tanking gear. I've never had it pointed out to me though, if I had I would most definite have switched gear.

I think my record for not noticing I'm wearing DPS gear is four bosses deep in an op.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    My Jedi Knight was only level 15 so it was only a handful of hours difference.

• Options
    I just met Vector on my Agent. What the hell. D:

Oh also I was neglecting doing those on-rails space missions so I did one I hadn't before. It was like, IN an asteroid belt. And it was scary as shit. So much instant-death around me.

• Options

Oh also I was neglecting doing those on-rails space missions so I did one I hadn't before. It was like, IN an asteroid belt. And it was scary as shit. So much instant-death around me.

I hate that one (and its variants). There's one point I almost always fuck up.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

I hate that one (and its variants). There's one point I almost always fuck up.

There was one point when you have to fly in a very narrow space. And of course, when you start to go through it (and can't move) Republic ships come at you and start firing at an angle you can't retaliate from. It's like.... graaaaaah. But still I was pleased that not all the missions are "hurr durr."

Also I did another mission that gave me plenty of time to actually fight capital ships; I was able to fully take out a couple for the first time (I'm getting less shy about missile use). I dunno. I like the on-rails thing. It's no different than any shmup I've played. Whatevs. I tried looking up passes on the auction house but didn't see any. Passes for everything else in the game, but no passes for what I wanted. :(

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I picked this back up today. Is the Shadowlands guild still around? If so, Sabeta would like an invite :smiley:

Also if I were to drop a few bucks on the store, what's the best stuff for mainly story mode leveling?

captaink on
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    I picked this back up today. Is the Shadowlands guild still around? If so, Sabeta would like an invite :smiley:

Also if I were to drop a few bucks on the store, what's the best stuff for mainly story mode leveling?

Rocket boost with max cooldown.

• Options
    Is it me or is Taris totally a mess in terms of mission progress across the landscape for Imperial characters? It has me hopping over great distances to speak to a dude, then going back to where I came from for objectives.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Inquisitor

[/spoiler]

Poor guy. I'm awaiting your inevitable corruption.

The inquisitor is the hardest guy for me to rationalize Light side choices for after the first chapter. It's a wonderful story though.

• Options
    Damn the Sith Juggernaught Dark Side romance got creepy quickly.

It's actually making me uncomfortable.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Inquisitor

[/spoiler]

Poor guy. I'm awaiting your inevitable corruption.

The inquisitor is the hardest guy for me to rationalize Light side choices for after the first chapter. It's a wonderful story though.

Having not played a male inquisitor, I think its entirely possible that the voice actress is the reason dark side inquisitor is so much fun. That lady's sass is perfect.

• Options
    Damn the Sith Juggernaught Dark Side romance got creepy quickly.

It's actually making me uncomfortable.

whaaaat

jaessa is the best

NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.