As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCHRPG] Batman: Arkham Asylum- Act 2: Joker's Asylum

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Freeze gets the card into the reader this time, and suddenly there is a loud ringing noise. The fire sprinkler
    system goes off and water rains down onto the room. In seconds the gas goes away, leaving 3 guards and 1 prisoner weaken but alive. Ding-Dong "Ah hahahahahoho, looks like Frozen Fishsticks got a brain in there after all. Tell me, Freeze, what's Bats paying you for this? A better prison? New suit? Another frozen whore to experiment on? Why don't you just kill him and take your freedom? Or has your icy heart grown warmer? Heeheehee."

Try Again (3d6, 3d8): 3#1d6 6 3 1 3#1d8 2 3 2 9 d6 Taking that 1.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Officially laying claim to 3 XP from Rebuilding Phase for removing a Scene Distinction w/ Tech.

Mr. Freeze

Victor clenches his fists and manages to ignore the Joker's taunts. He slides the keycards into a pouch on his suit and takes a look around the damp room for anything useful, pausing to examine the guards as he passes them and make sure they're stable.

• Options
    "Come on, Freeze! What devilish plan do you have for Batman? Freeze his blood? Quick snap of the neck? We all know you got something planned and I want in on it. Ahahahahaha!"

The 3 guards and one prisoner survived the gas. The level 2 security doors, however, are still locked...

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I glare up at the speakers, briefly considering breaking them with my batarangs. It wouldn't be for any greater good, but it would be good to shut him up for awhile. I then glance over to Freeze. He hasn't tried anything yet, in spite of a couple opportunities to cause trouble. He could be calculating for the right moment, I would just have to ready.

"Just tune him out." I remark offhandedly, tapping the communications bead, "Nightwing, Batman, have you located the security room?"

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Calling @jdarksun or @dresdenphile Gotham needs heroes! Also, @Matev and @Auralynx you got alternate ways of getting out of rooms...

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Holy derp batman

Nightwing

I raise an eyebrow, unsure that the riddle could really be so easy. "Darkness? Really?" I type in the answer.

• Options
    The screen blinks "Correct" briefly before sparks erupt from the computer. "Did you think it be that easy?" A voice from the hall says and Nightwing and Batman turn to see the shadow of a man holding a question mark topped cane running past the door.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Nightwing

"Oh, this clearly isn't a trap..." I mutter as I turn and sprint after the fleeing figure. Thinking about his head start, I grab a bola from my utility belt in anticipation of evening the odds.
    Want me to roll for pursuit?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Bear with me; I'm dense. The room that the Riddler-shaped man just fled to, is that where we're headed anyway to do the manual hacking?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bear with me; I'm dense. The room that the Riddler-shaped man just fled to, is that where we're headed anyway to do the manual hacking?
    More like a hallway that you guys came from but he is running in the same direction.

And roll what you think is necessary, jdarksun.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mr. Freeze
    Freeze sighs and moves to examine the security doors, trying whichever keycard seems likely to work.

• Options
    More like a hallway that you guys came from but he is running in the same direction.

And roll what you think is necessary, jdarksun.
    Buddy d8, Something to Prove d4 (+1PP), Enhanced Reflexes d8, Swingline (Bola) d8, Acrobatic Master d10

Chase Riddler (?): 1#1d10 2 3#1d8 8 8 7 1#1d4 1

Rolled a 1, +1PP.

8+8=16 w/ d10 effect.

Net PP Gain: +2

• Options
    Nightwing burst out of the Security Room and gives chase. The shadowy figure barely gets to the end of the hall before Nightwing tackles him like he played on a NFL team. The two go rolling in a tangle heap of bodies until Nightwing notices that somewhere in all this, the figure is gone.

Instead of being in a hall, he's now in a dark room. It feels large even though Nightwing can't see anything and hush whispers let's him know that there are other people here. Suddenly, a spotlight appears, illuminating what feels to be the center of the room. Two bodies lie there, broken, twisted, and bloody. Both wearing the Flying Grayson uniforms...
    ************************************************************************************************************

Freeze tries all the keycards but none seem to work. One of the guards that survived the gas attack speaks up. "If you want to open that door, you need to get a red keycard. Or you can short out the connection. If the power is cut and the backup generators don't open after a few moments, the doors automatically open for safely reasons." The guard points up towards the ceiling. "That's that door's box there. You got to make sure back-up power doesn't kick in or that door will stay closed."
    Chasing Dreams and Schemes (2d6, 3d8, 1d10): 2#1d6 2 3 3#1d8 3 2 1 1#1d10 3 That's one fucked up roll: 6 d10

• Options
    Terry

"Shouldn't we...check in first," I ask as Nightwing hauls ass out of the room we're in.

I switch on my nightvision filters in the mask and follow him out of the room, hoping against hope that this isn't a trap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Future Batman's nightvision reveals that he is now in a cave. A familiar cave. During Terry's time, the Batcave was worst for wear as it had been years since Bruce gave up the mantle. But even then it wasn't as destroyed and haunting as this. The computers that once watched over Neo-Gotham from all the evils that plagued her where silent. The only thing that was new was a statue, of Batman in his prime. It took Terry only moments to figure out that it was a tombstone for Bruce Wayne.

"I remember it like it was yesterday." A voice from the shadows causes Terry to jump.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Terry

"&#F@!" I yell, jumping backwards and a Batarang ready to launch. "Who's there?"

I cycle through my scanners, trying to find a heat signature in the dark.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "Whoa there," A much older Nightwing says as he steps out of the shadows. He seems even older than the Dick Grayson from Terry's time and instead of his normal outfit he's in a Urban Assault Battle Armor, a special combat armor Wayne Enterprises made for all out war situations. "It's been awhile. Five years since Booster Gold took you into the past? Must have been just yesterday for you."

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Mr. Freeze

Victor looms over the helpful guard.

"Where can I get a red keycard, then?"

Then, surprisingly, he turns and resumes examining the door.

"I believe this sort of thing is more your area, Batman. However..."

Freeze withdraws a blue capsule about the size of a baseball from a pouch in the containment suit.

"Your security is chillingly inefficient."

Freeze slams the grenade into the door, coating it abruptly in a surprisingly thick layer of ice, then fires his jury-rigged freeze ray at the junction box before punching into the wall near the door and trying once more to rip loose the power cables.

Open That Door Buddy d8 (2), Cold and Calculating (8), Enhanced Strength (8), Freezing Grenade (2), Tech Master (5). Let's just take the 16 for the moment to get the door open.

• Options
    The ice weakens the wall and it's like punching paper to Mr. Freeze. He quickly gets to the power cables and rips them loose. The door, now without power or backup power, opens up, leaving Mr. Freeze and Batman a clear path to the Secure Treatment Room, the last stop for patients before leaving to the Extreme Isolation Cells.
    What's the Password? (2d6, 3d8, 1d10): 2#1d6 1 5 3#1d8 4 5 2 1#1d10 3 10 d10. Freeze seems to be the password.

• Options
    @Grunt's Ghosts: Does totally-not-Nightwing show up under my cybernetic senses (X-Ray, infrared, UV, etc.)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes...

• Options
    Nightwing

This... isn't real. It can't be. "What's going on?" I call out.
    Solo d6, Dedicated Hero d4 (+1PP), Enhanced Senses d8, Psych Expert d8

Save v. darkest memory: 2#1d8 4 3 1#1d6 6 1#1d4 4

10 w/ d8 effect to not take mental or emotional stress for blundering into Nightwing's first memory of personal failure.

• Options
    Terry

I take a look around my surrounds and start laughing; I can't really help myself.

"Very nice. Whoever you are, Joker, Riddler, Scarecrow; you need to work on your illusions or gas or whatever this is. No one walks down a hallway in a prison and into a cave that doesn't exist yet."

I whip the Batarang at the not-Nightwing. As I release it, the thought occurs to me that whatever has created this illusion may just be masking the real Nightwing with this fake. Here's hoping it's not the real one...
    Fuck You, Not-Nightwing: 1d8 7 1d8 5 1d8 8 1d8 3

15 with a d8.

Totally hitting @jdarksun, and I'm really sorry about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One of the bodies looks up. His face is smashed in from the impact with the ground, but the voice was still John Grayson's. "Still running from us, Dick?"

Mary Grayson rose next to stand beside her husband. "What's the matter, baby? Is my sweet robin upset because we died? Or because you could have saved us but didn't?"
    ***********************************************************************************************

The batarang hits Future Nightwing in the shoulder. "Woah... Oh god. Not you too. Terry, does Brainiac have control over you or your suit? If it's just the suit you can fight it. I don't want to hurt you."
    For Nightwing: Oh, but it is... (3d6, 3d8, 1d10): 3#1d6 6 6 3 3#1d8 4 2 8 1#1d10 9 17 d6 so you take d6 mental damage... unless you want to drop it down to a d4 since your effect die is bigger. I don't want you to lose your mind just yet...

For Future Batman: Dodge Terry (Solo d8, War Harden d8, Cyber Enhanced Reflexes d10, Acrobatic Master d10): 2#1d8 4 3 2#1d10 6 5 11 d6. Future Nightwing takes d8 physical damage.

• Options
    Nightwing

"I... you... you're right. I could have saved you, if I had warned you. If I had warned someone. But that's why I live this life, now. I've devoted my life to make sure nobody else winds up like me. ...even if I sometimes fail."
    Actually, you beat my roll by 5+, and you could have used one of those d8s... so I'll take a d8 of Mental Stress, and trigger Self Doubt. I'll shut down Enhanced Senses for +1PP.

• Options
    John shakes his head. "Like you failed Mr. Wayne? He gave you all you had, trained you to be who you are, and you leave him. Created the Teen Titans, then you left them. Created yourself as Nightwing because you wanted to be alone. So you couldn't fail anyone else. And then you had the audacity to not only take on the name Batman, but to make Bruce Wayne's own son your Robin. That's no son of mine. That's a boy running from himself."

• Options
    Mr. Freeze

"Ah, the isolation area. Yes..."

Fries heads for his usual containment cell. A more-excitable man would be rubbing his hands with glee.

• Options
    The path to the Secure Treatment Room is littered with bodies of guards and Blackgate prisoners, all wearing the terrified smiles. Once at the room, Batman and Mr. Freeze are greeted by a familiar smiling face standing on one of the secure moving cells.

"Oh, so you made it this far. I'm surprised to see that. I thought surely one of you would have died or stabbed each other in the back or something." Joker says. "It would seem that I need to help push your deaths along. Bats, Icecube, meet my newest recruits!"

Two of the secure moving cells open up, revealing two very big mutated prisoners. "Say hi to Dummy One and Dummy Two. I think you guys will be best friends! Hahaha!"
    I need to keep up with this better:

Doom Pool: 3d6, 3d8, 1d10

Scene Distinctions: Dark Cave, Batcomputer
    0PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    Future Nightwing [ ] d8 Physical Stress

6PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson) d6 Physical Stress, d8 Mental Stress, Enhanced Senses shutdown...

Scene Distinctions: Bodies, Secure Moving Cells
    2PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

Dummy One [ ]
    Dummy Two [ ]
    Joker [ ]

• Options
    Terry

"Nope, still not buying it. I've seen enough movies to know this isn't real, dick."

I pop the claws and lunge at him.
    Solo d8, TK d8, Strength with Claws lets me add a d6 and increase physical stress inflicted, Combat Expert

Attack Nightwing: 1d8 3 1d8 1 1d8 4 1d6 6 1d6 1

Yeesh. 10 with a d10 of physical stress coming at him

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mr. Freeze

Clearly still feeling the effects of the Joker's gas, Freeze chuckles slightly, grimaces, and decides to get it out of his system.

"You should really cool down."

Freeze hurls another of his ice bombs towards the opening cells, hoping to catch the Joker in the blast as well.

Ice To See You: Buddy d8 (4), Vengeful d8 (5), Freezing Grenades d8 (7) + 2d6 Area Attack SFX (2,5) + Combat Expert d8 (5) + 1 PP = 17, d10s on Thugs, d8 on the Joker due to Afflict SFX stepping them up to inflict a Frozen complication on all 3.

Pass to Batman @Matev

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Nightwing

"Bruce is fine. He doesn't need me as his ward anymore; what we do is bigger than just him. The Teen Titans were a success. And that's the whole point - Batman trains us to be great at what we do, then we go out and train others. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to stop people like the Joker. To stop people like Tony Zucco.

"And my real father would know that."

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Nightwing saw Batman's attack coming and quickly dodged his claw and countered with his Escrima sticks. "We were both taught by Bruce. You think I didn't see that coming? Now stop this, I'm not your enemy. Why don't you believe me?"
    The ice bomb explodes, freezing everything solid. The creatures try to charge but their steps are stopped cold by the grenade. Joker presses a button to move his cell as the ice begins to freeze it. "That's quite a cold shoulder you are giving me, Freeze. I'm going to have to warm you up after I tinker with my boys some more. I'll see you later. Heehee." And with that, the Maximum Security Doors close, locking Batman and Mr. Freeze from Extreme Isolation Cells.

"Batman, Freeze, it's Oracle. I've lost contact with Nightwing and the Other Batman. Something happen in the Security Room. Also, it seems that Joker is planning on letting the worst of the Asylum out of Extreme Isolation. Oh, and Dr. Fries. Something is happening at one of your safehouses. The Meat Factory on 5th and Banks. Joker's gangsters are raiding it right now. I think they are looking for Nora. I've got some friends who are heading there right now to stop them."

John looks at Dick with what might be a sadden look. "Is Bruce fine? How many Robins has he gone through, trying to replace the hole you left?"
    Future Batman vs. Future Nightwing: I'm not your enemy (Solo d8, War Harden d8, Enchanced Cyber Reflexes d10, Escrima Sticks d6, Combat Master d10): 1#1d6 1 2#1d8 2 8 2#1d10 10 5 18 d8 and I'll spend one d8 from the Doom Pool to cause a counter attack on Future Batman. d8 Physical Stress.

Dummy One: Buddy d6, Titan-Induced Rage d8, Superhuman Stamina d10, Combat Expert d8): 1#1d6 1 2#1d8 1 8 1#1d10 1 Fuck that's a lot of ones. 8 d4. FROZEN SOLID.

Dummy Two: Buddy d6, Titan-Induced Rage d8, Superhuman Stamina d10, Combat Expert d8: 1#1d6 1 2#1d8 4 1 1#1d10 4 Jesus, these guys are terrible 4 d8. FROZEN SOLID

Spending 2d8 for JOKER PLOT DEVICE!!!!

I'm going to buy two of your 1s @dresdenphile.

Doom Pool: 3d6, 1d8, 1d10

2PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d8 Physical Stress

6PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson) d6 Physical Stress, d8 Mental Stress, Enhanced Senses shutdown...

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

Edit: Got my Batmans mixed up. PP is right now.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Razzum Scraggin Joker Luck....

Freeze's methods were extreme, but useful in this case. We just barely caught Joker, but before we could take him down, he unleashed a pair of monsters on us. They look almost like men. I wonder what grotesques the Joker had tried create as I step closer, cautiously
    Guess we get to see if curiosity kills the Bat....

Duo (d8), World's Greatest Detective (d4), Enhanced Senses (d8), Science Expert (d8)

1d4=4, 3d6=17

Hell of a Savage Worlds roll, but still ok here. 12 with a d8 "Analysis" effect

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Terry

"I don't believe you, whoever you are, because I walked out of a room in Arkham Asylum after a Nightwing dressed normally, and into a freaking cave with some sort of armored, patronizing Nightwing."

I swing at him again, but I'm getting too angry. I gotta keep calm, but this guy is pissing me off.

"There's no time for this. I've got to help save the civilians. Take me back. Now!"
    Solo d8, TK d8, (Enhanced Strength d8, Combat Expert d8; combining these into a d10 via my Focus SFX), Future Nightwing's Stress (which I totally forgot the last time) d8

Attack Nightwing (Again): 1d8 4 1d8 4 1d10 9 1d8 1

Looks like I'm back to terrible rolls. 13 with a d8 physical stress.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nightwing

I frowned. "Four? Why does that matter? It's Bruce. Nothing touches him."

• Options
    Did I just hardcore wreck that fight by freezing everything? If so, are we in a transition scene?

• Options
    Batman looks over the massive monsters but can't find anything tell him what Joker has done to them.

Future Batman barely misses as Future Nightwing dodges yet another one of Terry's attacks. "Screw this. Sorry Terry, but you keep forcing my hand. I got only a few minutes before Brainiac's patrols come through here. Suddenly Nightwing's left hand opens to reveal that it's fake and hides an Ion Cannon, much like Cyborg's. Nightwing fires one powerful blast at Terry...

Mary Grayson strokes her son's hair. "Four? And you think that doesn't matter? He misses you. The lovable boy I raised. You leaving him hurt him."

Suddenly, another light shines onto another ring and Nightwing knows this part all too well. That Fight. Where Robin and Batman split. Where Robin became Nightwing.

"Why must everything I do be because you wish it?" Dick yells. "We always listen to you. What about my plans? What if I don't to be playing second fiddle to you all the time?"
    Bruce keeps his calm demeanor on. "You aren't ready to be a solo act. This fight against Chemo proved that. We almost died and killed half of Gotham because you couldn't remember that Chemo grows stronger with each chemical thrown at him, and trying to freeze him with Nitrogen would only give him freezing abilities."
    "But it did slow him down long enough to put him back into his tank. And we didn't die and Gotham didn't get frozen. What was your way because I didn't see you doing anything in there but dodging and hiding."
    "If you are unhappy here, working with me..."
    "FOR YOU! We having been working together since I was a kid."
    Bruce pinches the bridge of his nose "...with me. Then you are free to leave. You are 19 now and no longer my ward."
    Dick looks shocked at first. "Fine." He finally says before leaving.

The scene doesn't end. Bruce takes a set at his desk. "Every bird has to fly from the nest one day, Master Wayne." Alfred says, bring Bruce his favorite tea. "And Master Dick has been ready to leave for a long time."
    "Is he ready?" Bruce asks. "Have I taught him all I know?"
    "No. You haven't. And you shouldn't." Alfred says. "Those are the things him must learn on his own."
    "Then he is a failure." Bruce closes his eyes.
    "No... But only through failure do we find the answer we truly seek."
    "Another Robin?"
    "Robin? Or another bird of another name. It would be the same, Master Wayne. But not."
    "Yeah. The new Robin will be trained better. I won't have another failure in my hands."
    "I don't believe that's what I've been saying, sir."
    "I know what you are saying, Alfred." Bruce looks up. "Besides, like Batman, Robin is only a symbol. Who wears the outfit isn't as important as how trained is the man inside it."

Alfred grabs the tea tray and turns. "Now isn't the time, Master Wayne. Let time heal you before you make your next move."

The light turns off the other ring.

"Something did touch him." John says. "You hurt him. Failed him in his eyes. He's been trying to replace you since. Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown... Jason Todd. That's your legacy there, son. The Robins after Robin."
    Oh hell!, Old buttons are back!

Deadpool: "Old buttons! The forums are saved!"
    Yellow Box: "Hey, something feels off..."
    White Box: "Yeah, we are in the wrong universe."
    Ambush Bug: "And you are stealing my fucking gag!"
    *BAM BAM BAM*
    Deadpool: "TALKING COCKROACH!!!!"

Batman: R&D Department (3d6, 1d8, 1d10): 3#1d6 2 5 2 1#1d8 6 1#1d10 10 16 d6 so you learn nothing.

Deadpool: "Is that the real Batman? Does he talk like this?"
    White Box: "Your voice is typed out. No one can hear how you sound. And no. That isn't raw throaty enough."

Future Wars: Blast from the Past (Solo d8, War Harden d8, Enchanced Cyber Reflexes d10, Acrobatic Master d10): 2#1d8 8 4 2#1d10 6 4 14 d8. Future Batman misses Future Nightwing.

NightCyborg: Ending this (Solo d8, No More Niceguy d8, Advance Tracking System d8, Ion Cannon d10, Combat Master d10): 3#1d8 8 8 8 2#1d10 1 6 16 d10 @dresdenphile for reaction

Deadpool: "Numbers? What the fuck is all that? Why can't they just say they fucking kill each other?"
    Yellow Box: "Man... that's confusing. I don't like this game."
    White Box: "We should try to return home. There could be something terrible that comes from us mixing worlds. Like Lawsuits. Cross-comic promotions. Deadstroke!"
    Deadpool: "Deadstroke? Screw you guys, I'm going home."
    Yellow Box: "Wait! They are having an argument. Let's stay just a little longer! I want popcorn!"

Ok... Buying that one @dresdenphile

Doom Pool: 2d6, 2d8, 1d10

3PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis) d8 Physical Stress

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Did I just hardcore wreck that fight by freezing everything? If so, are we in a transition scene?
    In the beginning that aren't strong as they are just starting the experiments. As the game goes on... And yeah, you and Batman are in a transition scene.

• Options
    Joker's done something here, but what, I can't tell. They'll need to be analyzed further, but there's no time, not with Joker on the loose still.

"No word from Nightwing or the other Batman, we'll have to assume they're compromised and that we're on our own." I indicate to Freeze. No doubt he's already made the same analysis, but the interaction will give me another mind to bounce things off of.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Mr. Freeze

Victor approaches a frozen henchman.

"If we are able to access the infirmary I should be quite capable of analyzing these men with the resources available there, though it will consume valuable time. I should first adapt whatever is left of my primary cell to prolong my suit's life or access the building's climate-control."

He leans in and regards the mutated mook with a frown, almost nose-to-nose with it.

"... at first glance, they somewhat resemble the product of Bane's serum. The effect may be more-similar to other mutagenic processes, however.

As to your underlings, it is reasonably likely they can save themselves. If the other inmates of similar to myself or the Joker escape, this will escalate into the chaos on which he thrives. I will assist if required but it seems likely that your signature terror tactics would be more-effective alone. The ordinary thugs should be susceptible to fear."

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Terry

Reaction:
    Solo d8, TK d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Acrobatics Master d10, FN Stress d8

React to Future Nightwing: 1d8 8 1d8 7 1d8 1 1d10 1 1d8 3

Spending a PP to make that 18 with a d4.

Whoa! I was not expecting that! I dodge out of the way at the last possible second. I smell the ozone when the laser heats the air where I was just a moment ago.

"The fake cannon arm really does wonders for your Nightwing story, dreg."

I lunge at him, but I'm still a little caught off-guard by that laser beam.
    Solo d8, TK d8, (Enhanced Strength d8, Combat Expert d8; combining these into a d10 via my Focus SFX. I'll then back that down to a d8 and add a d6 for claws), Future Nightwing's Stress d8

Attack Future Nightwing: 1d8 1 1d8 1 1d8 8 1d6 1 1d8 5

Sweet baby Jebus. 13 with a whopping d6 physical stress.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png