Options

[TF2] Map Fortress 2: Pound Nails Into Your Dicks With Hammer!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    remind me
    have they made a hitscan fire shotgun yet

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    They've been holding off on new weapons, but there seems to be a patch for each class in the works.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'm okay with fire being stronger only if afterburn can't be inflicted by a single particle of fire. Toast guys for a little bit before they ignite. Or with a fire shotgun a minimum pellet count. Nicking somebody with a single pellet/particle doesn't mesh with afterburn being more serious.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't get degreaser/flare gun/axtinguisher set at all. You already have a fire-based puff'n'sting that'll kill pretty much everything (heavies generally can't turn quick enough to avoid the second hit) that isn't immune to fire; what utility is the flare gun providing? Mid-range options? With how prevalent targe demos and other pyros are, the utility of the shotgun/reserve shooter (I tend towards the latter to dispatch targe demos quicker) is far, far more useful than a strong mid-range option (and the shotgun can still be used to chip at a distance).

If you're using the powerjack, then I'd understand using the flare gun. But the flare gun and the axtinguisher? That's just redundant.

(also we already have a lightning gun you guys literally did two videos on it)

there are lots of situations where you can ignite someone but can't airblast them into a wall or whatever, so you can't use the axtinguisher as effectively

so the flaregun is for that, mostly, but also for irritating snipers

I hate you.

I will not lie, probably the thing I like most about the crossbow is the fact that I can kill snipers really easily with it

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Once folks know you have the axtinguisher, they're usually trying to get the fuck away from you on the most direct line possible. So the whole set becomes complimentary - run away and get flared, or stay up close and get axed.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    They've been holding off on new weapons, but there seems to be a patch for each class in the works.

source?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If I'm using the axtinguisher I run a shotgun. If I'm using a different melee, and I usually am now a days, I run a flare gun of some type.

On the one hand, I want to encourage more people to try the third degree. On the other hand, if more people used it, it wouldn't be nearly as funny when I blindside a medic with it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Flare gun is super useful because it's the pyro's best long range option. It does make pyro vs pyro fights pretty lame but I just run away from those and let my teammates deal with it.

Though degreaser/reserve/powerjack can be fun on maps with lots of back roads.

Or backburner/manmelter/rake for something completely off the wall.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Or just Rake in general for reminding people melee is a thing

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    The flare gun is effective well beyond mid range. It is an amazing engi harrassment tool. Poke his sentry, pop him once, dare him to come out to repair it again. Plus, if I don't want to get too close to an enemy (melee demoman cause of dat range) then the flare gun is great for keeping a safe distance while also dealing plenty of damage. Also it is an amazing bad heavy executioner. You can land multiple in a row from around a corner on a heavy that is at pretty much any range but right on top of you. Also the satisfaction of landing a huge flare at long range threaded through a window as a scout runs for health is unparalleled.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    This video makes me want to make our next group video as all brass beast always spun up heavies on a payload map.

Or maybe even CTF.

edit: I should actually post the video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mS5p_BcvP4

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    I do that every Friday against Crash.

No other PAer is better at walking into my arrows than him. I am a shit sniper in every other situation, but if you ever need a Weak Crash dead I'm your guy.

I am super excited that "Weak Crash" is catching on.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    This video makes me want to make our next group video as all brass beast always spun up heavies on a payload map.

yesss

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    source?

The bulletin board speculation mostly, why it "seems" like it. But I'unno. Might just be one big TF2 update building upon all the updates on the board? Most of the pictures are past class updates so who knows.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

No other PAer is better at walking into my arrows than him. I am a shit sniper in every other situation, but if you ever need a Weak Crash dead I'm your guy.

What is a "weak Crash"? Flippy's left foot with a rifle/huntsman?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

How else would you pronounce UEAKCrash?

• Options

How else would you pronounce UEAKCrash?

"That guy who nails me to the wall before I can scope him"?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    source?

The bulletin board speculation mostly, why it "seems" like it. But I'unno. Might just be one big TF2 update building upon all the updates on the board? Most of the pictures are past class updates so who knows.

hm

I'd be surprised, to be honest

it really seems like the TF2 team is just down to a skeleton crew

I bet the most of the original team is working on half-life 3 or left 4 dead 3

• Options
    source?

hm

I'd be surprised, to be honest

it really seems like the TF2 team is just down to a skeleton crew

I bet the most of the original team is working on half-life 3 or left 4 dead 3

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHhahah

hahahah...

ha...

sad-drunk.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    we know they're making it

it got leaked

• Options
    Bad news: people are abbreviating Titanfall to "TF."

Going to be big issues when the inevitable sequel comes out next year.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Obviously the next major update will take place post-Robot Wars, where RED and BLU look at all the robot tech that's left over and decides to re-purpose it for their own fights. New game mode that involves RED and BLU-teamed AI robots fighting along side you, and pilotable giant class suits you can call in from orbital grocket drops.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Oh wait no I can psychically feel the server sobbing trying to keep up with all that.

EDIT: Maybe if you lowered the player count down so there's more slots the bots can use. Maybe 6v6? Nah, too small.. Highlander 9v9, maybe?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I don't even airblast when I axtinguish someone. With both the degreaser and the reserve shooter, it's a waste of time--I'll have it out and through their skull before they realize they're on fire.

I'm not too obsessed with getting kills as a pyro. If the scout I light on fire runs away, whatever. That's ten more seconds of him frantically looking for a health pack and not shooting my teammates. Plus, the reserve shooter's airborne minicrits help against jump-happy scoots, so it's hardly that big a problem--I'll usually get the 8 damage shot from halfway across the map with a shotty shot that's needed to kill the scout.

So, yeah... I can see how the flare gun is fun, but I usually find that things that the flare gun doesn't kill killing me ruins my fun more often than not. (also lol person who said implied flare gun is better than shotty at killing melee demos)

Speaking of STAR's tomfoolery, I was thinking more a team of nothing but backburner pyros, more in line with what his team did in their first match against the Yogscast team in the Charity Mixup.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I will admit to occasionally airblasting a bit to often at times, but it can be REALLY useful for stopping someone in their tracks as they try to run away by catching them on a prop or some geometry (doorways are always good for this). It's how I catch up to classes that are faster than me. This lets me kill them more often when they see me coming.

And if they do get out of question axing distance, flargun.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I stopped using the axtinguisher because it just led to me screaming about bad hit detection

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    also we should honc when I get home in an hour

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »
    remind me
    have they made a hitscan fire shotgun yet

you know, I like this idea

but I also think it's not really fair to be able to set people on fire from across the map without having to factor in projectile velocity and whatnot

maybe if it only ignited within a medium range

e: oh, or how about if it only ignited if two or three pellets hit? I like that idea

Shorty on
  • Options
    Fun games tonight, till I got stuck on team get pub stomped their at the end.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    So, looking at Sock Puppet's latest video

did he go off the deep end or was he always nuts?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    So, looking at Sock Puppet's latest video

did he go off the deep end or was he always nuts?

always nuts

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Fun games tonight, till I got stuck on team get pub stomped their at the end.

That was my entire brief experience of Honking tonight.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I have also apparently swung back to being good at Huntsman and shit at rifles.

In a few weeks it will be the other way again. It's like clockwork really.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So I finally got around to scanning some of my notes from the last 72hr contest. Here's the top down view I sketched for pl_crash:

plcrashtopdown.jpg
    If you can decipher my scratches, you'll notice it deviated from my original plan pretty quickly. Not much past the first capture point stayed the same (and even a lot before that changed) other than the layout of Red's spawn rooms, the forward spawns for Blu, the health/ ammo pack over the death pit, and the general choke point just before turning the corner into final. But this is all I had when I started the contest, which was why it took me a lot longer to do the layout than previous contests.

Bonus doodles of some of the dynamic events from the map and my terrible handwriting:
    plcrashdynamicevents.jpg

I did all of these sketches on the clock at work and used their note paper taped together for the top down view.

edit: dem jpg artifacts.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Aww, you ended the commentary the exact moment I joined that server :P (I was afk most of the match anyway but whatevs)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Good news, I recorded another game immediately after that on that server for the next video!

I did notice that you joined while editing though. I always end up realizing so much more about my time playing after rewatching it.

I also recorded my first mapping tutorial video on... drumroll... clipping! Just gotta edit it and see if it even makes sense first, though.

• Options
    The worst part about replays is when you spot a spy that you never noticed while playing live.

• Options
    Wooh! That means I'll have been in both a VEK video and a Crash video! Now I just gotta find where Jerma and Star play to round off my youtube scavenger hunt.

(Looking back at older videos, I realized I was the guy who stole Zen's taunt kill at the end of this one... whoops.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.