Options

[TF2] Map Fortress 2: Pound Nails Into Your Dicks With Hammer!

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »
    that presumes a loadout with airblast and the axtinguisher
    Less the demoknight, more the targe fire resistance. If you can puff and sting a targe demo, I'd be pretty dang impressed.

I personally don't use the axtinguisher. My pyro loadout varies, but I find the fire resistance doesn't help them that much if you can keep them in the air. Backburner can still do airblast, and when a demoknight is bearing down on you, that's the sort of emergency where its extra cost is worth it. Plus, if you get him up in the air, he may land with his back to you. Otherwise I use the degreaser or default flamethrower, and with those you can generally still burn him down at close range. The trick is keeping him disoriented and just barely out of melee range.

Once you've stopped his charge he's a lot easier to deal with.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with melee demos is the absurd range they get. If they're close enough to burn they're close enough to decapitate you.

Stupid Valve for trying to make melee a viable option in a shooter game.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    and they can disengage at will with no lasting consequences

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    give pyro a lightning gun

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    that presumes a loadout with airblast and the axtinguisher
    Less the demoknight, more the targe fire resistance. If you can puff and sting a targe demo, I'd be pretty dang impressed.

I personally don't use the axtinguisher. My pyro loadout varies, but I find the fire resistance doesn't help them that much if you can keep them in the air. Backburner can still do airblast, and when a demoknight is bearing down on you, that's the sort of emergency where its extra cost is worth it. Plus, if you get him up in the air, he may land with his back to you. Otherwise I use the degreaser or default flamethrower, and with those you can generally still burn him down at close range. The trick is keeping him disoriented and just barely out of melee range.

Once you've stopped his charge he's a lot easier to deal with.

unless you're caught in an area without backpedal room

I find it's way less trouble to airblast them and run away

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Ooh and it could make a thunder noise when you airblast!
    Alright, huntsman sniper against Crash, demoknight against Ebo, Heavy against Turtleant, and Mini-sentries against anyone else... Are there any other secret weaknesses you guys have? I'm making a list.

Wait, why do you think I hate heavies?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Scouts and Spies I'm getting better at dealing with. Phlog Pyro is always my hard counter regardless of class except when I'm sniping far away.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I've had decent luck dealing with targe wielding demoknights by using a degreaser/shotgun/axtinguisher loadout. Airblast to keep them away and shotgun so you don't have to get close enough to use your flamethrower.

In fact the shotgun helps a lot against any fire-resistant opponents. I used to run with the flare gun because I liked the mid range attack option, but I switched to the shotgun shortly after the targe buff and have found it to be much more beneficial to my play style.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I combo my phlog with the scorch shot

because it's a delightful way to generate mmmph

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    lightning gun without airblast, i will die on this hill

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I've never really given the phlog a fair shake, pyro weapons without airblast just ain't natural.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

It's cool on paper, but it always takes far too long to build up

just burn them with the mmmph thrower

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I can't follow you down this path. I got to be able to put out my teammates.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    in the times we live in who actually needs help with fire, every class and some maps have something to deal with it

• Options

yes you will, to every soldier and demoman in the world

• Options
    buff fire, give pyro a lightning gun, remove airblast and add health to the backburner

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Personally, I want a lightning gun for the Engie or Medic. More alternatives to shotgun and syringe gun!

• Options
    lightning is a plasma, give it to pyro

i'm still cross that soldier and heavy can set people on fire now too

• Options
    airblast is not needed to pyro effectively

learning when to run the hell away, and knowing the map is way more vital

and that can be accomplished with any weapon combo
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

It's cool on paper, but it always takes far too long to build up

just burn them with the mmmph thrower

I disagree

especially since the scorch shot is surprisingly effective if you're landing multiple shots

which is what the damn thing is for

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I will never give up my ability to ruin ubers, move sticky traps, or push people off cliffs

pyro without airblast is just too one-note

• Options
    it's a damn good note

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I will never give up my ability to ruin ubers, move sticky traps, or push people off cliffs

pyro without airblast is just too one-note

only if you lack panache

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular

I actually tried to make one once upon a time!

b1.jpg

Never finished it though. Pretty sure that render is all I have left of it as it was like two computers ago. It was going to be a squirrel cage fan that blew metal filings in a stream and used capacitors to create an arc through the dust.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Running away is the operative. Pyro needs more mobility or survivability. Fire is in a good place now when you are in the right position.

Again this depends on maps with lots of opportunities to flank and avoid the meat grinder.

Scorch Shot is effective, but not fast. This is less a criticism of the weapon and more commentary on my impatience.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    idea for lightning gun
    watercooler in place of gas tank, fire hose, electric jolt in place of the flame

• Options
    I would like to see a crank on the lightning gun

limited max ammo

but you can recharge it by tapping the reload button quickly

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    sisters, do not despise my love of air, for without air there can be no fire

• Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    Alternatively, poisonous gas, acid, lava, or poisonous acidic lava would all work as replacements for fire.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Alternatively, poisonous gas, acid, lava, or poisonous acidic lava would all work as replacements for fire.
    Make it like a vaccinator and switch between them, each with an upside and a downside.

Endaro on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Trainsawlaser gun.

Shoots trains, saws and... uh... lasers.

It'll be neat?
    tumblr_n2a6vox5C81r8lde5o1_500.gif

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    I've had decent luck dealing with targe wielding demoknights by using a degreaser/shotgun/axtinguisher loadout. Airblast to keep them away and shotgun so you don't have to get close enough to use your flamethrower.

In fact the shotgun helps a lot against any fire-resistant opponents. I used to run with the flare gun because I liked the mid range attack option, but I switched to the shotgun shortly after the targe buff and have found it to be much more beneficial to my play style.

But then I'd have to not use Rick Flare Gun.

• Options
    Pump action oil spray

Makes opponents more vulnerable to fire damage, and allows afterburn to trigger from any ignition sourrce

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Whatever the lightning gun does, it needs to retain the classic "discharge" mechanic from Q1.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I don't get degreaser/flare gun/axtinguisher set at all. You already have a fire-based puff'n'sting that'll kill pretty much everything (heavies generally can't turn quick enough to avoid the second hit) that isn't immune to fire; what utility is the flare gun providing? Mid-range options? With how prevalent targe demos and other pyros are, the utility of the shotgun/reserve shooter (I tend towards the latter to dispatch targe demos quicker) is far, far more useful than a strong mid-range option (and the shotgun can still be used to chip at a distance).

If you're using the powerjack, then I'd understand using the flare gun. But the flare gun and the axtinguisher? That's just redundant.

(also we already have a lightning gun you guys literally did two videos on it)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't get degreaser/flare gun/axtinguisher set at all. You already have a fire-based puff'n'sting that'll kill pretty much everything (heavies generally can't turn quick enough to avoid the second hit) that isn't immune to fire; what utility is the flare gun providing? Mid-range options? With how prevalent targe demos and other pyros are, the utility of the shotgun/reserve shooter (I tend towards the latter to dispatch targe demos quicker) is far, far more useful than a strong mid-range option (and the shotgun can still be used to chip at a distance).

If you're using the powerjack, then I'd understand using the flare gun. But the flare gun and the axtinguisher? That's just redundant.

there are lots of situations where you can ignite someone but can't airblast them into a wall or whatever, so you can't use the axtinguisher as effectively

so the flaregun is for that, mostly, but also for irritating snipers

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest, I barely ever get any practical use or kills out of flareguns, but the entertainment value of lighting someone on fire at range means I will never go without having one equipped.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

there are lots of situations where you can ignite someone but can't airblast them into a wall or whatever, so you can't use the axtinguisher as effectively

so the flaregun is for that, mostly, but also for irritating snipers

I hate you.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular

killing scouts who try to run away.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I think I get more flare kills than axetinguisher kills now. Air blast away and send them in a predictable arc to flare them. If they hit geometry and stop, Axe them questions.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Both the flare gun and the flare gun are equally useful with axtinguishers, although I will usually prefer the shotgun for its versatility.

This discussion has been closed.