Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    His tweet from an hour ago says its only a temporary break

Fingers crossed he changes his mind about it being perminent

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Another video games thing I was thinking about

I'm enormously excited for GTAV, so I've been watching all the trailers for it over and over and with an occasional lapse in judgment will find myself looking at the comments

I cannot even begin to understand the people that think the existence of Saints Row 4 cancels out GTAV or vice versa, like one completely invalidates the other

They can hardly even be classified in the same genre anymore

Some people (children, teenagers, gamers, commenters, internet people) feel the need to "win" and they "win" by liking something that is "better". And the only way they can "win" is if there's a loser.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Can't be that soon if they haven't even confirmed the game is being developed yet.

e: re prey 2

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think I'd enjoy Diablo 3 more on PS3

but i already own it on PC and I will be damned if I buy it twice

i feel ripped off as it is

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    HEY SO RAYMAN LEGENDS IS OUT TODAY AND IT'S DELIGHTFUL AND YOU SHOULD GET IT ON WII U ALSO BROTHERS IS OUT ON PSN AND STEAM TODAY

VIDEO GAMES

I'm generally not a big fan of platformers and am not particularly good at them, but everything I've seen of Rayman looks delightful. How difficult would you way the game is?

Rayman Origins wasn't particularly difficult, but Legends is supposed to get kinda nasty by the end

I forgot about Origins. Maybe I should get that first.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Think I'll buy Diablo 3 when I get my PS4. Haven't played a isometric hack and slash in forever.

Also, Kickbeat is out today. Since Runner 2 has given me the rhythm game itch can anyone tell me if it's worth my time?

Maximum on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Can't be that soon if they haven't even confirmed the game is being developed yet.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Bro, bro.

Me, too.

But it's too soon. Far, far, far too soon. Bottle that belief and release when the time is right.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mse755ZOOH1r0j7pmo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mse755ZOOH1r0j7pmo3_500.jpg

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    that's a remarkably tasteful level of sonic fan-wankery

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    you're just lucky the picture isn't from an angle where you can see the seat covers

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Blue sonic lt with matching license plate and bobble head

Pretty great

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Didn't even notice the name of the car at first, that's even better!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I got curious and looked up how fast that car can go

It can go from 0 to 60 in 8 seconds and its top speed is 108 MPH

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »

Pretty great

now debuting our new feature, langly describes a picture then rates it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    that's a remarkably tasteful level of sonic fan-wankery

don't open the trunk

• Options
    Public Service Announcement:

Rayman Legends and Diablo 3 are available in Redboxes for 360

Grand Theft Auto V will be in Redboxes for PS3 when it's released in two weeks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Pretty great

now debuting our new feature, langly describes a picture then rates it

icyliquid will soon have it inlining with every .jpeg or .png file

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Guys I already miss @T4CT

any word and when the GB PAX panel is going up?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    A really creepy thing that happened at PAX

I watched a demonstration of Watch Dogs. It focused on the interaction between mobile players and console players, and sought to highlight the richness of the experience for all parties. Pretty standard press demo shit.

The host of the event introduced herself, and said she'd be controlling the tablet game. There was applause. She introduced the console player, and said that, with audiences who "cheered him on," he'd "cut loose" and "really go on a rampage."

The audience cheered, loudly. Which instantly skeeved me the fuck out.

"Oh, you want to see him take out some civilians?" she asked, grinning widely.

The audience hooted and hollered even more. I did my level best to shrink down to inscrutable size, but nothin' doin'.

The demo begins with a demonstration of how fluidly the two games interact. She presses a button on the tablet, and a helicopter pops on the television. A little easier when the tablet and the console are two feet apart than when the players have an ocean between them, but that's neither here nor there. This portion of the presentation is dry, and almost informative. Then, the chase starts.

Immediately, Aiden Pierce's car veers onto the sidewalk. He hasn't hit anybody, yet. The event host asks, "Should he run somebody over? What do you say?" There is a raucous uproar, and a digital elderly woman goes flying into the air.

Look. I'm not the sort to decry video game violence, all on its own. I've giggled with glee at that move in Saint's Row 4 where you slide between somebody's legs, grab 'em by the dick, and throw 'em into the air. But it's one thing to get a guilty kick out of something in the privacy of my home and another thing entirely to hear bloodlust in a darkened theater. Things felt Roman colliseum-y in a HURRY.

I mean, they were cheering before they even knew what it would look like, what it feel like. They had no context, no information, and cheered at the very thought of seeing violence. That's fucking CREEPY.

I love video games, but man, gaming culture is goddamn unsettling sometimes.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    t4ct sent me messages clarifying his position

he likes the game in spite of certain cards and wanted to be able to throw that out there

he's done here but you know where to find him

There is another tendency of people to declare a work or thing wholly evil if it has some objectionable material

That's fine

But some people don't feel that way, and man do those two views clash

Okay I've really tried to step back from this whole thing because I've been worried I won't keep my composure and may jump down some people's throats. But this right here is I think one of the biggest issues with this thread and its general attitude that leads to a lot of regulars who are part of minorities feeling marginalised.

The things a good few of us find objectionable, we do because we are confronted with that bullshit every day in some shape or form, be it aggressively thrown back in our face physically or verbally or through more passive trends in media. And when that opinion is made heard, that something that is incredibly popular is propagating a stereotype or deriding a cause, it is exhausting to have the majority tell us how it's okay and how we have to understand their point of view. Ignorance should always be tackled with education, but when the ignorant try to defend or simply shrug off things that can be seen as bigoted, I cannot blame anyone if their first reaction is to be angry and pissed by that.

Speaking from experience, too often this thread has a dismissive air regarding certain issues. We like to think we're open-minded and accepting, and to a certain extent we are, but constantly and consistently have their been some really choice opinions from those who champion how much these forums or threads have progressed.

The whole thing that triggered this most recent shitstorm is that offended members of a minority were angry they were effectively being talked down to about understanding "context and intent" of a very offensive joke. If you're coming from the position of a disenfranchised person in society and someone who is effectively in the majority (whose rights have never been in jepoardy to the same extent, who hasn't lived a good portion of their life so far in fear because of who they are) tells you that the joke is acceptable because of x-and-y

Then that is a really shitty feeling

I cannot at all speak for any trans forumers but I can fucking sympathise. Personally my issues here have been with the way we've had a murky relationship with racial issues in games. We were all offended by the Whore of the Orient title but not that long ago a vast majority of people here did not know of that term being a racial slur or why. Which honestly was not a problem, but in true fashion instead of ignorance being fixed it had to be explained and defended. When brought up how shitty it is and why it shouldn't be used, in ironic joking or not, that entire discussion was drowned out in more talk of context and intent and etymological trivia that sidestepped the entire thing.

Frankly there is a really disheartening attitude here in this thread of people being sick of being told that what they said was offensive or wrong or insulting. People are scared that they aren't as well-rounded in their worldview as they thought they were, and it leads to everyone patting each other on the back while a fair portion of us are left wondering what was even achieved, especially when we see people happy that they've changed for the better but casually forget of the ignorant things they still sometimes say in day-to-day conversation on the forums.

And it's getting extremely tiring to ask for at the very least the same level of self awareness good people like the GB crew have, who readily admit to being a bunch of straight white dudes with no real perspective on these topics and are in no way offended when called out on that.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Honestly feel like Watch Dogs should've included the Driver San Francisco "everyone jumps out of the way of your car in time" thing

It seems kinda at odds with the rest of the game

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I don't know, a crowd cheering on a digital old lady being shot into the atmosphere is pretty funny to me.

• Options
    like, killing the hordes of paper doll people in open world games is half the fun of open world games. it's not guilty because there's no guilt.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    For example in Sleeping Dogs my general MO is to steal a car, the guy yells at me, I turn around and run them over with their car and then continue to my detective work.

Langly on
  • Options
    Press B to stab the elephant man in the brain.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    But what happens when new technologies allow for AI routines that lets those civilians have hopes and dreams?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    For example in Sleeping Dogs my general MO is to steal a car, the guy yells at me, I turn around and run them over with their car and then continue to my detective work.

Yeah but Sleeping Dogs is kind of a pulpy undercover cop story, there's room for that kind of silliness

Everything that's been shown of Watch Dogs (geez what's with the dog-themed open-world games) portrays it as a deathly serious game about a vigilante going after an oppressive government

Not much space for hijinks from what I've seen

Remember that Aisha Tyler trailer that was basically the weirdest thing ever?

That kind of thing is exactly what Watch Dogs isn't cut out for

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    i hope they dream about being run over by a Toyota Corolla

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    This is a great community. Really, this is. It's very easy to make friends here.

I think it's dumb that t4ct is taking even a break, because I don't think he did anything wrong. He didn't know what he was doing was wrong, and everybody could use a little educating on stuff they don't know. It happens, and I don't hold a grudge or any ill feelings towards him or anyone else for a mistake. But there were people in that last thread (not naming names) who acted abhorrently and absolutely did wrong, and don't care for being told that yes you did do wrong and we're trying to help you.

If you have an opinion on something, and you believe this opinion would affect even one of those friendships, there's a Preview button right there. Think before you post. If you can't think of any way to edit that post in a way that it doesn't offend people you care about, maybe it's better if it's not posted at all.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    t4ct sent me messages clarifying his position

he likes the game in spite of certain cards and wanted to be able to throw that out there

he's done here but you know where to find him

There is another tendency of people to declare a work or thing wholly evil if it has some objectionable material

That's fine

But some people don't feel that way, and man do those two views clash

Okay I've really tried to step back from this whole thing because I've been worried I won't keep my composure and may jump down some people's throats. But this right here is I think one of the biggest issues with this thread and its general attitude that leads to a lot of regulars who are part of minorities feeling marginalised.

The things a good few of us find objectionable, we do because we are confronted with that bullshit every day in some shape or form, be it aggressively thrown back in our face physically or verbally or through more passive trends in media. And when that opinion is made heard, that something that is incredibly popular is propagating a stereotype or deriding a cause, it is exhausting to have the majority tell us how it's okay and how we have to understand their point of view. Ignorance should always be tackled with education, but when the ignorant try to defend or simply shrug off things that can be seen as bigoted, I cannot blame anyone if their first reaction is to be angry and pissed by that.

Speaking from experience, too often this thread has a dismissive air regarding certain issues. We like to think we're open-minded and accepting, and to a certain extent we are, but constantly and consistently have their been some really choice opinions from those who champion how much these forums or threads have progressed.

The whole thing that triggered this most recent shitstorm is that offended members of a minority were angry they were effectively being talked down to about understanding "context and intent" of a very offensive joke. If you're coming from the position of a disenfranchised person in society and someone who is effectively in the majority (whose rights have never been in jepoardy to the same extent, who hasn't lived a good portion of their life so far in fear because of who they are) tells you that the joke is acceptable because of x-and-y

Then that is a really shitty feeling

I cannot at all speak for any trans forumers but I can fucking sympathise. Personally my issues here have been with the way we've had a murky relationship with racial issues in games. We were all offended by the Whore of the Orient title but not that long ago a vast majority of people here did not know of that term being a racial slur or why. Which honestly was not a problem, but in true fashion instead of ignorance being fixed it had to be explained and defended. When brought up how shitty it is and why it shouldn't be used, in ironic joking or not, that entire discussion was drowned out in more talk of context and intent and etymological trivia that sidestepped the entire thing.

Frankly there is a really disheartening attitude here in this thread of people being sick of being told that what they said was offensive or wrong or insulting. People are scared that they aren't as well-rounded in their worldview as they thought they were, and it leads to everyone patting each other on the back while a fair portion of us are left wondering what was even achieved, especially when we see people happy that they've changed for the better but casually forget of the ignorant things they still sometimes say in day-to-day conversation on the forums.

And it's getting extremely tiring to ask for at the very least the same level of self awareness good people like the GB crew have, who readily admit to being a bunch of straight white dudes with no real perspective on these topics and are in no way offended when called out on that.

I meant that some people can find bits of a work objectionable but still enjoy the work, and for some people that puts them off the whole thing

I don't think that means it is not ok to be offended by the card we are talking about in CAH, for example, or Wonder Pink, or the anal probe weapon in SR IV, or any number of other topics of discussion, and we shouldn't be telling anyone its not ok to be offended by those things, or that those elements aren't offensive.

I admit that I was in the wrong in the CAH argument. Context doesn't necessarily make a joke acceptable, and you should never tell another person they aren't offended by something because you aren't that person.

But if someone is offended by a piece of a work and still chooses to enjoy the rest of the work that isn't offensive, that's ok in my book.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Honestly feel like Watch Dogs should've included the Driver San Francisco "everyone jumps out of the way of your car in time" thing

It seems kinda at odds with the rest of the game

There's some kind of mechanic at play where the civilians either think you're a hero or a terrorist and your actions affect how you're perceived. If they think you're a hero they'll cover for you, if they think you're a terrorist they'll call the cops when they see you, and you can be at some point on a spectrum in the middle.

So being able to kill civilians falls into that and obviously tips the meter towards the terrorist side.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I played CAH with some strangers at PAX, and drew "Raping and Pillaging," and was so relieved, because it meant I could keep it in my hand forever and never play it, never see it hit the table, and never have to find out the contexts in which these people might think it would be funny

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    watch dogs reminds me of the first assassin's creed

really promising, very exciting to look at, but we're a couple of months away from release and we know virtually nothing about how the mechanics of the game actually work. sure, there will be shooting and hacking and driving, but what's the actual game?

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    there are some legitimate reasons why people would not want to continue posting on these forums

[T4CT] left as quietly and without incident as possible so I don't even know why it's a thing

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    altpost
    T4CT wrote:
    when i quit i expect tweet embeds on the fuckin' daily

rest a y'all are slackin

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    altpost
    T4CT wrote:

rest a y'all are slackin

He said daily, it hasn't even been 12 hours yet. Patience.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    altpost
    T4CT wrote:

rest a y'all are slackin

I was waiting for a good hash brown tweet. The day is young.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    straight out of Division 6 Alberta Canada

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    But what happens when new technologies allow for AI routines that lets those civilians have hopes and dreams?

You stop letting Peter Molyneux design your games.

This discussion has been closed.