Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

CF Phalla Signup List

14445464850

Posts

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Also the player list and role distribution.

  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 22
    edit: removed, apparently the game isn't over

    Delmain on
    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited February 22
    @Delmain God you have no idea how tempted I've been to PM the host with my speculation of who's who just to have someone I can be like "See! I knew it!" if I turn out to be correct (probably not, though).

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Not on Any Podcast or Affliated Don't Even Own a MikeRegistered User regular
    Wanna make an Hall & Oates Phalla

    VayBJ4e.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime Designated Wizard Registered User regular
    Wanna make an Hall & Oates Phalla

    You make my dreams come true.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN • MagicPrime | Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

    Ofnv4jq.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Nether Ball Game Two has ended with a MOLDY MELONS and REFEREE VICTORY!

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    Okay, since you guys asked for it here's my excel file for the netherball II phalla. Apologies for it looking pretty garish, I'm on an old computer, and the version of excel it has doesn't support custom background or font colors, but I like using them to help me keep track of various things. Also, I've really gotta start using that player notes sheet more. It's a good idea that I was using in worksheets for previous phallas, but I'm terrible about actually filling it in with observations or speculation. Let me know if there are any issues or if you have any questions.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxvdxrjj12llyqo/2017 Q1 phalla netherball game 2 - Copy.xls?dl=0

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Okay, since you guys asked for it here's my excel file for the netherball II phalla. Apologies for it looking pretty garish, I'm on an old computer, and the version of excel it has doesn't support custom background or font colors, but I like using them to help me keep track of various things. Also, I've really gotta start using that player notes sheet more. It's a good idea that I was using in worksheets for previous phallas, but I'm terrible about actually filling it in with observations or speculation. Let me know if there are any issues or if you have any questions.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxvdxrjj12llyqo/2017 Q1 phalla netherball game 2 - Copy.xls?dl=0

    This was another thing.
    My spreadsheet was only used once by me.

    I was more frustrated by the lack of time I had to put into everything than anything else.

    So I either have to get really good at drunken blind fighting, or I have to stop being so mad at myself for making dumb ill-considered choices :S

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hmm yeah, I do see how that would be more useful for trying to detect voting trends and swings.

    steam_sig.png
    H3Knuckles
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    Is Phyphor's box updated often anymore?

    Otherwise this looks a lot like what my chicken scratchings often do aside nicely formatted/readable...
    Is there some automation in the background?

    discrider on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    discrider wrote: »
    Is Phyphor's box updated often anymore?

    Otherwise this looks a lot like what my chicken scratchings often do aside nicely formatted/readable...
    Is there some automation in the background?

    When I was playing before, Phyphor wasn't in every game and some of the ones he was in he was unable to get it up and running (something about needing to log in from a particular device or something). So I kinda got in the habit of keeping track of it myself.

    If you're asking about my excel file, the only thing automated are the formulas/functions in the worksheet. Pretty much everything else is updated by hand as I go. I can usually do things like the final votes sheet or updating player status pretty quickly, it's making sure I'm doing the vote records correctly that slows me down, hence why I was asking for input on stuff related to those sheets.

    Edit to add:
    discrider wrote: »
    So I either have to get really good at drunken blind fighting, or I have to stop being so mad at myself for making dumb ill-considered choices :S

    This is about where I'm at. I think I spend too much time on doing vote tallies and trying to make notes about everything and not enough time thinking about any one particular player's actions. As a result I haven't built up any kind of sense of who players are or how they play, except for the really notorious personalities like Sir Fab or kime.

    Back when I first started playing, I would dive into soft networking and take stupid chances on comitting to group threads, but it paid off in a lot of little ways that got me a surprising amount of positive buzz in the Phalla Awards last year (unfortunately I didn't see any of it until just recently). However, it also tended to spell the doom of who I was playing with because we were too open, and when things weren't going according to plan in the late game I panicked and screwed everything up in a couple games while trying to figure out who the mole was.

    Going forward I need to focus more on trying to learn to read the players, but that's something I always struggle with, which is part of why I'm usually content with being a low-key casual in most competitive games. I also need to get back on that horse with soft networking, but be more cagey about the extent to which I trust people, while being slower to distrust when things are going wrong.

    Or I could just say to hell with all of it and play by gut. But I know I won't.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yep.
    It's the reading bit that takes time.
    Why someone voted the way they did, as opposed to who they've voted for.

    It's ridiculous how much more effective I was when I could spend 2-3 hours / day analysing every single communication I had received.
    Just the more time you sink into trying to understand why something was sent, the closer you get to the truth.

    Now's it's like: "Gut's telling me something. Don't have time to look. It's probably shit."
    And then get upset later on because getting upset at myself for bad play is in my nature.

    Maybe I just need a list of mafia keywords.
    And then kill everyone who uses them.

    H3Knuckleskime
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    All you need to know : kime is evil.

    Yes, even in a pure faction vs faction game

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    H3KnuckleskimeBrody
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    Spoit wrote: »
    All you need to know : kime is evil.

    Yes, even in a pure faction vs faction game

    Hey!
    At least he said that Sir Fab wasn't a ref this game.
    Same minute Sir Fab said the same thing too!
    Ah ha ha
    Ha

    discrider on
    H3Knuckles
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I just thought...
    I could build my phalla analytical engine into Nethack! (the post-apocalyptic Javascript code-sandox hacking game)

  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    i wouldn't characterize nethack as post-apocalyptic.....

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    So... who's up to host next?

    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    corvidae wrote: »
    i wouldn't characterize nethack as post-apocalyptic.....

    There are no humes.
    Everyone is a robot.
    It's post-apocalyptic in that manner :P

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Not on Any Podcast or Affliated Don't Even Own a MikeRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    All you need to know : kime is evil.

    Yes, even in a pure faction vs faction game

    I disagree!

    VayBJ4e.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Well, it's coming up to the end of February, and Arena of Phalla is still in need of heavy number tweaking. But I still want to run a game! So I will put up a game tomorrow.

    chirisigtext.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Things are calming down in my life, so I'm getting myself back in the Phalla-designing pipeline. At the moment, I'm constructing a Minecraft game in the legacy genre, with a persistent map, inventories, etc. across multiple games. My plan is to introduce new items and features (metals, crops, villager varieties, etc.) with each game, as well as try out different mechanics. So some games might be faction-based, some might not. There might also be some not-a-Phallas and CYOA elements. But always, a player's inventory will persist across games, allowing you guys to gradually build up villages, farms, machine sheds, and magical lairs as the game mechanics grow more complex.

    Is that a game/series people would be interested in trying?

    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Sure.

    When's the next Poke-Phalla @Grunt's Ghosts :bzz:

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Things are calming down in my life, so I'm getting myself back in the Phalla-designing pipeline. At the moment, I'm constructing a Minecraft game in the legacy genre, with a persistent map, inventories, etc. across multiple games. My plan is to introduce new items and features (metals, crops, villager varieties, etc.) with each game, as well as try out different mechanics. So some games might be faction-based, some might not. There might also be some not-a-Phallas and CYOA elements. But always, a player's inventory will persist across games, allowing you guys to gradually build up villages, farms, machine sheds, and magical lairs as the game mechanics grow more complex.

    Is that a game/series people would be interested in trying?

    People are generally interested in all kinds of things. The most important thing when exploring new mechanics and other novelties is to be clear with expectations. You do not want players to feel like they were conned into playing a game that is nothing like they thought it would be.

    AuralynxWACriminalJPantscorvidaeAustinP0027Matev
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Pokemon Champion (retired) Ann ArborRegistered User regular
    I had some crazy ideas for a Fringe Phalla with either two threads or everyone's role alternating between odd days and even days but I haven't gotten much farther than that. Partnership might be useful.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    38thDoeJPants
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Mini-phalla RPS Phalla is now open for signups.

    chirisigtext.png
    H3Knuckles
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    Baidol wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Things are calming down in my life, so I'm getting myself back in the Phalla-designing pipeline. At the moment, I'm constructing a Minecraft game in the legacy genre, with a persistent map, inventories, etc. across multiple games. My plan is to introduce new items and features (metals, crops, villager varieties, etc.) with each game, as well as try out different mechanics. So some games might be faction-based, some might not. There might also be some not-a-Phallas and CYOA elements. But always, a player's inventory will persist across games, allowing you guys to gradually build up villages, farms, machine sheds, and magical lairs as the game mechanics grow more complex.

    Is that a game/series people would be interested in trying?

    People are generally interested in all kinds of things. The most important thing when exploring new mechanics and other novelties is to be clear with expectations. You do not want players to feel like they were conned into playing a game that is nothing like they thought it would be.

    Rats. There goes my big ideas.

    Edit: I mean, it's a fair point. I had two ideas for games with a big twist, but probably never would've attempted them anyways.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I still want to do a Marvel secret invasion Civil War phalla at some point

    steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Mortius is correct Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I still want to do my Disney Princess* Faction game at some point.

    Maybe in like... 5 years once the kid is in school.

  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You probably won't want to hear this, but babies are easier.

    ObiFettMegafrostlonelyahava
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    You probably won't want to hear this, but babies are easier.

    Completely true. The 1 year old is easier to take care of than the 4 year old.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The 4 year old should be able to help you pick the princess role distribution/mechanics though.

    cj iwakura
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Things are calming down in my life, so I'm getting myself back in the Phalla-designing pipeline. At the moment, I'm constructing a Minecraft game in the legacy genre, with a persistent map, inventories, etc. across multiple games. My plan is to introduce new items and features (metals, crops, villager varieties, etc.) with each game, as well as try out different mechanics. So some games might be faction-based, some might not. There might also be some not-a-Phallas and CYOA elements. But always, a player's inventory will persist across games, allowing you guys to gradually build up villages, farms, machine sheds, and magical lairs as the game mechanics grow more complex.

    Is that a game/series people would be interested in trying?

    People are generally interested in all kinds of things. The most important thing when exploring new mechanics and other novelties is to be clear with expectations. You do not want players to feel like they were conned into playing a game that is nothing like they thought it would be.

    Rats. There goes my big ideas.

    Edit: I mean, it's a fair point. I had two ideas for games with a big twist, but probably never would've attempted them anyways.

    I think that people would be open to "Plot Twists" if they were about the story or setting, but not about the way the game functions.

    People would probably enjoy a good twist, but not at the sake of them finding out that the faction game they thought they were playing is a survivor game that suddenly pits them against the people they were working with and invalidates multiple days of work. Especially if you're thinking of persistent across game effects.

    If they thought they were playing to win by buddying up with 3 people and have been building their inventory/skills/whatever in that way, if you changed it mid-game, people would be unhappy that they could be at a disadvantage about something they couldn't have possibly known.

    I like the idea of games affecting each other (pretty sure there have been one or two settings that have done that, not played them though), as it's nice to have some sort of carryover. At the same time, I'd want to know what my goals are from the beginning, as I shouldn't be able to make a choice in one game that makes it impossible for me to win in the next game.

    BaidolJPants
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That's not to say that gameplay twists are totally verbotten. That's almost a prerequisite for a cultist, for example.

    steam_sig.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Don't people generally hate the cultist role/team?

    I mean, if you know some people are going be unhappy at the end, you can always just accept that for the game design you want.

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    Well, idea 1 was very much just a handful of ideas for a Code Geass game and not remotely developed.
    it'd be faction-based, with two alliances of several different factions each, loosely affiliated by having a common goal of defeating the opposing alliance, but differing win cons beyond that. The big twist was going to be that Diethard would be a kind of survival neutral with a wincon compelling him to "go where the story is" (no idea how to actually do that mechanically), who would have the power to manipulate the daily narration. Also, whoever was playing as Lelouch would need to have a way to anonymously contact the players who were Black Knights in his capacity as Zero, creating confusion as to which Britannian was on their side. I had some other crazy ideas for characters like Mao (who can read minds, but has no control over whom, he just perpetually hears the thoughts of everyone in a wide area around him), Anya & Marianne (Marianne is dead, but her geass allowed her to project her conciousness into Anya's mind, acting as a split-personality that guided the girl into a life of being a child-prodigy mecha-pilot), & Charles (has a geass that can alter other people's memories), none of which would probably be doable, at least not in a fun way. CC & VV would also be tricky to do, what with being immortal unless a geass-user with a sufficiently developed Geass does them in, but the idea of opposed players whose special power is to give other players a randomly-selected special power seemed pretty cool.

    The other idea was more tame, but basically amounted to presenting the game as a standard village/mafia set-up, except it's actually a faction game with multiple competing groups (each with distinct abilities, who'd all initially be led to think they were the only mafia based on their role pms) and only a small village with a paranoid seer (who'd see everyone as a mafia, but correctly identify which faction the real mafia are in). This was loosely inspired by Warhammer (but wouldn't have been overtly flavored that way since it'd be a dead giveaway to anyone familiar with the settings).

    Edit: Forgot "cult" and "cultist" have a specific meaning in mafia game terms. Fixed idea 2's description.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Well, idea 1 was very much just a handful of ideas for a Code Geass game and not remotely developed.
    it'd be faction-based, with two alliances of several different factions each, loosely affiliated by having a common goal of defeating the opposing alliance, but differing win cons beyond that. The big twist was going to be that Diethard would be a kind of survival neutral with a wincon compelling him to "go where the story is" (no idea how to actually do that mechanically), who would have the power to manipulate the daily narration. Also, whoever was playing as Lelouch would need to have a way to anonymously contact the players who were Black Knights in his capacity as Zero, creating confusion as to which Britannian was on their side. I had some other crazy ideas for characters like Mao (who can read minds, but has no control over whom, he just perpetually hears the thoughts of everyone in a wide area around him), Anya & Marianne (Marianne is dead, but her geass allowed her to project her conciousness into Anya's mind, acting as a split-personality that guided the girl into a life of being a child-prodigy mecha-pilot), & Charles (has a geass that can alter other people's memories), none of which would probably be doable, at least not in a fun way. CC & VV would also be tricky to do, what with being immortal unless a geass-user with a sufficiently developed Geass does them in, but the idea of opposed players whose special power is to give other players a randomly-selected special power seemed pretty cool.

    The other idea was more tame, but basically amounted to presenting the game as a standard village/mafia set-up, except it's actually a faction game with multiple competing groups (each with distinct abilities, who'd all initially be led to think they were the only mafia based on their role pms) and only a small village with a paranoid seer (who'd see everyone as a mafia, but correctly identify which faction the real mafia are in). This was loosely inspired by Warhammer (but wouldn't have been overtly flavored that way since it'd be a dead giveaway to anyone familiar with the settings).

    Edit: Forgot "cult" and "cultist" have a specific meaning in mafia game terms. Fixed idea 2's description.

    lol I did exactly this

    I did it because I was curious if mafia are generally less or more talkative and wanted to see what would happen if everyone thought they were mafia

    People were not happy at the end of that game

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175532/mini-phalla-mafia-village-the-informed-minority-aka-mafia-and-inantp-wins/p1

    ObiFett on
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (Destiny / Battleborn / Minecraft / Divinity / Division)
    PC Gaming - Borderlands 2 / Total Warhammer / Pillars of Eternity / Heroes of the Storm
    Wildstar- Novah Lionstar (Dominion) / Alema Ventress (Exile)
    SWTOR - Novah Lionstar (Shadowlands)
    Fun fact: obi never shits. He burns efficiently enough so as to produce minimal waste. All leftover matter is deposited in his venom sacs
    H3KnucklespremiumMatev
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited March 2
    Expectations! While it might damp down the "oh shit" factor, telling people that things may get crazy at some point at least tells people that, yeah, you might be signing up for a glorious train wreck. In that case, most people will say "Well, shit, I'm getting the fuck on anyway."

    Baidol on
    ObiFettH3Knuckles38thDoekimepremiumlonelyahavaMatevPredaAustinP0027InfidelBurnageEgos
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    I'd like to say, I do have an idea for a faction-battle style Bloodborne game I might want to try and do for next Halloween. I'd probably need someone to write the narration. Although, I knew a guy on the Game Grumps subreddit who's a huge nut for the lore, maybe I should see if he'd be interested in writing for it... Well, if a regular here is interested, let me know and we'll see when it gets to be that time of year.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's based on the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Expectations! While it might damp down the "oh shit" factor, telling people that things may get crazy at some point at least tells people that, yeah, you might be signing up for a glorious train wreck. In that case, most people will say "Well, shit, I'm getting the fuck on anyway."

    Yeah, that is a lesson better not learned through experience so all new hosts should commit the above post to memory

    Xbox Live - ObiFett (Destiny / Battleborn / Minecraft / Divinity / Division)
    PC Gaming - Borderlands 2 / Total Warhammer / Pillars of Eternity / Heroes of the Storm
    Wildstar- Novah Lionstar (Dominion) / Alema Ventress (Exile)
    SWTOR - Novah Lionstar (Shadowlands)
    Fun fact: obi never shits. He burns efficiently enough so as to produce minimal waste. All leftover matter is deposited in his venom sacs
    lonelyahavaMatev
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Expectations! While it might damp down the "oh shit" factor, telling people that things may get crazy at some point at least tells people that, yeah, you might be signing up for a glorious train wreck. In that case, most people will say "Well, shit, I'm getting the fuck on anyway."

    Yeah, that is a lesson better not learned through experience so all new hosts should commit the above post to memory

    Just pull it enough that that kind of thing is already assumed

    steam_sig.png
    H3Knuckles
Sign In or Register to comment.