As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No One [chat]s Forever

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I'm really against focused education degrees, in general

I'm really for an increase in pedagogical theory as a core requirement of any college degree, across the board
    What benefit would accountants gain from learning how to teach?

Quite a lot. A lot of pedagogical theory is as much about learning how to teach others as it is learning how to learn, in general

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/03/twilight-of-the-lecture
    Interactive pedagogy, for example, turns passive, note-taking students into active, de facto teachers who explain their ideas to each other and contend for their points of view. (“The person who learns the most in any classroom,” Mazur declares, “is the teacher.”) Thousands of research studies on learning indicate that “active learning is really at a premium. It’s the most effective thing,” says Terry Aladjem, executive director of the Bok Center and lecturer on social studies. “That means focusing on what students actually do in the classroom, or in some other learning environment. From cognitive science, we hear that learning is a process of moving information from short-term to long-term memory; assessment research has proven that active learning does that best.”

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I'm really for an increase in pedagogical theory as a core requirement of any college degree, across the board

I disagree with the requirement, but I like where you're going with it. I think it should be an elective or like a 9 credit minor for minors subspecialization or something.

Well, from my perspective- my undergrad degree had three mandatory writing classes

one of those could have easily been replaced (the last one, probably) with a pedagogical theory class with no real detriment, and probably a lot of benefit

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    cass eating beans would violate the geneva convention

because of the farts

its like a million voices suddenly cried out... then were silenced.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Adding one required class, or the option to take pedagogy instead of a writing class for the same requirement, would be incredibly helpful for a whole lot of degree programs IMO

as a college

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    cass eating beans would violate the geneva convention

because of the farts

its like a million voices suddenly cried out... then were silenced.

silenced by the terrible farts

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Feral clean up after yourself! Don't just drop articles wherever you want, you messy person!

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

What benefit would accountants gain from learning how to teach?

Quite a lot. A lot of pedagogical theory is as much about learning how to teach others as it is learning how to learn, in general

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/03/twilight-of-the-lecture
    Interactive pedagogy, for example, turns passive, note-taking students into active, de facto teachers who explain their ideas to each other and contend for their points of view. (“The person who learns the most in any classroom,” Mazur declares, “is the teacher.”) Thousands of research studies on learning indicate that “active learning is really at a premium. It’s the most effective thing,” says Terry Aladjem, executive director of the Bok Center and lecturer on social studies. “That means focusing on what students actually do in the classroom, or in some other learning environment. From cognitive science, we hear that learning is a process of moving information from short-term to long-term memory; assessment research has proven that active learning does that best.”

This is literally exactly what I am talking about so yey

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    how do i put one of these newfangled internet books on my ipad

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Adding one required class, or the option to take pedagogy instead of a writing class for the same requirement, would be incredibly helpful for a whole lot of degree programs IMO

as a college

I'll agree with this. I'd rather them strip out the literary program and replace it with a pedagogy one. That makes a lot more sense.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yup

i say it again and again but the one thing i'd love about enforced attendance and participation is that i never, ever learn as much as when i get called to the board to solve a problem and i get active feedback from people calling stuff out

like a study group with direction!

it's p great

now if only i could chain all my fellow students to my desk

• Options
    aanyway time to go teach with active learning I HOPE>?@?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    bowen wrote: »
    A good degree teaches one how to infer from data and formulate a hypothesis. A bad degree expects you to teach other people. Why? Because there are just some people who really cannot teach. Or, they can, but it's not very effective. Like using physical attacks against a ghost pokemans.

Bad example. Ghost's are unaffected by Fighting and Normal attacks. =P
    Organichu wrote: »
    er i meant it accepts 25.9, that's what i meant

but yeah

the sig figs are weird v.v

No, sig-figs are easy and this homework or whatever it is is harmful because it's teaching it wrong.

2.6 * 40.1 = 1.0E2

This should never really require guesswork.

You ignore significant figures completely while doing the calculations, then you look at how many sigfigs your least precise given value had and round the answer to that number of significant figures.

Delmain on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Early-childhood pedagogy is suitably different from teenager/adult pedagogy that it justifies being its own specialization.

Simply 'learning how to teach (other adults)' should be a part of every single class on every subject everywhere if your objective is to actually have your students learn things.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    a big ego is fine if you have the skill to back it up

I'll clap for ego with skill but I'll admire skill with class.

• Options
    Peyton Manning is the classiest person with skill.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Do you know... I've never heard a good argument for why I need to care about the suffering of animals in mass meat production environments, outside of the secondary impact on human consumers (ie. antibiotic overuse, sanitary conditions, etc).

Have you ever heard a good argument for why you need to care about the suffering of human beings?

I get lines from teacher if I don't.

• Options
    Peyton Manning is the classiest person with skill.

I admire Peyton Manning and would buy him a refreshing beverage of his choosing.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

I agree, but things would be boring if everyone was humble.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    My phone just survived 90 minutes on 2% battery

It was like the oil in the temple lighting the menorah for eight nights instead of one

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxinAWaiiI

edit: though le tis's version of this goal is even better

815165 on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to spend roughly two credit-years of almost every college student's education teaching the basics that they should be learning in High School (or, in many cases, grade school)?

I mean...yeah, requiring twelve credits of basic writing / composition classes for college students is stupid and a lot of those credits should probably be replaced with something useful. At the same time, have you ever been in one of those 100 level classes? You've got to learn to run before you can walk, and you can't teach those kids how to teach a class if they can't even write a basic paragraph.

Also, peace in the middle east, socialized medicine, and ending the drug war. That would be nice too.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    OH MAN I DIDN'T MEAN TO POST IN THE OLD CHAT THREAD

i am so sorry guys.

that's about as low as i would go for a klondike bar tho

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Even with skill? I'm not against celebration, but few people have the chops to get away with being clever.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Did Beck ever get around to building that libertarian utopia in Michigan or whatever? I'm hungry for Rapture: The CNN 24-Hour News Event

I can't find any news on that since January. It looks like it's supposed to be in Texas.

this is a thing?

http://rt.com/usa/beck-independence-usa-own-077/

I only saw this now. I thought it was going to be about Beck, as in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2whdGwK84Y

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

you need a digital camera and a scanner. you have to take a picture of each page. have them printed out at like a Walgreens or any drugstore that will print off of your Digital Memory Card then you scan those pages into your computer. After that there's an easy process of transferring your now digitized books to your apple device by uploading them to the iTunes server and then downloading them to your iPad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    i dont really have a problem with homeschooling for the same reason i dont really have a problem with private schooling

I think there should be a core curriculum that all kids need to learn / be tested on. So many hours / week of the basics - math, science, reading / writing, etc.

Some sort of testing / monitoring to make sure the kids are actually being taught and not just left to fuck off, or spending eight hours a day studying Genesis, or doing piecework for their parents 'home business'.

There should be freedom for parents or schools to provide an alternative curriculum, but I'm not opposed to requiring some sort of accredited oversight of every student - home, private, or public. When I home schooled, I received a complete curriculum from an accredited home-schooling place and had to submit work bi-weekly for review / grading and take regular tests. My parents are literate and fairly well educated, but even if they knew nothing I had the resources to receive an education comparable to a 'real' classroom.

Just install the kindle app for ipad.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    basically I care less about animal suffering than I do about human suffering so I'd probably find a way to stop driving or using cell phones before I gave up meat

I've resigned myself to the fact that a first world existence causes suffering, and I volunteer to political causes most opposed to creating more suffering or in favor of reducing existing suffering

which is why I support policies that lower meat consumption in the US (that and the other benefits, it's all benefits across the board). I don't want to end eating meat, I'm comfortable with the human eats cow relationship, but I do want to end or severely reduce the process that leads to the animals having horrible existences. Unless the aforementioned vat meat somehow ends up replacing it and we can give up livestock period, but if someone wants to raise animals to slaughter them humanely it should never be illegal

override367 on
  • Options
    I would pay retail price for a Klondike bar.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Irondwill

Sorry bro but I'm in bed by eight o'clock on weeknights. Which doesn't leave much time to fight traffic down to DC and back.

• Options
    Dammit.

@Irond Will

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

as a college

I'ma agree with this here. I've make 'em scrip up the book thing and do talkin more better class. That makes alot more bigger sense.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Make everyone watch the wire.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Well, we can always do real cartoons.

Are homeschooled kids required to take the SAT?

They are if they want into a college.

Well, that's the thing. Maybe more of them don't even bother taking the test, whereas in a public school, you're kinda peer pressured into it.

I mean sure, there are probably nobel prize winning upper middle class single income families where the instructor parent takes their kids on the magic school bus of learning and academic excellence, but Im willing to bet they are greatly outnumbered by backwoods yokels that dont want the devil putting ideas in their precious Jimmy Dean's brain noodle.
    Yeah, so it turns out you're exactly backwards about everything you wrote here!

People in public school are not peer pressured to take the SATs - it's just the opposite, outside the subset of high-achievers.
    Nobel prize winners send their kids to private academies and don't take huge amounts of time to homeschool their kids, because they're busy winning nobel prizes for shit at their jobs.
    Backwoods yokels similarly don't have time to homeschool much because lol economy + poverty

Most homeschoolers are middle-class families where one parent raises the kids and for one reason or another (mostly either religious or 'all my schools are hella terrible') decide to do it themselves.

Lots of times now they band together and do ad-hoc school, often taught by people who have expertise in their fields rather than by people who have expertise in getting a shitty degree in 'education'.

Everyone in my high school was expected to take the SAT, including those attending the Vocational High School. If you didn't you were pressured to do so to the point where I know my senior year individual guidance counselors paid for 10 students that I know of (class of 300) to take it out of their own pockets (as their excuse was they couldn't afford it). Only two or three of those went to college (some went military, some had a trade, one liked heroin and was dead inside 3 years) but they knew it was hard to go to any post-secondary community college/state school if they didn't take it at all. In MA, ~90% of high schoolers take the SAT.

Most of the statistics offered by homeschooling advocates are based on scientifically invalid studies prepared by biased groups. Most people focused on education aren't all that concerned about the small minority of students who opt out of both public and private education. So you end up with 1 or 2 credible reports pointing to demographics and self-selection countered by 10 junk "science" reports that aren't fit to be published (and are rarely peer reviewed).

But even advocacy groups say that @Deebaser is closer to the truth. You'll find this pretty much everywhere:
    Check out this National Data! For the graduating class of 2012, 13,647 students who list themselves as homeschooled took the test, and their average composite score was 22.6. [1,666,017 students took the test in all, averaging 21.1.] [0.82% homeschoolers].
    So for the ACT, 0.82% of test takers were homeschooled. Homeschooled kids apparently account for someplace around 3% of the school aged population. This suggests that homeschooled kids are roughly 1/4 as likely to take the ACT. This would more than explain the discrepancy through self-selection.

Nearly 90% of MA HSers take the SAT, highest in the country. Only 23% take the ACT (which is more oriented to Southern/Midwestern schools IIANM). MA has the highest average ACT score (24.1 when national average is 21.1), but the 27th average SAT. CT has the 2nd highest SAT participation (88%) and 31st score, but 2nd highest score for ACT (27% participation).

83% of homeschooling parents reported doing so to provide moral or religious instruction as of 2007, and the plurality said this was the most important reason.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    It's extremely disappointing that GTA5's plot seems like its pretty awful

Remember CJ from Grove Street? That guy was a criminal but he was relatable

these 3 new assholes are pretty much assholes for the sake of being assholes

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I would not.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Quid wrote: »
    @Irondwill

Sorry bro but I'm in bed by eight o'clock on weeknights. Which doesn't leave much time to fight traffic down to DC and back.

@Quid

no prob. turns out i have a darpa dinner on mon night, so it would have to be a late hangout anyhow

hopefully i can catch you on the next one

you don't work at the navy yard do you? is everything cool?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

You know what would make a Klondike bar better? A stick so I don't make a huge mess every time I try to eat one.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Irondwill

Quid

no prob. turns out i have a darpa dinner on mon night, so it would have to be a late hangout anyhow

hopefully i can catch you on the next one

you don't work at the navy yard do you? is everything cool?

Nah I'm a ways out from there. Still freaky given how often we take the metro down to that area.

• Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I would not.

You Drumstick whore.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Gahhn I sent this andrology center an email since they won't pick up their phone. They send me an email yelling me to call them. They still wont pick up their damn phones.

This discussion has been closed.