As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No One [chat]s Forever

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    is glenn beck seriously suggesting that PETA has any influence or authority

I can't name a single democratic politician that thinks animals belong to the earth and you cant own them

They should be flagged as a terrorist organization TBH. Right up there with Al Qaeda.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    PETA bought a giant freezer because they couldnt figure out what to do with all the animals they rescued because they dont believe in pet ownership
    so they put them in the freezer

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Beck was one of the only people in TV in 2008 who said the bailout wasn't nearly big enough (I think he was right)

then he got a job at fox and found out there was gold to be had in crazy

and also in selling gold to crazy

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Did Beck ever get around to building that libertarian utopia in Michigan or whatever? I'm hungry for Rapture: The CNN 24-Hour News Event

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Mostly, but not entirely, because Glenn Beck said on his program that Agenda 21 is going to be used by Obama to eminent domain suburban homes and force the residents to relocate to cities

He wrote* a book about it, too.
    “We had our own farm once. Land. Rolling hills. Green fields. We raised animals, crops. We owned property. It was ours.”

“What happened to it? Where was it?”

“Far away. It was far away. Laws changed. The Authority owns all the property now.”

Why, I wanted to ask, did the laws change? But I didn’t ask her, didn’t interrupt the stories. If I did, she would shut down and turn her face to the wall. That would be the end of her talking.

“We kept animals on the farm,” she said.

Imagine that! Keeping animals! At every Social Update Meeting they remind us that animals are sacred and belong to the Earth, not to people. Animals are protected. We have to recite, in unison, the Pledge of Animals.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth and to the sacred rights of the Earth and to the Animals of the Earth.

*ie, someone else wrote a book and then he just stuck his name on it

I dunno. It sounds dumb and poorly-written enough to actually be by him.

Nah, we know it was written by a woman named Harriet Parke. When it was first announced, Beck pretended he wrote it, then someone called him out on it, and he said "Well, when I said I wrote it, I didn't mean I literally wrote it." After that he started crediting her as a co-author.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    yeah idk where the image of homeschoolers as yokels comes from

they're mostly white middle class families, the religious extremist homeschool thing exists but its a fringe element

my cousin homeschools because of religion : (

she has 7 kids

and her husband is in finance and they have a giant mansion

Read that as giant mushroom.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if the professor tells us we can't bring in a cheat sheet with formulae

but says we can bring in any calculator without internet connectivity or a qwerty keyboard- meaning we're allowed 83/84/89 series calcs

is that him tacitly saying we can store stuff in calc memory :9

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    is glenn beck seriously suggesting that PETA has any influence or authority

I can't name a single democratic politician that thinks animals belong to the earth and you cant own them

Facts, reason, deduction, and logic are meaningless in a programming culture that promotes fear and hyperbole statements in order to further it's own agenda.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Someone just sent me a link to some awful thing some random Russian politician said about the Navy Yard shooting.

Man, if every awful thing every random politician in America said about any disaster anywhere was national news, we would look like complete assholes.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Mostly, but not entirely, because Glenn Beck said on his program that Agenda 21 is going to be used by Obama to eminent domain suburban homes and force the residents to relocate to cities

He wrote* a book about it, too.
    “We had our own farm once. Land. Rolling hills. Green fields. We raised animals, crops. We owned property. It was ours.”

“What happened to it? Where was it?”

“Far away. It was far away. Laws changed. The Authority owns all the property now.”

Why, I wanted to ask, did the laws change? But I didn’t ask her, didn’t interrupt the stories. If I did, she would shut down and turn her face to the wall. That would be the end of her talking.

“We kept animals on the farm,” she said.

Imagine that! Keeping animals! At every Social Update Meeting they remind us that animals are sacred and belong to the Earth, not to people. Animals are protected. We have to recite, in unison, the Pledge of Animals.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth and to the sacred rights of the Earth and to the Animals of the Earth.

*ie, someone else wrote a book and then he just stuck his name on it

I dunno. It sounds dumb and poorly-written enough to actually be by him.

Nah, we know it was written by a woman named Harriet Parke. When it was first announced, Beck pretended he wrote it, then someone called him out on it, and he said "Well, when I said I wrote it, I didn't mean I literally wrote it." After that he started crediting her as a co-author.

It's pretty bad when your ghost writer isn't any better a writer than you are.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what the idea with "America's obsession with meat products" comes from. Like, it's not like America just sprung out of the ground overnight and was like "MEEeeeeaaat."

Pretty sure most Western countries have habits like we do in regards to dinner. Hell, Americans probably are more diverse than say England or France. The only difference being French people eat snails.

Americans eat more beef and chicken, on average, than other countries, and we are second in the world for pork consumption

I am in extreme doubt of your statements at this point in time.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1377.pdf

I literally just gave a lecture on this to my students

So your solution to factory farming is "eat less meat"?

I don't see how that stops factory farming, it would just be somewhat less factory farming

I don't really get the opposition to cultured meat, eventually it could be a far more eco friendly (and healthier) alternative that doesnt kill any actual animals

Lab-meat might be better than factory-meat, but it will still never be better than plants. Ergo we return to the original and best solution of reducing meat consumption.

• Options
    god damn this logitech keyboard snap on cover for my ipad is fucking civilization

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

but says we can bring in any calculator without internet connectivity or a qwerty keyboard- meaning we're allowed 83/84/89 series calcs

You probably should have asked that when they were going over the syllabus.
    Totally serious.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    When Big Ben was built in 1859, charts were issued to show the allowance that had to be made for the sound of the bell, traveling at ~768 mph, to reach different parts of London.

The correction at Paddington Station was 6 seconds, 8 seconds in Notting Hill, and 13 seconds at the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

http://i.imgur.com/YCDfnn4.jpg

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Happy Birthday @Elendil !!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what the idea with "America's obsession with meat products" comes from. Like, it's not like America just sprung out of the ground overnight and was like "MEEeeeeaaat."

Pretty sure most Western countries have habits like we do in regards to dinner. Hell, Americans probably are more diverse than say England or France. The only difference being French people eat snails.

Americans eat more beef and chicken, on average, than other countries, and we are second in the world for pork consumption

I don't see how that stops factory farming, it would just be somewhat less factory farming

I don't really get the opposition to cultured meat, eventually it could be a far more eco friendly (and healthier) alternative that doesnt kill any actual animals

Lab-meat might be better than factory-meat, but it will still never be better than plants. Ergo we return to the original and best solution of reducing meat consumption.

I don't see why it couldn't?

Anyway, regular farming kills millions of rabbits and voles and shit and is slowly becoming less viable because of large scale dependance on fossil fuels to create fertilizer

edit: also aquifer depletion and topsoil erosion and stuff

override367 on
  • Options
    @Organichu

I know you have a crush on Honda.

Have you been watchign TUF?

Does her level of crazy turn you on more?

I'll bet it does, doesn't it?

Also I still cannot put n and g in the correct order wtf?

• Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Organichu

i don't actually have a crush on her

she seems like a not-super-likable person

i just think she is hot and also i like her armbar game

from what i hear she is very unpleasant on TUF

also my 19 year old coworker is blonde and hot and acting all crazy recently

it makes me feel ways

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @spool32 I watched tsm vs omg last night

What other one should I watch

• Options

Anyway, regular farming kills millions of rabbits and voles and shit and is slowly becoming less viable because of large scale dependance on fossil fuels to create fertilizer

The raw materials for lab-meat are still going to be plant derived. Or I guess some advances could be made with fungi.

The agriculture problem is a real one and I'm a huge advocate for permaculture practices, local/urban farming, rooftop gardens, etc. I'll not go so far as to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, however, because a "conventionally-farmed" salad is still orders of magnitude better than a comparable hamburger in terms of both fossil fuel use and animal cruelty.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Well, we can always do real cartoons.

Are homeschooled kids required to take the SAT?

They are if they want into a college.

Well, that's the thing. Maybe more of them don't even bother taking the test, whereas in a public school, you're kinda peer pressured into it.

I mean sure, there are probably nobel prize winning upper middle class single income families where the instructor parent takes their kids on the magic school bus of learning and academic excellence, but Im willing to bet they are greatly outnumbered by backwoods yokels that dont want the devil putting ideas in their precious Jimmy Dean's brain noodle.

Yeah, so it turns out you're exactly backwards about everything you wrote here!

People in public school are not peer pressured to take the SATs - it's just the opposite, outside the subset of high-achievers.
    Nobel prize winners send their kids to private academies and don't take huge amounts of time to homeschool their kids, because they're busy winning nobel prizes for shit at their jobs.
    Backwoods yokels similarly don't have time to homeschool much because lol economy + poverty

Most homeschoolers are middle-class families where one parent raises the kids and for one reason or another (mostly either religious or 'all my schools are hella terrible') decide to do it themselves.

Lots of times now they band together and do ad-hoc school, often taught by people who have expertise in their fields rather than by people who have expertise in getting a shitty degree in 'education'.

Ah yes, because it's not like being able to instruct people is its own skill set. I'm tired of the shitting on education as a skillset. And

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    oh god i gotta get back to work in like 5 minutes noooo

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    god damn this logitech keyboard snap on cover for my ipad is fucking civilization

I'll have to look for one. I've been trying to find a good alternative to this Kensington leather one I was using.. I just keep putting it off

• Options

The raw materials for lab-meat are still going to be plant derived. Or I guess some advances could be made with fungi.

The agriculture problem is a real one and I'm a huge advocate for permaculture practices, local/urban farming, rooftop gardens, etc. I'll not go so far as to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, however, because a "conventionally-farmed" salad is still orders of magnitude better than a comparable hamburger in terms of both fossil fuel use and animal cruelty.

*nods*

*continues eating cheeseburger*

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Did Beck ever get around to building that libertarian utopia in Michigan or whatever? I'm hungry for Rapture: The CNN 24-Hour News Event

I can't find any news on that since January. It looks like it's supposed to be in Texas.

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Well, we can always do real cartoons.

Are homeschooled kids required to take the SAT?

They are if they want into a college.

Well, that's the thing. Maybe more of them don't even bother taking the test, whereas in a public school, you're kinda peer pressured into it.

I mean sure, there are probably nobel prize winning upper middle class single income families where the instructor parent takes their kids on the magic school bus of learning and academic excellence, but Im willing to bet they are greatly outnumbered by backwoods yokels that dont want the devil putting ideas in their precious Jimmy Dean's brain noodle.

Yeah, so it turns out you're exactly backwards about everything you wrote here!

People in public school are not peer pressured to take the SATs - it's just the opposite, outside the subset of high-achievers.
    Nobel prize winners send their kids to private academies and don't take huge amounts of time to homeschool their kids, because they're busy winning nobel prizes for shit at their jobs.
    Backwoods yokels similarly don't have time to homeschool much because lol economy + poverty

Most homeschoolers are middle-class families where one parent raises the kids and for one reason or another (mostly either religious or 'all my schools are hella terrible') decide to do it themselves.

Lots of times now they band together and do ad-hoc school, often taught by people who have expertise in their fields rather than by people who have expertise in getting a shitty degree in 'education'.

Ah yes, because it's not like being able to instruct people is its own skill set. I'm tired of the shitting on education as a skillset. And

My girlfriend has 6 years in the classroom, and I'll trolllol education degrees all day e'eryday. It what she got her Masters in as well. It's more pop psychology academically with a sprinkling of bad economics than ever.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    well homeschooler parents are more likely to be educated and have more income than parents of children who go to public school

and household income is the greatest predictor of academic performance anyway

although I'm sure there are some poor households who homeschool instead of sending their kids to PS Shithole or whatever
    Even highly efficient education, partially self-directed study would require 20+ hours a week of dedicated instruction. Most families require dual income and lack sufficient free time, even if they are qualified to teach a broad range of subjects at a HS level.

I was never challenged in school, "gifted", 99th percentile etc etc. The things I struggled with were socialization and working hard in a system that didn't move as fast as I wanted or in what I saw as an optimal fashion. If I'd been homeschooled I would have been even farther behind on these things. I, frankly, don't think I could have functioned in society.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    yeah Ronda Rousey is not impressing me on TUF at all

I love her as a fighter and I thought Misha is a dick (she launched off her opponent with her hand when the round ended in the match I saw)

but

my respect for Ronda is just bleeding, mostly because of how she dealt with Shayna

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

I can't find any news on that since January. It looks like it's supposed to be in Texas.

this is a thing?

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @ronya

This basically sums up my particular ontological condundrum:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/09/beyond-belief/

@hamurabi

you may also be amused that Catholic opposition in Eastern Europe to Soviet domination was frequently also heavily tinged with white supremacy and anti-semitism

in any case, an economist's disposition here is to presume that talk is cheap: religion is at its core an economic institution, and the words are just dressing; the role that human reason and reflection plays in intermediating how religious rhetoric translates to institutional effect is limited. Until the day that the philosophers and linguists deliver to us a quantitative theory of semiotics, but we are a while away from that.

And I would say -- and have said -- that religion is an inherently political enterprise to provide for the legitimation of timeless/classic modes of hierarchal organization and governance. It has historically bent the knee to/been subordinated and coopted by "secular" power for "secular" ends but also becomes a common mode of opposition to that same "secular" power.

But the problem with calling Religion Politics-by-another-name is that there is then nothing that isn't Politics, by that definition... which becomes highly problematic when you're trying to isolate causal variables -- even if they all stem from the same ur-source (Politics).

yes, well, nobody promised you that macroecon would be easy. I've remarked before that we need newer mathematicals tools.

Which reminds me: I met with Tarek Masoud today during his office hours to get some general career advice. He suggested that for what I wanna do -- Middle East policy -- that I pretty much have to pursue a PhD. He said a dual-MA between the Div School and K School is inoptimal just because that kind of work basically requires PhD level knowledge of PoliSci and econ. He pretty much told me flat out that just a Div School MA was not going to get me to where I wanna go, and that transferring to the K School might actually just be a better idea -- and that there may be a "backdoor way" of doing that instead of an off-the-street application.

• Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Organichu

i don't actually have a crush on her

she seems like a not-super-likable person

i just think she is hot and also i like her armbar game

from what i hear she is very unpleasant on TUF

also my 19 year old coworker is blonde and hot and acting all crazy recently

it makes me feel ways

She's just super unstable.

Hot and unstable.

I just figured you'd be into that.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 I watched tsm vs omg last night

What other one should I watch

All the OMG games are good. They are super fucking aggressive!

Vulcan's last one is also good.

I watched like 8 games yesterday and they were all pretty excellent, but those were the highlights IMO.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think people underestimate the suffering of modern farm animals.

However, trying to talk about this and suggesting people eat meat usually results in people suddenly becoming hardcore hedonists who don't care about the suffering of others.

• Options
    MadCaddy wrote: »

I'll have to look for one. I've been trying to find a good alternative to this Kensington leather one I was using.. I just keep putting it off

Im using this one, it makes the ipad a solid metal clamshell when closed, and when you stand the ipad up it firmly locks into place

its also relatively easy to type with once you get the hang of it

• Options

*nods*

You're a walking argument against democracy.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »

this is a thing?

http://rt.com/usa/beck-independence-usa-own-077/

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @ronya

This basically sums up my particular ontological condundrum:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/09/beyond-belief/

@hamurabi

you may also be amused that Catholic opposition in Eastern Europe to Soviet domination was frequently also heavily tinged with white supremacy and anti-semitism

in any case, an economist's disposition here is to presume that talk is cheap: religion is at its core an economic institution, and the words are just dressing; the role that human reason and reflection plays in intermediating how religious rhetoric translates to institutional effect is limited. Until the day that the philosophers and linguists deliver to us a quantitative theory of semiotics, but we are a while away from that.

And I would say -- and have said -- that religion is an inherently political enterprise to provide for the legitimation of timeless/classic modes of hierarchal organization and governance. It has historically bent the knee to/been subordinated and coopted by "secular" power for "secular" ends but also becomes a common mode of opposition to that same "secular" power.

But the problem with calling Religion Politics-by-another-name is that there is then nothing that isn't Politics, by that definition... which becomes highly problematic when you're trying to isolate causal variables -- even if they all stem from the same ur-source (Politics).

yes, well, nobody promised you that macroecon would be easy. I've remarked before that we need newer mathematicals tools.

Which reminds me: I met with Tarek Masoud today during his office hours to get some general career advice. He suggested that for what I wanna do -- Middle East policy -- that I pretty much have to pursue a PhD. He said a dual-MA between the Div School and K School is inoptimal just because that kind of work basically requires PhD level knowledge of PoliSci and econ. He pretty much told me flat out that just a Div School MA was not going to get me to where I wanna go, and that transferring to the K School might actually just be a better idea -- and that there may be a "backdoor way" of doing that instead of an off-the-street application.

sounds like a good idea to me!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

*nods*

You're a walking argument against democracy.

why are you singling me out when almost everybody in this thread eats meat

• Options
    ok someone explain this to me because i think i don't understand significant figures

i'm given that a race length is 2.6 furlongs (two significant figures)

it wants the that in rods and chains

it tells me that 1 furlong is 201.168m and it tells me that 1 rod is 5.0292m and it tells me that 1 chain is 20.117m

so to calculate rods i do 2.6 * 201.168 / 5.0292

the answer is exactly 104 rods, which is correct

then to get chains i do 2.6 * 201.168 / 20.117

the answer comes out to 25.9997blahblah

i thought significant figures were determined via the figure with the smallest number of significant figures? which is 2.6, with two significant figures

but it doesn't accept 25 chains (using truncation) or 26 chains (using rounding)

it accepts 26.9 chains (using truncation)

why am i using three significant figures

pls explain

This discussion has been closed.