Options

[Agents of Shield] Cyber crime just got a whole lot deadlier!

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just me but I kept feeling like Coulson might know more than he's letting on about what happened to him. Every time he refers to Tahiti I kept feeling like he had a bit of a "I don't really buy what I'm telling you" tone to his voice.

I might be reading in to it but I think he's not fully convinced of whatever he was told.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    That was... alright. The Wheedon-ness is a bit grating, to be honest. I loved Buffy and Angel, adored Firefly, but I'd like to see more range and not have everyone be all quippy quippy all the time.

When Coulson said, 'Never tell me there's no way' or something like that, that seemed like such a Wheedon-line that it dragged the disbelief right out of me. Plus Gunn and Book both in the same episode.

I was disappointed there wasn't an obvious enemy - just some vague 'there are some bad guys who have a scientist and a non-entity mook'.

It could be great, that first episode was OK. Have to wait and see if it will end up as great as it could be.

Also, everyone's extreme attractiveness was more grating than on usual US TV. Particularly the hacker lady and Fitz/Simmons. Dunno why.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just me but I kept feeling like Coulson might know more than he's letting on about what happened to him. Every time he refers to Tahiti I kept feeling like he had a bit of a "I don't really buy what I'm telling you" tone to his voice.

I might be reading in to it but I think he's not fully convinced of whatever he was told.

I'm wondering whether
    Coulson's little "mobile command unit" might actually be a ploy he's gonna use to run some unapproved ops, maybe find out what happened to him. His line about red tape made me think he's been thinking about red tape more than usual.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Yes, his insurance clearly did not cover getting stabbed by a Norse god. Sure, he's got the Ancient Myths package but that only gives coverage up to injuries inflicted by the wrath of the Roman pantheon. The Norse gods are part of the Medieval Myths package, but no one gets that because it doesn't cover injuries caused by D&D or Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice monsters since even though they're based on Medieval myth, they're part of the Modern Fantasies based on Medieval Myths package.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I was disappointed there wasn't an obvious enemy - just some vague 'there are some bad guys who have a scientist and a non-entity mook'.

You don't reveal the big bad in the pilot. You slowly work up to it.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Also, if you rewatch the scene in the pilot where he dodges the van's door, he doesn't seem entirely human anymore in the way he moves.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Further to the theory from my last post:
    Coulson's team seems to be perfectly constructed if he's planning to go slightly rogue.

The heavy hitter who obviously has no friends in the organization and thus has no potentially complicating loyalties.
    The pilot from the "red tape room" -- anyone who's ever worked in an office like that can tell you a dozen ways to get around said tape.
    The biologist and the tech wizard who can help him interpret whatever he finds out.
    And (here's the real kicker) the hacker who is from outside SHIELD, has no loyalty to anyone there apart from Coulson, and definitely couldn't have been involved in the cover-up.

Now, I'm not saying Coulson's definitely up to something. But if he was up to something, this is exactly what it would look like.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I think that out of the new shows on TV this season that I've seen so far, this show has some of the worst acting. Brett Dalton and Chloe Bennet are dragging the show down. If they don't improve, this show will only ride on the Marvell fandom for a short while before crashing.

EDIT: I think that the rest of the cats is good to excellent but those two seem to have a lot of screen time so their bad acting impacts the show considerably.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I think I'm the only one to mention NCIS and it was to describe the way SHIELD felt.

The only "hate" for it is that it feels formulaic and with low stakes since chances are nothing much will change long term. Which I doubt SHIELD will follow suit beyond the first month or so.

Fair enough. It is formulaic and low stakes, as one would expect from such a venerable program. Back in the day it was willing to shake things up a lot more. Shooting a principle character through the forehead and having ucky bits spray onto another principle as a season 2 cliff hanger finale is something even Whedon doesn't have the stones for.

No, that happened in Buffy.
    And considering it got us evil Willow, we should be glad he hasn't done it more often.
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I think that out of the new shows on TV this season that I've seen so far, this show has some of the worst acting. Brett Dalton and Chloe Bennet are dragging the show down. If they don't improve, this show will only ride on the Marvell fandom for a short while before crashing.

EDIT: I think that the rest of the cats is good to excellent but those two seem to have a lot of screen time so their bad acting impacts the show considerably.
    Yeah, they're definitely the weakest part so far which is really sad since they're also clearly the mains. And I'm already over the flirting between them.

So far the only character I'm really interested in is Ming-Na Wen's character. Apparently she's some big deal/infamous in SHIELD. Interested to see what that's about.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I think I'm the only one to mention NCIS and it was to describe the way SHIELD felt.

The only "hate" for it is that it feels formulaic and with low stakes since chances are nothing much will change long term. Which I doubt SHIELD will follow suit beyond the first month or so.

Fair enough. It is formulaic and low stakes, as one would expect from such a venerable program. Back in the day it was willing to shake things up a lot more. Shooting a principle character through the forehead and having ucky bits spray onto another principle as a season 2 cliff hanger finale is something even Whedon doesn't have the stones for.

No, that happened in Buffy.
    And considering it got us evil Willow, we should be glad he hasn't done it more often.
    Cabezone wrote: »

Yeah, they're definitely the weakest part so far which is really sad since they're also clearly the mains. And I'm already over the flirting between them.

So far the only character I'm really interested in is Ming-Na Wen's character. Apparently she's some big deal/infamous in SHIELD. Interested to see what that's about.

I coulda swore Melinda May was an established character somewhere, but nope...

Though the promo stuff did say she "has more black belts then Romanov".

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Also I don't know why but I thought the tech people were brother and sister.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Also I don't know why but I thought the tech people were brother and sister.

Because they had that sort of vibe. Which is great! I hope there's forever zero romantic interest between them.

• Options
    Speaking of tech dude... Anyone catch the names of the forensic drones?
    theyre named after the seven dwarves

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Speaking of tech dude... Anyone catch the names of the forensic drones?
    theyre named after the seven dwarves

yeah, I noticed that almost immediately. When he released them, he sang
    heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to work you go

it's a really nice touch

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're going to pull an Avengers Academy type deal where it's revealed that all those people were recruited not just because they're good at what they do but also because they have the potential to turn into super villains so SHIELD wants to keep an eye on them.

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Also, if you rewatch the scene in the pilot where he dodges the van's door, he doesn't seem entirely human anymore in the way he moves.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

I thought it was a fine pilot. There's only so much you can put into a single episode. I'm on board for the next few without question, and unless it become objectively bad I can't see myself stopping watching because - and I freely admit this - I will basically watch anything with Whedon's name even tangentially on it.
    Tomanta wrote: »

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is The Legend of Korra, but they knew they were going to be short on time. I'm sure this isn't going to be solely monster-of-the-week. Given how much they're throwing around references to the Cinematic Universe already, I don't think they're going to be afraid to reward knowledge of the show with an ongoing antagonist. Has any Whedon series not featured a big bad? I guess Dollhouse was kind of confusing on that front, actually.

area on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Also, everyone's extreme attractiveness was more grating than on usual US TV. Particularly the hacker lady and Fitz/Simmons. Dunno why.

Yes, a million times this.

• Options
    area wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

I thought it was a fine pilot. There's only so much you can put into a single episode. I'm on board for the next few without question, and unless it become objectively bad I can't see myself stopping watching because - and I freely admit this - I will basically watch anything with Whedon's name even tangentially on it.
    Tomanta wrote: »

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is The Legend of Korra, but they knew they were going to be short on time. I'm sure this isn't going to be solely monster-of-the-week. Given how much they're throwing around references to the Cinematic Universe already, I don't think they're going to be afraid to reward knowledge of the show with an ongoing antagonist. Has any Whedon series not featured a big bad? I guess Dollhouse was kind of confusing on that front, actually.

Firefly? Had more of an Entity (The Alliance) then a singular big bad, and even then the reoccurring villains only really showed up a couple episodes each.

But that's probably due to the whole series's length though.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    terminator: sarah connor chronicles killed off a major member of the principle cast in probably the ballsiest fashion I have ever seen on a network program

Given the setting though, I think it was understood that things weren't going to be roses and sunshine. Post-apocalyptia being what it is.

it was a pretty big sucker punch, lemme tell ya

in general that show was full of huge swerves, in a good way

i really liked TSCC and i think i was the only person who did

judging by the ratings

do you mean the part where (big sarah connor chron spoilers! HUGE!)
    BAG is fine one second and the next second he has a bullet in his head and im in going into a shock induced coma?

because, yeah that was a sucker punch alright.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hahahah fail to promote it. You couldn't go six seconds on ESPN without an ad for this all month.

What a peculiar choice for advertising a tv show based off a movie based off a comic book.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I finally watched it last night.

I thought it was a pretty good Pilot episode. It had some rough spots, but most pilots do. I have faith that it'll find it's footing.

The tech/biology nerds were fantastic, Coulson is awesome as always, and I liked the hero/villain of the episode. I liked that they found a way to solve the issue without killing him.

Mays seems cool, I look forward to actually getting to know her some.

I didn't even mind the cliché tough loner or the slightly overacting hacker chick.

The show has loads of promise.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Hahahah fail to promote it. You couldn't go six seconds on ESPN without an ad for this all month.

What a peculiar choice for advertising a tv show based off a movie based off a comic book.

Not so peculiar when you consider that Disney owns all of them.

The pilot was a little slow starting out. More than anything, this reminds me of Alphas with the serial numbers etched back in. Definitely not liking Agent Not-Michael-Westen so far, but I could just be missing Burn Notice.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing we're not going to get a lot of really entertaining backstory out of May.

My thoughts are pretty simple. She was basically Gen1 Black Widow, got older, couldn't keep up with the modern tech and (most likely) implants/serums new agents were being given (because let's face it, Black Widow has more going on than those thighs considering the damage she took in the NY fight) and probably got her ass handed to her at some point over a stupid order so the gave her a desk job and put her out to pasture.

Coulson likes older things. Coulson likes May. Molson is the new fanfic.

Keep watching. I'll be right.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

The pilot was a little slow starting out. More than anything, this reminds me of Alphas with the serial numbers etched back in. Definitely not liking Agent Not-Michael-Westen so far, but I could just be missing Burn Notice.

Coulson is nothing like Westen. In any way. I mean, they're both resourceful, and they both worked for the government (Coulson never left), but that's pretty much it.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Coulson is nothing like Westen. In any way. I mean, they're both resourceful, and they both worked for the government (Coulson never left), but that's pretty much it.

He's not talking about Coulson, he's talking about Suity McKickass of Bourne, the out of his element superbadass who apparently prefers diffusing his nukes alone instead of being a team player and really, really likes Skye's rack.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    The truth serum scene was hilarious.

"Grams?" lol

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

He's not talking about Coulson, he's talking about Suity McKickass of Bourne, the out of his element superbadass who apparently prefers defusing his nukes alone instead of being a team player and really, really likes Skye's rack.

Well, to be fair, who doesn't?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

He's not talking about Coulson, he's talking about Suity McKickass of Bourne, the out of his element superbadass who apparently prefers diffusing his nukes alone instead of being a team player and really, really likes Skye's rack.

Yes, Agent Ward not Coulson. Coulson is as awesome as ever

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The best part about Skye's rack is how/when she busted it out. Shows a bit about her character. She def has a bit of a faith vibe to her. But her immediatly drawing focus to that after the serum was a nice touch.

Ok not the best part, but another good part!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    This was fun. Laughed out loud several times, best line was when Hill asked what's his face what S.H.I.E.L.D. means.

I did think it was rather cheap that somehow no one died from Extremis-man's savage superpowered beatings. I mean, if you don't want the character murdering people at 8 oclock, I get it, but then don't show him throwing a man across a room by the head and then smashing him with a giant metal object.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    This was fun. Laughed out loud several times, best line was when Hill asked what's his face what S.H.I.E.L.D. means.

I did think it was rather cheap that somehow no one died from Extremis-man's savage superpowered beatings. I mean, if you don't want the character murdering people at 8 oclock, I get it, but then don't show him throwing a man across a room by the head and then smashing him with a giant metal object.

In the Marvel Universe, everyone, civilians included, are more resistant to damage than in our universe.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular

I know this is meant as a throwaway quip and all, but after thinking about it.... SHEILD was called something else in the 40s, and two of their higher-ups, agent Carter and Tony's dad, were huge fans of Cap.... Maybe it's true.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

that guy didn't die?

how do you take a superstrength-swung metal post in the face and not die?

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    Speaking of bad guys, does anyone think this series could go to the places Firefly did with Nishka? I would really like seeing something like that in a comic inspired set of stories, but I'm guessing their take on Hydra (or whatever) will be more lighthearted, a la Loki.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

that guy didn't die?

how do you take a superstrength-swung metal post in the face and not die?

They never explained if he killed anyone. I assumed he did. He had to have killed his old boss, and some of those thuggish types that attacked him had to have died from being thrown that far.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Because of when it airs, every bad thing that will happen to Ming Na will just be a Tuesday to the rest of us.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Spoilers, guys.
    The TV said that his supervisor was in critical condition. As far as we know, Gunn hasn't killed anyone yet. We don't know, he might have held back some on the fatal-looking strikes, because that's what a superhero would do.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot to answer for.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I liked the show, but the 61 minute airtime is doing bad things for my dvr schedule.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Because of when it airs, every bad thing that will happen to Ming Na will just be a Tuesday to the rest of us.

hCB6D29C6

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

"Coulson, I don't know how to tell you this... but you're a robot."

"I haven't needed to eat in three months, and this morning I bench-pressed Lola. Of course I'm a robot.

But I still had sex with that woman in Tahiti."

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.