As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    the rest of sunken temple isn't missing, it's just not an instance anymore. It still exists in the game world, and there's a few quests that go through it I think.

No, Sunken Temple always had an in-world portion that wasn't an instance. The instance gate used to be at the bottom where the quest line takes you to, but in Cataclysm they moved it to the first room you enter. Also they took out a room that was to the new entrance's left. Why? Beats me, it was just a room.

I haven't seen the interior of the Sunken Temple instance. No idea how it has changed if at all.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    I would main swap so hard if they swapped blood and frost for tanking specs, it'd never happen though

You.....you know that Frost was originally the Tank spec and Blood was the DPS spec in Wrath, right? They made the change when Cata dropped.

Blood AND Frost were Tank specs in Wrath. Frost was the more popular one, granted, but Blood was not only a viable tank spec, but a pretty damn good one too. I saw some Frost DPS DKs in Wrath, too, albeit they were pretty rare.

I was one of those DKs that adamantly tanked in Blood as opposed to Frost, simply cause everyone was Frost tanking. /hipster

I seem to remember unholy DKs being good tanks too, once they got enough avoidance to have permanent Bone Shield. As in, they got hit like 5 times in a minute?

I used to DW tank as frost. Parry haste was a thing, but a lot of expertise did help.. and back then it kind of bothered me there were no 2h tank weapons so I got to use two 1h tanking weapons instead.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    I would main swap so hard if they swapped blood and frost for tanking specs, it'd never happen though

You.....you know that Frost was originally the Tank spec and Blood was the DPS spec in Wrath, right? They made the change when Cata dropped.

I'm fully aware of it since I used to tank as frost in wrath on my dk. I don't think the blood dk tanking model is as fun as frost was.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    There was no official 'tank spec' for DKs in WotLK like Protection was for Warriors. You could basically tank as any of the specs. It was kind of weird!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So I'm gonna try pugging normal(heroic) raids in WoD but I'm really pessimistic. Flex wing 4 is hard enough let alone normal difficulty.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Played from March 2005 to August 2011. Raiding seriously the entire time. Haven't played since I quit yet lately I am tempted to play again casually.

Is this a good idea?

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Hah. So tonight we tried 2-tanking H-Thok for the first time. First pull we get to 18%, whereas before we would wipe at Bats. Loool. Fire phase is kicking our butts currently, things just fall apart so fast.
    Dac wrote: »
    There was no official 'tank spec' for DKs in WotLK like Protection was for Warriors. You could basically tank as any of the specs. It was kind of weird!
    You never saw any Unholy Tanks past Naxx/Uld, though. They kind of dropped off at that point.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    Played from March 2005 to August 2011. Raiding seriously the entire time. Haven't played since I quit yet lately I am tempted to play again casually.

Is this a good idea?

Depends on what you want to do now

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Brainleech wrote: »

Is this a good idea?

This is an excellent question lol.

More than likely it would be super causal due to job, wife, kid, etc.

But you never know what the future holds!

Jungleskye on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Henroid wrote: »
    I haven't seen the interior of the Sunken Temple instance. No idea how it has changed if at all.

It has changed so much.

It used to be a confusing, twisting nightmare of stairs and corridors that all looked the same spread over three or four levels with optional bosses and bosses that had to be killed before you could kill other bosses and just all kinds of crap. Now it's all on one level and just has three or four bosses. It is seriously less than a quarter the size it was in vanilla wow.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    tarnok wrote: »

It has changed so much.

It used to be a confusing, twisting nightmare of stairs and corridors that all looked the same spread over three or four levels with optional bosses and bosses that had to be killed before you could kill other bosses and just all kinds of crap. Now it's all on one level and just has three or four bosses. It is seriously less than a quarter the size it was in vanilla wow.

Nah, it was pretty much the current ST with stairs up, and upstairs was just a square around the place with more stairs at each corner that led to balconies. Pretty much. iirc. Each balcony had a boss, all had to be defeated. And the skeleton serpent boss could only be summoned with a quest, which was meh.

I enjoyed the place. It was initially confusing but hey, so was BRD. And BRD was awesome :)

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Hah. So tonight we tried 2-tanking H-Thok for the first time. First pull we get to 18%, whereas before we would wipe at Bats. Loool. Fire phase is kicking our butts currently, things just fall apart so fast.

WHOO we killed him on the very last pull of the night. He was in the 4th transition phase (so we couldn't open another cell), he was running around munching people, but finally he dropped. Crazy fuckin' fight.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Keemossi wrote: »

It has changed so much.

Nah, it was pretty much the current ST with stairs up, and upstairs was just a square around the place with more stairs at each corner that led to balconies. Pretty much. iirc. Each balcony had a boss, all had to be defeated. And the skeleton serpent boss could only be summoned with a quest, which was meh.

I enjoyed the place. It was initially confusing but hey, so was BRD. And BRD was awesome :)

You missed the basement where there was yet more trash and another boss that could be summoned somehow, I can't quite remember. The major obstacle though was the three or four landings worth of what, four stairwells? Or was it just two. Somehow between the identical stairs and the identical walls and the hordes of trash people would get lost in there and never be able to find each other again.

No, for me at least the current ST is virtually unrecognizable as the instance I remember from vanilla. It went from a sprawling confusing time-sink to a completely straightforward loot-pinata.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited February 2014

It has changed so much.

You missed the basement where there was yet more trash and another boss that could be summoned somehow, I can't quite remember. The major obstacle though was the three or four landings worth of what, four stairwells? Or was it just two. Somehow between the identical stairs and the identical walls and the hordes of trash people would get lost in there and never be able to find each other again.

No, for me at least the current ST is virtually unrecognizable as the instance I remember from vanilla. It went from a sprawling confusing time-sink to a completely straightforward loot-pinata.

Oh yeah, the basement. I think you had to use the statues on the balconies in certain order. Anyway, back then I enjoyed the place. I used to like long and fancy dungeons, being lost and chatting with people. Things were wondrous and new, I even thought I could play my druid as.. feral. In vanilla.

I wonder if it would be nice to have the looong vanilla dungeons back as an alternative to normal LFD. Like, require a premade group of say 3-5, make it actually somewhat difficult, add quests and such. You'd equivalent xp gain (or probably more, since you do need a group and stuff), but it wouldn't be so horribly dull. Or something for max level.. I mean my character slots are full. I mean.. I sort of miss big dungeons :P

Keemossi on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Playing a druid as feral dps while levelling after 1.8 was totally valid. Hell you'd probably get into a group easier than a resto druid cause they didn't have a rez without a cooldown and no one wanted them as their healer.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Baron finally dropped the fucking left binding. so many kills. I can finally not have to go back in MC anymore. At least once I got the eye off Rag, going and trying to get the binding was a 2 minute thing.

Still, happy to have it done. Unless this is an ambien fever dream.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    So sad you cant transmog legendary weapons :(

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    ST back in the day basically had two wings: the wing that became the current instance, where you kill hakkar's spirit to acquire the egg and fight eranikus, and a wing below that where there were a pile of zombie trolls. That wing was basically a circular room with a corridor around it, and there was a little statue clicking puzzle you had to do to unlock the last boss (which was like, some kind of swamp beast guy?

I think that second wing is still something you can check out by walking down to where the old instance portal was, but I'm not positive it's all there still.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm still hanging onto hope that someday, maybe.

Is Black Temple and/or SWP soloable by any chance (by rogue for BT, Hunter for SWP)? I think they're the next legendaries I'll aim for. Then I'll get around to WotLK ones eventually. I just need the shards for shadowmourne really, but haven't bothered going for any. I might start the whole thing over on my DK instead of my paladin because it seems a better fit, and because it's probably easier to solo more, but dunno.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I've been trying to find a good money maker in the game. It kinda depends on server economies and all, but I wanted to at least figure mine out.

You'd figure Inscription would be the shit, given that a lot of glyphs are hundreds of gold on the AH. Nope. Even if you undercut by 50g, the fact is people know to watch for the people who post glyphs - ANY glyphs - up for just a 20g buyout. So glyphs like never sell, ever. I see two people on the server trying to do the "control the market" thing by buying cheap glyphs and repricing them for hundreds and all it does is make the list long forever.

I thought gathering skills would provide some payout, but my server lacks consistency on prices. It's not necessarily by material type, it's by expansion. Some days the expensive herbs are from TBC. Then the next it'll be Cataclysm herbs. I've gathered tons of MoP materials that had huge amounts of sellers for a lot of money each, posted my own for the same or a little cheaper, and come back the next day to seeing those same materials being sold by 1g a piece. By like everyone. And me and a couple shmucks are the ones who've left postings up overnight for like 7g a piece.

The other day I was looking up where some BoE epic weapons come from that I see on the AH all the time. I see that one of them is from lockboxes that rogues can pickpocket from MoP enemies. Huh. Pickpocketing. I hadn't considered that. How lucrative could it be? Plus if I got that weapon I could sell it for like 15k easily.

The last few days I've been running the same route in the game for pick pocketing. One hour, and the route takes long enough to go around to guarantee the 10 minutes for pockets to refill. Pretty consistently, for one hour of play without fighting any mobs, I'm coming away with just over 1k gold. I'm pleased. I did it twice today just because. On my second run I tried to track how much I got from each source involved.

244 gold just from directly picking the pockets. 158 gold from selling the trash loot that comes from that sometimes. And from 52 lock boxes I got 683 gold. These mobs don't have the highest % for the lock boxes to be found but their population density ups the overall chance.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I've been making all my gold by selling enchants. It's been working pretty well. I make all my mats through my four farms, and I buy in bulk when spirit dust or ethereal shards are posted on the ah at 60% market price or lower.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    As far as Auction house goes it is normal to expect a bit of a slump at this time. Once new expansion rolls out the market will explode with demand for new materials and if you have a few gatherers you can make a mint in first couple of days. Also, keep those glyphs for when people start getting instant 90-lvl characters.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I'm still hanging onto hope that someday, maybe.

Is Black Temple and/or SWP soloable by any chance (by rogue for BT, Hunter for SWP)? I think they're the next legendaries I'll aim for. Then I'll get around to WotLK ones eventually. I just need the shards for shadowmourne really, but haven't bothered going for any. I might start the whole thing over on my DK instead of my paladin because it seems a better fit, and because it's probably easier to solo more, but dunno.

2 Patches ago, I couldn't quite kill Illidian as an Elemental Shaman in the honor gear available at the time. I've not attempted to solo it since, but I can't think of any mechanic in there that might cause you problems and stop you from solo'ing the place. Maybe the Council?
    As far as Auction house goes it is normal to expect a bit of a slump at this time. Once new expansion rolls out the market will explode with demand for new materials and if you have a few gatherers you can make a mint in first couple of days. Also, keep those glyphs for when people start getting instant 90-lvl characters.

We've got a new season starting in just under 2 weeks, so there will probably be a big spike in demand for enchants / gems / etc...

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Fairly certain you basically have to go combat for the council. Otherwise... it should all be good.

• Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    This is absolutely important to know, thanks! Was going to attempt to get the Hand of Ragnaros and Thunderfury and transmog them.

Also, ran Strat and Scholo recently as I'm flying up the levels. Scholo went from a minimum hour long instance into a streamlined 20 minute run. The one side of Strat actually seemed pretty similar with only a few noticeable changes. I was definitely confused by Deadmines the first time I went back in there without Mr. Yelling-Man. I skipped Thousand Needles cause i was confused and went right into Gadgetzan and said "finally a place I remember!". I'm hoping Ungoro Crater is more of the same.

I also feel like one could potentially level the entire way through instancing. Between the quests/rewards/etc...i find myself way overleveled/overgeared as I progress through the game.

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    It's also worth noting you can't use a lot of the "fun" items for transmog. Christmas clothes, the off-hand fish, flowers, that sort of thing.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can use the fans though. (I really wish I could dual wield a fan and an umbrella. That and a dress would be a great fit for my undead male warlock.)

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Playing a druid as feral dps while levelling after 1.8 was totally valid. Hell you'd probably get into a group easier than a resto druid cause they didn't have a rez without a cooldown and no one wanted them as their healer.

Yeah, I did level as feral (though no idea on what version tbh). At 60 I enjoyed tanking dungeons on my druid, too. And so, when I heard of raids I thought I could raid too. Oh well.

Entering TBC on my druid was so awesome. Feral specific weapons!

@Henroid
    At least on my server enchanting, jewelcrafting, inscription and leatherworking all give ok profits. The thing is, you probably can't start really making gold on them unless you invest quite a bit initially. You need at least some copies of every well selling craft of a profession to get started, and also a good addon. You don't make any noticeable gold by posting a few things, even if you do undercut by a lot, since a lot of people use addons to post/undercut lots of crap fast.

Basically unless you're lucky you just want to try to sell a lot of stuff w/ enchanting/jc/inscription for smallish profits per item. Sometimes you get five times the crafting cost, sometimes like 10g / item, if you sell a lot it evens out to a nice profit. It isn't worth doing in small quantities. Also 50g undercuts.. it doesn't help a bit unless you go below mat prices, and ruins the market (it's annoying when people do that). You get undercut anyway if it would've been a profit, while the item's price drops a lot. I undercut by 1-2c :P

Unless you're willing to invest at least 10k to start with and can spend time camping AH I don't recommend selling crafts (except those with daily cds). It's better to search AH for things like super cheap transmog stuff, 450 twink items, certain crafting mats and such, buy low and sell high. Doesn't require nearly any initial investment, can be quite profitable.

I just prefer camping AH to farming, since I get more time to do other stuff meanwhile. Doesn't require much attention :)

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Expigator wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »
    This is absolutely important to know, thanks! Was going to attempt to get the Hand of Ragnaros and Thunderfury and transmog them.

Also, ran Strat and Scholo recently as I'm flying up the levels. Scholo went from a minimum hour long instance into a streamlined 20 minute run. The one side of Strat actually seemed pretty similar with only a few noticeable changes. I was definitely confused by Deadmines the first time I went back in there without Mr. Yelling-Man. I skipped Thousand Needles cause i was confused and went right into Gadgetzan and said "finally a place I remember!". I'm hoping Ungoro Crater is more of the same.

I also feel like one could potentially level the entire way through instancing. Between the quests/rewards/etc...i find myself way overleveled/overgeared as I progress through the game.

Un'Goro Crater is wonderful. The main hub has changed position, as well as another minor FP is added, and there's also an explanation on why Un'goro is the way it is.

Also, Maximilian. That quest chain is wonderful.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Running the retro raids for pets each week is a decent way to get some gold for very little time investment. Serpent shrine, the eye, aq, and kara are all pretty quick runs. The only tough fight is vashj, but the trinket from rattleskew on timeless makes it a breeze. Then you can flip them on different servers for the really rare ones to sell for $texas on your own server.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

Yeah, I did level as feral (though no idea on what version tbh). At 60 I enjoyed tanking dungeons on my druid, too. And so, when I heard of raids I thought I could raid too. Oh well.

Entering TBC on my druid was so awesome. Feral specific weapons!

@Henroid
    At least on my server enchanting, jewelcrafting, inscription and leatherworking all give ok profits. The thing is, you probably can't start really making gold on them unless you invest quite a bit initially. You need at least some copies of every well selling craft of a profession to get started, and also a good addon. You don't make any noticeable gold by posting a few things, even if you do undercut by a lot, since a lot of people use addons to post/undercut lots of crap fast.

Basically unless you're lucky you just want to try to sell a lot of stuff w/ enchanting/jc/inscription for smallish profits per item. Sometimes you get five times the crafting cost, sometimes like 10g / item, if you sell a lot it evens out to a nice profit. It isn't worth doing in small quantities. Also 50g undercuts.. it doesn't help a bit unless you go below mat prices, and ruins the market (it's annoying when people do that). You get undercut anyway if it would've been a profit, while the item's price drops a lot. I undercut by 1-2c :P

Unless you're willing to invest at least 10k to start with and can spend time camping AH I don't recommend selling crafts (except those with daily cds). It's better to search AH for things like super cheap transmog stuff, 450 twink items, certain crafting mats and such, buy low and sell high. Doesn't require nearly any initial investment, can be quite profitable.

I just prefer camping AH to farming, since I get more time to do other stuff meanwhile. Doesn't require much attention :)

Speaking as a Horde player who had time on their hands and went and did all of the new Vanilla zones, the only duff zones are Hinterlands and Arathi.

I think you've missed out with regards to skipping 1000 needles, if only for the reason that you get an item that gives you a boat to ride around the zone with. I do recommend you go to the Western Plaguelands if only to cross paths with a certain troll druid.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I think the best zones in Cataclysm were definitely Silverpine, Hillsbrad and both Plaguelands. Silverpine was just <3.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I think the best zones in Cataclysm were definitely Silverpine, Hillsbrad and both Plaguelands. Silverpine was just <3.

Yeah the Forsaken zones were really well done.

Southern Barrens and thousand needles were also memorable horde side (never did them on alliance).

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Shame they screwed over the Worgen so bad when it came to Silverpine.

"Want to see the conclusion to your storyline? Roll Horde."

• Options
    Plaguelands needed a lot of help. I'll be excited to venture back in there.

• Options
    Can I add that the Panda starting area is weak? I'm not done with it yet but I'm on the last string of quests...it feels so much like the original human start zone. Kill this, collect this. The Worgen line was pretty damn awesome!

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Ugh, I know this is neither new nor unique but the frustration is up to the level I have to complain about it again. I've very excited but skeptical about WOD looting system, so long as they increase chances to get an item in addition to lessening the number of 'must-have' items by making loot more universal.

I mean, it shouldn't be a thing where you can expect to get your legendary cloak on one or more characters BEFORE you get a single piece of loot you've been coining SINCE IT BECAME A THING. Grrrr...

Sorry, it's just...well. You all know. Been running my paladin on Celestials every week since Timeless isle opened up. Every week, no misses. Rolled a coin every time. I've gotten the tier gloves (first thing!), a pvp necklace, pvp pants (iirc), two more tier gloves...and all the rest gold. I WANT MY PANTS!!!!!!!!

Again, sorry. just a little raging is all.

Also, I have to add to the current/previous discussion. I liked that Cata heroics were punishing, but the reward/time-invested was crap and that was a heroic rage-quit they eventually eased me into. I learned how to play my mage as never before, but for quite a long time I hated this game because of them. Oh, how I love/loathe them.

And plaguelands really do have the best low-level quests now. I'd put 1000 needles up there too but its a shame that boat is only usable in that zone. I love that thing.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    And by one or more characters, I mean both my paladin and my hunter have since completed their legendary cloaks (hunter just this past Sunday! wohoo!!!).

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Shame they screwed over the Worgen so bad when it came to Silverpine.

"Want to see the conclusion to your storyline? Roll Horde."

I see that and raise you the whole damn conclusion to Wrath. "Who the fark is Bolvar?" Want to know? You should have played Alliance during Vanilla.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Is this a good idea?

Expigator wrote: »
    Can I add that the Panda starting area is weak? I'm not done with it yet but I'm on the last string of quests...it feels so much like the original human start zone. Kill this, collect this. The Worgen line was pretty damn awesome!

Now I have only played a Panda rogue and well I love the fact you can stealth back all the trash do what you need to do and stealth out

I played a panda mage just to see what the horde opener for them was like and yeah garrosh is a douche here

I still think the draenei is the worst one out there

This discussion has been closed.