As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'll report back on the Atlas stuff; I think I'm about halfway through learning the full Atlas language, but I'm busy with other games at the moment.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I started by refusing the atlas path and have not selected to rejoin and won't, whenever I do finish I'll let you know if it's any different but motivation is decreasing and I know there is nothing satisfying waiting for me.

The background story of the aliens learned by monoliths has been the only interesting thing but I'm sure I could just Google a data mined compilation since in the end it's just some bad sci fi world building

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to muster up the interest to play, because I've been a bit distracted. Now that the game's less crash-prone on PS4, I'll hop in and just enjoy passing some time in that universe and let the trophies unlock organically. Looking forward to that.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Ebola ColaEbola Cola Registered User regular
    You do keep languages after the center. Ruins/plaques might reset to the beginning of their stories, but to be honest I was already getting repeats at that point, so I wasn't reading them closely. From what I remember, what each Atlas interface says is pretty meh, given that you need to learn all of Gek/Vy'keen/Korvax and then hunt monoliths to learn it. In the mined text, there appear to be two versions of the Atlas Interface texts (spoilers, and then more spoilers):
    One is what you do ultimately get, which is just basically plotless: "obedience brings certainty," "we will see with your eyes," that sort of thing. Not very illuminating. The other set of text has Atlas telling you that it is as trapped in the simulation as you are. That plot actually seems to resolve (spoilers for maybe-not-in-the-game stuff):
    Some, possibly the original Atlas text, is a lot more to the point: "The universe followed the patterns of our thought. Power flowed through us. The constructs set within our minds directed the creation of all that you see and experience," which seems to be part of an Atlas conversation. Compare interface 4: "There is a horizon beyond this one, and one beyond the next. You will cross them all for us. Question nothing, fear nothing. The calling cannot be denied. This is what you are." It gets to the same idea (you're still going out and getting information for Atlas), but it no longer tells you why ("You know what we cannot. You explore a cosmos we know must exist, yet cannot see.") There's also a string that reads "unite with the atlas," followed by "I am empty. I am complete." Would've been a lot funnier if God is an Astronaut had done the music.

I'm admittedly doing a lot of guesswork here, because the text dump doesn't exactly point to where each bit of text goes, and the only clue that anything has specifically been removed are a few lines that say "this option is to be removed." That said, there's a long chunk of what looks like Atlas explaining itself, the sentinels, etc. as above (in pretty short sequences), and then it abruptly ends at the Traveler's thoughts at each interface. I don't know if the Traveler's thoughts were always there, or were added as part of a re-write, but instead of creating a new star (or walking away) at interface 11, this seems to be what happens at the 10th interface:

(This text is - I think - still found at the 10th interface):The final Interface is revealed, the Atlas beckoning. This is totality, this is conformity. I am elated, terrified and broken. Every waypoint has inexorably drawn me here, and I have come so very far. The revelation tears me asunder. My role is complete. My program ended.

Nothing is real. This existence is an imitation of life, a model made by jaded intellects, enslaved to their actuality as I am enslaved to mine. What lies beyond that truth?

(nb. but then different text): The cycle is complete. Infinity awaits.

One day, deep in the distant Beyond, the Atlas might finally find freedom.

(nb. and then Atlas, I guess?): We thank you, Traveller.

It's hard to tell exactly what has been replaced vs. what is in the game and I didn't see or don't remember, but the text for the Atlas introduction/spurning and the 11th interface (all of which I do remember) and the final text to give the stones to Atlas are all appended to the bottom of the mined data, suggesting that was all put in last. The fact that the in-game text at interface 10 still says "the final interface" sort of suggests that I wasn't just drinking too much coffee and spaced out on post-rock, but eh...

So yeah, it's possible that I was just so numbed at that point in the warp-atlas-warp-atlas grind that I wasn't really reading everything that Atlas definitely says in the game, so maybe all of this happens and I just don't remember. In that case, it would just be disappointing writing (in my opinion) to have an apparent "end" and then a one more thing... that detracts from the previous encounter.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Really wish they would actually tell us what they fix in these PS4 patches. "Bug fixes" tells me nothing.

I learned in high school computer science to document everything I do, and put comments after as many lines of code as possible because there will come a day I need to go back and know what I changed and when, and if it's not there for me to read it'll take 10x as much time just learning why I did what I did and when I did it before I can even start to work on the problem.

But really I just want to know what is changing in my damn game.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    I just spoilered myself on the center. Haha, wow. Glad I quit playing after seven hours, sad I spent five hours too many to not get a refund. 60 dollar lesson learned. I'll go back to my go-to survival explorer with actual atmosphere and gameplay (and incredibly transparent developer) - The Long Dark.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Galaxy center "spoilers":
    That "reveal" gets a thousand times worse when you listen to a conversation where they were talking about the center. And somebody joked about how funny and realistic it would be if it just cut to black like the end of The Sopranos, and the devs responded with "We've said there's something amazing there, but yeah, that would be funny.".

It's so uncomfortable to listen to now after the fact.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Good thing that's not the ending.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    @joshofalltrades my guess is that it's the release of the experimental branch that was available on Steam recently, but I haven't been following the updates very closely.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Well, really, there is no ending. Isn't that kind of the point? I thought that was the point.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Well, really, there is no ending. Isn't that kind of the point? I thought that was the point.

the point is endings are expensive to make

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    kaliyama wrote: »

I would disagree with this, seeing as the one thing Sean Murray has been most consistent on is that he wants his game to be about exploration and discovery. Given that
    The entire atlas storyline is a direct middle finger to wanting to be guided around the universe

I would say it's kind of needlessly personal to think they didn't put in a "traditional ending" just because they were being cheap.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

I would disagree with this, seeing as the one thing Sean Murray has been most consistent on is that he wants his game to be about exploration and discovery. Given that
    The entire atlas storyline is a direct middle finger to wanting to be guided around the universe

I would say it's kind of needlessly personal to think they didn't put in a "traditional ending" just because they were being cheap.

Perhaps they weren't being cheap, but when you put in a stated goal of <x> in your game, and the reward for that is, well, this, I take it pretty personally. I don't care for being trolled, especially when I paid for that privilege.

• Options
    So, a question: if I leave a system, does that make the map markers go away too? Got a glitched crashed ship marker I can't reach, but I don't really want to jump out and onward if there's (A) a fix for that or (B) going to just be a downed ship marker for the rest of the game.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So, a question: if I leave a system, does that make the map markers go away too? Got a glitched crashed ship marker I can't reach, but I don't really want to jump out and onward if there's (A) a fix for that or (B) going to just be a downed ship marker for the rest of the game.

Yes.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Yes.

Yay! Fuck this system, I'm outta here.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »

Perhaps they weren't being cheap, but when you put in a stated goal of <x> in your game, and the reward for that is, well, this, I take it pretty personally. I don't care for being trolled, especially when I paid for that privilege.

Heh, and here we have half of the thread saying they had no idea this was the stated goal. Such an interesting game and case study into the hype machine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Oh man I accidentally caused myself to have the most fun I've had yet with this game. Found a crashed ship yesterday, looked pretty easy to repair so took it but then had to quit the game for the night.

Today I log on and realize my old ship seems to have despawned, well whatever, I'll just repair what's needed on the new ship. Get the launch thrusters repaired, won't take off as the pulse thrusters need repairing. They need 20 zinc, easy right? Wrong, this planet seems to be devoid of zinc and I have nothing to dismantle to get some.

So I spend the next couple of real time hours frantically running from ? to ? Scanning the whole time, not a zinc to be found, nothing but carbon, iron and plutonium. Finally when I'm on the verge of just giving up for the night I finally come across a trade outpost or whatever the things with the landing pad are called, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I buy some zinc, and call my ship. Thought I was going to be stranded on that damn rock forever but felt suddenly very survival and was quite fun.

Seems the game took pity on me as the next warp the first planet I land on seems to have a bunch of Gravitino balls.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Passing thought: the last time we trusted something calling itself Atlas didn't turn out so well either, back in BioShock.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Y'know, I've been thinking of Atlas only in terms of... an atlas, like maps.

But the mythological character also seems rather appropriate (and consistent with other flavor stuffs).

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Okay, so I am trying to get to a beacon on a planet and I am flying towards it. The timer is counting down until I reach it (let's say 2:00 minutes). And then all of a sudden the time to get there starts increasing. I absolutely did not fly over it. What gives? This has happened with several other "points of interest" on a planet.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Okay, so I am trying to get to a beacon on a planet and I am flying towards it. The timer is counting down until I reach it (let's say 2:00 minutes). And then all of a sudden the time to get there starts increasing. I absolutely did not fly over it. What gives? This has happened with several other "points of interest" on a planet.

Go up, leave the atmosphere, pulse over (it's on the other side of the globe, past the horizon), then come back down at it once you can see it from space.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    other side oft he planet maybe? Try exiting the atmosphere.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I do continue to be amazed at what they've done with procedural generation, though. I've had some repeating trees, but I've not been on a planet yet that makes me feel like I've seen it before. At the very least, there's still some drive to see what the next planet will look like. At this point, I feel like one of two things(or maybe both) will happen. Hello Games will push through the negativity and add more and more content to the game, and I'll keep coming back to it. Or another developer will take the idea, learn from NMS' mistakes and put out something a little better from the start and I'll play that.

The main problem with this line of thinking is that Starbound, Elite: Dangerous and Subnautica all already exist, and all of them do the various things NMS does better than NMS. Does NMS actually add anything new for other devs to take inspiration from? I think it's a lot more likely that it's completely forgotten, and one of those other three provides the basis for the any sort of progression towards that ideal.

Ultimately, NMS has turned out to be nothing more than a graphically updated version of Noctis with resource collection strapped on, so even the core idea isn't something another developer would really bother taking from them.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So birds are way easier to scan in air now.
    You don't need to shoot them.

They should still be shot though.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »
    I just spoilered myself on the center. Haha, wow. Glad I quit playing after seven hours, sad I spent five hours too many to not get a refund. 60 dollar lesson learned. I'll go back to my go-to survival explorer with actual atmosphere and gameplay (and incredibly transparent developer) - The Long Dark.

I have heard Steam has recently been refunding people well over the 2hr time limit the last few days. I think they might just be refunding anyone that asks now. If you purchased on Steam, it is worth a shot to submit a ticket.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Steam's already come out and said they aren't making exceptions to their refund policy for NMS. I guess a bunch got through, but they're monitoring it now. I mean, you can still try if you played more than the allowed time limit, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

It's like the buffalo in Oregon Trail.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I've enjoyed my time with this game. This is probably because I tempered my expectations heavily and actively avoid hype.

• Options
    I've enjoyed my time with this game. This is probably because I tempered my expectations heavily and actively avoid hype.

See, this kind of statement is basically victim blaming. It once again shifts all the responsibility to the consumers, and removes it from the potentially criminal marketing campaign for this game.

I'm glad you like it. I'm glad you got what you expected from it. Your experience does not change the facts. I will wear whatever hypeskirt I want.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    No, that kind of statement is him describing his experience.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

See, this kind of statement is basically victim blaming. It once again shifts all the responsibility to the consumers, and removes it from the potentially criminal marketing campaign for this game.

I'm glad you like it. I'm glad you got what you expected from it. Your experience does not change the facts. I will wear whatever hypeskirt I want.

His statement is really no different than the constant shitting on the game that is happening in here. One insinuates that the people who like the game must have something wrong with them, the other insinuates that people who don't like it must have something wrong with them.

Both sides have constantly written their opinions in such as way to insinuate the other side must be wrong. I doubt this was done intentionally mind you, and not everyone has done it, but it certain has tainted the overall mood of the thread sadly. So much so that personally I barely even keep up on the thread or care about posting any of the cool stuff I come across since it just gets drowned out in the same people still complaining about how they still really don't like the game, and how evil the developers were.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I, personally, enjoyed most of my time with the game. The game started feeling very shallow after ~12 hours or so. I felt like there was no point in getting the upgrades because I never got a new one after a while... The point of getting rare minerals was just to get more money to buy a bigger ship (that only looked different and had a larger storage) and that's pretty much it.

I wouldn't get a refund even if I could get one. The game was thoroughly mediocre at best.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Steam's already come out and said they aren't making exceptions to their refund policy for NMS. I guess a bunch got through, but they're monitoring it now. I mean, you can still try if you played more than the allowed time limit, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen.

So just like playing the game! haha.

Try the Gek steak.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    hey they kind of fixed flying on planets. I booted up the game today and noticed I was allowed to fly a lot closer to the planet than I had before. Still not perfect, but much better.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »

It's like the buffalo in Oregon Trail.

"You collected 1000 lbs of meat. Your wagon can only carry 250. How much would you like to take?"

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    hey they kind of fixed flying on planets. I booted up the game today and noticed I was allowed to fly a lot closer to the planet than I had before. Still not perfect, but much better.

If you aren't flying with the close flying mod and the big things mod (which adds actual forests), you're doing it wrong.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options

His statement is really no different than the constant shitting on the game that is happening in here. One insinuates that the people who like the game must have something wrong with them, the other insinuates that people who don't like it must have something wrong with them.

Both sides have constantly written their opinions in such as way to insinuate the other side must be wrong. I doubt this was done intentionally mind you, and not everyone has done it, but it certain has tainted the overall mood of the thread sadly. So much so that personally I barely even keep up on the thread or care about posting any of the cool stuff I come across since it just gets drowned out in the same people still complaining about how they still really don't like the game, and how evil the developers were.

First of all, there are no "sides". There is objective fact, and there is opinion. The objective facts are that there were statements made by Hello Games and content displayed in trailers that did not end up in the final product, with as of yet no acknowledgement or explanation for, which may potentially run afoul of consumer protection laws in various jurisdictions. Opinions are just that: opinions. I enjoyed a lot of my time with the game. I'm glad others are as well. No one, and I do mean no one in this thread, is claiming that anyone is wrong for enjoying this game!

However, this statement is a problem:
    There is nothing wrong with Josh enjoying the game. However, that second sentence only exists to qualify his enjoyment in a way that assumes bad behaviors on the part of others. Specifically, he qualifies that the likely reason he enjoyed his time with the game is because he "tempered expectations". This language creates the logical relationship:

If "tempered", then "enjoyed"

However, because English gonna English, it also defines that the opposite is true:

If not "tempered", then not "enjoyed"

Ergo, he is also implying that those who did not enjoy the game must not have properly tempered their expectations. While in many cases, with many games, there would be no problem with this sentiment, as stated, it is documented as a matter of objective fact that the marketing for this game was not representative of the final product. It seems, in this circumstance, rather lacking in empathy that someone who believed the actual words from the developer's mouth should shoulder the blame for having expectations of the final product that did not match reality.

People got swindled. They are victims of an untruthful marketing campaign. It's victim blaming.

Enjoy the game for what it is. No one is taking that away from you. Stop assuming that everyone with a complaint just "overhyped" themselves.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There is nothing wrong with Josh enjoying the game. However, that second sentence only exists to qualify his enjoyment in a way that assumes bad behaviors on the part of others. Specifically, he qualifies that the likely reason he enjoyed his time with the game is because he "tempered expectations". This language creates the logical relationship:

However, because English gonna English, it also defines that the opposite is true:

That's not exactly true. That's simply saying that one of the ways to enjoy this game is to temper the hype. "If tempered, then enjoyed" is not the same thing as "If and only if tempered, then enjoyed".

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

That's not exactly true. That's simply saying that one of the ways to enjoy this game is to temper the hype. "If tempered, then enjoyed" is not the same thing as "If and only if tempered, then enjoyed".

Contextually, though, it's the most likely distillation of the essence of the words as written, and even if it's not the idea he was attempting to communicate, it's a valid interpretation of the statement. Which may just be English being English, but that's why it's extra-important to ensure that we choose wording that is as unambiguous in our meaning as possible.