Options

Pet [Chat]ah

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    if you own fish that are not in your fishfarm or in your freezer then frankly, I don't understand your way of life

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Like, the basic stuff isn't really an issue. They are already really chill creatures. But to be domesticated in a way that is compatible with the modern urban family? That takes more work. Like the digestive track of a red panda is fucking tiny, so you'd want to basically work towards getting it to eliminate like a cat in a litter box.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Six generations before they added a category that captured the ones they considered the most tame, ten generations before 18% of the progeny were in that category, twenty generations it was 35%

So it's doable, it'll just be your life's work

go with god, my child

red pandas hit sexual maturity around 18 months

u could polish off six generations r33l fast

I would do the maths here but I am terrible at maths

multiply the number by pi

u probably need tan...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    I don't trust a pet that was born before me and will die long after me. I'm just a roadbump to them.

turtles.png

I'm fine with turtles.

Tortoises, though

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i once got bitten by a terrapin

fk those guys

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I don't trust a pet that was born before me and will die long after me. I'm just a roadbump to them.

turtles.png

I'm fine with turtles.

Tortoises, though

Your glasses will tell it who's boss.

• Options
    And then there is the fact that a lot of people are bad pet owners, and work to prevent them from overriding generations of breeding by being shitty owners.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    birds make fucking terrible pets in general

people who own birds are like a half-rung above people who own reptiles.

probably a full rung below people who own fish.

what? bro aquariums are cool! don't put us so close to them reptile owners

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    people who attribute an incredibly broad range of human emotions to their newts and geckos: serial killers or potential serial killers

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Scheck, be our red panda eugenics hitler. Breed thousands by force, discard the undesirable ones. We will hunt you down in the end but you will have done the world a great service.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    DinoFight wrote: »

Personality-wise, I've met some interesting birds. But they still shit everywhere, all the time. Birds are just like cats and dogs, but incontinent, and small.

and fragile, and incapable of giving anything but the barest of fucks of who you are

my cats give a shit about me

they don't give as much a shit about me as say

a dog would

but

certainly a lot more than a fucking bird

and that lack of a relationship makes birds, reptiles, fish, etc. barely pets at all

they're high maintenance decorations that happen to be alive

like houseplants that require more work

Some birds actually can develop deep relationships with people. Usually the freaky smart ones. So this isn't really 100% true.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I feel like you would need to handle the early stages of red panda ownership the way China does it

all the red pandas are still technically the property of the Feral Cinders Corp, any cubs would also be property, etc

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    my aunt and uncle have a cool bird

she says hi and stuff

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    how do we feel about people who own rats

note here that these people are distinct from those who own guinea pigs and hamsters and gerbils

rat girls are their own odd type of human beings, i think

I had a rat as a kid. I mostly got it because another family we knew had one.

Ours wasn't terribly good about being out of her cage, she'd crap everywhere. But otherwise it was fun feeding her and seeing her run around in the wheel. The cats didn't seem to pay her much mind so that was good. She loved to go to sleep in old socks. I'd share popcorn with her when I had it, she really liked it. And few things are more adorable than a rat licking your finger. She only lived a few years. I took the death pretty hard.

A couple of years later a science teacher kept a rat for a classroom pet. Every weekend she'd let a student take it home. I got to do that two or three times. It was a pretty big rat and was much better about being out of her aquarium.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the venn diagram of bird people, anime people, and pedophiles is a circle

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Rats creep me out.

They have thumbs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I had gerbils as a kid.

I had no idea just how old gerbils got until recently. My parents had replaced them in our sleep whenever they died.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I would own a turtle, or a tortoise.

They would be a cool pet.

Have it just lazily saunter around my apartment. We would watch tv shows together. I would occasionally have to stuff it's weiner back up in it. Cus sometimes they get stuck out. Poor guys

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    people who attribute an incredibly broad range of human emotions to their newts and geckos: serial killers or potential serial killers

Either way it's super weird. Flip them over and rub their bellies. "Aww he likes it"

"Sorry to pull a youtube animal video comment on you bro but I am pretty sure it is blacking out due to its physiology and not getting enjoyment out of a belly rub."

• Options
    Scheck, be our red panda eugenics hitler. Breed thousands by force, discard the undesirable ones. We will hunt you down in the end but you will have done the world a great service.

but wen u find me i will be guarded by a crack team of red pandas armed to the teeth

the time of man has cum 2 a close

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Personality-wise, I've met some interesting birds. But they still shit everywhere, all the time. Birds are just like cats and dogs, but incontinent, and small.

and fragile, and incapable of giving anything but the barest of fucks of who you are

a dog would

but

and that lack of a relationship makes birds, reptiles, fish, etc. barely pets at all

Some birds actually can develop deep relationships with people. Usually the freaky smart ones. So this isn't really 100% true.

I'm sure there's like, really super smart african grey parrots or whatever out there that can do this but your aunt gertrude's pet cockatiel? no

so 100%? no maybe not but as a generality yes

like there's also really really smart rodents too

doesn't change the by and large of rodents or rodent owners

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    So It Goes wrote: »

what? bro aquariums are cool! don't put us so close to them reptile owners

yeah i like looking at them.

they're basically really expensive fussy decorations. i have a hard time thinking about them as pets at all tbh.

some people keep live coral in a tank and i see it as about the same thing. keeping fish is probably closer to gardening than anything else.

so yeah i guess you're right.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

a dog would

but

I'm sure there's like, really super smart african grey parrots or whatever out there that can do this but your aunt gertrude's pet cockatiel? no

so 100%? no maybe not but as a generality yes

like there's also really really smart rodents too

doesn't change the by and large of rodents or rodent owners

I think some of the more social birds can as well. Dog levels? Probably not. But I think cockatoos can. I would have to dig up some more info on it.

I knew one person with birds in my life. They would follow him around his house and sit on his shoulders. They also hated me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

but wen u find me i will be guarded by a crack team of red pandas armed to the teeth

the time of man has cum 2 a close

i was there 30 years from now when the strength of men will fail

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Will how is your dog, the one named after your favourite anime

• Options
    I petsitted a rabbit once.

Fuck rabbits.

• Options
    I feel like you would need to handle the early stages of red panda ownership the way China does it

all the red pandas are still technically the property of the Feral Cinders Corp, any cubs would also be property, etc

More like forced sterilization for the animals used as pets for the first few generations after "domestication." That way we can make sure individuals shortfalls as owners don't spread.

• Options
    Will how is your dog, the one named after your favourite anime

Everyone agree with this.

• Options
    I'd totally get a crow, though. Crows are really smart so it'd be really interesting. Feeding time would be a puzzle for the crow every time.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ravens would also be good.

They could fly around the world and tell me what they see.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'd totally get a crow, though. Crows are really smart so it'd be really interesting. Feeding time would be a puzzle for the crow every time.

Crows are next for the dominant species throne once we kill ourselves off.

Smart, teach their young, solve complex problems and so on.

They are our rivals.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Crows are super smart and pretty social but they still screech and poop everywhere.

• Options
    Crows also get killed by guns loaded with blanks, so they can't be that great

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    to me, a pet is a companion. you interact with it. it interacts with you. it knows you, you form a relationship with it. it cares about who you are and you care about it. your experience and relationship with your pet is unique to you and your pet.

a cat is a pet

a dog is a pet

a potbellied pig is a pet

heck even a ferret is a pet

fish? fish are decorations, dude

snakes are decorations

arachnids are decorations

they're in the same class of things as houseplants; they're alive, sure, but they're not pets. They're conversation pieces. They're incapable of acknowledging your existence or returning any affection given or having any kind of relationship with you. they're not pets.

• Options
    in like 130 years will we have neuro-sympathetic vocalizers that allow dolphins to speak at the level of 8 year old human beings

will we be history's greatest monsters

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    my college roommate had a ferret. he kept it in his closet.

ferrets are nocturnal, so when we went to sleep he'd turn a light on in his closet and shut the door.

during the day he'd mostly neglect it. ferrets are naturally smelly creatures and this one struck me as especially smelly. it shat literally everywhere - its cage was just choked with ferret shit and he'd let it out of its cage and it would hide shits everywhere in the room. it would open and creep into drawers and shit in them. it would shit in shoes. if you left clothes on the floor it would shit on your clothes. it would shit on your pillow. it would shit under your pillow.

and ferret shit aren't cute little pellets like rabbits or gerbils or even rats. ferrets are related to bears and badgers and they produce big squirty poos that form piles not really unlike little diarrhea muffins.

i have no idea what happened to that ferret. at some point my roommate no longer had a ferret. it was named nimh.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    I remember a conversation somewhere with someone who knew someone I knew

hi how are you went the girl I knew

not good, goes the other one

and I'm thinking like oh hm somebody died. Not a grandparent, no, maybe an uncle? A cousin? Actually it could be her cat.

my fish died she says

and tears up

I can't have been as good at hiding my incredulous expression as I thought since the girl I knew gave me a look

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    in like 130 years will we have neuro-sympathetic vocalizers that allow dolphins to speak at the level of 8 year old human beings

Oh god the entire ocean will be like xbox live with global voice chat enabled.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Crows also get killed by guns loaded with blanks, so they can't be that great

I wish I knew where that site about crows in Japan was. They are basically becoming bigger, smarter and harder to kill.

Also they use to live next to my first apartment. A murder of about 80. Freaky as fuck.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

a twee little voice coming from the tank

"hey can you get me a baby seal so I can fuck it to death pleeeeeease man it's been so long since I raped something to death why you gotta be like this I thought we were friends"

This discussion has been closed.