Options

Pet [Chat]ah

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Bored and need something to do...

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Shiv, will you use your science to help me domesticate these wonderful free and wild creatures?

Bring nature under my boot? How could I say no?

no science allowed

Science is always allowed :(

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am shopping for my dog for christmas right now because it's easier than shopping for my family.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Shiv, will you use your science to help me domesticate these wonderful free and wild creatures?

no science allowed

not in Apocalypse World, it seems

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "Can we, in fact, pretend that she is anything other than a woman scorned like which fury hell hath no?"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    simonwolf wrote: »

no science allowed

To be fair, Galaxie is way better, and has led to interesting complications everywhere.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/20011217150FSupp2d1067_11121

...how have I not heard of this before? My dad was one of the people sued by this kid, and it appears to be pretty high profile.

...my dad is an asshole, apparently....

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Goddamn, this is a cool idea:
    One of the key questions for astrobiologists is where in the universe life might have taken hold. Their standard approach is to look for places that are warm enough to keep water in liquid form and so allow chemistry similar to our own.

That’s given rise to the idea of circumstellar habitable zones—regions around stars that are not too hot and not too cold but just right for liquid water. Goldilocks zones as they are sometimes called.

Abraham Loeb at Harvard University in Cambridge says there is another mechanism that creates a Goldilocks zone but in this case the zone is in time rather than in space. He says this mechanism would have created a Goldilocks zone that filled the entire universe for a few million years soon after the Big Bang. If he’s right, that means life could have evolved some 10 billion years before it cropped up on Earth.

https://medium.com/p/239bc4cf4ece

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, there are 5,000 rabid fans watching code compile on Omni's (a Starbound dev) twitch channel right now.

• Options
    one of the things I really like about cosmology is that there "epoch" is a term applied to a timespan of 10-43 seconds.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There was a period 15 million years where the VACUUM OF SPACE was 0ºC-30ºC.

Any rocky planet in the universe was a good candidate for life at this time. WHAT IF WE GET TO PLUTO AND FIND RUINS. WE HAVE TO GO CHECK NOW.

(This is not true, the sun formed 4.6 billion years ago, 5.4 billion years after this time. Our solar system is too new to have had life on pluto unless pluto predates the sun.)

Donkey Kong on
  • Options

Any rocky planet in the universe was a good candidate for life at this time. WHAT IF WE GET TO PLUTO AND FIND RUINS. WE HAVE TO GO CHECK NOW.

...were there any planets then?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Our solar system didn't exist yet so no probably not but let's get some misconceptions out there and get funding back into space programs.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    This whole sleeping early thing? Shit, I need to do that again :(

Work hours and days I work just changed.

Oh by the way there was also a bomb threat made at my company and we weren't evacuated. Actually I didn't even know it was going on.

• Options

Our solar system didn't exist yet so no probably not but let's let the public get some misconceptions about this going for a while and get funding back into space programs.

our sun didn't exist for billions of years yet

but anyway I read more of the article and yeah it is in the reionization period since he mentions 15 million years after the big bang

and his answer to "Well was there anything except hydrogen and helium in the universe then?" is "maaaaybe"

and the answer to "the universe is hot and turning itself into plasma could life survive that? is eeeeeeeeh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I don't understand why you guys are talking about billions and millions of years

The universe is only 6000 years old

• Options
    no wait did he say 15 million in the article?

cause I remembered reionization wrong that was 150 million years after

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Hahaha, there are 5,000 rabid fans watching code compile on Omni's (a Starbound dev) twitch channel right now.

Is the patch about to get released?

• Options
    or was it for 15 million years in which case the point is moot because that's way too short anyway

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    or was it for 15 million years in which case the point is moot because that's way too short anyway

It was 15 million. At best we find some fossils of single cells if anything formed and then survived at all.

Edit: Wait, it happened 15 million years after the big bang and lasted "several million years".

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Our solar system didn't exist yet so no probably not but let's get some misconceptions out there and get funding back into space programs.

So it took about 1.3k Million years (1.3 thousand, million years) for life to appear after earth formed

So I mean maybe bacteria could have existed (or something similar) for those 15 million but the probability is low

*this post will be misinterpreted by journalists and the headline will read SCIENTISTS SAY STARGATE A DEFINITE POSSIBILITY

• Options
    STARGATE A DEFINITE POSSIBILITY

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    WHEW

Today I:
    Graded all the lab reports for my class
    Analyzed some of my new (and old) data and found some statistical significance
    Compiled a presentation for our lab meeting tomorrow
    Made lentil soup for lunch tomorrow
    packed for my trip back home

IM TIRED LOL

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

no science allowed

: /

being thoroughly uncomfortable with a bonafide homicidal maniac as a PC is legit, Simon

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

It was 15 million. At best we find some fossils of single cells if anything formed and then survived at all.

Edit: Wait, it happened 15 million years after the big bang and lasted "several million years".

we won't find anything at all, but... that's gotta be a typo. There wasn't any stars at 15 million years after the start.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

AND ALSO CURE FOR CANCER FOUND

• Options
    Arch we've all given up on using the long scale in english so it's cool

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

we won't find anything at all, but... that's gotta be a typo. There wasn't any stars at 15 million years after the start.

I don't know, I am not a cosmologist but this guy seems to think it was possible for there to have been some heavy element formation at that time?
    Loeb is optimistic on this point. He calculates that the first stars, which would have been tens to hundreds of times more massive than the Sun, had a lifespan of about 3 million years. And although they would not have formed immediately after the Big Bang, he calculates there ought to have been time enough for heavy element formation in 15 million years.

So the conditions were certainly possible that would have “triggered the formation of rocky planets with liquid water on their surface,” he says.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

no science allowed

being thoroughly uncomfortable with a bonafide homicidal maniac as a PC is legit, Simon

Science was like a lovable little Rottweiler that's been trained to murder things

sure, sometimes she's got blood on her mouth and a look in her eyes that says 'if you cross me I will destroy you and everything you've ever loved'

but deep down she's a good girl

who wants a belly rub, awww

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

no science allowed

Science was like a lovable little Rottweiler that's been trained to murder things

sure, sometimes she's got blood on her mouth and a look in her eyes that says 'if you cross me I will destroy you and everything you've ever loved'

but deep down she's a good girl

who wants a belly rub, awww

What happened in this RPG?

• Options

I don't know, I am not a cosmologist but this guy seems to think it was possible for there to have been some heavy element formation at that time?
    Loeb is optimistic on this point. He calculates that the first stars, which would have been tens to hundreds of times more massive than the Sun, had a lifespan of about 3 million years. And although they would not have formed immediately after the Big Bang, he calculates there ought to have been time enough for heavy element formation in 15 million years.

So the conditions were certainly possible that would have “triggered the formation of rocky planets with liquid water on their surface,” he says.

no it's gotta be a typo. The first stars were still far off at 15 million. But 150 million is one figure that gets quoted. The people writing the article aren't cosmologists either.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Kurt Russell or MacGyver?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

no it's gotta be a typo. The first stars were still far off at 15 million. But 150 million is one figure that gets quoted. The people writing the article aren't cosmologists either.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.0613

It's right there in the summary for the academic paper and the author, Abraham Loeb is a Harvard professor.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

this dude clearly did his PhD in Wishful Thinking

(aka Astronomy)

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Huh. That is weird but I will comment no further based on comments of his pulled by the article authors. Gimme a minute.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Harvard Veterinary College of Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    He has written multiple books on the early universe and chairs Harvard's department of astronomy. I assume "Loeb is optimistic" is a euphemism for "he filled our reporter's entire recording device with 8 hours of rigorous theory that we cannot even begin to explain in this article".

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

GO TO SLEEP

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

GO TO SLEEP

No eddy stay awake OH NO YOU FORGOT TO STUDY THAT ONE THING

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Europa Report was interesting

This discussion has been closed.