As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dentists: Your teeth's natural enemy.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Chinchy if you have insurance and dental coverage and you are not going to the dentist you are being ridiculous.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    farg please work on my teeth in the middle of the night it's the only time i am available

Yes of course

When I am actually working if anyone tells me they are from se++ ill give them like a 10 dollar discount and let them take TWO prizes from the prize chest

Yo, when can I start scheduling appointments?

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I'm going tomorrow. Bleh.

They always nag me to floss, and at this point I'm just like "nah dog, that ain't happening." I figure they appreciate me being upfront with my utter non-compliance, but I don't really care. Just polish and check for cavities and let me go, please.

Just friggin' floss already. You know what happens when you floss? The dentist doesn't have to spend as much time scraping away at your enamel, and also doesn't lecture you about gingivitis.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am a flossing maniac and if I can't find access to floss I will pull threads out of my shirts and use that.

i cannot fall asleep without flossing.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    flossing is the blurst but i gotta get into the habit of it

maybe next year...

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I have four extra canines
    one for each regular one
    the baby ones never fell out

"why don't you get the baby ones out?" you might ask.
    well because the baby ones are in the front and I don't want to look dumber than I already do when I smile

when I have the money to get them all out and get implants, I will
    but for now the Legend of Sharkmouth continues

Tam on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I have been blessed with good teeth. I'm 27 and I don't have a single cavity, never needed any kind of work, and I go to the dentist regularly.

However every visit is the same. I get chewed out for not brushing the right way or not flossing or something. And they always remark with surprise that "Oh! You have sensitive gums! They are bleeding."

Well yes. Yes they are. Because you are digging into them with a metal hook.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i'm drinking a lucozade right now sorry dentists

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have many fillings, but besides that my teeth are reasonably straight and I have never had Wisdom related grief.

Also I have one baby tooth remaining. Its replacement doesn't exist apparently, so the Dentist checks it carefully to make it last.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I haven't gone to the dentist in a long time purely out of anxiety about not having gone to the dentist in a long time and how much it's gonna suck.

Believe it or not this thread may spur me to fix that. I gotta find a sedation dentist or something though to knock my ass out that first time I go back in so I don't worry.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I don't hate many things but I hate going to the dentist

Never fails to crank up my anxiety and I always leave with bleeding gums, plus I have to pay them for the pleasure! Not fun!

• Options
    Ya know what fixes bleeding gums? Flossin.

Also Flynt Flossy but that's a completely other kind of thing.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I haven't gone to the dentist in a long time purely out of anxiety about not having gone to the dentist in a long time and how much it's gonna suck.

Believe it or not this thread may spur me to fix that. I gotta find a sedation dentist or something though to knock my ass out that first time I go back in so I don't worry.

2 weeks or so before you go in, brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time and floss between each tooth. You should be doin' that anyway, but if you're a horrible slacker this will seriously help your cleaning be shorter and easier.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    My teeth were all crooked before I had braces when I was in grade school. Then from like 6th grade to 10th they looked great.

Then my wisdom teeth on the bottom grew in (literally) horizontally, screwing up the bottom row. So my teeth on top = perfectly straight. Bottom = not so much.

Fuck you wisdom teeth.

THIS IS MY EXACT SITUATION

Top teeth - perfect

Bottom teeth - looks like I have two rows of teeth

Luckily people don't really notice your bottom teeth are fucked when you smile but it made playing the sax a bitch

• Options
    Also my fucking uncontrollable teeth fetish

Also dentists make MAD BANK which is not to be overlooked

Two root canals? That's rent for the month

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i am not a shill nor do i work for Crest or whatever

but if you are not using this shit

xuRQhrP.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Ya know what fixes bleeding gums? Flossin.

Also Flynt Flossy but that's a completely other kind of thing.

You'd think that but hahhahahahah NO

I just have shit teeth, it's a family thing (thanks Dad)

• Options
    For the trifecta if anyone knows of a good dentist in the NOVA area I kinda need to go to one

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    goddamn look at all you fuckin cake-eaters with your "dentists"

goddamn rockefellers up in this bitch.

seriously though i haven't been to the dentist in probably about seven or eight years cuz that shit is expensive as hell and i aint got no insurance.

i have like four goddamn cavities.

• Options
    For the trifecta if anyone knows of a good dentist in the NOVA area I kinda need to go to one

I went to Northern Virginia Dental Associates on Rolling Road in Springfield, right up between the Whole Foods and the High School. They were quite good.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I take care of my teeth, but I have bad enamel courtesy of my dad. So for awhile I'd go in and they'd lecture me about flossing, because I needed another filling, and I'd tell them I floss religiously. Then they'd sort of pause and finally say, "...oh. Well, keep doing that."

It's gotten better lately, because most of the weak enamel has been replaced with fillings. Of course, it's now getting to the point where some of the older fillings need to be replaced... the circle of life.

(I don't mind, really. I've gotten used to it, and I have no horror stories.)

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Floss Sticks are the light.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    farg please work on my teeth in the middle of the night it's the only time i am available

Yes of course

When I am actually working if anyone tells me they are from se++ ill give them like a 10 dollar discount and let them take TWO prizes from the prize chest

Yo, when can I start scheduling appointments?

Not for a long while but if you pay me like 50 bucks and give me your insurance info ill give you one of those sticky hand things and then throw the insurance info away because I can't do anything with it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I get to go tomorrow to finish getting fillings to fix my several years of depressive neglect and abuse.

Then all I need is a crown on one of my molars and I'll be set for life because I am never not taking care of my teeth again because holy shit getting deep as all hell fillings in every corner of your mouth sucks.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

2 weeks or so before you go in, brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time and floss between each tooth. You should be doin' that anyway, but if you're a horrible slacker this will seriously help your cleaning be shorter and easier.

I already brush twice a day because otherwise my mouth tastes and feels disgusting (seriously how do people not do this...it's like people who don't shower daily ugh gross), though flossing is more infrequent.

rhylith on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    my dentist tried to remove my wisdom teeth himself instead of sending me to a dental surgeon

after 45 minutes of pulling he finally got the top left wisdom tooth out
    I still have the rest of them, but since they weren't crowding/impacted/bad I haven't rushed to get the rest out. especially now that I don't have dental insurance, which ironically costs the same per year to get the wisdom teeth removed

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My dad always liked to tell me how when he was a teenager he had to have his wisdom teeth out. They were stubborn so the dentist had to break them into pieces with a little hammer and chiesel. That story made me afraid of my wisdom teeth coming in to the point where mouth pain of any kind got me freaked out.

Luckily despite my tiny mouth I was able to keep my wisdom teeth. I just had to suffer the dull ache of teething for a few weeks.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    No, because you see, fluoride in the drinking water is how the government is trying to control your mind, man.

Don't you know Hitler did the same thing? Wake up sheeple!

My roommate's dad is a dentist, and he can always tell if a kid he sees grew up drinking non-fluoridated water- he's installed fillings and crowns on 8-year-olds.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    For a very long time I avoided seeing my dentist, but then a few years ago when I was on my lunch break a small piece of a tooth fell out, followed shortly by some of the worst pain I've ever had. I'd never had any cavities up until then, and he found a few more working their way into my teeth. So now I floss all the time and I'm much more thorough with brushing.

I haven't been back in a while though. Unfortunately I don't have dental insurance so that shit gets really expensive

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had a shithouse dentist in germany - he was probably technically fine, but he was a con artist and a jerk, and i swear his techs were hired for looks not competence (not one of them could take an xray in less than five goes, I'm probably gonna get face cancer now).

Anyway I basically ended up getting a bunch of filling replacements I may or may not have needed, but on one of them he found decay behind the filling and said I needed a root canal (which ended up being a total cost of 4000 euro!), and then he fucked up the root canal! "oh now you need a resection whoops" "Ok well I'm moving this month and won't have health insurance till who knows when so how about you do that RIGHT NOW" so I made him do it right then and there but he was really shirty and rough and didn't anaesthetize enough and also left my face horribly bruised.

Anyway the reason he managed to get away with charging so much is that when I'd agreed to the assessment I'd thought the estimated costs included a wisdom tooth extraction. Turned out no, that was a whole separate thing, so ok now I've STILL got my bullshit sideways wisdom teeth and what with one thing and another I haven't got the time to take off work to get them out but I know next time I go to the dentist they're gonna want to schedule that so basically I've been ducking the dentist for at least a year. Definitely need a clean and two crowns and three wisdom teeth out, and that's if nothing else has gone wrong.

ugh I hate teeth.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Marathon wrote: »
    No, because you see, fluoride in the drinking water is how the government is trying to control your mind, man.

Don't you know Hitler did the same thing? Wake up sheeple!

Hell yeah he did, from the irreplaceable educate-yourself.org:

"According to Charles Perkins, who was appointed post-war head of the German chemical giant I.G. Farben, “The real reason behind water fluoridation is not to benefit children’s teeth…The real purpose behind water fluoridation is to reduce the resistance of the masses to domination, control and loss of liberty…The German chemists worked out a very ingenious and far-reaching plan of mass-control which was submitted to and adopted by the German General Staff. This plan was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water supplies…Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual’s power to resist domination, by slowly poisoning and narcotizing a certain area of the brain, thus making him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him.”

His remarks were reinforced by Dr. E.H. Bonner, who was the great Albert Einstein’s nephew: “Even in small quantities sodium fluoride is a deadly poison to which no effective antidote has ever been found.” For those wishing a more complete reading on this subject, please reference “The Crime and Punishment of I.G. Farben,” by Joseph Borken."

Peen on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Had a dentist appointment yesterday morning.

I don't floss, I typically brush once a day, and I drink a lot of soda.

"Your teeth and gums look great! You do a very good job at home. You must floss often."

"No, virtually never."

"Oh, then you must brush at least twice a day."

"No, I usually forget to do it at night."

"Well whatever you're doing, keep it up because your gums look great and there was only one spot I could see that could have used a little extra attention when brushing."

I'm not sure if my dentist is nuts or if I have been blessed with immunity from bad oral hygiene.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    a lot of teeth and enamel stuff is genetic so you could be the bestest flosser ever and still have trouble, or the worst and be fine

but really, it's better to play the odds.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'm damaging my teeth every time I bite down because of a stupid "Nordic jaw" or something or other.

What it means is I need periodontal surgery to prevent my teeth from eventually falling out of my head.

Dammit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I have some TMJ issues on my left side, so I got the short end of the stick there.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    sweet

just got a letter telling me my works benefits have to drop dental

: \

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I was at the dentist's when I was about thirteen

"it looks like you might need braces", he said

I didn't say anything to that, mostly because my mouth was full of cotton and surgical steel

"do you want braces?"

"no"

and that's how I talked my way out of getting braces

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I had braces for about five years. My orthodontist was terrible and I probably need braces again which is half the reason I haven't been to a dentist in years (the other reason, of course, is money).

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I had braces.

I had to wear headgear for a while during the night. That shit fucking hurts.

and whatever the stuff is they use to glue the brackets to your teeth tastes like butt.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I remember breaking my lower retainer in half when I was playing hockey.

then during the night I swallowed half of it. Those metal bits sure tear you up.

I was smart though, and didn't tell anyone.
    not actually smart at all

mcp on