As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dentists: Your teeth's natural enemy.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'll have to wear braces for another 3-4 months after the wires come off, and then I have to go to either a removable retainer which has to be worn all the time for at least a year, or a permanent retainer which is a wire running along the inner side of your teeth.

I'm thinking of getting the permanent one for a year, then switching to the removable one when I only have to put it in overnight once a week

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i should have had braces but it never became totally pressing so i never did

i hate my overbite but I hate dealing with dentists and doctors more, so eh I guess.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    One thing I'm going to have to deal with in moving across the country is finding a new dentist. That's going to be a big deal for me. I've had the same dentist since I've had teeth. He is literally the first and only dentist I have ever had and the only man I've trusted with a god damn drill inside my mouth. After I move out to BC, I'll have to find a new dude and that's gonna be... a thing.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I put off having my three wisdom teeth cut out for years and years, until an x-ray revealed one of them was growing into a nerve in my jaw. Scheduled the surgery immediately and was the best decision I've made in awhile. The prep room they put me in had a clock, and the recovery room also had a clock in view, so upon gaining consciousness afterward I was alarmed that I had lost three hours of my life. Whatever they used to knock me out was the good stuff. I recall them telling me to count backwards from ten, and I am fairly certain I got most of the way through nine.

Anyway, get yo chomps looked at a couple times a year.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am so lucky in that all my wisdom teeth came in perfectly straight.

genetic throwback what what

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I am so lucky in that all my wisdom teeth came in perfectly straight.

genetic throwback what what

Yup me too. Meanwhile, my sister had 4 impacted ones. Regarding dentists, I've been going to the same guy since I was... 5? I don't know if I can remember the last time a hygienist has cleaned my teeth.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I get a lot of compliments on my teeth, which is weird because I don't think they're anything special! my front teeth are a little crooked (they turn in toward each other slightly) but I guess my teeth are pretty healthy/white. I attribute this to dental coverage as a child, daily flossing and arm and hammer toothpaste

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I'll have to wear braces for another 3-4 months after the wires come off, and then I have to go to either a removable retainer which has to be worn all the time for at least a year, or a permanent retainer which is a wire running along the inner side of your teeth.

I'm thinking of getting the permanent one for a year, then switching to the removable one when I only have to put it in overnight once a week

How big is the permanent one you'd get? I've had a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth for the last 15 years. It's attached to the two outermost of the six middle teeth, and it doesn't bother me at all, aside from a little extra scraping at dental checkups. Occasionally I get a piece of food stuck under it, but that's nothing a toothpick or some floss can't fix.

Basically I'm saying yes, do that. Wearing a removable retainer all the time sucks.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I had braces, headgear, retainer and a metal spring-thingy in my mouth.

I got the metal spring-thingy because I lied to my orthodontist about wearing my headgear, which I didn't for eight or nine months.

I didn't wear my headgear because if I extended my jaw too much the elastic rubber in it would snap out, shoot around and slap me in the face something fierce. And this would happen at night, while asleep. I'd be awoken to my headgear slapping me.

FUCK THAT!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Gah I've had a lot of work done and need more work done and should call my dentist buuut I really don't like needles.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I have never had a cavity or braces. I am very thankful.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I like going to the dentist but I only go once every few years.

it's a nice ego booster hearing him talk about how great my teeth are

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    This thread made me self conscious.

Brushed, flossed and mouthwashed like mad when I got home

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I had braces, and before that I had the palate spreader that goes in the top part of your jaw and moves your teeth apart. Every week or so one of my parents would get the key and crank it a few turns.

Man, it doesn't seem like we've come a long way from the Middle Ages.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i had braces but i've never had a cavity

i do gotta get into a better habit about flossing though. my teeth are sent down from the the heavens themselves but my gums are a different story

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    also I think "gums" might be the grossest name for an organ in the body

also the most descriptive

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I can definitely tell when someone doesn't floss now. you can get away with it as a kid but as an adult that won't fly.

I took it to heart when the dentist told me to floss or get cavities. now the thought of not flossing is ugh.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That springy thing is called a palate expander. You crank it each night to expand the palate laterally. My mom refused to get anywhere near the thing

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    When I was 19 I got really sick with some kinda ears/nose/throat thing, it made my tonsils swell up and eventually the swelling made it all the way up the right side of my palate, right up to my gum line

When I got better the swelling went down but my palate now has the texture of a wrinkly old deflated balloon on that side, all kinds of weird ridges and valleys and shit where it used to be smooth

I have mentioned this to several doctors and they all act like I'm crazy when I say it

• Options
    Also my bottom wisdom teeth grew in horizontally and they were so difficult to get out that the doctor nicked a nerve on the left side of my mouth and now the far left edge of my tongue is numb

My mouth is a screaming wasteland

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have no fillings or anything. Last time I went to the dentist was after a 5 year break and he said my teeth were fine, come back in 2 years.

I have two wisdom teeth through, never noticed it happening.

So far I have been pretty lucky with my teeth!

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I am so excited to have dental insurance with this new job. I think it starts next month. Gotta double check.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I remember when my brother got his wisdom teeth out, he came home after the operation looking like a bashing victim, with a massive swollen face, super bad bruising and blood and saliva oozing out all over the place, all the while being high as balls and unable to do anything about keeping himself clean.

Then for the next week or so, no matter what he tried to do about it, his breath smelled like a days old corpse whenever opened his mouth.

I am super glad I scored the good teeth.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Until last year I hadn't been to the dentist since high school, but miraculously all I needed was some plaque cleaned up. I eat a lot of sweets but I don't drink cola so I guess that helps. I liked the dentist I used, she was pretty pleasant.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I hate my teeth utterly.

Also I have a bad underbite. The only way to fix it is to have my jaw broken and then I would have to have braces for my lower teeth.

If I'm ever a TV celebrity, then maybe. Otherwise, no.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Until last year I hadn't been to the dentist since high school, but miraculously all I needed was some plaque cleaned up. I eat a lot of sweets but I don't drink cola so I guess that helps. I liked the dentist I used, she was pretty pleasant.

No you goose, you gotta drink coke so that the acid kills all the bacteria!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    when my wisdom teeth were coming in, they sort of pushed the gums up a little and created this tiny cavern within my mouth. naturally, some bacteria felt this was a great place to set up their winter vacation, and over the next few days i experienced some of the most constant and exhausting pain i've ever felt. this was then exacerbated by all of the nearby dentists being out on actual vacation, so it took an abnormally long time to get proper treatment for it

almost nothing in my life has been as relaxing as waking up from anesthetic with those motherfuckers that started that bullshit ripped from my mouth so that they could be destroyed for their crimes against their nation

execute all wisdom teeth

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    It's been about a year since my last cleaning. I'm definitely due.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

How big is the permanent one you'd get? I've had a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth for the last 15 years. It's attached to the two outermost of the six middle teeth, and it doesn't bother me at all, aside from a little extra scraping at dental checkups. Occasionally I get a piece of food stuck under it, but that's nothing a toothpick or some floss can't fix.

Basically I'm saying yes, do that. Wearing a removable retainer all the time sucks.

It's basically one or two milimetre wide wire running along the teeth on the inside of your mouth

I'll have to see how it works, but as it stands I'm expecting that, like braces, it will make flossing the most fucking annoying thing ever (and before braces I did actually enjoy flossing every day, but since then I've cut back just because of how annoying it is to maybe once every couple weeks?)

And it's just annoying having outside things in my mouth

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm so glad I haven't had to be worried about wisdom teeth, and at this rate it looks like I'm going to get away scot free.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »

No you goose, you gotta drink coke so that the acid kills all the bacteria!

Drinking Cherry Pepsi and eating a bag of Sour Patch Kids.

Dentures, ahoy!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    i am not a shill nor do i work for Crest or whatever

but if you are not using this shit

xuRQhrP.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

I actually don't really like what I call razor floss but I use it when my teeth shift sometimes and the contacts between my fillings shred fluffy floss

300.jpg

fluffy floss is the best

I have had so much dental work because genetics bit me in the ass. In high school I used prevident (prescription fluoride extra strength) and flossed daily and still had 17 cavities! Seventeen! Now it's finally tapered off to a few every couple years but not sure if that's because I am lacking in enamel to get cavities

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    When I was young, I did not mind going to the dentist. My first dentist was a pretty nice guy. He knew how to get along with kids.

However, he retired, and got replaced by his son. His son was a dick. No social skills at all. He practically seemed resentful that he had to do his job. I began to hate going to the dentist, just because I would have to interact with him at some point during my appointment.

Then, when I turned 13, I had to get braces. It was never presented to me as an option, my parents forced me to do it. Getting them done was a long stretch of hell. It was a pretty busy place when I was there, so the procedure probably could have been completed faster if they weren't doing so many other people at the same time. Although I was in pain during it, the drugs were good enough that I felt okay right after. That was to change, though.

The day after that procedure, my face was really fucking sore. And it stayed sore for about a two month stretch. A period of time where I was pretty well unable to chew on solid food because of the agony. Despite my constant complaining about this, and the fact that I was barely eating because of it, not my parents nor my dentist bothered getting me prescription pain killers. Regular stuff has never worked well on me. I have to take twice the normal dosage to be somewhat effective. During dental work, I have them give me extra needles, until I reach a point where I can still feel the pain, but can resist it long enough to get the job done.

Fun fact: It wasn't until I was hospitalized over a decade later for my appendicitis that I found a pain killer that actually took it all away. Percocets! Had to pop one every couple of hours, but they enabled me to sleep. Without them, the pain from my stitches was bad, but the cold throbbing ache of the saline being pumped in through the top of my left hand would keep me up. Took a few months for my hand to not hurt after that.

Back to the dentistry, eventually the pain faded somewhat, until every visit, where they would crank those wires back up again. Got used to that, but then I ended up getting headgear and a retaining bar glued against my bottom fronts. The headgear put me right back to the pain levels from the first couple of months. I had to wear it while sleeping at night, but would often take it off in the wee hours of the morning just so I could wake up later without my whole head aching. I got yelled at a lot for it, but still no damn painkillers were offered to me. I only wore it at all so that me teeth would eventually reach a state that would allow for the removal of all that hardware.

This period of my life was probably one of the worst. Everyone would wonder why I didn't smile, was either depressed or angry, and generally was unpleasant to be around. Of course, I didn't want to be around anyone in my family at that time, and tried to keep myself removed, but they would insist on intruding on my solitude and then getting indignant when I made it clear that they should fuck off and leave me alone. Despite explaining many times that I was in pain a lot of the time, I got very little in the way of empathy from my family. I was basically told that it wasn't really that bad, and that I should suffer it with a smile. I know that my foul moods were not caused solely by my tooth pain (other issues), but it certainly was a big contributor, and prevented me from being able to better handle my other problems, as much of my mental energies were being spent on resisting pain.

After a couple years of this, they got removed. Also not fun, having people chiseling them off of my teeth, but I endured it, eager to be rid of them. The bottom retainer got left in. I had it for over 10 years afterwards. I would constantly ask that it be removed, as it was very annoying (Always scraping up my tongue on it), and made it difficult to keep tartar from building up. but my dickwad dentist didn't want to. Several years ago, it finally broke off on one side, but it was a weekend, so I had to suffer through a couple days of having this piece of metal trying to stab my tongue. Tried cracking it out myself, but to no avail. This time, I had it removed, and refused to have another put in it's place. I had a plastic retainer made instead, which I wore on and off for a year or so, but then put away. My bottom teeth have shifted somewhat, and that retainer no longer fits, but I don't give a shit. My teeth don't hurt, they look fine enough.

Since then, I have only been to the dentist once. My upper back of my jaw was getting very sore, and I was concerned that maybe I had a cavity that led to an infection. No, turns out I was grinding my teeth at night. ( Stressed out). and it was sore muscles and tendons.

I happen to have some old dental mirrors at work, so I check around my mouth every so often to look for cavities, but I seem to be fine. (Note to self, check tomorrow. It's been almost a year since the last time)

Now, to be fair to my old dentist, he has improved his social skills dramatically since I first met him. But, I still don't like him much, and he knows it. It's why I don't go unless I have a problem. I could switch to my wife's dentist, whom she likes very much, but I don't see that happening until something goes wrong with my teeth again. My feelings towards dentistry leave me motivated to avoid it.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Well guess who has two thumbs, has/had shitty oral hygene, a major sugar addiction and thus has a ginormous hole/quarter of the tooth missing/crumbling on the v back top molar on her right side.

This gal!

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My dentist is great. When I first went to her she was all "whoa, your teeth are the shit dawg" and I was like "thanks" and she was all like "for real this shit is tight" then later she was all "we normally suggest checkups every six months but dang, your grill is so gangsta we can call it a year" and I was like "that's very nice of you to say"

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I should go for a checkup, I more than likely need 2 fillings since last time.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I also grind my teeth in my sleep apparently and that wears them down.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    If you're worried about going to the dentist, watching Marathon Man will put your mind at ease

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The movie The Dentist is so terrible.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My mom, my sister, and I all have teeth made of some form of shitty lesser enamel or maybe crappy glass made to look like enamel.