As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Early Access [Steam] Thread

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    the duels of the planeswalkers games are very middling, they can satisfy an itch to play magic

just abuse the restart button until you get a good opening hand

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    They cant satisfy deck building though. And deck building was half the fun of the game imo.

• Options
    Yeah, the deckbuilding tool is better in 14 than in 13 but it is still basically shit

That's ignoring that you can't just build whatever you want because there is no reason to build a thing that might actually compete with MTGO

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Yeah, the deckbuilding tool is better in 14 than in 13 but it is still basically shit

That's ignoring that you can't just build whatever you want because there is no reason to build a thing that might actually compete with MTGO

I do wonder why they can't just limit your deckbuilding to the recent core set + the most recent (complete) block.

Like, that wouldn't be cutting into MTGO, because it would still be more limited than Standard format is; but you'd at least have enough cards to make freeform deckbuilding satisfying.

The closest you can get right now is the sealed format in 2014 which is...underwhelming.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They probably just have have no desire to put out an incredibly in depth game that doesn't encourage your spending as much money as possible

Kinda like how you only get two free sealed slots in the sealed campaign mode

and I'm okay with that I guess, but the deck building tools in DOTP are so bad I hate even trying to mess with them so if I'm dicking with even the single player campaign mode I have to stop every couple matches and reset the deck to take out the new dumb cards it automatically added to my deck after unlocking them

edit I would pay money for a really solid deck building and play test tool, just something that lets me access all the cards in standard (or even just current block) and play against a wall or something but it keeps track of all the triggers and stuff for me

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I need to practice heavy assault more.

Blurgh.

I like the lasher I had bought (I remembered my old account) but the rocket launcher is so bad.

Medic is so much more fun, though I never get kills or even enough revives without revive grenades.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Cool thanks dubh, you in an outift on Connery I can join?

I started one called "STOP BEING TSUNDERE" a while back, but I'm the only one it

and I enjoy the prospect of people seeing that outfit name whenever I kill them

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Played through Brothers - A tale of two sons this afternoon.

Why did no one tell me it was this good?

Admittedly, I think I had an easier time of the controls than many - it required some thinking, but most of the time everything worked out, and most of it went by splendidly.

Gorgeous artwork and sound design, the writing and story are well conceived as well.
    Somehow missed the fact the story had emotional gut punching though, so that was a pleasant surprise. My left arm still feels weirdly ethereal, like it doesn't quite believe it belongs.

ICO is easily in my top games of all time list, so it was oddly weird to be playing something so evocative and reminiscent of that while still managing to be good enough in its own right to not fall completely into its shadow. It was doing its own thing and stood distinctly as its own game and feel, but just still just be brilliant for its short stay. I'm not sure if there was anything more they could have done with that hook, but it did just enough with its premise and changed it up often enough that it didn't really get tired or outstay its welcome.

Yeah. It's going to get a Fishman seal of approval.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The control scheme in brothers works flawlessly... so long as the left brother is on the left side of the screen and the right brother is on the right side of the screen.

It breaks spectacularly when they aren't. My brain no work that way!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I know this makes me sound like an asshole, but the question is genuine, Fishman:
    What writing?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I know this makes me sound like an asshole, but the question is genuine, Fishman:
    What writing?

There's a lot more to writing than just dialogue.

broken image link
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I have never fucking played Dark Souls.

Tube you should play Dark Souls and then let us know what you think.

It is a favorite for a lot of people here.

It is also a... not-favorite for a lot of people here.

I might pick it up in a sale. It's 20 quid here, which is out of my Games I Might Hate range.

Do you have a PS3? I have a copy of dark souls but my PS3 is dying and I ended up playing on the PC instead.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    What writing?

I guess so. I always have problems commenting on writing (especially in a game like this) because the term is pretty vague.
    In Brothers, pretty much all of the characterization is achieved through animation/visual design I feel. Sure, the themes of seperation and reunion are found everywhere, and that is well done (written I guess), but I would still have problems calling the writing...well anything, really.
    Not to say it's bad, I might just learn something here

e: when I finished Brothers, I thought it was a really simple tale that is crazily well-presented/produced

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I never do the deck building thing with magic 2014 as I only play for fun and there is a lot of cheating online
    But then I only play againist two people

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Euro Trucks

Doing 80mph on the M5 with a tanker full of flourine because fuck yeah 700hp engine

Almost flip the entire rig on an off ramp because I didn't start braking soon enough

Sorry for the near-massive hazmat catastrophe!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    What writing?

I guess so. I always have problems commenting on writing (especially in a game like this) because the term is pretty vague.
    In Brothers, pretty much all of the characterization is achieved through animation/visual design I feel. Sure, the themes of seperation and reunion are found everywhere, and that is well done (written I guess), but I would still have problems calling the writing...well anything, really.
    Not to say it's bad, I might just learn something here

e: when I finished Brothers, I thought it was a really simple tale that is crazily well-presented/produced

What happens in each scene, and how the scenes are arranged into a whole, totally counts as writing.

The animators and artists need to know what they are animating and arting, it all gets planned out and written down, even if you don't see the actual words.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Think of it in terms of a movie script. Even in scenes with no dialogue, the script still describes what is happening in the scene, and the scene still counts towards how well the movie is written.

Just in the case of Brothers, the whole thing has no dialogue, instead of just a scene.

broken image link
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Finished Machine for Pigs. I quite liked it, although I don't think it's as good as the first.

In summary,

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Guys, Void Destroyer is pretty sweet. Y'all should check it out.

Also, Drake gave his thoughts on it over in the G&T Space Sim Thread, if you want to know more about it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Wow, that looks pretty awesome.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So I decided to try Estranged Act 1, because a) the store description made it sound interesting, b) it's free and c) I have a soft spot in my heart for indie games made using the Half-Life 2 engine. I mean, shit, that's how we got Stanley Parable and Dear Esther.

Uuuuuuunfortunately I get about 10 minutes in and find that it's yet another survival horror FPS where you shoot zombies in the head with a pistol.

Wow, so exciting.

It's not even very horror.

Once you realize zombies are there it just becomes dull.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Antichamber is doing my head in.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hot

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Antichamber is doing my head in.

I didn't really like that game

it seemed more like a manual for a game that never started

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Guys, Void Destroyer is pretty sweet. Y'all should check it out.

Also, Drake gave his thoughts on it over in the G&T Space Sim Thread, if you want to know more about it.

How do you destroy a void?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Fill it with stuff.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fill it?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Fill it?

That would just move it. I mean you have to get the stuff from somewhere

• Options
    I'm sorry but this destroyer is no longer valid. It's been voided you see.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Anyone play/use Rocksmith?

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I do.

It is rad

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I do.

It is rad

Cool, though I guess you need an actual guitar for it? I wouldn't want to buy a guitar without knowing if I would like it ...

• Options
    I do.

It is rad

Cool, though I guess you need an actual guitar for it? I wouldn't want to buy a guitar without knowing if I would like it ...

Yeah well, I'd say it's worth it because if you are serious about learning it is really actually pretty good about not making light of how deep and long an undertaking that is, that isn't to say it doesn't ease you into it pretty well with good automatically adjusting song arrangements and suggestions for their fantastic lessons and technique games.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The physical copy comes with a 1/4inch to USB cable, so you'll have to acquire that yourself. It's the one thing I need to deal with before I can start using it.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    When I woke up this morning there was briefly a red health bar over all the objects in my vision. Somehow I restrained myself from trying to backstab the cat.
    You probably would have earned it's respect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I do.

It is rad

I have it too! I've only had time to play for about an hour, but it eased me into playing really nicely.

I have the Stratocaster from Rock Band 3's pro mode, so luckily I could just plug the 1/4" jack in and play away. Compared to RB3 it's a lot more intelligent about scaling - I jumped into a song and could see the difficulty ramping up as I got further and further through the song. It's also really great for instantly rewinding and practicing a section over and over, which increases the difficulty as you go, so you can really nail a section. RB3 was more constricted to menus and having to manually increase the difficulty, whereas you can sometimes see notes disappear from the screen if you're starting to struggle.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131dWR7EloI
    From the author of Spice and Wolf, Isuna Hasekura, comes WORLD END ECONOMiCA. The opening video features music by Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets, known for the opening songs for High School of the Dead and Strike the Blood.

A three part visual novel set in the far future on the moon, 16 years after humans have begun to colonize it. A young boy named Haru has been chasing his wildest dream. His dream is to stand where no man has stood before, and in order to do so he needs capital, a ludicrous amount of capital. What better place to get that amount of capital by using the stock market? There are two key rules that govern the stock market.

The first rule: Never take a loss.
    The second rule: Never forget the first.

Only those who follow these rules are able to obtain enormous wealth...

Finally what I've been waiting for, a visual novel about getting rich as shit on the moon.

...damn I actually kinda mean that.

It's on Steam Greenlight now.

• Options
    Yeah I got Rocksmith on sale and ended up getting a cable from ubisoft and a super cheap electric from Monoprice and it works passably well for the game at least though I'd never want to play it for actual people that is why I own a slightly better acoustic (with a popped small e string :( )

Although I would suggest avoiding the monoprice guitar unless you already know a couple things about guitar maintenance (like I did from when I owned a squier strat a few years ago) like adjusting intonation and action and the truss rod. because mine came with a 'certificate' saying that it had been setup by a professional luthier and well, totally not worth the paper it is printed on.

I've heard good things about Rondo music for cheap guitars to learn on.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    so, I just finished To The Moon.

I believe you kids call this "Having a case of the Feels", or some such.

also from the very end:
    I'm serious this is a Big Thing
    Wait. Was all that in someone else's memory?

jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.