Options

The Book of [Job Thread]

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Both FedEx Freight and UPS are amusing me with their hilarious incompetence today. Or they would be if said incompetence hadn't stopped a process over the weekend.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Said fuck it and went to the ER.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Where's a bearing lubrication expert when you need one? I emailed a customer this morning asking for details on the OEM specifications of the journal bearings on their mill stand (clearances, oil type, recommended pressure ranges) and his reply was simply "all of the specs are industry standard" which means he's either a complete idiot or a total asshole.

As if I needed another reason to be quitting this job. Fuck the steel industry in it's bitch ass.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I vote for idiot. In fact I can almost picture the boss in the Dilbert comics making that comment.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hunter wrote: »
    Holy shit.

There's no coffee maker here.

This ...

This is completely unacceptable.

Are you working in a North Korean prison camp?

They don't seem to realize exactly how dangerous the situation is; without sufficient levels of caffeine, a marine is trained to rely on pure hatred to accomplish a mission.

I can't be held responsible for my actions anymore, we're through The Looking Glass.

Is this the new location with the new terminal? Without the old one can you generate enough hatred?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The AC is on full blast because of some "energy management changes" they're making to the building. Currently wearing the thickest coat I could find in my car while I sit in my cube under an AC vent.

Might need to go find some gloves...

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    If I make it to the end of the day without falling asleep at my desk, well, that's a goddamn miracle.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

There's no coffee maker here.

This ...

This is completely unacceptable.

Are you working in a North Korean prison camp?

They don't seem to realize exactly how dangerous the situation is; without sufficient levels of caffeine, a marine is trained to rely on pure hatred to accomplish a mission.

I can't be held responsible for my actions anymore, we're through The Looking Glass.

Is this the new location with the new terminal? Without the old one can you generate enough hatred?

I'll give a rundown when I get home, things are ... strange here.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    *siigh* So I'm still pretty new at my company (2 months) and I'm leading a project and we're going to move all the changes into production on a Sunday/Monday. I'm busily planning our implementation steps as to what NEEDS to be done on Sunday and what should be run/double checked on Monday. Asked one of the Sr. Developers if that can wait until Monday so I minimize his work and OT and gives a huge attitude about it. "You re-writing the company policies about OT?!"

Jeez man sorry. I thought I'd try to let you NOT come in to work on a Sunday. Sorry for trying to let you have a weekend off.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So, good news and bad news all 'round. The bad news? I'm back on the job hunt. They were able to extend me until the end of April at Cool Robot Place, but they can't do any longer than that. One priority they have is keeping students involved, and they already have another co-op student signed on to start in May. Given the limited space, they can't keep me on.

They did however say that they'd love to be a reference, and that if they make another offer to me it will be full-time. So this place and Water Slide Gig have both basically said "it's not you. it's me. but maybe we'll have room later and if we talk to you again it'll totally be full-time!" Which is both encouraging and terribly frustrating.

The good news is I got a LinkedIn view from a company that I applied to last week! They're a pretty big player in the defense industry. The position is right up my alley in terms of design work and I have the amount of experience they were asking for. The view came from a Mechanical Engineering Manager, too. So hopefully this means it might lead somewhere!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Yo 67 degree temps ain't helpin me want to concentrate on work.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    It's always awkward moving to a new platform for something, and contacting your current vendor on how to export your data.

I prefer to dance around it, 'cause the second they find out you're moving on, they get super fucking unhelpful.

and it's really a sign of how bad your software is when I can't easily figure out how to dump some data.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @#pipe Did you get a new job?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i hate feeling like i am bad at my job even when i do not like the job and i have felt that a lot lately

poo
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "HAG1" has to be the worst text acronym anyone ever thought of. The first time I saw it in one of my work chats I thought someone was being a jerk because they didn't like the help I gave. "HAGO" isn't much better.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

He did indeed. A picture of the most stoned panda you can find would likely be topical and appropriate.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Where's a bearing lubrication expert when you need one? I emailed a customer this morning asking for details on the OEM specifications of the journal bearings on their mill stand (clearances, oil type, recommended pressure ranges) and his reply was simply "all of the specs are industry standard" which means he's either a complete idiot or a total asshole.

As if I needed another reason to be quitting this job. Fuck the steel industry in it's bitch ass.

My money is on complete idiot. Simply because I doubt ASTM, NIST, or ISO is involved in specific clearances, oil types, and pressure ranges for all makes and models of plain bearings.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    oh my god windows 7 I hate you just pull the goddamn 32bit printer drivers off the server you piece of shit why is this so difficult

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

He did indeed. A picture of the most stoned panda you can find would likely be topical and appropriate.

Put a funny Rasta-hat with dreads on a Red Panda!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    the daily mail has softened in their coverage of us. Not even one pants-wetting subheader about "taking our jerbs" or "killing all humans"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577469/He-shakes-hands-hes-user-friendly-designed-human-interaction-Tweets-selfies-tell-David-Cameron-RoboThespian-apart-meet-tech-show.html

Ha, they have no idea...

• Options
    Lulling the daily mail into a false sense of security is a surprisingly satisfying pastime.

also we were in the Times again, and made the front cover of the Westfalen-Blatt, although I suspect the latter has a more limited circulation.

• Options
    Is the Westfalen-Blatt real, or are you and your mates just laughing at how gullible we Yanks are

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Is the Westfalen-Blatt real, or are you and your mates just laughing at how gullible we Yanks are

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blatt = page in german, Westfalen is a specific region of northwest germany.

(i mean come on, like I need a reason to laugh at yanks!)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lulling the daily mail into a false sense of security is a surprisingly satisfying pastime.

also we were in the Times again, and made the front cover of the Westfalen-Blatt, although I suspect the latter has a more limited circulation.

These newspapers are all secretly trying to get pictures of you on the front page to increase sales.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

My money is on complete idiot. Simply because I doubt ASTM, NIST, or ISO is involved in specific clearances, oil types, and pressure ranges for all makes and models of plain bearings.

Possibly but he's also being an asshole. When I was in his office 2 weeks ago he was supposedly happy to round up any and all information I asked for but now that I actually need it he's giving me shit. Oh well, I hate to take this attitude but I suppose it'll be someone else taking this shit in another week.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    You place orders. You are in SALES. What the effing eff are you asking ME what an install order is, and asking what you're supposed to do if a customer got disconnected? You have your own motherfucking IHD and even if you didn't then ASK THE DUDE OR DUDETTE IN THE CUBE NEXT TO YOU. %$#@!

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    So I'm updating my CV tonight and sending it to one of the agencies I'm signed up with tomorrow. They have a job in Galway that I think I would like.

I've really started to enjoy where I am now, and I had a great day at work today. But I'm still part time with no realistic hope of full time because who wants part time on a rolling contract when permanent staff get all the perks?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

These newspapers are all secretly trying to get pictures of you on the front page to increase sales.

Page 3.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In not really job news, my mother found my grandfather's WW2 naval officer's uniform jacket. The black ones with the rank braid on the sleeves. It fit me like it was tailored for me, which was strange since I'm way taller than he was so he must have had very long arms.

Pretty cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »

Page 3.

there were some pole-dancing robots at CeBIT this year, we should make ours do a strip-tease. He can hum his own music.

... actually that would be hilarious.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Okay, first day at the new location was full of things.

There are vending machines in the cafeteria, but no coffee maker; if you bring some grounds from home, you pay to have them brewed by a coffee jockey ... who doesn't even show up until like ... 8 o'clock in the fucking morning, so it looks like I'll be brewing at home and taking a thermos if I really desire caffeine that doesn't cost a mortgage payment.

The food in the cafeteria is mediocre at best, overpriced for sure and making me feel a whole lot better about brown-bagging it; there are several huge refrigerators in the cafeteria where you can store your food and keep it chilled, but I'm not naive enough to think some worthless shitbag won't jack my chow when I'm not looking. We're also not allowed to eat at our desks because apparently the world is full of slovenly fucks and now I don't get to enjoy my morning yogurt or an afternoon snack if I feel like rewarding myself with a bag of pretzels.

I don't really have a desk, but something more along the lines of a shelf that holds the tower and the monitor kinda like this:

Office-Cubicle_04_67h4x2DD_SL_525.jpg

but it doesn't have a top-shelf or a cabinet, so I will have to continue the process of hauling shit around in a backpack and pray I don't forget anything at home. Many years in the military and the bar industry have taught me to never leave personal belongings outside of a secured location.

Final gripe in this situation is that we don't have a time clock or any means of punching in like before, our 'clock-in' starts when we action our first case of the day and 'clock-out' is when we close our final one. It seems like an overly ham-handed way to squeeze every last ounce of work out of us and I can only hope that a better solution is in the works. Two of the department heads seemed genuinely offended by this entire matter, which is a somewhat-good-sign ... I hope.

And now for the good news.

I get to see all of my department every day and some of these folks are actually happy to see me; apparently, my numbers/output have started to impress people when I don't even know their names.

I actually have the opportunity to walk down a row of cubes and speak to my team lead face-to-face if I have a question and her cryptic e-mails make no sense. Not having to ride an elevator up twelve stories for a one minute conversation is a helluva weight off my shoulders.

The commute is quite possibly the shortest I've had in nearly ten years. It took me exactly seventeen minutes to go from door to door and that's with me never having been there before and not knowing where I was allowed to park (I ended up in BFE to be on the safe side).

The new terminal is like riding a golden chariot across an azure sky ... and the chariot is made of diamonds ... and it's powered by unicorn farts and fairy giggles ... and the sky is filled with harmonious music and laughter thanks to Pandora and an amazing signal for my phone. I have a dock for my phone, it plugs into a USB slot on the computer, it sits within reach and the headphone wires aren't draped over my keyboard.

I'm sure if I weren't hungover like a pirate on shore leave then I would have received some of the bad news a bit better.

But no coffee maker?

Whoever made that decision is the slimiest scumbag this side of Nal Hutta.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    There are vending machines in the cafeteria, but no coffee maker; if you bring some grounds from home, you pay to have them brewed by a coffee jockey ... who doesn't even show up until like ... 8 o'clock in the fucking morning, so it looks like I'll be brewing at home and taking a thermos if I really desire caffeine that doesn't cost a mortgage payment.

That is the worst thing I've ever heard.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    We're also not allowed to eat at our desks

That's how you get ants.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's been a few years since I was down on level 1. My various team moves and project work over the past few years have generally kept me on 5, 10, 12 and 13 for the past two or three years.

I had completely forgotten that on level 1, you can tell when parlimentary grounds services have fertilised the gardens.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular

Possibly but he's also being an asshole. When I was in his office 2 weeks ago he was supposedly happy to round up any and all information I asked for but now that I actually need it he's giving me shit. Oh well, I hate to take this attitude but I suppose it'll be someone else taking this shit in another week.

I think ASTM/ISO define standard oil types, but not where they are used.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know. And if it is internal dimension you are asking for, they can't get at it to measure. So definitely both. I've heard the same thing from companies that mold plastic parts. They don't want to pull the screw even though that would let me find them an answer.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    We're also not allowed to eat at our desks

That's how you get ants.

Sure, if every last jackhole doesn't clean up after themselves.

It's not hard, it just requires that people aren't selfish fuckwads to clean up after themselves.

Of course, if I were allowed to swear at this job, that floor would be immaculate and the break area would shine like a diamond in a goat's ass.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    ... the break area would shine like a diamond in a goat's ass.

Is that... a thing? That does not seem like something that would shine. I know goats tend to crap out those nice clean pellets, but I'm skeptical here, man.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Man, you don't have to eat like cookie monster.

I eat at my desk all the time and it's not filled with crumbs and ants.

This discussion has been closed.